• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Acquisitions incoming

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And it has already begun. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Check my post history. From day #1 I was opposed to these sort of buy outs because I was concerned that it would set a precedent for industry-wide consolidation.

I've been down on subscription services like EA Access since forever for exactly the same reasons: Where these things start out, and where they end up as are two very different things. Because inevitably as one corporation proves a strategy viable, others will seek to replicate that success. And before you know it, the landscape has changed beyond all recognition.

Unlike most people, I tend to take the long-term view when thinking about such things.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I have no idea. Sony isn't exactly lacking studios. Lots of people believe they should respond to Microsoft's acquisitions, but they simply don't need to.

Now, if an opportunity arises, they might, that's why (like all big companies) they have an M&A team.
Well I maintain that it is a critical time for PlayStation to consolidate its position as market leader by adding valuable companies to its portfolio. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at Sony having a full M&A team but... PlayStation?

Give us your best guess at least!

If they acquire new developers I hope that there are studios who would benefit a close partnership with WWS.
Insomniac and Kojima Productions are two studios where the partnership with sony is very fruitful in terms of resources and possibilities, but it would be fine if the want to stay indipendent and boss of themselves. Other that that, I have an hard time in thinking other indipendent studios right now.
Bluepoint are a good choice, a lot of successful remasters with Sony and great partnerships. Quantic Dreams would have been a natural acquisition, but well, something have not worked I guess.

I just fear that with today's state of things, creator's freedom could be limited by politics.

I really dislike platform holders buying up developers. Just open a new studio if you've got the cash.

Given the platform exclusivity compared to MS and trend of neopuritan censorship Sony have been indulging in lately, they're also my last choice other than EA for acquiring anyone too.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Well I maintain that it is a critical time for PlayStation to consolidate its position as market leader by adding valuable companies to its portfolio. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at Sony having a full M&A team but... PlayStation?

Give us your best guess at least!

PlayStation is a full-fledged company in its own right. It does its own acquisitions (and it did recently with Audiokinetic), so it needs to have its own M&A team.

DanielsM

Banned
I think that From Software was already acquired by a larger group, maybe Kadokawa iirc

Yeah I believe like 4-5 years ago. It would still be a non-public (assuming they would buy FromSoftware only) buy though, probably unlikely, but after Sekiro - buy low, sell high. BluePoint makes more sense at this stage for sure.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Insomniac would make the most sense since they already have a ton in common with the quality output of Sonys other top studios. (ND, Guerrila, Santa Monica and most recently Bend)

TLZ

Banned
To be honest I can't even come up with a studio I'd like for them to buy, lol. Just somet with japanese (or non-western) roots would be good I guess

Off-topic but

"Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.

We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. "

Is this shit really needed? Or is it standard in every US corporate job offer?
It's there for image and legal purposes. Don't believe the shit you read. It's the same here in Australia. A tiny fraction might be genuine, but the majority just copy paste to cover their asses.

jakinov

Some things to note:
  • It's temporary work. So we'd probably hear about it within the next year or so
  • There's no language requirements or mention of needing to travel.
  • They are hiring someone temporarily in California.

I'm thinking it's either Unity or Insomniac. Both California companies that are very attractive.

I don't think it's Insomniac because they are pretty adamant about being solo; however, because Microsoft is acquiring so many studios, PlayStation is Sony's golden goose and Insomniac just released their (and one of SIE's) most successful games ever; they may have more fire to make an offer Ted can't refuse.

Unity would be a good choice to make more money and help them possibly make better deals. Giving free subscriptions or discounts for users releasing first or exclusively on PSN. I'm sure Unity is profitable right now and they might of some secrets that may benefit the SIE developers. Lets them at least make some subscription money on all the games released using Unity regardless of platform.

bitbydeath

Some things to note:
  • It's temporary work. So we'd probably hear about it within the next year or so

I'm thinking it's either Unity or Insomniac. Both California companies that are very attractive.

I don't think it's Insomniac because they are pretty adamant about being solo; however, because Microsoft is acquiring so many studios, PlayStation is Sony's golden goose and Insomniac just released their (and one of SIE's) most successful games ever; they may have more fire to make an offer Ted can't refuse.

Unity would be a good choice to make more money and help them possibly make better deals. Giving free subscriptions or discounts for users releasing first or exclusively on PSN. I'm sure Unity is profitable right now and they might of some secrets that may benefit the SIE developers. Lets them at least make some subscription money on all the games released using Unity regardless of platform.

Unity as in the game engine?

Bryank75

Banned
Some things to note:

It also mentions 'due diligence' which is always done before an acquisition goes ahead, so I doubt this is Audiokinetic related.

FStubbs

It'll be a midsized Western studio. 2019 Sony has no interest in expanding things on the Japanese side; Sony Entertainment seems pretty Western focused now, even if Sony still gets the best Japanese support of any platform.

I really dislike platform holders buying up developers. Just open a new studio if you've got the cash.

Given the platform exclusivity compared to MS and trend of neopuritan censorship Sony have been indulging in lately, they're also my last choice other than EA for acquiring anyone too.

Have they really censored anything beyond lolis and other type stuff?

Last edited:

jakinov

Unity as in the game engine?
Yeah. A lot of people are thinking studios and publishers. But why not a technology company? It's in the state and very close to where they are hiring the people. I don't think it's a Japanese company because I would think they would hire someone in SIE Japan to drive the acquisition of a Japanese company and ensure success, not an English speaking American.

R O C K S T A R

The rumors were true :messenger_open_mouth:

For some reason, I don't see Sony making a $13B acquisition... And I can't see Take-Two selling off the Rockstar subsidiary for obvious reasons.

Good I want Sony to buy the best company out there. I want the best games on my platform only.

647088612-its-not-enough-that-i-should-succeed-others-should-fail-kevin-chang.jpg

Last edited:

SolarFry

Can they not "buy" Telltale from bankruptcy courts and re-release their games on PSN/bolster PSNow's catalogue.

I'm somewhat concerned that the developers of many PS experiences (until dawn/david cage games) are going multiplatform. I think that will have an effect next gen because it takes some exclusives away. I don't get why they haven't been brought under the umbrella.
yes, they should buy telltale if only just to make a bunch of "The Wolf Among Us" seasons

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I doubt it would be Square-Enix and I see the Take 2 dream just won’t die, I just don’t see it happening such in the same way I don’t see Microsoft ever buying EA.

Bluepointe would be a good fit for them though but I agree with others, having a spot open for mergers & acquisitions isn’t an indicator they want to buy, every big company has a team for that, the same rumor happened not long ago with Take 2 and it was just that, a rumor. Nothing materialized.
Side note: If MS was ever going to do it, right now is probably the best time. I can't recall the last major game hit that EA has had in quite some time and their value is probably on the lower end.

Bryank75

Banned
The record company? So are they merging that with Columbia records?

Sorry, I am out of date with a lot of this stuff.
From what I understand Sony got all the publishing business and it's managed under Sony/ATV or Sony BMG. Not 100% on it. But i think it's just ownership of a huge library of music basically.

chaos789

Banned
From what I understand Sony got all the publishing business and it's managed under Sony/ATV or Sony BMG. Not 100% on it. But i think it's just ownership of a huge library of music basically.

That’s a large catalog.

Everytime I hear EMI, I think of that band from the 90’s, EMF and their hit song “Unbelievable”. I believe they were also on EMI.

yurinka

I think the best fit for them would be KojiPro, Insomniac, Ready At Dawn, From Software, Bluepoint and (to handle Wipeout, Rollcage and probably Motorstorm + Driveclub) R8 Games+ a few key hirings from former SCE Liverpool and Evolution staff.

Last edited:

Pallas

Side note: If MS was ever going to do it, right now is probably the best time. I can't recall the last major game hit that EA has had in quite some time and their value is probably on the lower end.

I wouldn’t mind if they just acquired BioWare or Respawn from EA, but yeah I suppose if there was any time to do it, it would be now.

They should rename them back to Squaresoft and fix Final Fantasy.

Why though? Changing the name wouldn’t do anything and you’ll be invalidating what Enix has done.

If it does happen, it would hurt the Switch more than anything else.

Top Bottom