• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Showcase on Wednesday 16 Sept

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The game doesn't get a next gen upgrade though
You just get to play the game at 4k/60 w/ little to no load times via boost mode on select PS4 titles (the top 100 most played). We get to experience fast load times patch or not due to the SSD. Sony said after they address the top games they will try to expand boost mode to other PS4 games.

The game has to be patched to run at 4k/60fps. Sony is confirming which games work via BC without any patches. Its the same thing MS has been doing with theirs, but some games have received enhancement patches during this process.

PS4's Spider-Man is going to be remastered for next gen consoles. We still don't know if you have to buy the Spider-Man MM to play the remastered version or if its a free upgrade when you play it on your PlayStation 5 console.

The game has to be patched to run at 4k/60fps. Sony is confirming which games work via BC without any patches. Its the same thing MS has been doing with theirs, but some games have received enhancement patches during this process.

PS4's Spider-Man is going to be remastered for next gen consoles. We still don't know if you have to buy the Spider-Man MM to play the remastered version or if its a free upgrade when you play it on your PlayStation 5 console.
Yes it has to be patched to run at 4k/60 you are right I wasn't disagreeing with you there
But it's not a "next gen" version of the game like the free upgrade Cyberpunk 2077 is getting for example
The patch allows you to enjoy the game with higher resolutions and framerates

Last edited:
thank you gentlemen.

we have new news for you

We will have the following games

our consoles prices are what you heard and we will not lower them

We will revive uncharted

We will expand PS plus
and we will raise the price to $60 a year
and we will encourage devs to use the touchpad maybe.

If Final Fantasy 16 is shown, how shocking would be that the battle system would be similar to FFX or ATB? (I won't be).

I hope that it's not going to be a co-op game. Also even how much I like FF7 Remake's battle system I'm not sure if I want new mainline FF game having it because there's going to be many FF7 Remake sequels.

DeeDogg_

Banned
20206120582780_1.jpg

Anyone can clearly see that it's a really big upgrade. It certainly doesn't look like a PS3 game to me.

The shield that you collect form the boss is the one on his crotch
Wow! A PS5 game looks better than a PS3 game?? WOW

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes it has to be patched to run at 4k/60 you are right I wasn't disagreeing with you there
But it's not a "next gen" version of the game like the free upgrade Cyberpunk 2077 is getting for example
The patch allows you to enjoy the game with higher resolutions and framerates
It is since its patched to take advantage of the PS5 power.

XB1, Switch and PS4 has MK11, but there's a Switch version, XB1 version and PS4 version. Same game, but there are some differences.

It is since its patched to take advantage of the PS5 power.

XB1, Switch and PS4 has MK11, but there's a Switch version, XB1 version and PS4 version. Same game, but there are some differences.
No it's not my friend
Actually look up what boost mode on the PS5 does
It's not a next gen version
For example, the Cyberpunk 2077 devs have stated we will be able to enjoy this "boost mode" this fall on w/ Cyberpunk on the PS5 w/ higher resolutions and framerates, with the free next gen version releasing early next year w/ actually graphical updates, more NPCs, etc,.
That's how it will work for the top 100 most played PS4 games
You will be able to play them in 4k/60 (or higher depending on the game) but they won't be next gen versions
That doesn't mean the devs can't create a next gen version but that's up to them and they would have to actually announce it like Cyberpunk 2077 and Doom Eternal
Otherwise you are just getting higher resolutions and framerates

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Soooo.... What's gonna go wrong between now and Wednesday?

Solar flare, covid mutation, aliens, media reports something inaccurately and it escalates unrest to an all out war?
Some soyboy that has been dating an orange in the local supermarket will go crazy and DDoS Twitch and YouTube because someone ate the love of their life (yes, he is one of those).
Or some BLM group will attack people using Ps4s as weapons making the event inappropriate and Sony has to cancel it.
Or some other shit as stupid as that, but equally as effective.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No it's not my friend
Actually look up what boost mode on the PS5 does
It's not a next gen version
For example, the Cyberpunk 2077 devs have statedwill be able to enjoy this "boost mode" this fall on w/ Cyberpunk on the PS5 w/ higher resolutions and framerates, with the free next gen version releasing early next year
That's how it will work for PS4 games
You will be able to play them in 4k/60 (or higher depending on the game) but they won't be next gen versions
That doesn't mean the devs can't create a next gen version but that's up to them and they would have to actually announce it

I don't need to. You're arguing just to argue at this point.

I'm using terms people have been using for years and you just want to argue about it.

If you don't like me using the term "version" then you're going to have a problem with a lot of people.

I don't need to. You're arguing just to argue at this point.

I'm using terms people have been using for years and you just want to argue about it.

If you don't like me using the term "version" then you're going to have a problem with a lot of people.
I'm simply going by the facts and Sony's and developers' own statements
There will be two upgrades
Either the boosted mode patch for the top 100 most played PS4 games (Sony's words not mine)
or the free next gen upgrade that is an actual next gen version of the game
Cyberpunk 2077 is an example of a game that will go through this
This fall they stated we will get the game w/ boosted mode for higher resolutions and framerates, with the next gen version releasing early next year
For PS4 first party exclusives, it would be up to the developers to either patch the game for boost mode or dedicate time and energy mode to creating the next gen version of the game for a free next gen update

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm simply going by the facts and Sony's and developers' own statements
There will be two upgrades
Either the boosted mode patch for the top 100 most played PS4 games (Sony's words not mine)
or the free next gen upgrade that is an actual next gen version of the game
Cyberpunk 2077 is an example of a game that will go through this
This fall they stated we will get the game w/ boosted mode for higher resolutions and framerates, with the next gen version releasing early next year
For PS4 first party exclusives, it would be up to the developers to either patch the game for boost mode or dedicate time and energy mode to creating the next gen version of the game for a free next gen update

I'm stating facts. Just get over it, dude.. You can argue with anyone about this because people have been using the term "versions" for years. Just look DF videos, they talk about the Xbox One version and the Xbox one X version.

I'm not going to sit here and argue.. Just going to mute the conversation.

Last edited:
I'm stating facts. Just get over it, dude.. You can argue with anyone about this because people have been using the term "versions" for years. Just look DF videos, they talk about the Xbox One version and the Xbox one X version.
There is miscommunication going on here
Look up Cyberpunk 2077
It is an example of what we will see this gen
I am actually agreeing with you
We will be getting next gen versions of games, but that will be up to the developer to develop the free next gen upgrade like Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, Rainbow Six Siege, etc.
So you are right
But there will be games that will be "patched" and have higher resolutions and framerates because of the patch (Sony calls it boost mode) but are not the next gen version of the game
Sony said they will focus on the top 100 most played PS4 games initially for this boost mode and expand from there
I keep bringing up Cyberpunk 2077 because the developers have said the game will experience these two phases
It will go through a patch this fall for the boosted mode, and then we will get the free next gen upgrade early next year according to them

Last edited:

T-Cake

There is miscommunication going on here
Look up Cyberpunk 2077
It is an example of what we will see this gen
I am actually agreeing with you
We will be getting next gen versions of games, but that will be up to the developer to develop the free next gen upgrade like Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, Rainbow Six Siege, etc.
So you are right
But there will be games that will be "patched" and have higher resolutions and framerates because of the patch (Sony calls it boost mode) but are not the next gen version of the game
Sony said they will focus on the top 100 most played PS4 games initially for this boost mode and expand from there
I keep bringing up Cyberpunk 2077 because the developers have said the game will experience these two phases
It will go through a patch this fall for the boosted mode, and then we will get the free next gen upgrade early next year according to them

You are right with what you say but this is something the developer has to do. Sony isn’t going to patch any games unless the original developer does it and goes through the certification process again.

Cyberpunk is one that’s not out yet and thus has to work on PS5 “boost mode” right from the start. It’s highly unlikely something like “Shadow of the Colossus” will get patched to 4K60, for example.

Absolutely. Remember how Killzone Shadow Fall and Flower carried the PS4 launch, rather than Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, Assassin’s Creed and Battlefield 4?

Average Joe: I like that game, but is it exclusive to PS4? I need to know before I buy it
Flower was a ps3 game... Killzone SF showed us how a real nex gen game could be (the basics were there, more open ended bigger level design, more graphical details, new real time effects, at an higer frame rate AND native HD resolution).

Also, battlefield 4 already set us for what to expect for 60fps games (missing mostly the dynamic resolution)... Despite being a previous gen port.

But I admit the first 18 months of the PS4 were not carried at all on the strength of their studios output, it took until bloodborne and uncharted 4 to reach a critical mass and momentum (also actual technical mastery of the hardware).

I'm not sure

Reactions: Isa
Yeah, it's nice that Microsoft is eating some of the exchange rate for a change. 99% of companies would rather round up. I hope Sony matches, because the exchange rate and tax bringing these consoles near mental barriers for me.
600$cad is so close to neogeo and 3DO prices (I know money was worth more back then).

There is definitely a wall there, I will just wait until the early adopters paid Cerni's consultant bill, the R&D and original plant setup.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Come on Sony give us SOCOM !

If there is, I bet it is entirely multiplayer. But I'd love some single player stuff; and if there were, I know voice commands have kinda gone out of fashion, but I really want voice commands!! (and it'd be so much better nowadays, think a super-responsive contextual menu that updates in real time as you speak, using the DS5 mic or a headset)

You are right with what you say but this is something the developer has to do. Sony isn’t going to patch any games unless the original developer does it and goes through the certification process again.

Cyberpunk is one that’s not out yet and thus has to work on PS5 “boost mode” right from the start. It’s highly unlikely something like “Shadow of the Colossus” will get patched to 4K60, for example.
Sony said the top 100 most played PS4 games will be patched first and the rest later
How the patching works I don't know tbh
The most popular games will be patched like GOW, Spiderman, Horizon, etc.

T-Cake

Sony said the top 100 most played PS4 games will be patched first and the rest later
How the patching works I don't know tbh
The most popular games will be patched like GOW, Spiderman, Horizon, etc.

You really have got the wrong end of the stick there. The top 100 testing was simply testing that the games ran in native PS5 mode. They don’t get any resolution or fps increases (bar dynamic res or unlocked frame rates running at their original ceiling) unless the developer goes and alters the code.

Last edited:
You really have got the wrong end of the stick there. The top 100 testing was simply testing that the games ran in native PS5 mode. They don’t get any resolution or fps increases unless the developer goes and alters the code.
My source is Sony
If they have to alter the code okay as long as the games get boosted
According to Sony (not me), the top 100 most played PS4 games will be "boosted" for the PS5
Then they will try to expand it to more games

Last edited:

vkbest

They can. Xbox is just a sub-label and can be easily dropped when not profitable enough. Nokia can tell you a nice story about it.

The Xbox brand must compete with it's rivals on equal terms, otherwise shareholders may step in. It's not as easy as you might think.

People forget too that in Europe sell at loses is legal, but lower the price to get out of the market to the competency is not

Last edited:

T-Cake

My source is Sony
If they have to alter the code okay as long as the games get boosted
According to Sony (not me), the top 100 most played PS4 games will be "boosted" for the PS5
Then they will try to expand it to more games

They can’t boost beyond the original coding limits. A 1440p30 game won’t magically become 4K60.

They can’t boost beyond the original coding limits. A 1440p30 game won’t magically become 4K60.
Okay that's fine and all but if they alter the code like you said and the game gets boosted what's the problem?
That's what Sony was probably referring to
I'm not going to go back and forth over Sony's own words :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They said the top 100 games will be boosted and if that means devs going back into the code and altering and patching the game so be it
Just give me 4k/60(or higher framerates)

Last edited:

T-Cake

Okay that's fine and all but if they alter the code like you said and the game gets boosted what's the problem?
That's what Sony was probably referring to
I'm not going to go back and forth over Sony's own words :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They said the top 100 games will be boosted and if that means devs going back into the code and altering and patching the game so be it
Just give me 4k/60(or higher framerates)

Do you really think the developers of those 100 games are going to go back and change the code? Especially when the Xbox may do it with zero developer effort because of their virtual machine? I think you are in Lala land, mon ami .

Do you really think the developers of those 100 games are going to go back and change the code? Especially when the Xbox may do it with zero developer effort because of their virtual machine? I think you are in Lala land, mon ami .
I don't know how the PS5 boost mode works (and neither do you)
I'm just going by what Sony has stated about PS4 games on the PS5
They have stated the top games will be boosted and that's what I'm sticking with
You can keep trying to go back and forth with me repeating the same thing and I'll just put you on ignore so please save yourself the trouble

Last edited:

T-Cake

I don't know how the PS5 boost mode works (and neither do you)
I'm just going by what Sony has stated about PS4 games on the PS5
They have stated the top games will be boosted and that's what I'm sticking with
You can keep going back and forth repeating the same thing and I'll just put you on ignore so please save yourself the trouble

I really don’t care if you make yourself look like foolish. As this is the last I’ll be hearing of you, I bid you farewell and hope you enjoy PS5.

I really don’t care if you make yourself look like foolish. As this is the last I’ll be hearing of you, I bid you farewell and hope you enjoy PS5.

Bunch of "I have to have the last word" morons on here :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I will enjoy the PS5 (don't have to hope) as you go on ignore while I enjoy my 4k/60 PS4 games on the PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
And if I'm wrong? I don't care because I don't care about looking foolish on a video game forum :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Only someone without a life outside the forums and keyboard warriors would care about how they appear on an anonymous online forum :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Justin9mm

phat_crazy is slightly right in the way in that Sony had actually said the top 100 games will run in boosted frequency which may increase performance. They also stated this can lead to increase in resolution and fps. But work is not actually being done on the games so I would argue the differences are very slight if any. It probably really means that the current fps and resolution would probably not dip like it does on current gen hardware in demanding parts of these games.

Last edited:
Well it’s a remake of a PS3 game right? That’s not too inaccurate. Remaster isn’t the word I’d use tho

They remade alot of assets though. A remaster is pretty simple in comparison. Usually a remaster only comes with improved framerate and resolution not with hand crafted assets.

Definitely wouldn't be correct calling it a remaster. The Last of Us Remastered however is a perfect example of a really well done remaster.

ethomaz

Banned
Just a reminder

Hip-Hop gamer is still saying PlayStation 5 will be BC with Playstation 1-4, so I guess we should find out Wednesday.

Sony has to show their Backwards compatibility features soon and I hope they show off enhancements for their PS4 biggest titles.

Sony has a working emulator for both PS1 and PS2 on PS4.
It can work on PS5.

Now PS3 is the biggest question.

Top Bottom