• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

I keep hearing about how in the beta, it is hard to distinguish between characters and backgrounds, could someone elaborate?

Most recent game I can think of where I had a similar problem was with Sonic Generations. I only really had this problem once with the game (very beginning of Green Hill Zone with Classic Sonic) but that time when I couldn't figure out where Sonic was on the screen really pulled me out of the experience and annoyed me as I tried to keep my eyes on him. (thankfully that was only a few short seconds in the first level in the game)
Hmm no problem like that for me.

You do sometimes get lost in the insane amount of chaos,but you get use to it.

Hopefully they make it easier to keep track of your player.

Boss Man

I keep hearing about how in the beta, it is hard to distinguish between characters and backgrounds, could someone elaborate?

Most recent game I can think of where I had a similar problem was with Sonic Generations. I only really had this problem once with the game (very beginning of Green Hill Zone with Classic Sonic) but that time when I couldn't figure out where Sonic was on the screen really pulled me out of the experience and annoyed me as I tried to keep my eyes on him. (thankfully that was only a few short seconds in the first level in the game)
I don't think there's any problem distinguishing characters from the background, but it can be difficult for a newer player to keep track of their character because the game is rather fast paced and the camera can zoom out quite a bit.

Even once you've had some experience with the game, you can still lose track for a split second. It's been my main gripe with the beta.

I'm not sure how much the background affects this, but I found it a bit difficult to keep tabs on all of the fighters. I feel like I constantly have to look away from the action in order to take a glimpse at everyone's meters, and I frequently lose sight of my character in the process.

Mr. Fix

The only case I noticed this was watching Drake in the Hades stage. But I won't really know unless I have the full game. Watching at 720p on the computer still doesn't do it justice I don't think.

Gartooth

OK gotcha, I thought it was that the characters blended into the background too much, but I guess it is more of a problem with finding where your character is on the screen at the moment.

I'd say to wait for the Beta to be released to the public. Glitches I wouldn't worry too much about, since most people seem to have found them. What it is is just to test the online servers anyway. As far as balance goes, I do see a lot of complaints about Sly's supers (specifically that level 2).

I'm waiting for the Beta to properly judge how the game is myself. But I'm a smash player, so it's something that I'm optimistic about.

Calm down. The community here is already mildly immature enough to begin with, you're not helping the cause.

There seems to be a lot of complaints for most of the character's level 2's. Being overpowered or under powered. ex. Fat Princess being to strong, Parappas not lasting long enough, Sweet Tooths being useless(this is the biggest one imo), and Slys. Some complain about Kratos's but I think its good.

It depends. I mean sometimes I can get confused witch of the 3 Sweet Tooths you are after some mega explosion throws everyone flying but you get used to it. When I started the beta my instinct was to look where (insert character here) landed but as you play more you start to learn to look your player colour indicator or whatever you call it. Some alt colours are more different than others so that plays a part too. I have no doubt it will be even easier once we get more than 6 characters and real alt costumes on our hands.

So you can be a little lost when you start playing but you learn to keep an eye on your character when theres chaos. Only thing that really puts me off anymore is if theres some online problem and character teleports without reason but that is pretty rare for me.

Edit: and yeah backround hasn't been a problem for me in the beta.

SmithnCo

The only character hard to distinguish is
invisiSly

I think the problem lies more is distinguishing your character from others. This could be easily fixed if they have an option to highlight your character on your screen, or they give the super glow different colors for each player. Some of the color variations just aren't enough for me to tell them apart at a second's notice.

BHK3

Banned
So a friend of mine that goes on his ps3 maybe once a month got a invite to the beta.

Why do you do things like this sony...how much more must I sacrifice for you.

So a friend of mine that goes on his ps3 maybe once a month got a invite to the beta.

Why do you do things like this sony...how much more must I sacrifice for you.

Yeah I've seen stuff like this happen all the time. I tout Sony games and stuff all the time, I pretty much only play on my Vita, PS3 or PC (mostly the first two) and I rarely get beta keys, if that. Sometimes I'll get one REALLY late into the beta.

TheMink

Ok so i would say my only beef with the current build of the game is how loooooong it takes to build super above lvl1.
Ive found that after you hit the lvl 1 mark, the super bar starts to build considerably slower, then even slower once you hit the lvl 2 mark.

I decided i was going to go for a lvl 3 with Kratos and it took all game to get it with 10 seconds left when i used it. I was comboing, i was beat boppin' and scattin' all over the place and it still took me that long.
To be fair i did end up getting four kills with it, but that was my total kill count.

Conversely i may get as many as 5 lvl ones in a single game if im just as efficient because the first bar builds so much faster than the next two, with potential for 1-3 kills per.
So assuming i get a least an average of 1 kill per super (and that could be two with 0 kills and two 2 kills and one with 1 kill, or however you want to divide it)
thats 5 kills, thats 9 points assuming i die at least once, which is one more than my lvl 3 was able to pull out.

And its not uncommon for me (or anybody really) to get upwards of 21 points in a game (with one death thrown in for maths sake) using the lvl 1 super only tactic.
So thats eleven kills. Assuming i pulled off 5 lvl 1's in that match thats 2.2 kills per super.

So in order for a lvl3 to be economic in the timed matches we are playing, it would have to get me twice as many kills as it does.

But quite frankly the way it is fine for Kratos, Sly, and maybe even FP.

But for Parappa, Radec, and Sweet Tooth, lvl 1s are NOT what they are looking for.

So my solution is this:

First off, make gauge building faster in general, its more fun if your able to pull more stuff off,
and that would start pushing the highest amount of points from the low 20's to the mid 30's!!

But more importantly make gauge building character specific.
Its no secret that Sweet Tooth's lvl3 is worse than Kratos lvl3. And yet it takes just as much time to get there for both characters.
For example what if Sweet Tooth was able to get his lvl3 maybe even twice as fast as Kratos. Then all the sudden Sweet Tooth becomes a hell of a lot more of a contender.
It doesnt matter that his lvl3 is worse because he'll be able to get it so much more often.

Same thing goes for lvl 2's, if Parappa and Radec and maybe FP were able to get their lvl2's faster, then bam skate boards and laser beams and chickens be all over the place.

Obviously there is a lot of balancing that would have to go into it.

Like how fast is too fast, who needs it faster more than others etc.

And stock play would work differently, but even then i think the same principals apply.
But when the name of the game is "get as many kills as fast as possible" there needs to be some speed changes.

And maybe something like this has already been implemented in the full product, and we all know that the beta is an early build for sure.

If so i suppose the one thing that i would want for sure is faster over all gauge building.
Two lvl 3's in one match shouldn't be completely impossible. :p

Thus completes my essay :3

I'm starting to like Parappa the most :D
Taking out the Radec trash:
2012-08-08_01-08-13_910.jpg

All of Kratos' colors here! Fun match

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I've never had a problem distinguishing my character from the backgrounds.

The only thing was, during the beginning, when I first started playing the game, I'd lose track of my character. Now, though, after spending over a week and a half with it, I don't have that problem.

I don't think it will be a real problem after spending time with the game for most people.

It can get confusing when there is the same character as you in a match, but you also get used to that too.

libregkd

Wow, pretty much no effort or real differentiation in the fourth one, haha

loving the 2nd and 3rd ones though
Eh its good enough I guess. He's brighter and is loin cloth thing and armor are all silver/grey instead of the normal bronze-ish and red.

I'm hoping/expecting they will be more different in the final game.
But now that I'm used to playing this game, I actually never lose track of my guy. Which is surprising haha

Mr. Fix

There should be multiple costumes with each costume having multiple colors.

Paul recently said that it wasn't their intention to add colors to the costumes until recently. There's still about a month before the game goes gold, so I'd expect it in. I'm loving the colors they have so far, specifically Kratos' black and red one, and all of Sly's.

I wonder what absolutely ridiculous statements ign will make tomorrow. Should be fun.

Ugh I'm dreading it. Expecting them to make mountains out of molehills and complain about things that will definitely be fixed. Or they will be smart and understanding, pointing out actual flaws....don't let me down IGN

I haven't been keeping up with the beta situation for this game. Is there any way for me to get a code now, or do I have to wait for the public beta? Also, when does the public beta start?

You should show some love to Superbot, their fb page is giving out beta codes.

If you're just about winning, and the player who you feel is close behind you on the scoreboard has a guaranteed kills Level 3 (Parappa for instance,) can you keep them in a state that prevents them from getting a window to use their super while the clock winds down?

KalBalboa

Banned
Well, that's unfortunate. It was originally private, but I set it to public 15 minutes ago. Anyone know if there's typically a delay when switching privacy settings?

Hmm. I've done a lot of YouTube uploading in my day and never had the Privacy/Public function take more than a few seconds to kick in- I imagined it was instant. Maybe it's worth reuploading?

KalBalboa

Banned
The Kratos OP stuff is hilarious.
This is less impressions and more "The Greg show: look at me and what I like"
There are some new videos and stuff that isn't too bad

Yeah, I kind of like the rubric they used with the impressions. Next week can't come soon enough, though- I need me some new character and stage footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom