• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 will be revealed on FEB 5

And again, my point was the word standard, not that plastic toy A is better than playstic toy B.
Well, it can be used for swiping, etc. But I prefer the gyroscope when trying to move a cursor on the screen (DS4 has an amazingly accurate gyroscope).... I don't care that it is standard, if everybody would stick to standards all the time all we would stagnate.

mckmas8808

Banned
lol.. up until a few days ago I was reading all types of “leaks/rumors” because I just wanted more info on the PS5. Now I’m tired of all the “leaks/rumors” and just want preorders to go up so I can reserve a day one console.

Sony’s continual silence on the reveal date is slowly sucking all the hype out of me.

Why? You know the console isn't coming out until after October of this year right?

vkbest

It will be interesting if the ps5 is 8 teraflops as that quite a lot less than the xbox series ☓. I'd like to know more of what the xbox can do with the extra power than what the ps5 will be able to do = 4k@60&30fps as standard just like ps4 was 1080p@60&30fps for the absolute majority

Why people is assuming that XBOX Series X is 12 TFLOPS? Microsoft said "twice powerful than XBOX X", not 2x TFLOPS. Vega 64 is a 12,5 TFLOPS GPU but games are running better on a 5700XT (9.7 TFLOPS) because modern and improved architecture.

Last edited:
Why people is assuming that XBOX Series X is 12 TFLOPS? Microsoft said "twice powerful than XBOX X", not 2x TFLOPS. Vega 64 is a 12,5 TFLOPS GPU but games are running better on a 5700XT (9.7 TFLOPS) because modern and improved architecture.

I believe it's just a combination of WinCentral saying 12Tf, and Phil saying "twice the performance" of Xbox One X.

Honestly, I'm not convinced by either, as I could see WinCentral's info being similar to what Phil said.

Q

Quezacotl

Unconfirmed Member
Why? You know the console isn't coming out until after October of this year right?

I’m well aware. I just want the PS5 to be revealed so preorders go up and I can secure a day one console. After that I don’t care if Sony talks about the PS5 or not. Though I would prefer if they did and I’m sure they will.

It’s the anticipation I don’t like. I no longer have the advantage of living in New York and the only outlets by me are chain outlets like Best Buy, Game Stop, and whatnot. If I don’t get a day one preorder I would have to rely on being insanely lucky or deal with scalpers.

A lot of the obvious control leaks is whatever at this point. While I enjoy the “leaker” stuff it gets old without official news to put some of the BS to sleep and Sony not saying anything is making me think why should I invest my time in all this if they’re not going to talk about it yet.

Vawn

Banned
If the power difference is actually 33% or more, I'll likely get both. I do like going for trophies, so who knows, I may still end up playing multi-platform games on PS5.

If it's more like 10 vs 12 and if PS5 is actually a lot faster than Xbox SeX, as rumored, than I won't pay as much attention.

The price is mostly irrelevant to me. I spend a lot more things that get a lot less use than consoles that last several years.

I'll feel a lot better overall as soon as we see some interesting (console) exclusive games on Xbox. I like a lot of different types of games, but I continue to have zero interest in Halo, Gears or any racing games.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

Dlacy13g

Food for thought......what if the reveal is another wired article exclusive rather than an event? I say that because that is about the only way a Feb. 5th reveal is happening at this point. No way do you give all the media partners what amounts to just 1 week to sort out travel to NY in the month of February.

Q

Quezacotl

Unconfirmed Member
Food for thought......what if the reveal is another wired article exclusive rather than an event? I say that because that is about the only way a Feb. 5th reveal is happening at this point. No way do you give all the media partners what amounts to just 1 week to sort out travel to NY in the month of February.

State of Play is another option that bypasses holding a event.

yurinka

I think that having the reveal early February is compatible with these guys not receiving the mail. Maybe Sony didn't invite them because they plan to make the event elsewhere (like in Japan, their home country, or Europe, their biggest market) or that it may be a State Of Play / Nintendo direct like video.

Or who knows, maybe they make a streamed event from USA with some attendees but this time when making that VIP list they focused more on partners like big game publishers, big retailers or people from services like Netflix, Spotify or Disney+ than people from gaming media and so on.

It would make sense to make its reveal before GDC (March), in order to announce at GDC dev related stuff like UE and Unity working on PS5 taking advantage of RT stuff, some extra tech specs of the console, maybe to announce some new controller features that may interest the devs like haptic feedback stuff, maybe enhaced motion detection for VR, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Journey

Banned
PlayStation was doing BC before Microsoft was doing Xbox.

Ok fine, Sony used to do BC up until the PS3, but stopped doing it with PS4 and decided to double dip on gamers, forcing them to re-buy remakes meanwhile the PS4 was perfectly capably of playing PS2 titles. MS continued with BC and now after Sony has seen all the positive feedback MS has received over it, and the negative feedback after hackers found that BC capabilities were possible all along, they backtracked on their original statement that a new console is for new games and thanks to MS, now going back to putting in the effort of adding BC.

Better?

Last edited:

scydrex

Ok fine, Sony used to do BC up until the PS3, but stopped doing it with PS4 and decided to double dip on gamers, forcing them to re-buy remakes meanwhile the PS4 was perfectly capably of playing PS2 titles. MS continued with BC and now after Sony has seen all the positive feedback MS has received over it, and the negative feedback after hackers found that BC capabilities were possible all along, they backtracked on their original statement that a new console is for new games and thanks to MS, now going back to putting in the effort of adding BC.

Better?

They stopped doing it with the PS3 slim. They removed the PS2 chip and took out the PS1 and PS2 BC. I think the could have make the PS4 with ps2 BC yeah an also PS1.

Vawn

Banned

Better?

I guess? Still doesn't make sense to say MS started or led the BC phase.

The following PlayStation consoles had/have/will have BC:

PS2
PS3
PSP
PS Vita
PS5

That's everything except the PS4. Should it have been able to do PS1 and PS2 BC? Of course and its dumb it didn't. I'm guessing the fact it couldn't do PS3 BC at a reasonable price is the reason they skipped the older BC too.

Zero7

Maybe they'll do it like how Nintendo unveiled the Switch, show a teaser trailer with the console and a few games first, then have an in depth press event later in the year.

Romulus

Once a day I check to see if a single shred of credible info has been posted in this thread and its nothing but bad rumors that have been shot down. Thread title reads Feb 5th, and that's not happening. Dead thread that needs a lock.

For me the most important thing about the PS5 isn't the specs but the games I can play on it. To be honest though, I'm never excited to buy a console and always feel that exclusives could usually be done in the PC if not held hostage by exclusivity deals.

I believe it's just a combination of WinCentral saying 12Tf, and Phil saying "twice the performance" of Xbox One X.

Honestly, I'm not convinced by either, as I could see WinCentral's info being similar to what Phil said.
The 12 tflop Mark has been around for ages. The first initial leak back in Jan last year showed the exact specs, which was 12 tflops. XSX is 12.x tflops. And you can bet your bottom dollar MS is working on getting the clock even higher to get more out of it than 12 tflops.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sorry if this has already been answered, but if PS5 is revealed Feb 5th, then what is the Feb 29th event about?

John117

I can't wait to see the full reveal of PS5 <3 Sony give me The Order 2 at the launch of PS5 or the new Killzone :D

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
They would just be alienating their base further. They need to show the thing off, demo the UI, etc. If they take success for granted like they did when they launched the PS3 they're in for a bad time at the start of the gen. There is a huge install base that they need to take control of and start showing off the system to.

Although I believe the reveal will be delayed regardless as I'm sure they're reworking the console slightly. They didn't expect Xbox to blow everyone out of the water with the specs the Series X has which would be a smart move by Sony.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really want to see some new game from both Ueda and Toyama for PS5 or team up Yoko Taro with Studio Japan, same way Miyazaki did for Bloodborne.

EDMIX

forcing them to re-buy remakes

Sony put a gun to someone's head and made them buy something again? How can you "re-buy" a remake if its a remake? As in....a different title then the original? Did Capcom force people to re-buy Resident Evil 2 remake? How can you "re-buy" Resident Evil 2 remake if its clearly not the original? Also, if MS did BC, why did they "force" people to buy Halo MCC or even Gears Remaster?

So a remaster or remake isn't forcing anyone to do anything and is done to make money, it has nothing to do with BC. As in...you'll continue to see remakes and remasters even with systems that actually have BC...

For god sakes, FFVII was ported to PS3 and PS3 is BC to PS1 soooooooo much for that theory bud. As even Sony ported their titles to PS3 on PSN, despite PS3 being BC to PS1, it means ports, remasters, remakes are irrelevant to BC. People will buy ports, remakes etc, BC or not is irrelevant to that. Heck, I own the original Resident Evil 2, should I have NOT bought the remake? lol

Do you hear how silly that sounds?

MS continued with BC

They also continued with remasters too, it goes to show BC and remasters isn't as relevant to each other as you think.

BC capabilities were possible all along

Nope. Not for PS3 on PS4. They where correct to only focus on PS4 with a new architecture as to why they moved 100 plus million units. With PS5 its likely more capable as its strong enough to emulate.

Last edited:

Banned
Nope. Not for PS3 on PS4. They where correct to only focus on PS4 with a new architecture as to why they moved 100 plus million units. With PS5 its likely more capable as its strong enough to emulate.

pretty sure it would have been possible if they did it in a similar way to Microsoft and tested and optimised each game individually.

the PS3 isn't that different from the 360, the 360 used the Cell Chip's main CPU core for example, it just had 3 of them.
the cell chip had some weird support cores and stuff but they could have done it if they tried.

it had 8 cores, 1 main CPU core and 7 SPEs, that fits into the 8 cores of the PS4

EDMIX

pretty sure it would have been possible if they did it in a similar way to Microsoft and tested and optimised each game individually.

Nope. PS3 used Cell, 360 used an architecture very similar to PC that made such a thing with XONE very easy to be BC to. MS did a great job with 360 in that respect btw.

Even powerhouse PCs have a very, very hard time trying to emulate PS3. From what I've seen, the PS4 isn't powerful enough to actually emulate it.

the PS3 isn't that different from the 360

Oh yes, yes it very much is.

Anyone know which insiders claimed Feb 5 (aside from Tidux from above poster)

Tidux was actually showing the days left until his upcoming vacation which is in New York city. He never intended to say anything in regards to Sony. Go read his previous and current tweets. He was just excited to go to New York and was acting goofy with the days and people associated that with a leak because everyone is impatient and grabbing at straws. None of the insiders ever said the 5th. It came from Tidux as a misunderstanding.

P.S. I am in touch with PR managers over at Sony. If I get an invitation I will let you know. These people previously invited me to E3 2016 and 2018 (2017 i skipped e3) and no before you ask I do not have any secret hidden information and even if I did I would never tell you due to obvious reasons and safety of my reputation and work.

Usually invites go out for press once the event date is officially public which it is not.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Lol this guy tidux and foxy gamer will both get shit to end if this isn’t true . Because not too long ago foxy gamer got called by push square for the stupid rumor he posted before . Now both will burn by everyone if this isn’t true .

Date isn’t far off anyway .

Also wasn’t tidux a gaf member who got banned from here for posting the same shit ?

Edit : from reading this thread tidux is going to NY and not PS related . Heh saved by the bill i guess

Last edited:
Top Bottom