• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

I wasn't really interested in a Sony Smash Bros. ripoff, but the fact that it's making people so mad means that it may be comparable enough in execution to be a really entertaining game.

Also, now that the people I used to play Smash Bros with don't live nearby, I might be able to have a version with decent netcode.

cednym

Banned
This should be brought up again -- who the hell is this?

Top half:
weq87.png

Bottom half:
ibsMoLT1nlhEMZ.png

It looks like somebody wearing Zelda's dress from Twilight Princess.

Shiggy

It all depends on your personal preference. And they devs have said many times that this is for playstation fans

The game looks to shape up pretty well according to game previews, so I assume that they don't just make a blatant copy. So it shouldn't be just for Playstation fans ;)

This is so strange for me to keep hearing as well.

Because this game obviously is inspired by Smash Bros. And which company's characters stand a chance against the level of recognition of something like Super Mario? No Sony franchise.

SmithnCo

This should be brought up again -- who the hell is this?

Top half:

Bottom half:

It looks like somebody wearing Zelda's dress from Twilight Princess.

This is from the GTTV video right? It looks like a cartoony female character with a dress and curly black hair.

Why are people continuously acting like the PlayStation brand doesn't have well known characters?

The valid question is probably, "why aren't people seeing that this could be an opportunity for Sony to present their characters?" Somebody might play this and think, "Who the fuck is Parappa? Who the fuck is Sly Cooper?" and then maybe, just maybe, get interested in the IP.

KingK

I'm betting the most likely 3rd party character by far is going to be Snake (or Naked Snake). He's super iconic for playstation, and was already in SSB, so why the hell not?

After that, I would bet on Cloud and/or Sephiroth being the most likely.

Anything beyond that I'm less sure about. I want to say Spyro and Crash PS1 designs would be obvious choices, but I'm not so confident on Activsion being able to not be shit heads for long enough to allow it.

The valid question is probably, "why aren't people seeing that this could be an opportunity for Sony to present their characters?" Somebody might play this and think, "Who the fuck is Parappa? Who the fuck is Sly Cooper?" and then maybe, just maybe, get interested in the IP.

Yeah, I did that with a lot of Nintendo games after Melee. Like Kirby, F-Zero, and Fire Emblem.

Kyon

Banned
I wonder whether they'll be able to create a better single-player mode than Brawl had, but that should not be too hard to achieve.
Still, the greatest appeal of Brawl was the use of various well-known Nintendo characters/licenses. Sony doesn't stand a chance against that, obviously.

like i said earlier, Pit, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mother characters, Fire Emblem characters, Mr Game and Watch, The dude from Pikmin arent iconic or as well known as mario, link or even the pokemon.

Exactly. Same thing happened with Smash Brothers for a lot of people.

TripOpt55

Seems the rift ring activates in the Jak level and they fly out of it and the Hot Shots Golf stuff comes back through the rift ring? Pretty cool.

Loudninja

Yes,thats a really good point as well.

xptoxyz

This is from the GTTV video right? It looks like a cartoony female character with a dress and curly black hair.

iJTZRGnXHLBic.png

I don't see the hair to be honest, seems like a short character so, could be either child like or an elder perhaps, looks like it has a somewhat large head in proportion. (I might be looking all wrong at it)

I wonder whether they'll be able to create a better single-player mode than Brawl had, but that should not be too hard to achieve.
Still, the greatest appeal of Brawl was the use of various well-known Nintendo characters/licenses. Sony doesn't stand a chance against that, obviously.

Kratos fighting bald Infamous dude of course doesn't have the same charme as Link beating up Zelda or Princess Peach kicking cute little Yoshi in the face. That's what's so awesome about SSB, seeing all those familiar friendly/cute/harmless characters beating each other up.

Sure, Sony doesn't have characters like that. But why shouldn't they make a game with the characters they do have? They might not be half as iconic as most Nintendo characters, but I think it could be a really fun game for Playstation fans that do know and like these characters, plus it could generate a little interest in their lesser known franchises, I just wish the game itself were more original.

BHK3

Banned
Why are people continuously acting like the PlayStation brand doesn't have well known characters?

If you're a fan, you know them. If you're not that sony intelligent, then you won't know them.

This is the same thing for smash bros. No one knows who the hell most of the people are in that game, unless you are a fan of nintendo.

emb

I'm betting the most likely 3rd party character by far is going to be Snake. . .

Anything beyond that I'm less sure about. I want to say Spyro and Crash PS1 designs would be obvious choices. . .

I'm pretty interested in how Snake's moveset turns out. Assuming he's in of course, that would mean he's in both this and Smash. Do they use his Smash moveset as a base? Would Konami want them to? Can they, given how much different the game probably is? Either way it'll be weird playing as him across games.

And I really hope they get Crash and Spyro. Sadly, those are probably the most iconic Playstation characters to me, but there's a good chance they just won't show.

Super Smash Brothers is such a weird name, yet it works. For some reason, whenever another company tries to make a game like this, all they do is throw in "All-stars" "Super-Star" and stuff like that.

At least this one isn't as bad as "Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing with Banjo and Kazooie!"

Loudninja

If you're a fan, you know them. If you're not that sony intelligent, then you won't know them.

This is the same thing for smash bros. No one knows who the hell most of the people are in that game, unless you are a fan of nintendo.
Yes exactly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

This was Pitt/Kid Icarus case in SSB(even yatzee said it).

Crossover games are good to let people know the unknown and older characters, and I hope Sony bring back many of their older characters.

Shiggy

Hilarious

Is it really? You want to say that Sony franchises are as popular and well-known as Super Mario? Right now, over here in Germany, the best known Sony franchises/characters still are Nathan Drake/Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Still, compared to Super Mario, those two are known by much less people I'd say.
It may depend on your country though, perhaps you live in a country where these franchises sell on par and are known just as much.

Super Smash Brothers is such a weird name, yet it works. For some reason, whenever another company tries to make a game like this, all they do is throw in "All-stars" "Super-Star" and stuff like that.

At least this one isn't as bad as "Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing with Banjo and Kazooie!"

You've got a point. "Playstation Battle Royale" sounds a lot better in my opinion.

Salsa

this looks like a super terrible version of LITERALLY super smash bros, my god. It's seriously shameful, would be embarrased to be involved in it.

Kyon

Banned
Is it really? You want to say that Sony franchises are as popular and well-known as Super Mario? Right now, over here in Germany, the best known Sony franchises/characters still are Nathan Drake/Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Still, compared to Super Mario, those two are known by much less people I'd say.
It may depend on your country though, perhaps you live in a country where these franchises sell on par and are known just as much.

Its hilarious because you mention only mario who is of course a gaming icon but you forget the part where a good chunk of Smash Bros games' rosters are filled with non iconic, not well-known,B-Tier characters.

Kratos fighting Cole McGrath of course doesn't have the same charme as Link beating up Zelda or Princess Peach kicking cute little Yoshi in the face.
I think it does, if not even more, as Infamous 1 is my favorite game this generation, and the God of War series is iconic in my mind.

Not only that, but it's far more interesting of a fight. Both Kratos and Cole have far more interesting and varied powers and moves than just using a sword like Link, and they don't have to make up moves for any of them like they do for Peach.

Leaderboards / stats could reveal some interesting data.

Sony'll certainly get an idea of how their brands stand against each other - assuming the gameplay is well balanced and there isn't one uber-exploitable character in the roster.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This should be an easy game to market, but Sony will find a way to make the game fail horribly.

No, it's like, what are the anchors to make this sell. Will it be good? I'm sure it is going to be a good game. Is Sony going to market it? I'm sure they will. The appeal of Smash Brothers is that you can fight Mario vs Link vs Samus vs insert Pokemon. My 5 year daughter and GF's three year old song knows who Mario is. I just see this having problems at retail outside of the initial purchases.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but the windmill area from Ico is a lock for this game, right? It makes almost too much sense.

This definitely isn't my type of game, but I'm interested in seeing what comes of it. The revels for the third party characters are going to be fun. I'm hopeful after the obvious MGS and Assassin's Creed revels, characters like Faith from Mirrors Edge or Portal's Chell are included

Shiggy

Its hilarious because you mention only mario who is of course a gaming icon but you forget the part where a good chunk of Smash Bros games' rosters are filled with non iconic, not well-known,B-Tier characters.

I think the main appeal of Smash Bros were Nintendo's top tier franchises, i.e. Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario. I doubt it would've been any popular if it had featured only the Ice Climbers or so. Who would've bought it apart from those "in the know"? It might still have been a nice game, but I have huge doubts that it would've been much of a commercial success.

VanWinkle

No, it's like, what are the anchors to make this sell. Will it be good? I'm sure it is going to be a good game. Is Sony going to market it? I'm sure they will. The appeal of Smash Brothers is that you can fight Mario vs Link vs Samus vs insert Pokemon. My 5 year daughter and GF's three year old song knows who Mario is. I just see this having problems at retail outside of the initial purchases.

I've never heard a kid talk about Super Smash Bros. It doesn't seem like its even marketed to kids. People who are older know a lot of Playstation characters, just like with Nintendo characters.

in what sense? maybe im phrasing it wrong, that sentence would make sense in spanish. What i want to say is that it looks exactly like super smash bros and really uninspired, while i expected something at least a tiny bit different.

You could always...ya know...read/watch the previews in the OP. Most of them discuss the differences between this game and SSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom