• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Reveal Event Will Feature Limited Number Of Third-Party Games Not Actually Running On The Console

Leyasu

Banned
"disclaimer: this game is running in a PC environment but will be optimized for PS5.". This is definitely a good approach, as footage from such events is often misleading, showing PC builds that may not be truly representative of how the game will run on the console.

This gets said every time at the beginning of each new gen. There is no guarantee that things won't be "upgraded" slightly to make them look prettier.

It is best to not get too excited about what gets shown, because things will most definetly change by release..... Maybe even for the better.

We have had this song and dance for years now

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it’s a badly written headline, rather than pure click bait. Unfortunately it’s just adds fuel to the console warriors fire and we end up with more nonsense from both sides.

Nah, that's their MO the past few years.

What was that phrase that they used in all the PS4 marketing at the start of the gen, like every mainstream web site would have the exact same phrase like they just copied it from a Sony press release. It was something like the "PS4 is like a super powered gaming computer"

It was already kinda annoying (and slightly worrying) that the XSX games at Inside Xbox weren't running on retail XSX hardware, now we're gonna have the same conditions at Sony's event?

These guys sure these systems are coming this year? xD. Well whatever, just show me some great games. The leaked rumors have a handful of neat games I'm excited to see at the event.

...but please do not stream it! Streaming doesn't seem to work for these digital events for next-gen systems. Blame the websites and ISPs because watching these at resolution native to these games can be a bandwidth killer for many of us.

EDIT: Whoops, went by OP too fast. So they want to show games running natively on the PS5 itself? Okay never mind, that's actually a good thing. Hopefully that will be the majority of shown games. Also hope there's some recorded gameplay sessions and we can see the player using the controller. Helps with selling authenticity.

Last edited:
It was something like the "PS4 is like a super powered gaming computer"

I believe the quote was "supercharged PC architecture" but I do not remember the exact context, to be honest.

Regardless, the sooner we see footage from an actual console (like the UE5 demo, for example), and the more we see of it, the better, imo. Take away any doubt factor.

Last edited:

splattered

Not saying the guy is reputable but seems like I remember reading on Twitter yesterday he actually said 3rd parties are pulling out of the playstation reveal event in favor of putting on their own events.

Not sure how this got twisted into a more positive article posted by a click bait site but uhhh wouldn't be the first time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It was already kinda annoying (and slightly worrying) that the XSX games at Inside Xbox weren't running on retail XSX hardware, now we're gonna have the same conditions at Sony's event?

These guys sure these systems are coming this year? xD.

Yeah, I know the XSX is going into production. And I believe PS5 is as well. But it's an optics thing; if we're only 4-5 months out from system launch and still don't have any gameplay running on retail units, that isn't a good look IMO.

But I read the OP again and it seems Sony wants to show games actively running on a PS5 at this June event, so that's very reassuring.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, I know the XSX is going into production. And I believe PS5 is as well. But it's an optics thing; if we're only 4-5 months out from system launch and still don't have any gameplay running on retail units, that isn't a good look IMO.

But I read the OP again and it seems Sony wants to show games actively running on a PS5 at this June event, so that's very reassuring.
Right on. I'm not too worried because I guess I've lived through a lot of console generations / reveals so I kinda know what to expect. In the past we typically just see bullshots running on non-hardware at conferences like E3 the summer before a new generation. Then we find out months later that (surprise surprise) those game reveals that were running on "actual hardware", actually weren't.

In fact, I struggle to think of a single big next gen reveal that actually ended up being a game running on actual hardware and the company in question actually wasn't actively lying to us.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising whatsoever. Will be that way until the consoles launch. Only first parties should be shown running on PlayStation and Xbox Series X.

We should definitely be seeing games run on both consoles by now not gameplay on pc "optimised" for whatever platform, the fact that a controller pic and stuff can garner as much attention as it does shows a real hunger for next gen info just show the damn console already and games playing on it we've already seen the ghosts presentation so I thought we'd be seeing something new about the ps5 .

Portugeezer

On the ResetEra forums, Jeff Grubbs revealed that the Japanese company is going to limit the use of the "disclaimer: this game is running in a PC environment but will be optimized for PS5.". This is definitely a good approach, as footage from such events is often misleading, showing PC builds that may not be truly representative of how the game will run on the console.
Maybe it will look so good they don't want people to discount it as PC footage.

yurinka

But I thought PS5 was better than a PC? Why do they need to show it on a PC?
Because it's where game are developed and tested in the earlier periods of game development, before starting to use devkits and test kits.

Specially in launch window games, being developed in a big portion of their development without having a prototype devkit available, and even without knowing the final specs of the console.

When the devkit is finally available, there is a time needed to port the game to the devkit and to optimize it, and a big part of that is made during the last months of development. Which means that as of now, devs may or may not have the game running on the devkit, but it's more likely to don't have it optimized in PS5 and may be easier to run it with better performance in a PC that may be even have a less powerful hardware than the console itself.

In addition to this, many marketing teams don't have access to a devkit, and/or is more confortable for them to be able to capture video in the same PC they are using to edit the video, add some texts, etc.

This is the reason of why footage of even many console or smartphone exclusive games is captured on PC, and why many people sometimes thinks there's a downgrade or stuff like that.

Many months, or even years before release, devs don't know exactly final games will look on each device because during the development of all games there are many changes, fixes, improvements and sometimes stuff that needs to be dropped because it's causing some issue with something else (frequently causing performance drop somewhere else in the game, or that causes a bug when mixed with something else, or it's an effect that they though it was going to performe well in that version but later had to remove or reduce it because it wasn't the case).

There are no dev/marketing team conspiracies there to deceive players. They are humans who often aren't capable to predict how finished games will look in the future.

We're certainly not going to notice the difference on a Youtube stream that's been compressed to hell.
I think YouTube really sucks with image quality, and Twitch even more. Let's hope game companies start using another place, at least something complementary to YouTube and Twitch to upload their videos in lossless (or almost) quality.

Because people even in videos uploaded to youTube after the stream can't see all the detail, and this generation we'll see a lot of change in these smaller details.

Last edited:

vkbest

So, we gonna see trailers of PC games without the disclaimer. Gotcha.

Sony has been putting false advertising on their YouTube channel for years. Trailers from PC version to 60 FPS and ultra settings on games with even performance problems on Pro(under 30fps). Examples? Darksiders 3, Vampyr, Greedfall or more. Of course, one the game is launched they replace the video for a real video running on the console

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
3rd Party showing footage of games for a Next-Gen console not actually running on next-gen consoles.
Well this is new🤔

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well, there you guys have proof that games are developed on PC first and then ported to console. Always has been this way..
No, most third party developers use high end PC to begin developing of Next-Gen games and then move to Next-Gen hardware as dev kits become more ready available.
They don't exclusively make them for PC and then port them
What you are suggesting is completely different process.

3rd Party showing footage of games for a Next-Gen console not actually running on next-gen consoles.
Well this is new🤔

26476.jpg

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: TGO
They have shown anthem on Xbox befor 🙈🙈

If you are talking about trailers that's the 3rd party and it's almost always PC footage and they just change the controller prompts so each console maker can have a trailer for their own platform. Also if you believe that Anthem footage was running on One X with all of the downgrades it got by launch you are crazy, the game looked nowhere near as good on the One X as the original "demo" they showed at the MS event.

thelastword

Banned
Maybe it will look so good they don't want people to discount it as PC footage.
Maybe. I mean we've seen some pretty mediocre third party games so far, but we know Dice should be cooking a storm for next gen, the next Cod game or Titanfall should look bonkers, the next Mortal Kombat, Tekken and hopefully we can see some of the games Capcom and Konami are working on. Looking forward to some ground new third party IP's, they should look amazing with this new hardware.... Personally I want to see the next Ninja Gaiden and SF6.

Maybe. I mean we've seen some pretty mediocre third party games so far, but we know Dice should be cooking a storm for next gen, the next Cod game or Titanfall should look bonkers, the next Mortal Kombat, Tekken and hopefully we can see some of the games Capcom and Konami are working on. Looking forward to some ground new third party IP's, they should look amazing with this new hardware.... Personally I want to see the next Ninja Gaiden and SF6.

I would kill for a new Titanfall game. Not holding my breath but would be Day Zero for me

Gamernyc78

Banned
Took the title directly from the site, didn't want to change it because "I don't want anyone to accuse me of changing a source's words".

I too thought the title read somewhat odd, but if you read correctly. It says very few titles (a limited number) will not actually run on the console. In essence the majority of the games shown would be running on the console...….There are more precise ways to say the same thing, but these are the words they chose to use...
I posted this info previously but didn't make a thread lol

Basically Sony showing more first parties playing on actual ps5s than third party not actually playing on consoles.

Last edited:
Right on. I'm not too worried because I guess I've lived through a lot of console generations / reveals so I kinda know what to expect. In the past we typically just see bullshots running on non-hardware at conferences like E3 the summer before a new generation. Then we find out months later that (surprise surprise) those game reveals that were running on "actual hardware", actually weren't.

In fact, I struggle to think of a single big next gen reveal that actually ended up being a game running on actual hardware and the company in question actually wasn't actively lying to us.

Hmm..maybe the first Gears of War? I still remember downloading that gameplay video to watch, it was pretty insane. But maybe that doesn't fall into "next gen reveal" territory because it wasn't something leading up to a launch?

I think another one would've been Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast (back when Sonic was still a heavy-hitter IP). And Super Mario 64 definitely qualifies as they showed that off with gameplay at 1996's E3, but as you can tell we're going back literal decades xD.

Bullshots and legitimate gameplay reveals running on actual hardware seemingly died with 7th gen.

I would kill for a new Titanfall game. Not holding my breath but would be Day Zero for me

TitanFall feels like one of those IPs unfortunately doomed by bad timing. The 1st game was great and did pretty well but its host platform was already struggling due to mistakes leading up to launch that probably also affected the game's overall performance on the market. Then the sequel came out and literally got overshadowed by other games (I kinda forgot which ones but it was something of a major release IIRC).

Again, great game and that time benefited with a multi-platform release, but bad timing likely outside of their control. Maybe third time's the charm?

I think YouTube really sucks with image quality, and Twitch even more. Let's hope game companies start using another place, at least something complementary to YouTube and Twitch to upload their videos in lossless (or almost) quality.

Because people even in videos uploaded to youTube after the stream can't see all the detail, and this generation we'll see a lot of change in these smaller details.

Twitch is complete trash. I don't know who programmed that site but it's one of the worst excuses for a programmed major website I've ever had to suffer using in my life. Yes my internet isn't great by any means, but Twitch is just insufferable with the packet data loss rates, disconnects, stuttering, buffering etc.

All of which are problem I barely ever encounter watching streams on Youtube. Meanwhile Twitch wants to keep adding a bunch of non-essential trinkets and perks to the website that are just adding onto the poor coding problems. It feels like the entire site's programmed using outdated Flash or Java module, I've stumbled onto malware sites with more stability than Twitch.

I was pretty sure the footage was captured from XSX devkits (which is as close as one can get right now to retail units)?

It was? I hope so. Definitely remember some of the games having the text "targeted representation of gameplay on Series X" or something like that. Not for all the games shown, but at least a couple.

May leave the door open that some could've been on PC but you're right in that those could've been on XSX devkits instead.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I was surprised to see this, so close to launch with the Series X.

Obviously, pre-launch is a very shifting, difficult landscape for everyone, with incomplete dev kits, etc, but it’s still not a move that inspires consumer confidence. Historically, being one step removed from the actual hardware allows for the kind of lies from publishers, and it must be said, both Sony and Microsoft, that we’ve become used to before a generation starts.

Good on Sony for focusing on something more concrete, and being this far along in the process to be able to do that.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
So .. a company plans an event to show its games for the next gen for the first time on a new console but no they will show games running on PC :)

Goddammit the stupidity in this world is pure .. why this even a thread ?

Last edited:

skneogaf

Makes no difference, graphics are good enough on ps4 so however they will be on a ps5 is more than good enough.

Just show us games

Umbral

He did a similar video earlier, mostly about the BC confusion.

Love that last quip "and then wish for death when I read the comments section".

That video confirms what I thought I understood when I watched the presentation. I had to take my time and rewind a few parts and make sure I was paying full attention because it’s not my area of expertise.

Too bad “journalists” couldn’t bother doing their jobs and thus spread a bunch of misinformation and half-truths.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Developed on PC, not developed for pc.
We optimize for what we are planning to sell it on from day 1.

Yes. AND my point though is that the assets are of higher quality on the PC dev boxes which is why if/when it does release on the PC (and a lot will this generation), the PC has the better version.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So...not to make this about xbox or anything but isnt the xbox already in production? Does this mean the PS5 is not ready yet or is not as far along? I guess I'm just not understanding why the need to show it running on pc? I wonder if the games running on pc that they show will be also released on pc and possibly running on a pc with specs comparable to PS5 except for the SSD.

I dont care if they show some of their games on pc...but i do wanna know that pc's specs.

Top Bottom