• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation are chasing Xbox, when they should be chasing Nintendo.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Not much reasoning - I have yet to meet anyone outside Gaf that actually thinks VR is the shit. It's a fun gimmick and that's about it. In my opinion, of course. Yours may vary.

Everyone I know who tried it, from Resident Evil 7 to Astrobot, Half life Alyx, says it’s incredible.

People who haven’t usually say it’s a gimmick yeah.

TBiddy

Depends. Are you talking about people who actually tried VR, or are you talking about people who think they don't want it?

Both. As I said, most people consider it a fun gimmick, and that's about it. Something that belongs in amusement parks ("Walk the plank", driving cars and stuff like that). It's fun, but not really something they wish to install and use in their living room.

ACESHIGH

Banned
To me this reads as fans worried that some people will also be able to play a handful of games on other devices. All this threads about market trends, worries about profitability, units sold and the like actually have that ulterior motive. They don't want Sony to chase that direction because they would have less ammo for their console wars. The company will do just fine or even better than before.

Sony and MS core customers are the ones that play the most generic multiplatform games ever such as FIFA, Call of Duty, Madden, Fortnite and NBA2K on a cheap and easy to use box. Those games also bring in subscription revenue as they are MP oriented. Those folks won't build a gaming PC all of a sudden because a handful of single player games are now playable on it.

And Nintendo... they cling to that strategy because that's all they have. With shit tier, hardware, pricing and online there's only so much you can do. Hence they cater to that very specific niche, releasing new iterations on those 6 or 7 IPs over and over and over for the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Rob_27

Does it really matter?
Who cares if ports from PS or Xbox go to PC. It allows others to play the game when they might not have been able to previously.

I couldn't care less. People get to emotional about a specific brand. Are you on their board? If not I wouldn't worry about anything. Enjoy the games on the system you bought.

It's almost as if people are committed or owe something to a company. That's when you know your in trouble.

Guilty_AI

Both. As I said, most people consider it a fun gimmick, and that's about it. Something that belongs in amusement parks ("Walk the plank", driving cars and stuff like that). It's fun, but not really something they wish to install and use in their living room.
This amusement park gimmick seems to have a pretty high growth rate in popularity in recent years

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY doesn't go about generations like that, I don't see them chasing anyone. PSVR was a welcome, AAA games are at the forefront, and they're putting the PS5 in a perfect situation.

Bah I'll never understand why anyone would limit themselves by being loyal to a brand, it's like someone being loyal to coke products but never tasted mtn dew before, just to realize they've been missing out.

Let me tell you a story about myself, I was a Nintendo fan first, then became a PlayStation fan second, while being a Sega fan somewhere in between, the end. /end story.

What does that tell you? Well it made me realize being brand loyal is dumb and I'm a gamer first and foremost, and I go wherever I can get the best games. Back in '95 my dad got a PC, it never appeal with me yet, but I learned about its unlimited potential, it was just in its premature state, so I went back to console gaming.

Fast-forward 20 years and PC gaming finally reached its mature state, and it still has potential to grow even further. Everyone realizes this, Bandai Namco realized, Square Enix realized, Sony realized, heck even Nintendo realizes their exclusives are not enough to make most people switch over, most people want the best of all worlds and PC offers just that. While Sony fanboys are drooling over PS5 ssd, I'm just waiting to see how PC will evolve to counter it.

You have to come to terms with reality eventually, I figured it out since the Wii, ever since digital gaming became a thing, not only did pc get it right, they mastered this whole digital thing in spades. Not only can I play games from 30 years ago through patches and emulation, I can relax and sleep soundly knowing I can play the same games I purchased once 50 years from now because there will always be a community that will keep these games alive. Can you say the same about your brand loyalty?

Last edited:
Top Bottom