• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation cartridge patent registred in brazil

McRazzle

What I was saying was that your "solution" is a completely unrealistic, never gonna happen fantasy.
Sony would not go through the trouble of making this convoluted system when just having the customers who want a physical copy buy the games again is much simpler and more financially viable.
They've sold 100 million consoles, it would not be easier to sell that many people new physical copies of the games they already own; especially considering they would be paying a higher cost for the game on a cartridge.

And no, patents are filed everywhere, otherwise your intellectual property isn't protected everywhere. The location is also irrelevant.
They're not always filed in Brazil first.
Patents are filed first in certain countries because companies presume people won't be searching patent websites for them, (as Sony most likely expected with the PS5 dev kit) and then if somebody claims they had an idea first the company can prove otherwise.

Portable PS4 (Switch clone) that slides into a PSVR2 headset unit for wireless, low-latency VR.

Could be why Yoshida was moved to indie development support.

Last edited:

McCheese

Next gen games will be huge, moving stuff on and off that super fast (and small) SSD is going to be a faff.

Would be nice if I could hotswap other drives in.

TLZ

Banned
I really doubt PS5 will use cartridge

Same goes to the next Xbox, both will still be using bluray
Hmm... If both are using same tech, then why is it only Sony that's boasting super fast loading times? Maybe because they're running off a cartridge and not a disc or HDD/SSD? I don't know. Speculating!

We need to hear from MS soon. They're dead silent.

I really doubt PS5 will use cartridge

Same goes to the next Xbox, both will still be using bluray
Hmm... If both are using same tech, then why is it only Sony that's boasting super fast loading times? Maybe because they're running off a cartridge and not a disc or HDD/SSD? I don't know. Speculating!

We need to hear from MS soon. They're dead silent.
I don't know where you guys got this from, Cerny already said that they will be using 100Gb BlueRay, so besides a portable devise or a SSD swap or some sort of an upgrade i don't see them using this to replace CD's.
unless CD's will be used as game storage installs and you play on your fusion drive or ssd.

Ryu Kaiba

They've sold 100 million consoles, it would not be easier to sell that many people new physical copies of the games they already own; especially considering they would be paying a higher cost for the game on a cartridge.

Could be why Yoshida was moved to indie development support.

You have the expectations of a 12 year old.

Kagero

Cartridge could house a flash drive storage system in addition to the fast internal SSD? Like a super memory stick that doesn't heat up as easy as memory stick and are more reliable. One can dream right?

23bad24cf0b874aadf7ce0df8a9dbb49.jpg

I actually think those who are calling "swappable proprietary SSD" may very well be right.

So long as we don't have a Vita situation I would be OK (still annoyed) with it.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Bad, bad NeoGAF! A portable PS4/PS5 is like my dream. I'm always using the windows 10 PS4 Remote Play app in bed with a DS4 controller. Id love something like a PS Switch

ksdixon

Well they did just open up the remote play app for all android devices... Seemingly out of nowhere after it being a boon for Xperia phones for years and years. Presumably that is for increasing mineshare?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They're not always filed in Brazil first.
Patents are filed first in certain countries because companies presume people won't be searching patent websites for them, (as Sony most likely expected with the PS5 dev kit) and then if somebody claims they had an idea first the company can prove otherwise.

What a hilarious confirmation bias theory.

There isn't a single element hinting that this was "filed in Brazil first"
Brazil is simply the country that made the doc public first.

On top of that, countries like Brazil have the least security for this kind of stuff. It's funny that you believe that any company in its right mind would file patents there first to keep em secret. 😂

GV82

Let’s go full weird with a guess, the cartridges plug into the Controller & you get to play mini games on your DualShock 5 that has a screen instead of a Touch Bar, that you can take with you to a friends house to trade game items and erm saves. 🤔

Or not.

Let’s go full weird with a guess, the cartridges plug into the Controller & you get to play mini games on your DualShock 5 that has a screen instead of a Touch Bar, that you can take with you to a friends house to trade game items and erm saves. 🤔

Or not.
How did you manage to be off like that, even if i tried that hard i wouldnt manage to deliver that master piece.
Can i ask what tha f are you snoring ?

Gargus

Banned
Just because a patent is filed doesn't mean shit really. More parents are probably filed than actually in use. It's just to protect an idea is all.

If they used this I'd imagine it would be in the playstation 6. If they even use it.

GV82

How did you manage to be off like that, even if i tried that hard i wouldnt manage to deliver that master piece.
Can i ask what tha f are you snoring ?

Calm down it was just a joke post🤣, I know you’re really excited about these cartridges from your post back in March to your post of this thread but no need to get that wound up about them because you’re excited by them.

Whatever these Cartridges turn out to be or not, we will find out in good time.

Calm down it was just a joke post🤣, I know you’re really excited about these cartridges from your post back in March to your post of this thread but no need to get that wound up about them because you’re excited by them.

Whatever these Cartridges turn out to be or not, we will find out in good time.
It was a joke..... you found the joke.

McRazzle

You have the expectations of a 12 year old.
Apparently a lot of people in this thread have the expectations of a 12 year old, considering the amount suggesting it may be for a portable.
And I would rather have the expectations of a 12 year than be a cynical prick posting on a gaming forum.

McRazzle

What a hilarious confirmation bias theory.
I hope I made your sides hurt.
There isn't a single element hinting that this was "filed in Brazil first"
Brazil is simply the country that made the doc public first.
It was made public in early August like the PS5 dev kit, it hasn't shown up anywhere else since.
That's a hint.
On top of that, countries like Brazil have the least security for this kind of stuff. It's funny that you believe that any company in its right mind would file patents there first to keep em secret. 😂
To keep hidden from gamers/publications that search American and Euro patent websites regularly,looking for any signs of what a company is up to.
I doubt Sony expected a Dutch tech website to be searching Brazilian patents, and the reason a Dutch website would do that is to see if they could find a hint of a product that a company would try to keep hidden.

Raploz

If it's related to PS5 it's probably the way they've found to make the PS5 storage upgradable. Probably a super fast proprietary SSD expansion. I don't think off the shelf SSDs will be compatible with next-gen consoles.

EctoPrime

Potentially the high speed storage in the PS5 is tiny, like one game at a time tiny and the external cartridge is an upgrade path.

Possible launch Playstation 5 storage: 128GB ssd and 2TB hdd.
I would guess that games would not copy everything to the ssd but just the core game. A game might be 150GB but only 50 might be transferred with the rest remaining on the hdd.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, cartridges make a lot of sense for a standalone PSVR. Not going to put a Blu-ray drive in that.
Yeah that's the most interesting idea I've heard in this thread so far, but I really think it's Vita 2......That 5500M should be a monster for a handheld....Sony needs to share some of that handheld pie with Nintendo and have a chance at a top selling platform in Japan again...

Ryu Kaiba

Apparently a lot of people in this thread have the expectations of a 12 year old, considering the amount suggesting it may be for a portable.
And I would rather have the expectations of a 12 year than be a cynical prick posting on a gaming forum.
Yeah they make sense for a portable, but not for your idiotic theories.

Animagic

Banned
Bring on the PS Switch, because taking my games on the plane with me is absolutely awesome. I never want to go back to having to wait until I’m back home on a weekend with time to spare to play a game

i hope sony does make another playstation protable. Competition is good. Nintendo made some bad design choices with switch but they dont care because there is no competition. This will force everyone to do better. Between switch this and x cloud handheld market is going to be interesting hte next couple of years.

vkbest

If Sony release a new portable console some day, they will fail again unless they release a PS4 portable, where you can play all digital games from PS4 (and maybe cartridges instead Blu-ray)

emmerrei

GPU upgrades for PS5 or a new 8/16bit home console, where developers can create their 8/16bit version of a AAA game. For me it's more Likely to have that than a new portable.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Most likely for the re-issue of PSP and Vita games so they can be played on the PS5.

But Ultrazilla, why wouldn't Sony just release these games digital only to play on the PS5?

Well that's because Sony is most likely making a new handheld game system as well... :messenger_beaming:

Okay, I'm gonna spitball for a bit (will admit some of this could be slightly overly optimistic on my part). I'm having a hard time picturing it's a proprietary SSD. The only case I can see them going this route would be making it similar to Intel's Optane memory. It's similar to RAM (I'm assuming in that it can provide random access? I know for sure the Persistent Memory modules do, I'm guessing the lower-tier ones just do it slower) and 32GB modules usually go for something like $60.

Guess if these PS cartridges are taking this route, they could source components at a large enough scale to design 64GB or even 128GB versions of that sort of thing for comparable prices or slightly higher (say up to $80). IIRC Optane Memory has reads of around 900 MB/s to 1400 MB/s (1.4 GB/s) and writes of around 145 MB/s - 300 MB/s.

Which is actually much slower than, say, the Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4 SSD (5 GB/s read, 4.4 GB/s write), let alone GDDR6 or HBM2, but keep in mind stuff like Optane is meant to provide random-access and byte-addressable writes of RAM with non-volatile storage of NAND in one package. It would basically function like a large cache, and 64/128/256 GB capacities at prices between $60-$200 would probably be doable at large enough scales to get the pricing for components as low as possible and still be profitable while providing an SSG-style benefit with more robust NAND (3D Xpoint vs. traditional NAND), preferably over a dual PCIe 4.0 connection (if that would help bring even faster speeds than the numbers noted for the Optane; otherwise no reason to interface it over anything over 1x PCIe 4.0 lane tbqh).

I would prefer that over a SSG-style setup with the IC soldered to the board especially if the benefit for that wouldn't net any notable speed advantage. Plus with a replaceable solution, you can always upgrade. The benefits would be just big enough to make a noticeable impact on game performance, but not SO big that it shifts the development target for developers into wide gulfs of performance (which would create something more like a PC development environment). Otherwise if that sort of situation were to arise, it'd be better to just standardize to one spec integrated directly to the system itself.

If devs take advantage of any machine-learning capabilities the systems may have, they could just use a certain amount of any given cartridge's capacity as a constant to program against for specific game logic, assets etc., and then have other available amounts usable for algorithms generated through the machine-learning process. I could see PS5 (and Scarlet, if it's taking a similar approach) shipping with a 64GB "cartridge" of the aforementioned Optane-style memory pre-installed as the basic configuration, and they might offer larger-capacity ones optionally running up to 256GB, but those probably wouldn't be available at launch, just other 64GB versions.

And no, this wouldn't replace a traditional SSD; I'd expect PS5 to have an M.2 slot for optional drives, operating on some version of NVMe 1.3. If Sony did something like I'm picturing here, they're never going to be able to make a 'cartridge' of this stuff at 1TB, 2TB etc. sizes that is cost-effective, but they certainly aren't going with platter drive support unless it's external over some USB, either. Hence the M.2 slot for third-party SSDs.

marquimvfs

-Cartridge Title : It's a device to READ AND WRITE DATA. (if anyone who understand portuguese can confirm ?)
-SSD swap ?
It says "Configuration applicable to/in recording and data storage devices." Pretty vague to guess anything, but i think it's ONLY for use with the devkit, maybe a faster and rewritable media for the studios.

Top Bottom