• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Chief Jack Tretton: How To Sell Vita, Navigate Clouds, And Debut The PS4

Hex

Banned
params7 said:
Yeah, sure is. we’re going to sell another six million this year.

PS2 will keep selling even when PS4 releases.

I still need to pick up a PS2 slim since I sold my launch PS3 and had to pick up a newer one.

This sounds like good news to me...

I don't mind if they wait it out a couple years, as long as I get my samaritan demo level of graphics...

I want another PS2--> PS3 leap before I upgrade... my new lapto should hold me over until next gen anyway

dwebo said:
No new bullet point feature that would actually sell a PS4 to the average consumer.

True, PS3 was sold on Full HD and Blu-ray. If 3D actually takes off I could see Sony pushing out PS4 for full HD 3D and true Blu-ray 3D without frame packing and maybe even 1080p60 for games.

Other than 3D and maybe tablet control, I don't see how Sony will market PS4. Good point...

JABEE

Phonomezer said:
It means he wants people to buy a PS3.
Exactly. Saying that you won't see a PS4 for quite some time is the same as Reggie saying wait for 45 million. It has no bearing on whether or not a new system will be coming in 2012 or 2013.

Mrbob

Gamasutra had info about May NPD, and the average selling price of the PS3 is still over 300 dollars. 314 dollars to be exact. Strap yourselves in for a longer generation than normal, as Sony is going to want to sell a lot of consoles at 199 and under as well. I'm hopeful for 2013 but bracing for 2014.

Jack was straight up trolling Nintendo at the end too. Pretty funny! Also, it might be just to show face, but I do like the fact he said Sony will choose the gamer over the casual person if they only have one to get since they'll grab more software. Smart thing to say even if it is just for PR purposes!

Hex

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
This pretty much confirms that Sony won't unveil PS4 until at least E3 2013.

I would not be so sure.
It all depends how Microsoft plays their hands and how early real information gets to Sony (and vice versa)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you bought a PS3 at launch like me, you've had it for 5-6 years. I want a new one.

If you bought one in the last couple of years, its completely fine to want to keep that for another couple.

Both things can be right you know

Opus Angelorum said:
Indeed, there is a PS4 sitting on someone's desk right now.

Yup. 100% Sony have PS4s in the wild somewhere. I mean we only started hearing about Vita right at the end of 2010 a few months before Vita was announced. I think Sony are going to have a special announcement conference about it just like Vita this January.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Haha @ the no technological advancement possible thing.

He's right about Wii U though. If Nintendo can't migrate third parties onto a new generation of content, it's basically a catch-up console, and MS and Sony won't be scurrying to react.

Suzzopher

They'll announce PS4 next year at some point, maybe not E3, but they'll announce and have a big E3 2013 with an Autumn PS4 release.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
zomgbbqftw said:
True, PS3 was sold on Full HD and Blu-ray. If 3D actually takes off I could see Sony pushing out PS4 for full HD 3D and true Blu-ray 3D without frame packing and maybe even 1080p60 for games.

Other than 3D and maybe tablet control, I don't see how Sony will market PS4. Good point...

Nothing wrong with frame packing. You know you get full HD 1080p/24 x 2 3D? There is currently no need to go any higher for movies.

For 3D games you might want 1080p/60 but no TVs support that

The Lamp

TekkenMaster said:
This pretty much confirms that Sony won't unveil PS4 until at least E3 2013.

Not really. This just confirms that they don't want to talk about it right now.

Didn't Nintendo go from "NOOOOO WE'RE NOT EVEN GOING TO THINK ABOUT THE NEXT-GENERATION PLATFORM" and then move to "Okay we'll talk about it when we reach ____ number of sales" to "meet the Wii U."? Lol.

Mrbob

gofreak said:
Haha @ the no technological advancement possible thing.

He's right about Wii U though. If Nintendo can't migrate third parties onto a new generation of content, it's basically a catch-up console, and MS and Sony won't be scurrying to react.

Well this is the thing. If the Wii U can't separate itself from the other two with 3rd party games I don't know how this is a big boon for Nintendo. Xbox and Playstation have both spent 5 years roughly building up communities on each platform, and I don't think there will be a big migration either. So Nintendo could be going from having the lead in the market to being 60 million + consumers down on both competitors when they launch the Wii U.

daffy

Banned
Our attitude is kind of ‘welcome to the party.’ If you’re looking at being a multimedia entertainment device, if you’re looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us.
Fuck yerr

Is WiiU even multimedia though? lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mrbob said:
Gamasutra had info about May NPD, and the average selling price of the PS3 is still over 300 dollars. 314 dollars to be exact. Strap yourselves in for a longer generation than normal, as Sony is going to want to sell a lot of consoles at 199 and under as well. I'm hopeful for 2013 but bracing for 2014.

Jack was straight up trolling Nintendo at the end too. Pretty funny! Also, it might be just to show face, but I do like the fact he said Sony will choose the gamer over the casual person if they only have one to get since they'll grab more software. Smart thing to say even if it is just for PR purposes!

The question isn't how many consoles they sell at $199, its when they launch PS4. If PS4 is expensive - $399 or more, then it can live happily alongside a $199 PS3 for years to come. In fact a $199 PS3 helps keep the cost of a launch PS4 high as it creates perceived value.

And PS3 will be around for ages anyway - firstly Vita will get PS3 ports, but eventually PS3 will get Vita ports as it fades into the mainstream lower price tiers

The Lamp

Gravijah said:
It doesn't play DVDs or Blu-Rays, so that is not Nintendos aim.

Well they are going for being a multimedia device, at least as shown with their 3DS and its music-playback/movie-watching/picture-snapping features.

zomgbbqftw said:

You don't need a gimmick if the games are solid and the hardware is noticably better.
Blu ray (and dvd) in ps3 (and ps2) only made sense because sony wanted to push their new format and the cd format didn't offer enough storage space.

We had cartridge based consoles with the same types of controllers and outputs etc for like 15 years, noone ever complained about that.
Every dumb gimmick came halfway through a cycle and miserably failed (sega CD, power glove, virtual boy)

If they can fix load times , the browser, media playback (mkv support, subtitle support, better media server streaming, usb 3.0) , make the games look smooth and sharp and a leg up from current graphics then it will no longer look like some early beta version of a 'HD' console and people will feel the difference and take notice.

Just like everyone suddenly needed a dual core pc when it meant the system was 10 times more responsive and you could actually multitask.

Nintendo made a successful gimmick once (waggle) and suddenly they are geniuses (ignoring gb camera addon, virtual boy, power glove, ram addon for n64 , c nub is convenient) and now everyone needs a stupid gimmick to sell hardware for some reason?

Sony and MS copied them to win some moms and grandmas over with agressive marketing budgets and limited success and then sony tried to plug their bravia 3d tv's with the 3d games on ps3 (with very very little success).

Just give me some decent build quality , functional hardware next gen instead thanks.

Vorg

Banned
I love the part where he says their goal is to make sure their customers don't leave the house without the vita. Not only does that confirm that it is indeed competing with smartphones, but it's also an admission of slight incompetence in my opinion. If that was indeed their goal why didn't they include a gsm module in and sell a perfect converged device instead of just a console/media player?

Isn't this the same company that once said next gen doesnt start until they say it does?

If Microsoft does actually unveil their plans for a 360 successor this E3 then does Sony honestly think that they can just lay back? They don't have that PS2 draw anymore to just launch whenever the fuck they feel like. Microsoft gained a tremendous amount of traction this generation while Sony lost quite a bit. Nevertheless, what he is saying is moot though as we already know that the PS4 is in development.

Owzers

offshore said:
"just hitting its stride"

I wish Tretton would stop saying this. The PS3 was "hitting its stride" at E3 in 09, 10 and 11 according to him. How can you be hitting your stride for three years in a row?

"And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have. "

Okay, he's just trolling everyone.

At some point he might as well tell the people reading his interview to build a gaming pc.

SneakyStephan said:
You don't need a gimmick if the games are solid and the hardware is noticably better.

We had cartridge based consoles with the same types of controllers and outputs etc for like 15 years, noone ever complained about that.

If they can fix load times , the browser, media playback (mkv support, subtitle support, better media server streaming) , make the games look smooth and sharp and a leg up from current graphics then it will no longer look like some early beta version of a 'HD' console and people will feel the difference and take notice.

Just like everyone suddenly needed a dual core pc when it meant the system was 10 times more responsive and you could actually multitask.

PS1 - Disc based gaming, 3D graphics. PS2 - DVD, much better graphics. PS3 - Blu-ray, HD and the promise of 3D. PS4 needs a new hook, it could be tablet gaming, but with Vita being a 5" device they may already have entered that arena without PS4.

PS4 development is already well underway and is eating into their R/D in a big way. Tretton, even if he knows, wouldn't be allowed to say.

zomgbbqftw said:
PS1 - Disc based gaming, 3D graphics. PS2 - DVD, much better graphics. PS3 - Blu-ray, HD and the promise of 3D. PS4 needs a new hook, it could be tablet gaming, but with Vita being a 5" device they may already have entered that arena without PS4.

I think the one area where they've been lacking compared to Microsoft this generation is online, so it wouldn't surprise me if their 'hook' for the PS4 was a completely revamped PSN.

Arklite

zomgbbqftw said:
All those implementations were there to have the consoles meet or exceed current tech trends. As long as their system is at the forefront then they'll meet the same status quo.

Hex

Banned
Lonely1 said:
When do you guys believe we will get solid release dates? (for Vita, of course).

Probably not until TGS, though don't they have a show in Germany before then?

zomgbbqftw said:

Console gaming didn't start with ps1.

Also disc based gaming had tangible advantages over the old format (44 khz stereo, disc space for FMV/cgi) , though it did butcher loading times.
Same with dvd (5.1 DTX push, disc space, movies, dvd players costing as much as a ps2) aka everything I already said in my previous post).
Blu ray : uncompressed audio, disc space, movies in 1080p.

There is no outcry for a new format this time around because dual layer blu rays already have plenty of space and audio quality has caught up to the point where only audiophiles care to get a standalone receiver/sound card.

It was never about a hook, it was there because it had tangible benifits and it was needed.

A gimmick for the sake of a 'hook' is stupid , and that's when you get shit like powerglove or AR or 400x270 focal point style glassless 3d or waggle simulating kinect.

When did common sense start moving aside for chasing fads for 15 minutes of fame into a painful train wreck of dust collecting/buyer's remorse/brand name down the drain.

offshore said:
"just hitting its stride"

I wish Tretton would stop saying this. The PS3 was "hitting its stride" at E3 in 09, 10 and 11 according to him. How can you be hitting your stride for three years in a row?

"And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have. "

Okay, he's just trolling everyone.

They'll stop saying that once PS3 sales start to dip

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I expect sooner, at Gamescom.
I'd say that if it's hitting the West in 2011, we get the date at GamesCom, if not, we get the Japanese release date at TGS and then the Western one either at TGS or later.

I could be wrong though.

Lonely1 said:
When do you guys believe we will get solid release dates? (for Vita, of course).

Probably TGS since it will come out in Japan first. I don't think Gamescom will be the right place since it will come out last in Europe.

I don't want a new console cycle; devs can't even coop the cost at making games now, imagine going PS3 Xbox720 eeeeshh

the longer this gen lasts, the better is will be for everyone

Hilarious interview. Nintendo is for kids, while Sony is for the masses? The spread of ages and genders playing on Nintendo platforms is FAR broader than on Sony platforms.

Nowhere to go with tech? Bahahahaha.

Top Bottom