• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Chief Jack Tretton: How To Sell Vita, Navigate Clouds, And Debut The PS4

PSFan said:
WTF at the interviewer calling Xbox "Hardcore" when for the past 2 years, MS has focused on the casual/family gamer. If anything, PS3 is the hardcore system right now.

Hardcore to a forbes interviewer means people who play shooters.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lonely1 said:
When do you guys believe we will get solid release dates? (for Vita, of course).

Hopefully GamesCom for news of a western release.

Our attitude is kind of ‘welcome to the party.’ If you’re looking at being a multimedia entertainment device, if you’re looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us.

Ether'd.

DMeisterJ said:

His quote missed pretty much everything Nintendo was aiming at, and also seems to have missed out on Nintendo's success in the past several years by saying that tech wasn't important for tech's sake. Not to mention Nintendo isn't really going for a "multimedia device." Wii U isn't even playing DVDs, is it?

Nintendo doesn't have HD because "HEY LOOK HD!" They have it because HDTVs are actually mass-market now. And their conference pretty much ignored HD to talk about the controller with the sub-HD screen.

So again, Tretton misses the point.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
How is the PS3 a device for the masses when it's being outsold by its two competitors?

What we’ve seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3.

They added PSN to catch up with Microsoft. Then they added motion controls to catch Nintendo. They built Killzone to be a Halo killer. What one original thing has the PS3 brought to the table? What feature unique to Sony has MS and Nintendo tried to copy?

UFRA

Sony said:
And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have.

Oh for fuck sakes....

Vic said:
Not.. enough... bolding...

Then don't bother to click the thread...if you can't handle reading an article then move on.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think he means for the package. Or he is just throwing people off the scent. Or maybe the PS4 will be 2 PS3's duct taped together?!?!?!

Wazzim

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just because he is called that does not mean he is not right.
He is right? Calling Xbox 'hardcore' isn't weird when that console has enormous software sales in the shooter and WRPG genre. Kinect being there doesn't make it any less of a hardcore (hate that term) platform.

thegriefer said:
I liked the comment at the end.

"Is the PlayStation 2 sticking around for a while?"

"Yeah, sure is. we’re going to sell another six million this year."

haha so true
Yep, I had to smirk, too. 6 million is quite a nice number.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Tretton interviews are like throwbacks to out-of-touch Sony circa 2005/2006. I rarely find anything agreeable in his answers. More Yoshida, less Tretton please.

Gravijah

LiquidMetal14 said:
I think he means for the package. Or he is just throwing people off the scent. Or maybe the PS4 will be 2 PS3's duct taped together?!?!?!

Hopefully it's square and purple.

Wazzim said:
He is right? Calling Xbox 'hardcore' isn't weird when that console has enormous software sales in the shooter and WRPG genre. Kinect being there doesn't make it any less of a hardcore (hate that term) platform.

Actually it does because development has now shifted towards Kinect-orientated titles and the multimedia experience (their E3 conference is damning evidence of this). As far as hardcore exclusives go there is GeOW3, Forza 4, and Halo 4 next year, but beyond that the future is uncertain. Sony simply have the better hardcore and exclusive hands this year and beyond, and if you tie Vita in with it, it only gets better.

I like Jack, but can't improve the tech you have?

Give me a fucking break. What a horrible PR line to justify the ancient hardware. If the folks at Sony want to peek inside my PC to show them what modern hardware looks like, they're more than welcome.

WinFonda

PSFan said:
WTF at the interviewer calling Xbox "Hardcore" when for the past 2 years, MS has focused on the casual/family gamer. If anything, PS3 is the hardcore system right now.
But Sony's always kind of had one foot in the casual space, whereas with Microsoft it's a recent thing. Though true, it seems Microsoft has more than a foot in it now.

Napoleonthechimp said:
Welcome to the party? I'm sure Nintendo's billions in profits have kept them knee deep in coke and partying with hookers for a good while now.

Nintendo is like the popular kid in high school that never wants to leave. Sony & MS are already juniors in college.

Adr1an

Man the PS2 just keeps on going

I still think the PS4 gets announced at some point next year either at E3, TGS or Sony's own event and gets released in late 2013.

Caerith

Jack Tretton: I think more than ever, this generation of consoles has more product differentiation, and companies have staked out their own ground.
I thought, more than ever, that this generation of consoles had more multi-platform releases, and companies other than Nintendo have staked out only a handful of exclusives.

Is the PlayStation 2 sticking around for a while?

Yeah, sure is. we’re going to sell another six million this year.
Wonder how that number would change if they still sold PS3s with PS2 BC.

SneakyStephan said:
We had cartridge based consoles with the same types of controllers and outputs etc for like 15 years, noone ever complained about that.
Off-topic, but is there any reason not to go back to cartridge-based consoles? The only reason we went to discs in the first place was storage at the cost of load time, but SDXC cards with 2TB storage have existed since 2009 so doesn't that render discs' advantage moot?

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Actually it does because development has now shifted towards Kinect-orientated titles and the multimedia experience (their E3 conference is damning evidence of this). As far as hardcore exclusives go there is GeOW3, Forza 4, and Halo 4 next year, but beyond that the future is uncertain. Sony simply have the better hardcore and exclusive hands this year and beyond, and if you tie Vita in with it, it only gets better.
They aren't talking about games in the future, they are talking about consoles current demographics.

More hardcore games will be sold on the 360 this year. Doesn't matter if they are exclusive games or not

RSTEIN said:
How is the PS3 a device for the masses when it's being outsold by its two competitors?

They added PSN to catch up with Microsoft. Then they added motion controls to catch Nintendo. They built Killzone to be a Halo killer. What one original thing has the PS3 brought to the table? What feature unique to Sony has MS and Nintendo tried to copy?
Transfarring?

timetokill said:
His quote missed pretty much everything Nintendo was aiming at, and also seems to have missed out on Nintendo's success in the past several years by saying that tech wasn't important for tech's sake. Not to mention Nintendo isn't really going for a "multimedia device." Wii U isn't even playing DVDs, is it?

Nintendo doesn't have HD because "HEY LOOK HD!" They have it because HDTVs are actually mass-market now. And their conference pretty much ignored HD to talk about the controller with the sub-HD screen.

So again, Tretton misses the point.

Exactly, Sony are the ones who jumped on the Wii train last year so he needs to STFU!!!
WiiU is not trying to be anywhere near a multimedia center.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
We want to go after the core gamer, the person that’s the uber user, that’s really going to intuitively know what they want when they first pick it up.
Good luck with that Jack, I really mean it. Cause that user-base you described there is basically about twice large as GAF, and most of it posts on GAF

Mrbob

SneakyStephan said:
Indeed.
In fact, we peaked, hardware is only going to be slower from here on out.

Not necessarily. This prolonged generation will have one good benefit of having better hardware packed into the successors when they launch. If we are looking at a fall 2013 launch, that means the devices could have late 2011/early 2012 or even better hardware in them. When you put this hardware into a closed box it will be able to beast. I think the jump from Xbox 360 to NextBox and PS3 to PS4 will be bigger than the jump from Xbox to 360 or PS2 to PS3.

The_Technomancer said:
Good luck with that Jack, I really mean it. Cause that user-base you described there is basically about twice large as GAF, and most of it posts on GAF
Multiplied by like 2,000 maybe.
timetokill said:
Hilarious interview. Nintendo is for kids, while Sony is for the masses? The spread of ages and genders playing on Nintendo platforms is FAR broader than on Sony platforms.

Nowhere to go with tech? Bahahahaha.
It's not really hilarious. It's just PR talk.

We could find an interview of Reggie that's just as hilarious.

I guess we would need to see what developers can be able to do on Wii U that will make us look at PS3 to see if it truly is doing things to make them get to working more on PS4 than they need to. I mean, werent those research and development costs shown way before Wii U was unveiled?

Though of course, I hope he isnt pulling a Reggie by saying that they arent aiming to talk about the next playstation until some specified objective is reached. I will never forget that, we wont start talking about the Wii Successor until 45mln Wiis in the US statement.

Withnail

RSTEIN said:

Remote play?

Curufinwe

OldJadedGamer said:
Sony & MS are already juniors in college.

Both are being bailed out by their rich parents/other areas of the company that are much more profitable.

RSTEIN said:
What feature unique to Sony has MS and Nintendo tried to copy?

MS tried to copy being able to play movies on discs in 1080p.

Hex

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Both are being bailed out by their rich parents/other areas of the company that are much more profitable.

Actually the gaming side of Sony is one of its most profitable if I am not mistaken.

Curufinwe said:

Pretty sure the Xbox business is propping up the rest of MS' entertainment and devices division.

Lol. Guys on drugs, Sony for the masses....lol

Allaccordingtoplan.gif

Under clocked dev kits and third party reels to give Sony a false impression.

Seriously though this guy is on drugs
Appollowexx said:
Lol so true.

Motion controls in your games. Welcome to 2006
Touch screen on your portable
Welcome to 2004/2005

Withnail

The thing about there being no technological advancement over PS3 is obviously stupid if you take it at face value but do I think there will be a lot of headscratching going on at both MS and Sony in trying to come up with a way of getting people to upgrade. What is the reason to buy a PS4 or Nextbox? 1080p graphics? Most people can't tell the difference, sales of COD make that pretty clear. 60fps? Ditto. 3D? Doesn't seem that popular to me.

The next generation will show relatively minor improvements to graphics and more refined online services. That's likely to be pretty much it. Is that enough to sell tens of millions of consoles and have any hope of getting a return on investment? Personally I'm not convinced.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Withnail said:
The thing about there being no technological advancement over PS3 is obviously stupid if you take it at face value but do I think there will be a lot of headscratching going on at both MS and Sony in trying to come up with a way of getting people to upgrade. What is the reason to buy a PS4 or Nextbox? 1080p graphics? Most people can't tell the difference, sales of COD make that pretty clear. 60fps? Ditto. 3D? Doesn't seem that popular to me.

The next generation will show relatively minor improvements to graphics and more refined online services. That's likely to be pretty much it. Is that enough to sell tens of millions of consoles and have any hope of getting a return on investment? Personally I'm not convinced.

While it's sure not to be a popular opinion on GAF, I fully agree.

Top Bottom