• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss says investing in new IPs is "very risky", Sony thinks very deeply and carefully when balancing its portfolio

DonJimbo

I'm still kind of shocked that Sony went forward with Death Stranding and while I didn't enjoy the game very much, I'm glad it exists as it stands apart from a lot of Sony's other AAA output which can feel very me too (open world efforts like Days Gone, Horizon, Tsushima) or concepts that have overstayed their welcome (Naught Dog's cinematic shooters). Sony's great at bringing variety and I hope smaller stuff keeps getting the green light too.
And I hope they fire Jim Ryan and get Andrew House back

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Kaz or Shuhei please. Yosp is a fun twitter follow these days and seems to be enjoy his current role though.

This guy should've been the CEO:

JackTretton_Headshot.jpg

DonJimbo

This guy should've been the CEO:

JackTretton_Headshot.jpg
Yes Jack is king loved his E3 presentations such a sympathetic and fun guy
He and Kaz and shu and Andrew were the faces who presented playstations attractiveness
Jimbo is a nothing and must get kicked out from the company

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Haven't Playstations Studios proven that they know what they're doing, with a pedigree of top-notch titles bested/matched only by Nintendo? Whatever their strategy is, keep doing it. Don't compromise. Quantity means nothing without quality. They've proven that they can nurture quality games from their studios, with very few misses. They consistently set the benchmark on their platform, and that's very important. Nintendo sets the tone for their systems, and Sony does so as well. It gives the consumer confidence that when they by a Nintento or Sony machine, they can expect a certain caliber of game, even if there is 3rd party shovelware also available. Sony has an invisible seal of approval that comes when you see that they're the publisher of a game. That's how it should be.

SkylineRKR

Shaking my head at Sony. killing Evolution, not locking up Supermassive, Quantic Dream, Giant Sparrow, Thatgamecompany.

You succeed because of the creative edge Sony. Not just the AAAA cockbusters.

The only thing I would regret is killing Evolution as Motorstorm and Driveclub are top tier for me.

I didn't give a shit about QD and Thatgameocompany. Supermassive made a fun QTE rental, but, nah. Sony has a lot of studios. Meanwhile they grabbed Insomniac which I MUCH rather have than QD and Supermassive combined.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Does anyone know of any articles that breakdown the budgets for games especially the really big titles?

The budget for the M Night Shyamalan film the Village was leaked a number of years ago and the biggest proportion of the budget went on the actors, in particular Joaquin Phoenix. I doubt this is the case with games. I'm curious where the money goes (I suspect in the Spiderman case much of the money goes to Disney for the licence)

hemo memo

Gold Member
At least they have a plan B to some titles. Recent example is Destruction AllStars going from $70 to free PS+ game.

I trust Jim more than I trust my own father.

Keep on keeping on, Sony! :messenger_bicep:
Is that sarcastic or some sort of stockholm syndrom? Didn't Ryan, like lied about nearly everything he said?

• We believe in Console Generations instead of what is Xbox doing
    • But HZD2 is cross gen, Miles Morales is Crossgen and maybe also God of War. And we will keep supporting the ps4.
  • We don't think something like Gamepass is good
    • But here is our ps plus collection
    • last Week: we have something like Gamepass in the works, please look forward to it
  • We could make our ps5 pre orders better, first wave was not that good.
    • How about randomly wait until some twitter guy says there is a queue on the sony webpage and give Bots more chance by making it all online and not add online verification until like what, the last two weeks?
  • Removes also on other Plattforms off the Demon Souls
    • You can bet that Demon Souls will release on PC.
what else did this guy said and it turned out to be a lie?

Let me remind you, this is the guy that made an extremly vague statement, about ps5 sales while saying "amount of preorders of the first 12 hours, compared to the 12 Weeks of the ps4 is higher, in the usa" and he said it like the ps5 sold more in 12 hours than the ps4.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Sigh.. I was against the $70 price raise and still am but if the price raise means we will still get new IPs then I'll take it I guess.. .

Looking at last generation Sony pretty much had like all the late and great new IPs. I hope they continue to take these risks with new IPs. It keeps things fresh and not stale sequel after sequel.

Returnal I'm very interested in since it's a new IP and I think we will certainly see new IP from naughty dog and santa Monica before the end of the ps5 generation.

ANIMAL1975

Which 4 new IPs from PS4 era they mean?

1) Horizon
2)
3)
4) ?

Don't tell me Knack costs 100 million to make.
Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding
Sony has a pretty good track record of introducing new ips.

Knack -
The Order -
Bloodborne* +
Until Dawn +
Horizon +
Detroit ~
Astrobot +
Days Gone ~
Death Stranding ~
Ghost of Tsushima +
Dreams, Drive Clube,... Jimmy doesn't know how many new IPs we got this generation.

SoraNoKuni

I really like sony and believe they nailed it with ps4, but... Jim really makes questionable statements almost every time he talks.

Let's hope this guy just lacks understanding of communication and is better at actually delivering.

BootsLoader

Banned
Stakeholder (investors) and consumer expectation management would be my answer. The risk grows and he just acknowledged it. People want transparency then complain when they get it ;)?
Well you’re right, from your point of view it makes sense. As for transparency, Andrew House and Jack Tretton was transparent too. I didn’t complain about transparency, but did you expect, not to complain if i don’t like what he said?

Shubh_C63

I am sorry but when it comes to Sony IPs, I am at cloud number nine. Till this point everything looks right up my alley, these AAA cinematic games are amazing and WHATEVER their management is doing to balance their portfolio...GG man, GG.

AmuroChan

They could do both buy studios with the wasteful timed exclusive and marketing deal budget. Let the new studios make new types of games and everyone wins.

Well, everyone wins except when those studios make games that don't sell. Evolution was closed down after Driveclub. Guerrilla Cambridge was closed after making Rigs. Zipper shuttered after MAG and Unit 13. Liverpool after Wipeout 2048. So Sony to their studios is basically like sure, go try making new types of games, but if they don't sell millions of copies, you're gone.

SkylineRKR

Well, everyone wins except when those studios make games that don't sell. Evolution was closed down after Driveclub. Guerrilla Cambridge was closed after making Rigs. Zipper shuttered after MAG and Unit 13. Liverpool after Wipeout 2048. So Sony to their studios is basically like sure, go try making new types of games, but if they don't sell millions of copies, you're gone.

Wipeout as a franchise was long in decline. Hell, the entire arcade racing genre was. Apparently Sony thinks Liverpool can't do much else, or they have other studios to fill that in. They can churn out Wipeout after Wipeout, or w/e, but it won't sell anymore sadly. How many did the remaster sell? I love it to bits (in VR also), but I think it bombed also.

If you objectively look at Evo's portfolio for example, its mostly arcade racers or kinda hybrids like DC. As we know those don't sell anymore. What can you do with Evolution otherwise? Let them develop a Ghost of Tsushima? It seems their pedigree is arcade racers. OnRush bombed hard as well. If DC didn't do them in, then OnRush would. Don't forget they were already to be offloaded after Apocalypse, but I think RC kept them kind of on board.

Zipper, they created MAG which was cool but obsolete next to BF. It looked very garish, though I did enjoy it. But its obvious it wasn't going to set the world on fire. SOCOM 4 was a piece of trash with or without PSN. Sony can just as easy bank on CoD (and their exclusive shit deals) and BF for that MP fix. Those sell systems, more than any Zipper game ever would.

Those killed studios, they simply lacked the ability to create a hit franchise in Sony's eyes. And I think they're right. I didn't see Zipper creating the next CoD, or Horizon or w/e. Two were specialized in a dying genre. The other actually makes FPS and TPS, but small time efforts compared to Activision and DICE. Good studios in a bygone era.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well you’re right, from your point of view it makes sense. As for transparency, Andrew House and Jack Tretton was transparent too. I didn’t complain about transparency, but did you expect, not to complain if i don’t like what he said?

You are genuine so I appreciate your posts. Even if you weren’t it would not be my place to censor you, I would just reply and challenge that.
I would just expect us to take the argument in context as it was not particularly controversial in the end.

As long as we can chat and either (in time) I change my mind or you change yours (or we can agree to disagree), I do not have much else to say :).

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Apparently Sony thinks Liverpool can't do much else, or they have other studios to fill that in.
Studio Liverpool before it was absorbed into whole Playstation machine was one of best developer/publisher in the world. Sony turned them into F1/Wipeout producing machine and thrown them away later when they couldn't squeeze anything from them.

What can you do with Evolution otherwise? Let them develop a Ghost of Tsushima?
MS allowed Playground to develop new Fable, so I don't see problem in that.

Those killed studios, they simply lacked the ability to create a hit franchise in Sony's eyes. And I think they're right.
I don't think they are right. Not every game need to be hit franchise. Thinking like that is biggest cancer of current gaming and reason why almost everything is nth game in series or focus tested into oblivion.

AmuroChan

As some others pointed out... Why? Can't they make new and smaller IP's that don't cost as much?

They can, but most people ignore it when they do. Dreams, Medievil, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush 2, Everybody's Golf, Truth & Blood, Erica, etc all came and went with no one caring. Even on smaller budgets most of those games probably bombed commercially.

petran79

Banned
Now sjw want also their share fir their theories. The less attractive the character,the more expensive the game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They are, returnal is being made by a super small team at Horsemarque.
They can, but most people ignore it when they do. Dreams, Medievil, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush 2, Everybody's Golf, Truth & Blood, Erica, etc all came and went with no one caring. Even on smaller budgets most of those games probably bombed commercially.
Maybe it's a marketing thing yep, because I have to confess I've never heard about half those games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Or maybe a console isn't the market for this kinda games anymore? I mean, the average Joe gives 0 shits about small titles and plays mostly CODs, Ubi games and Sony exclusives, so maybe that's why smaller titles underperform?

Interfectum

lol @ a bean counter saying bean counter things.

Looks like PS5 is going to be a lot of $69 remasters from PS4.

You post this, with an xbox avatar, while MS literally launched a console with a port of a Gears spin-off, a Gears patch, backwards compatibility hype and a delayed Halo game.

tenor.gif

k.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Are they? How many passion projects like Grounded Sony studios made (excluding Sony Japan)?

Dreams? VR? Astrobot PS5?

Grounded and Sea of Thieves are greenlit because MS sees GAAS as a priority, Sony doesn't. That doesn't mean there aren't passion projects greenlit by Sony though.

Top Bottom