• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 System Update 21.02-04.50.00 Release Notes

Skifi28

What sucks here is that Sony doesn't have to get in a hurry for anything. Once you've bought their system it doesn't matter anymore. They can update with VRR in 2069 for all they care. Like a politician they got your vote, or in this case, your money, and can do whatever they want because there's nothing more they require from you. Now, the argument here is that they made a promise, like a politician, to do something. In this case add VRR, which they haven't. Now if they wanna keep getting your money/vote they gotta deliver at some point. Thing is, Sony isn't pumping consoles out every so many months or once a year, but once every 6 or 7 years so they have time to deliver on their promise. Much like a politician actually, where elections don't happen but every so many years also. When they do finally make good on promises is typically around the time they need your vote again, or in this case your money. Sony will do the same. VRR will eventually get here and I believe that'll be when the shortage is over because they'll have another marketing point (VRR) and supply to back it up. Nothing better than a "new" feature to hype and increase demand because most people either didn't know or forgot VRR was a feature that was coming. Demand doesn't stay high forever and not having ps5's on shelves for so long people either get something else or lose interest, hence this point.
I think you overestimate the imporance of VRR for most people.

What sucks here is that Sony doesn't have to get in a hurry for anything. Once you've bought their system it doesn't matter anymore. They can update with VRR in 2069 for all they care. Like a politician they got your vote, or in this case, your money, and can do whatever they want because there's nothing more they require from you. Now, the argument here is that they made a promise, like a politician, to do something. In this case add VRR, which they haven't. Now if they wanna keep getting your money/vote they gotta deliver at some point. Thing is, Sony isn't pumping consoles out every so many months or once a year, but once every 6 or 7 years so they have time to deliver on their promise. Much like a politician actually, where elections don't happen but every so many years also. When they do finally make good on promises is typically around the time they need your vote again, or in this case your money. Sony will do the same. VRR will eventually get here and I believe that'll be when the shortage is over because they'll have another marketing point (VRR) and supply to back it up. Nothing better than a "new" feature to hype and increase demand because most people either didn't know or forgot VRR was a feature that was coming. Demand doesn't stay high forever and not having ps5's on shelves for so long people either get something else or lose interest, hence this point.
If it wasn't for Sony's games and Microsoft's controller, I would have an XBox Series X in a heartbeat!

XBox has 1440p support, FreeSync support (no HDMI 2.1 required), better 120Hz support, and better backwards compatibility.

That being said, I continue to go with Sony because they pump out the games I tend to like at a high quality standard and I can't stand Microsoft's controller with the offset sticks. Even when I played on PC, I would use my DualShock 4 even though the button prompts didn't match in most games.

The ONLY game MS has that has me jealous is Forza Horizon 5.

I went on kind of a rant, but my point is... MS has FreeSync and Sony doesn't have ANY-sync and even when Sony updates the firmware to support VRR, you know it will only be for HDMI 2.1 displays and you'll be SOL if you have a FreeSync/HDMI 2.0 display which really sucks.

Mr Hyde

This fucking system update made me lose a couple of hours of Memories of Celceta. It was in rest mode and it updated automatically and I had forgot to save. Turned that shit off immediately. Fucking hell.

sony are always slow with updates. especially for features a very small minority care about. they will take even longer because of that unfortunately. dont think i'll be getting a set capable of VRR for years so doesnt bother me personally.

avin

Did they ever give a date? Or have you guys convinced yourselves this is so important Sony just has to get on it?

avin

Chukhopops

sony are always slow with updates. especially for features a very small minority care about. they will take even longer because of that unfortunately. dont think i'll be getting a set capable of VRR for years so doesnt bother me personally.
If you buy a new TV this year and it’s not an entry level (LG A1, Hisense U6) or a Sony one it’s going to have VRR. LG C1 supports it, Samsung QN55QN90 supports it, the recent Vizio and even some Hisense models support it. And of course all decent monitors support it.

This narrative that VRR is some rare technology is just sour grapes at this point, TVs from 2019 supported it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you buy a new TV this year and it’s not an entry level (LG A1, Hisense U6) or a Sony one it’s going to have VRR. LG C1 supports it, Samsung QN55QN90 supports it, the recent Vizio and even some Hisense models support it. And of course all decent monitors support it.

This narrative that VRR is some rare technology is just sour grapes at this point, TVs from 2019 supported it.
My Sony set has VRR. It's the PS5 we are waiting on which some speculate will happen when the second revision of the VRR firmware hits the sets by the end of this month.

Last edited:

Red-Town

Looks like it's another wanking marathon for Riky tonight.
someone bothers GIF

GymWolf

What game in particular needs VRR on PS5? The console has the best lock on frames in the history of 3D systems
returnal for example, that game can't maintain 60 locked fps to save his life, if you didn't have problem with that one, you probably are one of those guys who doens't care about framerate disp because he mostly play on console.

That game would be a delight with vrr.

My Samsung Q70R only has FreeSync/HDMI 2.0 and my 4K monitor from 2020 only has HDMI 2.0 and FreeSync as well.

So I guess I won't be able to take advantage of VRR support when PS5 gets it.

Shmunter

returnal for example, that game can't maintain 60 locked fps to save his life, if you didn't have problem with that one, you probably are one of those guys who doens't care about framerate disp because he mostly play on console.

I played it, but never reached far enough perhaps to see any obvious issues

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Absolutely no problem. Finished returnal last month. It dips few hours into the run and is not something vrr would help.
it more stutters than dips and only during heavy fights. Hard to realise

Absolutely no problem. Finished returnal last month. It dips few hours into the run and is not something vrr would help.
Hahaha stutters ARE dips. Hahahahaha. You wouldn’t even notice any dips with VRR because the game wouldn’t stutter.

GymWolf

I played it, but never reached far enough perhaps to see any obvious issues
You don't need to reach any advanced point, the game just doesn't have stable 60 frames in any occasion, sometimes the dips are more severe but i notice even a 1-2 frame dips and vrr would help to make everything smoother.

You are never gonna see a 25-30 frame dip if that is what you consider an obvious issue.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Like the other guy said, vrr helps with that, you can watch any analysis about returnal and they noticed the frame dips, the game is not locked 60 in the slightest.

Constant small frame dips are literally why g-sync\vrr exist (since you still need v-sync for the tearing).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Like the other guy said, vrr helps with that, you can watch any analysis about returnal and they noticed the frame dips, the game is not locked 60 in the slightest.

Constant small frame dips are literally why g-sync\vrr exist (since you still need v-sync for the tearing).
And it will help but it's not a game changer. I am fine with how it drops now. It's not ruining my experience.
vrr will be nice to have if it behaves well without flicker etc on oled. Guardians on pc plays great with gsync and the screen only flickers on grey loading screens

GymWolf

And it will help but it's not a game changer. I am fine with how it drops now. It's not ruining my experience.
vrr will be nice to have if it behaves well without flicker etc on oled. Guardians on pc plays great with gsync and the screen only flickers on grey loading screens
I think it depends on personal sensibility.

Some people don't even notice or are not bothered by small frame dips, i personally hate them, it's the single most obnoxious flaw i can find in a game, more than graphical glitches etc.

It helps a lot with the ac games that are famous for having a framerate all over the place on pc, i'm trying both origins and odissey and g-sync is very helpful, you still kinda feel the dip, but it's far less annoying.

Tschumi

jeez i sold a bunch of stuff and suddenly my balance on this market website is enough to afford a scalped PS5 if i sell my ps4 pro, i'm shitting bricks so hard resisting.. fuck scalpers. It's not even strictly scalped it's used and has custom plates but they can sell if for this much because scalpers raise the price...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think it depends on personal sensibility.

Some people don't even notice or are not bothered by small frame dips, i personally hate them, it's the single most obnoxious flaw i can find in a game, more than graphical glitches etc.

It helps a lot with the ac games that are famous for having a framerate all over the place on pc, i'm trying both origins and odissey and g-sync is very helpful, you still kinda feel the dip, but it's far less annoying.
Maybe it changed with age/ignorance.
I used to be VERY sensitive and butthurt about all these stuff. I had early gsync monitors and 240hz gsync for that reason.
But it kinda went away and now I am blissfully ignorant... and I think I enjoy the whole gaming thing a bit more :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe it changed with age/ignorance.
I used to be VERY sensitive and butthurt about all these stuff. I had early gsync monitors and 240hz gsync for that reason.
But it kinda went away and now I am blissfully ignorant... and I think I enjoy the whole gaming thing a bit more :p
I used to be the same way. Now I just want to play games, man. Just like I did when I was a child and didn't worry about this shit on the NES/Genesis.

But PS5 only supports HDMI 2.1 VRR, right?
Right now PS5 doesn't support any VRR, so we technically don't know yet what they'll officially support. I really hope FreeSync isn't completely out of the question because afterall, it's an AMD technology just like RDNA 2

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That's my guess, but it's not confirmed until the VRR update is out.

That's what they have said so far.

"Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's what they have said so far.

"Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR."
Yep, there are 3 formats. We know it won't be G-Sync, and more than likely will be HDMI Forum VRR. Would be a nice little surprise if Freesync was there as well for those who want it.

Different VRR formats​

Unfortunately, there isn’t just one format of Variable Refresh Rate. VRR began life in the PC gaming domain, where two graphics card manufacturers - AMD and Nvidia - are locked in an eternal battle for supremacy, and each one has its own VRR format: AMD’s is called FreeSync and Nvidia’s is G-Sync.

If you’re a PC user, the VRR format you can use will depend on which of the two companies manufactured your graphics card.

It's widely believed that a TV needs to support either Freesync or G-Sync in order to support VRR from game consoles, but this isn't actually the case. That's because there's a little talked about third VRR format, called HDMI Forum VRR, or even just HDMI VRR.

This VRR format is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec and is starting to appear on a fair few TVs, even some that officially have only HDMI 2.0 sockets. It's also worth noting that a TV that supports HDMI 2.1 won't definitely support HDMI VRR, although it is likely.

Screen tearing and poor frame rates are not particularly rife on the PS5, thankfully. And if Insomniac can produce R&C without relying on VRR, then I think we’ll be okay.

Not played many UbiSoft games then because they have the exclusive on screen tearing if my experiences are anything to go by with almost every one of their PS5 games having this issue to a lesser or greater degree: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (60 fps mode), Watch Dogs: Legions (introduced when they added the 60 fps mode), Far Cry 6 (which had really BAD tearing too much of the time) and so on. In fact, I don't think I've played an UbiSoft game that *doesn't* have screen tearing...

UbiSoft games are really the main reason I want VRR on my PS5 and why I sometimes regret not having bought an Xbox Series X for the third party games. The second reason is for those games that do not hold a locked 60 fps but drop to 50-59 fps introducing noticeable judder. VRR would absolutely fix that. Too many developers are too lazy to optimise their games properly. If they did then VRR would not be needed in the first place!

Last edited:

Loxus

That's my guess, but it's not confirmed until the VRR update is out.
What do you mean exactly?
Sony confirmed the PS5 supports VRR but needs an update to enable it, just like the external SSD slot.

Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.

To be fair, it does state ‘after a future update’. That could be anytime from then until:
Buzz Lightyear To Infinity And Beyond GIF

I've just come back from the future where I learnt that Sony finally added VRR to the PS5 three months before the launch of the PS6 so no developers bothered to support it. The PS6 actually managed to launch with VRR after the Day One firmware update (these are now instant to install by the way). The reason for the delay was something to do with it only recently being added to their new range of ultra-expensive holovision TVs that no-one bought because they didn't support VRR. This was 2028 by the way so only another 6 and a bit years to wait...

What do you mean exactly?
Sony confirmed the PS5 supports VRR but needs an update to enable it, just like the external SSD slot.

Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.
I'm saying it's most likely going to require HDMI 2.1, but they could surprise us and also enable it for FreeSync compatible displays as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

FYI: XBox supports FreeSync displays.

Loxus

I'm saying it's most likely going to require HDMI 2.1, but they could surprise us and also enable it for FreeSync compatible displays as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

FYI: XBox supports FreeSync displays.
Unless Sony has they own form of FreeSync, which is why they taking their sweet time with VRR?

Edit:
Found this, it's a long read but interesting. This would be good for those who don't have a VRR capable TV. Could be already implemented too.

Is Sony adding hardware V-Sync support to the PS5?
The patent titled “VIDEO FRAME RATE COMPENSATION THROUGH ADJUSTMENT OF VERTICAL BLANKING”

In order to send the rendered frames to the display, the images in the frame buffer are typically scanned out line by line and transferred serially (in sequence) over some video interface to the display device. During scanout, certain “invisible ” signals are generated to govern the transfer proces, so that what is actually transferred to the display device for each frame that is output from the frame buffer, referred to herein as an “output frame,” includes not only the visible pixel values of the frame’s image, but other external signals which may be used by the display device to resolve how the received frame is displayed on the screen. This typically includes, among other things, a vertical synchronization signal that is pulsed between each scanned out frame image. The period of time between each scanned out frame image, i.e., between the last line or pixel of one frame image and the first line or pixel of the subsequent frame’s image, is known as the “vertical blanking interval.” This vertical blanking interval is generated as part of the scanout process, and this vertical synchronization pulse used for synchronization between graphics source and display.
PiKpuyZ.jpg

The frequency at which the vertical synchronization pulse occurs during scanout, and, as a result, the frequency at which the vertical blanking interval occurs , is traditionally fixed in relation to the refresh rate of the display device , so that each image scanned out from the frame buffer coincides with each refresh cycle of the display. If the frame rate of the original graphics content, i.e., the rate at which new source frames are drawn to the frame buffer by the GPU, is perfectly in sync with the refresh rate of the display , each new source frame drawn to the frame buffer by the GPU would correspond 1:1 to each image presented on the display device. For example, if the display device has a refresh rate of 60 Hz and the GPU were rendering new images to the frame buffer at a frame rate of 60 FPS in phase with the refresh cycle of the display each image updated on the screen of the display would perfectly correspond to the source frames generated by the GPU.

Last edited:

Arioco

But PS5 only supports HDMI 2.1 VRR, right?

PS5 supports (or it will, I guess) HDMI Forum VRR, which is a feature of HDMI 2.1. Some manufacturers decided to enable some HDMI 2.1 features in their TV equipped with HDMI 2.0. That's what Samsung did with their Qled before they had HDMI 2.1. They work with any VRR compatible device, like a Series S/X... and PS5 in the future if and when SONY decides to finally enable in the future. I mean, you don't need a TV with HDMI 2.1, those TVs already have some HDMI 2.1 features even though they only have HDMI 2.0. HDMI 2.1 has been a loooong time in the making.

Top Bottom