• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss says investing in new IPs is "very risky", Sony thinks very deeply and carefully when balancing its portfolio

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Great, now I have to play Gravity Rush 2 again because you reminded me it exists.

Come onnnnnn PS5 patch. I'm clearly dreaming expecting that though, I'm in a daze 😬
You dont have play Gravity rush 2?????

One of the best games of the era and dont even play it????

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don’t like his perspective. Like what did you expect? If you want to make money from a product you have to invest in that product, in this case, make games. He is talking like you only spend those money and not take them back from sales. Wtf is wrong with this guy?
"Lower your expectations"
- Jim Ryan

MHubert

The OP title is misleading. He says that a box office release costs at least 100m$, and every new AAA IP needs a box office budget to succeed. Jim is just stating the obvious. Like he does most of the time. But everyone tells me he is a shithead, so this is probably the end of Playstation.

'But why can't Sony just make AA titles?' - yea, why not. Please make smaller games, Sony.

Hugare

He is right, but every new ip that Sony launched during the PS4was a success

Days Gone and Horizon (Ghost too, right) sold +10M each. Like, goddamn.

You see TakeTwo worried about Rockstar's development costs?

Keep pumping quality games and we will keep on buying them

YukiOnna

Why doe it have to be AAA games? One of favourite games mostly were AA games and in fact my current GOTG is 13 Sentinels, very experimental AA game.

Another one is Demons Souls back in 2009, it was also niche AA games when it first came out.

I don't care if everyone disagrees with me, but high budget AAA games will hold gaming back.

Agreed. Especially since the term "AAA" isn't a sure fire stamp of quality. That's not why the games are good, a more moderate budget IP can be just as good if not better as proven a bunch of times this generation.

SkylineRKR

He is right, but every new ip that Sony launched during the PS4was a success

Days Gone and Horizon (Ghost too, right) sold +10M each. Like, goddamn.

You see TakeTwo worried about Rockstar's development costs?

Keep pumping quality games and we will keep on buying them

Didn't know DG sold so well. I skipped it but I am impressed by the game on the PS5.

Sony is going to go downhill fast with this jackass at the helm
Ryan has been with SIEE since 1994, with several senior roles over the course of his twenty-three years with the company. Ryan was named the president of SIEE in 2011, and the head of global sales and marketing at SIE in April 2016.
Ryan built a reputation after leading the the PlayStation brand to dominance in Europe .

The only jackass here is you with that shit tier comment. Think next time before speaking. He may say some questionable things but he knows exactly what the fuck he is doing.

FALCON_KICK

Nothing suprising about it since the PS3 generation signaled the slow death of AA games being developed by 1st party studios and big 3rd party studios.

GrayFoxPL

And people still won't buy them. Gamers didn't deserve Gravity Rush or The Last Guardian, since very few bought them.

0gyJLiY.gif

John Day

Ya’ll bitching about this, but business-wise it’s true. Someone mentioned “AA exist too” but...that’s not how it works, sadly. The public shouts “we want new experiences!”, well mate, new “experiences” cost a shit ton today, cause we all expect it.

“Indie games do it”, Well mate, if big companies came up with some of the indie big sellers, I bet we all would have bitched, or wouldn’t even bought. Let’s be real. Indies take chances that big publishers won’t, because they can’t. Think on it.

More people need to actually read articles in full before commenting on them/sharing them.
This isn't just specifically about this thread, or GAF in general, but the entire internet lmao.

llien

Which 4 new IPs from PS4 era they mean?

1) Horizon
2)
3)
4) ?

Don't tell me Knack costs 100 million to make.

Keihart

The article in the OP it's just a refried GQ interview, which itslef reads very out of context, here is the two full quotes cited in the OP and the source.

About the "box office" quote, the complete quote is:
In a lot of ways Sony’s strategy for the PlayStation 5 feels like a bit of a redo of the PlayStation 4 era: there are going to be lots of great exclusive games, you've got a very capable console and you're going to charge players full whack for those games. Is that a fair assessment?

That’s certainly the strategy with which we launch when it comes to the games that we make ourselves from Worldwide Studios. I humbly submit that we've never been in better shape than we are now. The studios over the course of the PS4 generation have really come on. It's a real point of difference for us and we intend to continue to grow that capability.

We’ve invested a lot organically over the course of the PS4 generation, more than people realise. We've added Insomniac Games [Spider-Man Miles Morales’ developer] through acquisition. We're making great games now and we certainly plan to continue making great games.

The thing with those blockbuster games is that they need a box office release. They cost more than $100m dollars to make these days and in order to be able to do that and bring new IP to the market – which is a very risky thing and and we did four times in the PS4 generation – you've got to have a box office release.

The talk about new IP's it's really more about the type of games they greenlit, the real question is "One of the things I find really interesting about those big box office games is that a lot of them are crowd pleasers, such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man. But you've also got titles such as Death Stranding and The Last Of Us: Part 2 that are more challenging and meant to provoke different emotions. Is that strategy of divergent experiences going to continue with the PlayStation 5? "

Here the complete quote:
One of the things I find really interesting about those big box office games is that a lot of them are crowd pleasers, such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man. But you've also got titles such as Death Stranding and The Last Of Us: Part 2 that are more challenging and meant to provoke different emotions. Is that strategy of divergent experiences going to continue with the PlayStation 5?

Yeah. We have a management organisation that sits over the individual studios and one of the things that we look at a lot is the portfolio and we look at is the balance between new iterations of much-loved series such as God Of War or Uncharted and shaking things up with new IP such as Horizon Zero Dawn or Ghost Of Tsushima. We think about this very deeply and very carefully.

I'm up for shitting on Ryan anyday, but this clickbait articles that didn't even made the interview themselves and feel entitled to change the context at will really trigger me.

Also, fuck Jim.

Ryan has been with SIEE since 1994, with several senior roles over the course of his twenty-three years with the company. Ryan was named the president of SIEE in 2011, and the head of global sales and marketing at SIE in April 2016.
Ryan built a reputation after leading the the PlayStation brand to dominance in Europe .

The only jackass here is you with that shit tier comment. Think next time before speaking. He may say some questionable things but he knows exactly what the fuck he is doing.

No need to get your panties in a bunch just because I criticised someone in Sony. Go relief yourself

They do make non AAA games. A few examples from the last three years being:
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Astro's Playroom
Blood & Truth
Concrete Genie
Dreams(?)
Everybody's Golf
Gravity Rush 2
Knack 2
MediEvil Remake
Predator: Hunting Grounds
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

And there's some I left out.

Point taken! But i want interseting and good aa games that try something new, or is niche, everything other than everybodys golf, gravity rush and astrobot on that list is not worth playing, and i dont think they will make any of those for the ps5, its just blockbuster titles and fidelity for this gen i fear. I mean they are supposed to be a japanese company, why not pump out some aa games from jap studios, they probably wont sell well in todays market, but its always good to diversify your catalog of games

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Well, to be fair, Ryan doesn't do his reputation any favors with some really hardcore jackass comments. He's not exactly a charismatic public speaker and his personal opinions are, at times, pretty damn bad takes. Funnily, at times he feels like I'm listening to a Michael Pachter with less wit and charisma.

Other than that, he obviously knows how to do business, or he wouldn't have his job.

Last edited:
There is still plenty of old IPs that people would like to see new versions of.
How about SOCOM, Resistance, Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby amongst others.
Or if they did a remake of Killzone 2 and 3, it would sell gang busters.
Buy Bluepoint and make them your remake studio.
Then there is all the JRPGs in Sony's backlog, or even a PS version of Sunset Overdrive.

Well, to be fair, Ryan doesn't do his reputation any favors with some really hardcore jackass comments. He's not exactly a charismatic public speaker and his personal opinions are, at times, pretty damn bad takes. Funnily, at times he feels like I'm listening to a Michael Pachter with less wit and charisma.

Other than that, he obviously knows how to do business, or he wouldn't have his job.
Yes I agree. Sometimes he's all over the place with his comments but the guy undoubtedly knows what he is doing in his job or he wouldn't be there in the first place. Yet you have some on here talking shit that he's going to tank the PlayStation division when he's one of the reasons for turning Europe into Fortress PlayStation.

Give the man shit for his questionable comments but never question his ability to do the job.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Jim Ryan's a complete tool. See's no issues with $70 games yet doesn't want to invest in new IP. L-O-L.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yes I agree. Sometimes he's all over the place with his comments but the guy undoubtedly knows what he is doing in his job or he wouldn't be there in the first place. Yet you have some on here talking shit that he's going to tank the PlayStation division when he's one of the reasons for turning Europe into Fortress PlayStation.

Give the man shit for his questionable comments but never question his ability to do the job.

Oh, I'm sure he'll do great, even if I can't say I don't miss Andrew House.

JonkyDonk

This is just a statement of fact. It is a very expensive risk. That doesn't mean they don't do it. Sony regularly invests in new IP. Why are people shitting on him for this?
Because it's fashionable to paint Jim Ryan as some evil bastard who is ruining Playstation, even though all the evidence in the world points to Playstation being the strongest it's ever been.

JLB

Banned
Imagine only if Phil Spencer would have said this...
In any case, Jimbo is actually right about this. There's probably 10 thousand businesses where putting 100m is less risky and yet profitable than flipping a coin with an AAA game.
What I read from this is that Bluepoint will have a huge future in Sony Studios, whether they like the idea of remaking more games or not.

ivan.k

Jim Ryan is the worst PS boss in a long time. At first I thought Lawden will be shit, but he turns out to be good. Ryan is just unbearable

TexMex

Doesn't help when the first new IP you work on for the PS5 is that god awful looking Returnal.

While I agree I don't think it looks great, I've loved most everything Housemarque has done over the last generation so I'm still cautiously optimistic for it.

tillbot8

Banned
Jim Ryan is the worst PS boss in a long time. At first I thought Lawden will be shit, but he turns out to be good. Ryan is just unbearable
Based Andrew House! YOSP and Cerny always got the glory but watched a few interviews with Andrew he had PlayStation in his blood!

AmuroChan

Read the full article. He didn't say Sony will not invest in new IPs because they're too risky. He says later on in the article that they're very careful in making sure that the 1st party portfolio has a good balance of existing IPs and new IPs.

Top Bottom