• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss says investing in new IPs is "very risky", Sony thinks very deeply and carefully when balancing its portfolio

Inviusx

While you can't argue with his logic, you also can't ignore the fact that aside from God of War, all the big first party PS4 games are third person action/stealth games. That what 100 million dollars buys you.

Ixiah

Banned
By new "IP" he means cramming a Single player game full of Online Service Features so they can keep people
playing and spend more and more Money.
Meanwhile at Nintendo.....
Or hell, how much do Games like Hollow Knight cost ?
And i had more Fun with that Game than the last 3 Asscreed games combined.
You dont need AAA Open World Boredom where you repeat the same 6 actions over and over after unlocking them via a Tower.

AmuroChan

'But why can't Sony just make AA titles?' - yea, why not. Please make smaller games, Sony.

They do. They just don't market them for whatever reason. Concrete Genie, Medievil, Dreams, Blood & Truth, Tearaway Unfolded, Everybody's Golf, Gravity Rush 2, etc all came and went. I don't think I've seen one single ad for those games prior to their release.

VAVA Mk2

In other words...get ready for sequels or reboots. Santa Monica Studio is working on "Divine Non-Gender of War" right now written by Alanah Pearce.

Valentino

Ugh at you all saying you'd rather have PS2 graphics and more space for good gameplay and mechanics..........getttttt the fook outtta herrreeee :messenger_tears_of_joy:

All you guys do is bang on about fidelity and visuals and puddles. Insufferable in here you are :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kuranghi

You dont have play Gravity rush 2?????

One of the best games of the era and dont even play it????

I have played it through twice, no need to worry, I said "again" in my post. I loved the game.

Eaaaa-sy, Heimdall.

edit - Just to be clear, I was just trying to make a joke because you are a rabid Gravity Rush fan, I'm not saying you are a pillhead lol

Last edited:

Keihart

By new "IP" he means cramming a Single player game full of Online Service Features so they can keep people
Or hell, how much do Games like Hollow Knight cost ?
And i had more Fun with that Game than the last 3 Asscreed games combined.
You dont need AAA Open World Boredom where you repeat the same 6 actions over and over after unlocking them via a Tower.
iu

What the fuck are you smoking to call out the strawman that World Wide Studios somehow it's full of microtransactions?
Maybe you just don't know, but if you don't why talk about it? WWS games have really few microtransactions and most post launch content it's either free or part of a "big" DLC.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
With each new interview, it gets harder and harder to fight the feeling that Jim Ryan is the new Don Mattrick... He's the CEO of THE company that is (used to be?) synonymous with new IPs... But if you think about it, all the games announced for PS5 so far are nothing but already known titles - DS, MM, R&C, GT7, GoW2, HFW, there's nothing "new new" in the upcoming lineup, but let's eait and see what they'll come up with after 2022 once this gen serioisly takes off.

AmuroChan

While you can't argue with his logic, you also can't ignore the fact that aside from God of War, all the big first party PS4 games are third person action/stealth games. That what 100 million dollars buys you.

They also have done a terrible job managing their IPs that are not in that genre. Games like FIFA, Madden, and Forza are universally accepted as AAA-tier franchises, but somehow MLB and Gran Turismo have seemingly been relegated to 2nd tier in Sony's own internal hierarchy. GT used to be Sony's crown jewel franchise. It's so sad to see how far GT's brand power and reputation have fallen over the last couple generations.

And Sony keeps taking the risk, and it keeps paying off.

He's not saying they aren't willing to keep doing that here, he's just commenting on the reality of it. (and trying to excuse the price hike of course, but what he is saying isn't untrue about new IP for a blockbuster being a risk)
Qft! Every single blockbuster AAA game they release sells by the boatload. They’ve perfected a strategy of giving their studios free reign and it really pays off. It helps with having some of the best developers in the world under your belt.

Fbh

He isn't wrong. Sadly, people usually go for sequels and franchises they know rather than giving something new a chance. Look at, like, JRPG's and how some legit great games have this big celebration when they sell like 2 or 3 million units after a couple of years. Meanwhile you put the Final Fantasy name on a turd like XV and it's like 5 million in a month.

A good sequel in a popular IP will probably always sell more than a new IP. And a bad sequel in a popular IP will probably sell A LOT more than a bad new IP.

Still, I think Sony did a good job this gen striking a balance between new IP's and sequels. As long as they keep that balance this gen I'm fine with it.
I also wouldn't mind seeing them invest in cheaper/lower scale games.

?
What big new Sony IP this gen did that?
The Order 1886? Shitty as it was, it was still 100% single player
Bloodborne? Similar online features to the other souls games, if anything it scaled back the online features compared to other FROM games (No covenants and such)
Spider Man? No Online features
Gravity Rush? No online features in 1, some indirect online stuff in 2 which was completely optional
Horizon? No online features
Days Gone? No online features
Until Dawn? The only online features it has is tracking your choices and telling you how they compare to those of other people
Ghost of Tsushima? Launched as a big fully single player open world game and then added a completely separate online mode months later for free.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

They have a pretty good operation at Sony when it comes to funding, producing, and marketing these big games and it's working out very well for them

Always going to be a serious risk though, just the nature of modern big budget projects these days

mcjmetroid

Well as long as nothing changes. Sony are by far the best at creating new IPS than the other 2.

Microsoft was just a poor showing all round last gen.

And Nintendo output is as good as ever (When they try) but I'm getting tired of their lack of new IPs pretty much for 3 consoles straight now.

AmuroChan

And Nintendo output is as good as ever (When they try) but I'm getting tired of their lack of new IPs pretty much for 3 consoles straight now.

The problem for Nintendo is that there's almost no motivation on their part to take risks with any regularity on new IPs when they have Mario, Zelda, Smash, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, etc. Games in those franchises are guaranteed to sell a shit ton of copies no matter what. So why deviate from that winning formula? Once in a while they'll create a Splatoon, but for the most part they can just continuously milk the golden goose franchises that they have.

I think they need to risk it and go all in on a in-house FPS and WRPG so that Microsoft doesn't end up taking a much larger chunk of those gamers. WRPG gamers are seeing the potential for the Xbox Series X to be their console of choice.

Blond

Banned
Read the full article. He didn't say Sony will not invest in new IPs because they're too risky. He says later on in the article that they're very careful in making sure that the 1st party portfolio has a good balance of existing IPs and new IPs.

wtf are you doing adding context?? You know we focus on the clickbait here

Ten_Fold

Why not make AA games? You guys could’ve pushed gravity rush more. You guys could bring back legend of Dragoon, which wouldn’t need a 100m budget. Seems Sony only wants to do big games.

HarryKS

Why not make AA games? You guys could’ve pushed gravity rush more. You guys could bring back legend of Dragoon, which wouldn’t need a 100m budget. Seems Sony only wants to do big games.

Because Legend of Dragoon was not particularly good maybe. People didn't care much for it back then, they still don't. Maybe a couple of dozen do.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They also have done a terrible job managing their IPs that are not in that genre. Games like FIFA, Madden, and Forza are universally accepted as AAA-tier franchises, but somehow MLB and Gran Turismo have seemingly been relegated to 2nd tier in Sony's own internal hierarchy. GT used to be Sony's crown jewel franchise. It's so sad to see how far GT's brand power and reputation have fallen over the last couple generations.

Blame Kaz for that. GT7 better be great or maybe Kaz needs to retire.

longdi

Banned
I hadn't play any sony new ip.

But from reviews and youtubers, does anyone else find the likes of Gow, hzd, got, sm, days gone, all have that familiar open world cinematic action gameplay?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I mean.... didnt Sony have the most new ips out gen ps4...? What are people complaining about, and most paid off well
Probably they are not nearly diverse as they once were. I love to see a new jrpg IP for example. Sony put out a lot of great games but many were in the same category. I am talking Sony studios not purchased games by other developers.

ABnormal

And Sony keeps taking the risk, and it keeps paying off.

He's not saying they aren't willing to keep doing that here, he's just commenting on the reality of it. (and trying to excuse the price hike of course, but what he is saying isn't untrue about new IP for a blockbuster being a risk)

Especially considering that video games market is very... unusual, from the point of view of cost and price. I'm gaming since the times of C64 and the first consoles, and there is this absurd situation of games becoming progressively cheaper with the passing of time. At the time of cartridges, games prices were crazy (and you have to consider inflation - 100 dollars in the eighties have not the same purchase value of 100 dollars today, there's a huge difference).
Even PS1 games were often higher priced than now (at least here in Italy), and we are witnessing the very strange situation of several console generations of continuous increase of games development costs, but nearly no increase of games price at all.
As development costs rise, development itself becomes less and less sustainable, to the point that companies could be forced to give the green light only to those projects that play safe, that are a sure commercial success. That would be obviously a great loss for creativity and experimentation (movies suffer from that problem as well).
The problem is that gamers are really spoiled from that point of view, and they expect games to continue to cost the same price forever, even if the development cost continue to increase. That's obviously unrealistic and non sustainable.

The problem is confronted from all the possible perspectives (for example, trying to make the console and tools easier to use, in order to require less time and resources to develop, and counter the continuous increase of complexity and assets), but it's impossible to avoid to influence the retail price forever.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Probably they are not nearly diverse as they once were. I love to see a new jrpg IP for example. Sony put out a lot of great games but many were in the same category. I am talking Sony studios not purchased games by other developers.
Sure but thats their bread and butter and what worked for them and made them the most money. Do I hope for a lil more diversity? Sure, but keep them third person story driven games coming.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Especially considering that video games market is very... unusual, from the point of view of cost and price. I'm gaming since the times of C64 and the first consoles, and there is this absurd situation of games becoming progressively cheaper with the passing of time. At the time of cartridges, games prices were crazy (and you have to consider inflation - 100 dollars in the eighties have not the same purchase value of 100 dollars today, there's a huge difference).
Even PS1 games were often higher priced than now (at least here in Italy), and we are witnessing the very strange situation of several console generations of continuous increase of games development costs, but nearly no increase of games price at all.
As development costs rise, development itself becomes less and less sustainable, to the point that companies could be forced to give the green light only to those projects that play safe, that are a sure commercial success. That would be obviously a great loss for creativity and experimentation (movies suffer from that problem as well).
The problem is that gamers are really spoiled from that point of view, and they expect games to continue to cost the same price forever, even if the development cost continue to increase. That's obviously unrealistic and non sustainable.

The problem is confronted from all the possible perspectives (for example, trying to make the console and tools easier to use, in order to require less time and resources to develop, and counter the continuous increase of complexity and assets), but it's impossible to avoid to influence the retail price forever.

The cost to manufacture a cartridge especially ones with things like the FX chip was real. Also games back then did not sell nearly as many copies as they do now. A million seller was a big deal back then now 6 million is disappointing figure. That money also got all content there was no locked dlc or loot boxes that make billions a year. If they want to ditch loot boxes and on disc dlc most would not care about the price increase. It is a price increase on top of more DLC and loot boxes.

Sure but thats their bread and butter and what worked for them and made them the most money. Do I hope for a lil more diversity? Sure, but keep them third person story driven games coming.

They could do both buy studios with the wasteful timed exclusive and marketing deal budget. Let the new studios make new types of games and everyone wins.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They just put out two mascot platformers and a Souls game..... they also put out Dreams this year. The other two games... TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are both up for GOTY..... and personally GOT is my favorite new IP of the generation, it's just incredible.

They also published MLB The Shaw and Iron man VR.

Astrobot was Japan Studio too...so they are putting out excellent stuff.

This thread is just laughable.

Elginer

Yes, it’s a risk but one worth taking that makes their platform the place for exclusive content and this why will continue to invest in blockbuster style games

Perrott

Gold Member
Everytime Ryan opens his mouth, I shake my head. I miss the days of Kaz Hirai, Jack Tretton, and Andrew House.
Why? The output of Sony Worldwide Studios was much more worse back then compared to today and tons of studios/partners were heavily mismanaged (Japan Studio, Santa Monica, Zipper Interactive, Incognito, London Studio, Liverpool Studio, Cambridge Studio, BigBig Studios, Insomniac, Level 5, etc).

And regarding Ryan's statements from the OP, he is not wrong. New IPs are risky nowadays since the projects have gotten too big to fail, that's why when some things don't pan out the way it was expected (The Order, DriveClub, Death Stranding) we are talking about a fairly significant loss for the publisher. And no, the answer isn't going the AA route, as those projects are not system sellers in the eyes of the mainstream crowd; nobody gave a shit about Housemarque when they were doing top down shooters/arcade games.

Last edited:
Why? The output of Sony Worldwide Studios was much more worse back then compared to today and tons of studios/partners were heavily mismanaged (Japan Studio, Santa Monica, Zipper Interactive, Incognito, London Studio, Liverpool Studio, Cambridge Studio, BigBig Studios, Insomniac, Level 5, etc).

Those games were in development far before Jim Ryan ever took helm as the CEO. Let's not make it look like he greenlit those recent blockbuster successes. Fact of the matter is that it just so happens that the majority of Sony's AAA new IP titles outweighs the it's smaller titles (Did Detroit and Death Stranding really do that bad)?

Take a look at MS AAA output and you might have a sliver of a point.

april6e

It has already been said a million times in this topic but it needs to be said again.

This article is hilarious because just about every new IP Sony had last gen (Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.) absolutely blew up, has 90+ metacritic scores with universal critical acclaim and has made them buckets of money.

Yet they still think new IPs are "risky". So laughable.

Last edited:
Sony is the ONLY one investing in brand new ips from the ground up.

They've had, what, no more than at least 8 new ips this generation?

Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Astrobot game series, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Blood and something (VR), Bloodborne, Driveclub, and I'm probably forgetting one or two.

Thread title is misleading, but if you're a fanboy with the desire to be instilled with history revisionist beliefs then sure.

But idk man, Sony has always taken the risk, but full well acknowledging how risky it is to do so, which is why they almost always never rush out a product.

BootsLoader

Banned
He is talking about risk and opportunity cost not saying that they have problems with spending money to make more money (a rare occasion where he is not sticking his foot inside his mouth too much, what a surprise). Where are you reading that?
Well that’s what I got from his talk. When investing in something “surprise, surprise” there’s always risk. So why talk about it?

bender

What time is it?
I'm still kind of shocked that Sony went forward with Death Stranding and while I didn't enjoy the game very much, I'm glad it exists as it stands apart from a lot of Sony's other AAA output which can feel very me too (open world efforts like Days Gone, Horizon, Tsushima) or concepts that have overstayed their welcome (Naught Dog's cinematic shooters). Sony's great at bringing variety and I hope smaller stuff keeps getting the green light too.

Shmunter

Shaking my head at Sony. killing Evolution, not locking up Supermassive, Quantic Dream, Giant Sparrow, Thatgamecompany.

You succeed because of the creative edge Sony. Not just the AAAA cockbusters.

Top Bottom