• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Acquisitions incoming

bitbydeath

Why though? Changing the name wouldn’t do anything and you’ll be invalidating what Enix has done.

If it does happen, it would hurt the Switch more than anything else.

I was just kidding. I don’t think they’d buy them. Still Squaresoft was awesome so I have no issues invalidating Enix. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shu was visiting Housemarque recently, of course it doesn’t mean anything and I’m sure they’re also working on a launch game for the PS5 like they did with Resogun.

vkbest

In a hypothetical cloud streaming future, Sony and Microsoft can’t trust on third party more, because Square, Capcom, EA, Ubisoft etc will release their own streaming cloud service.

Looks like Microsoft realized this before Sony

Great Hair

Banned
Microsoft acquired Double Fine for $15mill. or less. I doubt they paid anymore for the other studios ... they are after struggling studios with certain history to fill their a la carte menu aka gamepass.

Are there any left? In Japan maybe the guys behind Disgaea which could intrest Sony as well. Still havent finished the first one on PS2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If they do buy SE, they'll probably give FF and KH an unlimited budget. :p

Speaking of Double Fine, they seemed to disappear after 2017, and that was their last PnC game (Full Throttle Remastered).

Gamers wet dream :

Sony buy Valve.

Sony full back catalogue on Steam

Valve remakes on Playstation

New generation of cross play VR

Microsoft allow gamepass on SonySteam and Sonysteam allow PSN games on Gamepass.

Microsoft acquired Double Fine for $15mill. or less. I doubt they paid anymore for the other studios ... they are after struggling studios with certain history to fill their a la carte menu aka gamepass.

Are there any left? In Japan maybe the guys behind Disgaea which could intrest Sony as well. Still havent finished the first one on PS2.

Which team made blue dragon and lost odyssey?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Studios like Housemarque and Suppermassive are small fish, I think it's more likely they will acquire one large entity. Won't even try to guess which one. ;)

The Shepard

Kojima productions
Insomniac
BluePoint
Are most likely imo

I want someone to buy bioware from ea, Microsoft should have brought them years ago but I wouldn't mind sony either, just anyone but ea.

FranXico

I want someone to buy bioware from ea, Microsoft should have brought them years ago but I wouldn't mind sony either, just anyone but ea.
I don't think Biowares problem is EA, and I have a feeling Sony and MS share this view.

Last edited:
Hopefully no one I care about, I'd rather play their games on PC.
Hope it's someone that already makes third-party exclusives.
Sony is not a fool like MS to release a console without exclusives. They care about hardware sales and install base

Great Hair

Banned
Which team made blue dragon and lost odyssey?

Mistywalker sumtim. IMaybe im wrong but theyre now mobile only (ex Final Fatansy). Dont think that there are any jap. devs. worth $15mill. or less that has ANY IP known towestern folks.

All the big ones are out of question, for Sony as well. From Namco, Konami, Square to Capcom ... maybe those making some controversial "games" are willing to go Xbox exclusive. And it still wont budge .. xbxo sale will rise by 1. Right now, if some folk sat down and orchestrated a plan on how to brain wash Phil Spencer, i bet few could easily point him in the wrong direction.

Spencer would enter the Pachinko Business and have Konami make an Xbox Pachinko Slot machine for the hard working japanese bois in suits. After all they have already some xbox Champoo/Soap ... all we need now are some green frying pans, green forks, green plates out of plastic with a fat xbox logo in the middle and some pajamas for the litte ones with Master Chief and all the cars of Forza.

#LOL

Even Sony wont find anty jap. studios on the struggle for cheap and with a reknown franchise worht a damn. There is no point in disussing which studio, the only one i see are the guys behind Disgaea and these are better of releasing their games as multiplats.

Can we have a Tonight Show with Phil Spencer already.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony buying SE or SEGA? Are you guys high or something? The company actually lose money on average every year. How in the world can they afford buying companies which would cost billions of dollars?
Maybe about 10 years ago but they sold off most of the unprofitable businesses and got rid of a lot of unnecessary staff etc.
Last year they made 8 Billion in net profit alone. Sony bought EMI music publishing for 2.3 billion a few months back and Audiokinetic who make Wwise for games.

sublimit

Banned
well it's not like there's anything stopping Sony from reviving the Siren franchise
I doubt they even remember they have this franchise. And now that the centre of decisions of everything Playstation is in California you can kiss goodbye to all their old Japanese IPs (except those related to From $oftware)

It'll be interesting to see what Toyama is currently working on but after Gravity Rush's disappointing sales it will probably be something small and low budget (not that talented developers like him need a big budget to make something interesting)

People, all large companies have acquisition managers. They don't exist just to buy studios.

The fact that they're hiring one (quite possible to either replace one they had before or to simply add one to an existing team) is not actual evidence that acquisitions are "incoming."

They may very well even get to work on already finalized acquisitions like Audiokinetic.

Should never read too much into career opp. ads.

This. People are living in a fantasy world if they think that some big 3rd party publishers like Square-Enix, Koei-Tecmo or Take Two will allow Sony to buy them off.

Kenpachii

They are bound to change or take it down so here.

324fd53989.jpg

So basically they need SJW people, and are racist as shit.

ethomaz

Banned
Gamers wet dream :

Sony buy Valve.

Sony full back catalogue on Steam

Valve remakes on Playstation

New generation of cross play VR

Microsoft allow gamepass on SonySteam and Sonysteam allow PSN games on Gamepass.
Who wants Valve? They didn't release games form over a decade and I see no move from them to another one.

mckmas8808

Banned
In a hypothetical cloud streaming future, Sony and Microsoft can’t trust on third party more, because Square, Capcom, EA, Ubisoft etc will release their own streaming cloud service.

Looks like Microsoft realized this before Sony

No! Sony already had many first party devs, so no need to buy up 5 in one year. But you are right in that first party game content will matter more going forward.

Dabaus

Banned
Insomniac, Kojima Productions, and Remedy are probably top candidates i would assume. Or smaller studious for VR.

truth411

A new job has been posted, looking for an M&A program manager to oversee integration over a 6 to 9 month period.

So, who do you think is about to get bought?

NOTE: Sony have 15 Billion cash on hand plus other cash and liquid equivalents to add to that. Plus they can loan the same amount again and keep their D/E ratio the same as it is....

There Top priorities should be: (In no order)

1. Kojima productions
2. Insomniac (They like there Independence, but still try)
3. Blue Point Games
4. Housemarque

Last edited:

Sacred

The thoughts in here are hilarious.. Capcom and Square in particular are massive corporations that have several developers underneath them, not going to happen.

They should buy them. It's been too damned long since MS or Sony threw out a large TB RPG
afaik Sakaguchi really didn't get along with Sony back in the day which is one of the the reasons why he refused to release his games on the ps3 and accepted support from MS instead. Which is a shame because Lost Odyssey could've actually succeeded if it was on the ps3

Top Bottom