• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroshiki

You guys gotta be kidding me.

Not a single soul is mentioning these games?

6916495290_6c29ac86d0_n.jpg

Fighting_for_Filgaia.jpg

1-ps2_wildarms_altercodef.jpg

278358.jpg

xptoxyz

Yeah, they're probably gonna milk the fuck out of DLC for this game :(

I don't mind costumes and shit that I don't really care all that much about (although all of that stuff should be unlockable in the game in the first place), but if they start doing entirely new characters and stages as DLC I'll be a little upset.

Charging us for shit that used to be unlockables in games is the worst trend this gen. It makes me sick.

What about when DLC is actively finished, after being pre-planned, or developed entirely after the game, making it essentially and expansion that was no previously before without a new sequel release?

Not to derail from the thread subject, but in cases like that they certainly wouldn't be "unlockables"

KingK

While it seems the general census is that the super meter, KO only via super moves or certain environmental factors system is good, I also worry still.

To me it seems/feels like they just removed health so you're focusing purely on damage and a big finisher but in doing so that removes that layer of danger. Why can't they just have the super meter+AP bubbles and a health bar as well? If they did that, I'd be all for that. In doing that, you could also (assuming) turn off the super meter if you wanted to do so.

Yeah, I'm still kinda hoping they implement an HP mode where you have the ability to turn off Supers, but I'm not very confident that it will happen. Supers seem to be the core aspect of their entire gameplay system.

What about when DLC is actively finished, after being pre-planned, or developed entirely after the game, making it essentially and expansion that was no previously before without a new sequel release?

Not to derail from the thread subject, but in cases like that they certainly wouldn't be "unlockables"
I mean, yeah, I'm ok with DLC in concept, it's just that in execution it usually doesn't work out well like that. An example of good DLC that I actually enjoyed and thought was worth the money is the InFamous Festival of Blood, although I guess that was kinda like an entirely new game.

However, even some good intentioned and reasonably priced DLC like map packs and stuff I'm generally not a fan of because it just segments the community and makes me feel like I have to pay extra to keep enjoying the full experience.

And in regards to this game specifically, adding characters and stages as DLC seems like it would be a really short-sighted and stupid move because it would really limit their ability to add a bunch of new stuff to the sequel that would make it feel worth getting.

Drencrom

While it seems the general census is that the super meter, KO only via super moves or certain environmental factors system is good, I also worry still.

To me it seems/feels like they just removed health so you're focusing purely on damage and a big finisher but in doing so that removes that layer of danger. Why can't they just have the super meter+AP bubbles and a health bar as well? If they did that, I'd be all for that. In doing that, you could also (assuming) turn off the super meter if you wanted to do so.

Yes, a health bar would be a great addition to the existing super only setting they have. The game will be more focused on actually beating each other and people won't have to use supers all the time which will make them more rewarding to use and people will be more inclined to save them.

KingK

Seeing all those Sony published RPGs just makes me want to yell at Sony until they get SCEJ's shit in order and have them start making games again.

Do you guys think they could incorporate the siren series somehow?

Siren + Resident Evil mashup stage lol.

Seeing all those Sony published RPGs just makes me want to yell at Sony until they get SCEJ's shit in order and have them start making games again.

To be honest, my feeling is that the lack of JRPG's has a lot more to do with Sony management as a whole instead of just being a SCEJ problem. It seems like Sony in general has made a big push for Western game titles while leaving Japanese games behind. Hell, you could even use this title as an example of that. Why not have a company with a solid fighting games history like Eighting develop it? Instead they started a Western studio to do it.

Yeah, I'm still kinda hoping they implement an HP mode where you have the ability to turn off Supers, but I'm not very confident that it will happen. Supers seem to be the core aspect of their entire gameplay system.

I just hope they reconsider the super meter and implement an alternate mode with hit points. It sounds like it's pretty solid in terms of the engine and stuff they just need to add content.. I just really, really hope they reconsider because I personally think the current system will prevent it from gaining mainstream appeal outside the Sony faithful. I'll get it either way I think, I just wish there was a health bar or something similar to help balance things out more.

I don't see how a health bar adds anything to the game.

It doesn't change anything. The winner of the round has the most hits and most effective use of supers. Essentially, the person that does the most damage.

Also, like mentioned by others, it takes away from environmental damage. Oh no, Hades hit me. No big deal. It kinda takes away the notion of having to dodge that stuff.

For what I saw on the videos, the rain of golf balls from the Hot Shot level or failing an answer on Buzz level take out some gauge bar to the player. Not too much, but i suppose that bigger enviromental damage, like being eaten by the hydra or falling in the acid pool of LBP level will take you much more gauge, or even be counted as a KO.

It doesn't change anything. The winner of the round has the most hits and most effective use of supers. Essentially, the person that does the most damage.

I think that the biggest concern is that the supers are too powerful and too easy to really take advantage of. People in GT impressions were saying that if managed to get a Level 2 off then you were almost guaranteed multiple kills. So it's going to depend onf the amount of tools that they give the player in order to avoid such attacks. Parappa, Radec and Sweet Tooth all seem to have especially strong Supers (especially Level 3's).

Loudninja

Yep I agree.

Not sure why people wants them to make a change like that so deep in development.

I think that the biggest concern is that the supers are too powerful and too easy to really take advantage of. People in GT impressions were saying that if managed to get a Level 2 off then you were almost guaranteed multiple kills. So it's going to depend onf the amount of tools that they give the player in order to avoid such attacks. Parappa, Radec and Sweet Tooth all seem to have especially strong Supers (especially Level 3's).

Everyone has the opportunity to get to a level 2 and as a result, multiple kills.

I don't see how this can be abused when everyone has the same opportunity.

Those that do the most damage, are able to utilize tools to get the most kills.

KingK

I'm actually pretty hyped to see how Jak and Ratchet play. My 12 year old self used to dream of the day Jak, Ratchet, and Sly could battle in a Smash Bros. game. I remember even coming up with Smash Bros. move sets for all of them lol.

To be honest, my feeling is that the lack of JRPG's has a lot more to do with Sony management as a whole instead of just being a SCEJ problem. It seems like Sony in general has made a big push for Western game titles while leaving Japanese games behind. Hell, you could even use this title as an example of that. Why not have a company with a solid fighting games history like Eighting develop it? Instead they started a Western studio to do it.

I think it's kinda like a chicken and egg situation at this point. You're right that they're emphasizing Western games more now, but did the fact that they started doing so result in a loss of productivity and output by Japan, or were the Western studios just displaying more productivity and quality output, causing Sony to reassign focus towards the more efficient Western devs and cause even less Japanese output? You also have the problem of Japanese devs in general handling the transition to HD absolutely terribly.

Good news is that some higher up from Santa Monica recently went to SCEJ to restructure things there and light a fire under Ueda's ass, I believe. So hopefully we'll start to see a bit more output from Japan.

But if you miss a super then all of your hits up to that point are meaningless.

It's a risk/reward scenario.

If you only have a level 1 super, it's easier to miss.

By level 3, your super is guaranteed of getting a few kills.

Missing a level 1 is not something that isn't recoverable from because you regain that bar rather quickly.

Drencrom

No, it does infact change things. Ofc the winner is always the person that deal most damage but people can actually get kills and damage without resorting to supers exclusively when there is a health bar. This doesn't have to be the main setting so why not?

With a health bar people won't need a full AP bar to kill someone and supers won't become as repetitive. What's the downside?

guek

Banned

Missing a level 1 is not something that isn't recoverable from because you regain that bar rather quickly.

Are all supers instant kills if they hit or just levels 2-3?

They are still making and publishing game lots of them, it just mostly on portable :phttp://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/psp/index.html you'll find lots of unknown japan only title in that list. they are also recently announced a rpg Soul Sacrifice (once again for portabele/vita)

unlike their western counterpart I suspect they just didn't have luxury making/funding big budget game let a lone a big JRPG (their Published PS3 RPG ( Demon Soul, WKC,Folklore) are certainly looks like it only have B or maybe C tierbudget).

No, you could do 5 times more damage and the sickest combos but if you miss that super you lose.
And a health bar or something would add to the game, the ability to kill with more than 3 moves

Hieberrr

I hate the super-only-kill, it takes away from the whole game. Maybe it's a little unfair to compare it to SSB, but SSB keeps you on your toes at all times. You have to keep yourself from falling off the stage, from getting hit by stage-specific things that can kill you, etc...

I'm also not a fan of having to hit your opponent and then collect orbs... c'mon, man... :S

KingK

I hate the super-only-kill, it takes away from the whole game. Maybe it's a little unfair to compare it to SSB, but SSB keeps you on your toes at all times. You have to keep yourself from falling off the stage, from getting hit by stage-specific things that can kill you, etc...

I'm also not a fan of having to hit your opponent and then collect orbs... c'mon, man... :S

You don't normally have to collect the orbs. That's only for items and special moves that remove the AP from other characters. Normal attacks just automatically increase your meter.

Why are we still talking about super-only kills? We already know that the developers said they turned off regular ways of making kills for the demo - which means Supers won't be the only way of making kills

I'd imagine some of the environmental hazards will be ways to die

prwxv3

Why are we still talking about super-only kills? We already know that the developers said they turned off regular ways of making kills for the demo - which means Supers won't be the only way of making kills

what really? Where did they say this.

Loudninja

I adopt a coward's strategy of short, sharp, cheap attacks and swift retreats, concentrating on building my Super meter to its limit. In a finely balanced match, unleashing a Level 3 with 20 seconds to spare works wonders for your kill stats. But you run the risk of wipeout by a wily enemy.

After a little more game time I begin to work-in some satisfying combos and start to develop a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. How much tactical depth is in there remains to be seen, but there is, for example, a knack to using Supers beyond my preferred tactic of desperate last minute spamming.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rs-battle-royale-preview-super-smashing-great

Hazards can kill you we know that.

Like the fish can eat you.

I see what you mean and I want to stop worrying but I can't help but feel like it's just weird to me. I guess I'm too used to health bars and KO'ing people from normal attacks. The main thing I don't like is being able to KO only through supers.

That bothers me because to me that means everyone is going to be focusing on strategies surrounding those supers and everything else will be neglected. Only things that further enhance that super for that character will be used, much like DOTA... god I hate DOTA and all the DOTA clones.

I'm one of those annoying guys in SSB who loves having items on, even on low, to help add some spice into the mix. We would turn off the annoying/broken items (including the smash ball) and it gave you tons of options on how to take down your opponent. Now you only have ONE option - a super move. I think to remove any other option of KO'ing an opponent is just... unnecessary.

I think it's kinda like a chicken and egg situation at this point. You're right that they're emphasizing Western games more now, but did the fact that they started doing so result in a loss of productivity and output by Japan, or were the Western studios just displaying more productivity and quality output, causing Sony to reassign focus towards the more efficient Western devs and cause even less Japanese output? You also have the problem of Japanese devs in general handling the transition to HD absolutely terribly.

Good news is that some higher up from Santa Monica recently went to SCEJ to restructure things there and light a fire under Ueda's ass, I believe. So hopefully we'll start to see a bit more output from Japan.

Most of the JRPG's mentioned in this thread were outsourced developments. SCEJ has never been big on actually developing titles, even going back to the PSone days. Games like Beyond the Beyond, Alundra, Legend of Legaia and Wild ARMS were all outsourced. Lots of JRPG studios have been able to release games at a smooth rate this generation. Sony has dipped in a bit with White Knight and Demon's Souls. But they really haven't done as much with Japanese devs this gen as they have in previous generations.

Drencrom

I would like some source to this. Because if this is true then there is nothing for me to worry about and I'll stop beating this dead horse of a subject.

Not sure what to say about Ape Escape. A few years back they'd be a definite, but after a long string of mediocre games and just better stuff out there I'm not so sure. Maybe as a small reference somewhere. That said, Spike and his gadgets would be a great fighter and I'd love the nostalgia.

I don't think that's a prerequisite, if bad games or lack of recent entries was a problem you'd have to take out half the Smash Bros. roster. Star Fox definitely comes to mind. Metroid and Zelda are hardly at the top of their game lately either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom