• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Chief Jack Tretton: How To Sell Vita, Navigate Clouds, And Debut The PS4

Curufinwe

bigtroyjon said:
EDD revenue is basically the 360, however the costs include many other projects. Nobody has any idea how profitable or not the 360 platform has been.

EDD has included billions in costs directly from the Xbox and Xbox 360 over the years, and when you look at the massive difference in operating income between Windows & Business on one hand, and EDD on the other, the analogy stands.

Vinci

Danish
It's like Bizarro GAF today. Yoshida speaks sense, a type of logic that many GAF members have taken issue with in the past - but now it's fine! Tretton comes off as a lunatic going against Carmack's comments that next-gen consoles could be 10x more powerful than the current gen - an opinion many seem to agree with and promote - and yet, Tretton is right.

Some of you people are confusing / confused as hell.

rpmurphy

I wonder what focus Sony will make for PS4 anyway. It's too early for cloud gaming or a new disc format, MS and Nintendo are both titans in motion control gaming, and now Nintendo's doing the controller streaming and HD gaming, and MS is also surely going to inprove HD gaming as well with high density discs. So 3D gaming? Hi-Deffier? Not a great position to be in, in my opinion.

Chalex

Neo Member
timetokill said:
Hilarious interview. Nintendo is for kids, while Sony is for the masses? The spread of ages and genders playing on Nintendo platforms is FAR broader than on Sony platforms.

Nowhere to go with tech? Bahahahaha.

I'd say that taken from a certain twisted Sony context everything he says is true.

Sure Mario is for everyone, but Nintendo systems typically havent had the broad range of games like you would find on a PlayStation looking back at previous consoles they don't really have an answer to games like GTA, Gran Turismo, God of War, Twisted Metal. There are more factors to demografics than age.

As far as nowhere to go with tech, what else is there to add to a console? Tech will always have incremental upgrades, but with a system that already has every multimedia function you could ask for (and some you didn't) where else is there to go? It's mostly just chest thumping saying anything that could be added past this point already has been (by Sony first), that there is no real new innovation in the forseeable future, only refinements.

RavenFox said:
Woah calm down dude.

Good interview and expected. We all know PS4 is lurking.

Sorry if I seemed wound up because thats not the case. However, there was nothing good about this interview. Its the same drivel we have heard a before with no real new insight or understanding.

Vinci said:
It's like Bizarro GAF today. Yoshida speaks sense, a type of logic that many GAF members have taken issue with in the past - but now it's fine! Tretton comes off as a lunatic going against Carmack's comments that next-gen consoles could be 10x more powerful than the current gen - an opinion many seem to agree with and promote - and yet, Tretton is right.

Some of you people are confusing / confused as hell.

The Yoshida interview was 1000x better than this PR speak.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If I'm Sony, I'm looking long and hard on how to make the Vita an integral part of the PS4, i.e. a pack in possibly.

Vinci

Danish
TheExecutive said:
The Yoshida interview was 1000x better than this PR speak.

Well yeah, he's reasonable, coherent, and knows what the hell he's talking about. I like Yoshida a lot actually.

rpmurphy said:
I wonder what focus Sony will make for PS4 anyway. It's too early for cloud gaming or a new disc format, MS and Nintendo are both titans in motion control gaming, and now Nintendo's doing the controller streaming and HD gaming, and MS is also surely going to inprove HD gaming as well with high density discs. So 3D gaming? Hi-Deffier? Not a great position to be in, in my opinion.

10-15 million peripherals is by no means a titan. I feel MS is much more confused about their position in the market than sony is...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
RavenFox said:
Woah calm down dude.

Good interview and expected. We all know PS4 is lurking.

How is this a good interview? Please, lay it out for me. All I see is PR speak, misinformation, outright lies, and a distorted view of reality.

paskowitz

duk said:
Typical CEO, very out of touch with reality

Actually he said exactly what he needed to say. Think of the person who reads this article. His words were clear, and painted the precise message. Today CEO might as well be CCO.

Haunted

Kobun Heat said:
Huh.

July 2008: PlayStation 3 is "hitting its stride".

February 2010: PlayStation 3 is just hitting its stride.

June 2011: PlayStation 3 is only just now hitting its stride.

Hitting it like a dead horse
vemzT.png

paskowitz said:
Actually he said exactly what he needed to say. Think of the person who reads this article. His words were clear, and painted the precise message. Today CEO might as well be CCO.

Yes, for forbes magazine its a great article. However, its crap for anyone who pays any attention to gaming and since this is a gaming forum- well, you get the jist.

Hex

Banned
RSTEIN said:
How is this a good interview? Please, lay it out for me. All I see is PR speak, misinformation, outright lies, and a distorted view of reality.

It is an interview with FORBES.
Are you expecting memes and witting warm fuzzies for the internets?
This is not Entertainment Weekly, this is not Rolling Stone this is Forbes.
This was more for shareholders than anyone else and it was a good interview and paints a strong outlook.

Haunted

RSTEIN said:
I'm not seeing the contradiction here?

xbhaskarx

I’ve always felt that the classic Nintendo franchise was a more casual, young audience, Microsoft was more the shooter audience, and we were always the masses.

Who could have known that the masses, contrary to their name, are the smallest group!

Sinoox

Banned
"And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have [the PS3]."

What? o_O

Sinoox said:
"And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have [the PS3]."

What? o_O

The only sense I can make out of that is that it is financially unfeasible for sony to consider a new console that is leaps and bounds beyond the PS3. So from a business viewpoint he may be correct.

Gravijah

Sinoox said:

What? o_O

Executive speak. Means nothing. More worthless words have never been spoken.

Well, until the next executive talks, that is.

Hex

Banned
Why is "And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have [the PS3]." such a dramatic mystery to some?
It has nothing to do with not adding more memory, or a better gpu or a better cpu.

Motion controller- check
Blu ray movies and gaming - check
Streaming multimedia - check
Robust online network - check
Full high definition gaming experience - check
Full 3D support- check
Integration with hand held gaming system - check
Web Browsing- check
Constantly growing list of online multimedia content delivery partners ala Netflix, ESPN3, MLB- check

I am sure there are others I am forgetting.
Again this is Forbes, and they want shareholders to feel like they have a stable framework in place and not that they are playing catch up.

rdrr gnr

Holy shit at the reaction in here. What do you expect a high-level business executive to say? Oh here is the PSVita, oh btw, PS4 announcement next year so hold onto your money. Give me a break. He is fully aware of PS4 development; they just want to continue being profitable with the PS3.

onQ123

Hex said:
Why is "And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have [the PS3]." such a dramatic mystery to some?
It has nothing to do with not adding more memory, or a better gpu or a better cpu.

Motion controller- check
Full 3D support- check
Web Browsing- check
Constantly growing list of online multimedia content delivery partners ala Netflix, ESPN3, MLB- check

Again this is Forbes, and they want shareholders to feel like they have a stable framework in place and not that they are playing catch up.

Cross Game Chat?

Hex

Banned
onQ123 said:
Cross Game Chat?

Ah yes, still hard as hell to find a handful of people on one server with a headset yet everyone chants the cross game chat mantra.
But yes, if for no other reason than the other guy has it they need it in there.

Well perhaps there is something to look forward to in the PS4 after all.

Serenity

So when did the Wii pass the ps2 in sales? Has it even ecliseped the ps1. The rage in this topic is hilarious. Tretton got the internet going nuts.

USC-fan

Banned
He is right.

Right now is a bad time to try to launch a ps4, ps3 is still at $300, needs to be at $150 or below, IMO.

With the huge changes with ati and nvidia gpus from 40nm to 28nm next years. It would be foolish to try and launch a console next year. 2013-2014 would make a lot more sense. By then 28 or 20 nm would be ready for prime time.

There will not be a new generation until one of the parties takes the plunge into a console that's truly a generation ahead - a 10x jump. It will avalanche from there, and I don't think the Wii U is the console that's going to set it off.

No new consoles past the Wii U until 2016.

Hyuga

Banned
MuseManMike said:
Holy shit at the reaction in here. What do you expect a high-level business executive to say? Oh here is the PSVita, oh btw, PS4 announcement next year so hold onto your money. Give me a break. He is fully aware of PS4 development; they just want to continue being profitable with the PS3.
It's always the same drama here on GAF.
People don't get it. He says all that stuff a typical "business executive" would say.
Problem: People here aren't "business executives". So they don't get it.

MuseManMike said:
This 1000x this.

How people still get surprised by the comments like Tretton makes is stunning.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hex said:
It is an interview with FORBES.
Are you expecting memes and witting warm fuzzies for the internets?
This is not Entertainment Weekly, this is not Rolling Stone this is Forbes.
This was more for shareholders than anyone else and it was a good interview and paints a strong outlook.

That makes it worse. Here's this guy puffing out his chest, claiming that the PS3 has been some sort of shining beacon while Nintendo and MS race to catch up. Meanwhile the company has lost market share, its industry dominance, technological leadership, and lost billions on the PS3. The stock is near an all time low (to be fair the earthquake obviously factors big into this).As a shareholder, I would be PISSED.

Afrikan

Why wouldn't some of you think Sony markets to the masses?

they have spent money (and took chances) on alot of different types of genres this gen with the PS3.

mr_nothin

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Wii for entry level gamers

a new meme is born
Well it is...
Even Nintendo stated this. Both my aunts have a freakin Wii and neither 1 of them have ever been into gaming. Hell, my grandma even tried out the Wii.

Entry level is the correct word...why do you think the Wii has been so successful? It taped into an audience that hasnt really paid any attention to gaming.

ZAK

Hex said:

Motion controller- check
Full 3D support- check
Web Browsing- check

That is arguably an even ballsier statement, then. Look at what he said... there is no possible advancement. I remember hearing from Sony that they were making things the consumer didn't even realize they wanted yet. Now they are basically saying, "we give up, there's nowhere to go from here."

Not that they even have everything. Motion controller, check? Is Kinect the same technology? If we're just checking boxes, Kinect is clearly a kind of thing that they don't have. And they even took some features out of the PS3, namely BC and Linux support, which makes it even more ridiculous to say there can't be advancements.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
ZAK said:
That is arguably an even ballsier statement, then. Look at what he said... there is no possible advancement. I remember hearing from Sony that they were making things the consumer didn't even realize they wanted yet. Now they are basically saying, "we give up, there's nowhere to go from here."

Not that they even have everything. Motion controller, check? Is Kinect the same technology? If we're just checking boxes, Kinect is clearly a kind of thing that they don't have. And they even took some features out of the PS3, namely BC and Linux support, which makes it even more ridiculous to say there can't be advancements.

If he doesn't think there are any advancements that could be made to the Playstation platform, namely PS4, then Sony will lose next generation. I somehow doubt Tretton actually believes that myself but we'll see.

RSTEIN said:
That makes it worse. Here's this guy puffing out his chest, claiming that the PS3 has been some sort of shining beacon while Nintendo and MS race to catch up. Meanwhile the company has lost market share, its industry dominance, technological leadership, and lost billions on the PS3. The stock is near an all time low (to be fair the earthquake obviously factors big into this).As a shareholder, I would be PISSED.

What do you expect him to say? It seems like you wouldn't be happy no matter what he said. He also never said MS and Ninty was in a race to catch up. Quotes like

I think more than ever, this generation of consoles has more product differentiation, and companies have staked out their own ground.

and

It’s a very healthy industry, there’s room for everybody. We’re going after a lot of the same things, but I think consumers get the product differentiation. They kind of gravitate to one brand or another, depending on what their tastes are.

Makes him seem to imply that this isn't a race at all and everybody has their own stake.

The lowest for SNE in the past ten years was actually $16.60 so it isn't true that it is at an all time low.

And things are looking up in terms of sales and expectations on all fronts for Sony, I doubt any reasonable shareholder would be in a fit of rage over past actions. It is active and I am sure those that are still around were planning on the long haul anyways.

Duderz

Banned
Jinfash said:
Tretton interviews are like throwbacks to out-of-touch Sony circa 2005/2006. I rarely find anything agreeable in his answers. More Yoshida, less Tretton please.

This. Out of all the console manufacturers, I like him the least.

Top Bottom