• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Sw0pDiller

My guess still is 399 for digital and 499 for normal. I'm going for digital only this gen. For the last two years I bought all my games through the store. And with all those discounts going on... I feel I support the developer directly by buying from the store.

Recap:

Feature Ray Traced Reflections.
Standalone Story (trains with Peter Parker to be Spider-man).
Unique traversal and combat move set.
Seamless world (SSD/IO asset streaming/loading improvement). Thank god for this. The loading times on challenges, sidequests and cutscene transitions were terrible in the first game and break immersion.
New powers: Invisibility, and bio-electricity.
Support for the haptic feedback in the PS5 Dualsense controller. Praise thy Lord. Anything that improves the R2 web swing feedback is a MAJOR plus. Countless tries lost on challenges because of how poor it's.

Anything else we know of?

Recap:

Seamless world (SSD/IO asset streaming/loading improvement). Thank god for this. The loading times on challenges, sidequests and cutscene transitions were terrible in the first game and break immersion.
Support for the haptic feedback in the PS5 Dualsense controller. Praise thy Lord. Anything that improves the R2 web swing feedback is a MAJOR plus. Countless tries lost on challenges because of how poor it's.

aside from I can't fucking wait? yea that covers it

Recap:

I wonder if the swing speed has increased due to the SSD?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wonder if the swing speed has increased due to the SSD?
I think there is still going to be a cap but there will be much, much more improvement with the max speed depending on swinging momentum. It's one of the things that leaked SSD demo from this game showed.

This is how you get to the dream Spider-Man game. I want more mechanical complexity for swinging as well, but just being able to do the feeling of speed and flying theough the air justice?👌

Not that the prior game was a slouch. But I feel like they can absolutely up the intensity of it.

kensama

Recap:

Do we know if game will be a launch game?

kensama

It's just Holiday right now, I believe.

However, given what a huge feather in the cap this is, I'd have to imagine that Insomniac would hustle and get this done for launch day, versus a month later, lol. Its probably safe to assume it'll be there.

But with Ratchet and spiderman two game from insomniac at launch sounds crazy

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In 2018, Epic Games did better than it did in 2019. Revenue in 2018 was $5.6 billion. Epic used a lot of that money to invest in its Epic Games Store, expanding its staff for Fortnite and Unreal Engine, and some acquisitions. The company has raised $1.6 billion to date, including $1.25 billion raised in 2018.

$78,400,000 ($78.4 million) is 1.4% out of $5,600,000,000 in one year if it was in 2018.

In 2019, Epic Games reported $4.2 billion in revenue and $730 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA, a key measure of profitability). Revenue for 2020 is forecast to be $5 billion, with EBITDA of $1 billion.

$60,200,000 ($60.2 million) is 1.4% out of $4,300,000,000.

Damn, they can return their investment money in around 4-5 years.

Last edited:
Spiderman is THE game to go against Halo Infinite, its appeal is universal, much higher. I can't think of a better system seller for people not caring about Sony IPs, and it would really be dumb to launch the console without it.
While I mostly agree with you, I wonder if the game being centered around Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker could affect the appeal for the game, specially for those more interested in the character than the game per se. Miles is a character created on 2011, so, although for a lot of young comic readers he's kind of their Spider-Man, I'm guessing quite a few people don't care as much for him as for Peter. Personally (I'm a big time comic book reader) I think Miles is a great character and I'm looking forward to it, but that universal appeal might be somehow scaled down by that. I hope not, but I think there's a possibility.

Bryank75

Banned
While I mostly agree with you, I wonder if the game being centered around Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker could affect the appeal for the game, specially for those more interested in the character than the game per se. Miles is a character created on 2011, so, although for a lot of young comic readers he's kind of their Spider-Man, I'm guessing quite a few people don't care as much for him as for Peter. Personally (I'm a big time comic book reader) I think Miles is a great character and I'm looking forward to it, but that universal appeal might be somehow scaled down by that. I hope not, but I think there's a possibility.
Miles is pretty universally liked.... particularly after 'Into the Spiderverse'.

He's not controversial like Captain Marvel or Rey in Star Wars.

Miles is pretty universally liked.... particularly after 'Into the Spiderverse'.

He's not controversial like Captain Marvel or Rey in Star Wars.
I'm not saying that he's a controversial character, merely that the scenario of a character with a 9 year history versus a character with a 58 year history can be somewhat detrimental to the newer character. And I think taking into account "Into the Spider-Verse", a 2 year old movie that discovered the character for many people, as proof of how liked he is kind of reinforces my point as him not being a character as imbued in the universal psyche as Peter Parker.

Again, as I stated before, I think Miles is a phenomenal character, he's had some pretty good runs already in his short history, but I just wonder in the character's capacity to move as many software units as Peter Parker, given his history. I would absolutely love to be wrong, though.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not saying that he's a controversial character, merely that the scenario of a character with a 9 year history versus a character with a 58 year history can be somewhat detrimental to the newer character. And I think taking into account "Into the Spider-Verse", a 2 year old movie that discovered the character for many people, as proof of how liked he is kind of reinforces my point as him not being a character as imbued in the universal psyche as Peter Parker.

Again, as I stated before, I think Miles is a phenomenal character, he's had some pretty good runs already in his short history, but I just wonder in the character's capacity to move as many software units as Peter Parker, given his history. I would absolutely love to be wrong, though.
Yeah, I agree he isn't as prolific but I'm still excited.... and all I can do is speak for myself at this point.

MrS

Banned
Are we gonna get the release date and price tomorrow, then?

Vae_Victis

Banned

It's all according to a couple of dudes on Twitter that so far have a pretty crap record. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

cragarmi

As we have yet to see all launch titles, I call doubt

longdi

Banned
Pre-order-able? Talk about hitting flippers' jackpot.

but wow Sony has big balls to announce the price so soon 🤷‍♀️

I think there is still going to be a cap but there will be much, much more improvement with the max speed depending on swinging momentum. It's one of the things that leaked SSD demo from this game showed.

And btw that leaked demo from almost 12 months ago was a lowered powered dev kit with zero optimization. It's going to look even more crazier in it's final release!

bitbydeath

Hopefully he’s right.

t1594668600z4.png

icerock

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Amazon India have a page for pre-order registration too.

Is he backtracking? I thought initially he said pre-orders will go live, but now he's saying they'll make an announcement as to when they go live. Strange :messenger_confused:

I think he’s unsure if it will or won’t. I’m sure it’ll open the floodgates, official or not.

Top Bottom