• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Chief Jack Tretton: How To Sell Vita, Navigate Clouds, And Debut The PS4

T-0800

RSTEIN said:
How is the PS3 a device for the masses when it's being outsold by its two competitors?

They added PSN to catch up with Microsoft. Then they added motion controls to catch Nintendo. They built Killzone to be a Halo killer. What one original thing has the PS3 brought to the table? What feature unique to Sony has MS and Nintendo tried to copy?

US = world?

Eyetoy.

mujun

Vic said:
"I’ve always felt that the classic Nintendo franchise was a more casual, young audience, Microsoft was more the shooter audience, and we were always the masses."

Wha

Yeah, this is funny :)

The masses buy a lot of shooters and the Wii is well ahead in the hardware total race.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
mujun said:
Yeah, this is funny :)

The masses buy a lot of shooters and the Wii is well ahead in the hardware total race.

When I think "casual, younger audience" I think masses. That's the thing. Tretton may be able to claim that the Playstation attracts more core gamers than any other console (even then, it would be between Sony and Microsoft which is too close to make that claim boldly), masses is definitely Nintendo's territory.

Shrinnan said:
When I think "casual, younger audience" I think masses. That's the thing. Tretton may be able to claim that the Playstation attracts more core gamers than any other console (even then, it would be between Sony and Microsoft which is too close to make that claim boldly), masses is definitely Nintendo's territory.

It is without question that the casuals are the largest target demographic but when tretton is talking about masses I think he means the term as an indiscriminate audience. He is saying that they have something for everyone, popular, casual, and niche.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm sure Sony wants to wait until they can develop a console that has a huge gap over the PS3 in terms of power but still be affordable. They may have the tech now but wanna wait until those parts are cheaper to mass produce.

I think I'm beginning to appreciate Sony's attitude more and more this generation.

Sony is becoming seemingly an independent ground-holder in the console race. They're not the industry leader by any means, but they seem to have found that nice little middle-ground. They've focused on their exclusive franchises with great emphasis (Uncharted, Ratchet, LittleBigPlanet, etc) while also catering to third parties with multi-platform releases of most, if not all, AAA titles. Additionally, they've built PSN into a very different entity than Xbox Live. PSN may not have the robust functionality of Microsoft's service, but it does its job fine enough. And this brings to mind Sony's attitude towards independent developers and digital distribution content like Flower, The Journey, Nobi Nobi Boy, Wizardry, Papo & Yo, etc. They're clearly open to new game ideas and are able to paint the system with a broader brush. It really is a gamer's console when you look at it.

Move may sink or swim in the long run, but it's merely an additional accessory should you choose to use it.

I don't know where else I'm going with this, other than to say I bought my third PS3 (sold last two for rent money years ago...) in January, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a great multimedia device, and I can play nearly every game that interests me on it.

disappeared said:
I think I'm beginning to appreciate Sony's attitude more and more this generation.

Sony is becoming seemingly an independent ground-holder in the console race. They're not the industry leader by any means, but they seem to have found that nice little middle-ground. They've focused on their exclusive franchises with great emphasis (Uncharted, Ratchet, LittleBigPlanet, etc) while also catering to third parties with multi-platform releases of most, if not all, AAA titles. Additionally, they've built PSN into a very different entity than Xbox Live. PSN may not have the robust functionality of Microsoft's service, but it does its job fine enough. And this brings to mind Sony's attitude towards independent developers and digital distribution content like Flower, The Journey, Nobi Nobi Boy, Wizardry, Papo & Yo, etc. They're clearly open to new game ideas and are able to paint the system with a broader brush. It really is a gamer's console when you look at it.

Move may sink or swim in the long run, but it's merely an additional accessory should you choose to use it.

I don't know where else I'm going with this, other than to say I bought my third PS3 (sold last two for rent money years ago...) in January, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a great multimedia device, and I can play nearly every game that interests me on it.
Being soundly beaten by the Wii and having a strong competitor in Microsoft has given them a lot to think about. But from the sound of Tretton's and Stringer's comments they are still displaying a high amount of arrogance... something which has put me off Sony for a long time.

mollipen

Napoleonthechimp said:
Being soundly beaten by the Wii and having a strong competitor in Microsoft has given them a lot to think about. But from the sound of Tretton's and Stringer's comments they are still displaying a high amount of arrogance... something which has put me off Sony for a long time.

I'll take Sony's arrogance over Nintendo's arrogance any day. At least Sony brings games over from Japan.

kuroshiki

Napoleonthechimp said:

I see PR stuff, but I wouldn't call this interview 'arrogance'. Selling outdated HW for $250 and tell customers to 'deal with it', is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Withnail said:
The thing about there being no technological advancement over PS3 is obviously stupid if you take it at face value but do I think there will be a lot of headscratching going on at both MS and Sony in trying to come up with a way of getting people to upgrade. What is the reason to buy a PS4 or Nextbox? 1080p graphics? Most people can't tell the difference, sales of COD make that pretty clear. 60fps? Ditto. 3D? Doesn't seem that popular to me.

The next generation will show relatively minor improvements to graphics and more refined online services. That's likely to be pretty much it. Is that enough to sell tens of millions of consoles and have any hope of getting a return on investment? Personally I'm not convinced.

most people can't tell 1080p? Thats because they aren't being given the choice. TVs are getting bigger - average screen size was something like 21" in CRT/SNES days. Now its more like 42". And show people something running in 1080p/60 with great textures/lighting/modelling and they'll notice the difference over their 640p current gen stuff

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Napoleonthechimp said:

what arrogance? You give an interview to Forbes, you don't sit there saying 'we were a bit shit this time around, but we'll hopefully be better next time'. You have to give a good view of your business, pretend you know what you're doing etc.

Haunted

Huh.

July 2008: PlayStation 3 is "hitting its stride".

February 2010: PlayStation 3 is just hitting its stride.

June 2011: PlayStation 3 is only just now hitting its stride.

Hitting it like a dead horse
obligatory

tbNho.jpg

Tank

Neo Member
On the topic of the next-gen consoles, why is everybody saying E3 2013 for the PS4/720?

What are the odds that they will be announced at different times? I mean, the 360 wasn't announced at E3 if I remember correctly.

On the topic of the next-gen consoles, why is everybody saying E3 2013 for the PS4/720?

What are the odds that they will be announced at different times? I mean, the 360 wasn't announced at E3 if I remember correctly.

Nobody says they will be announced at E3, everybody says they will be shown at E3 2013.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why the necro bump? That is a cool picture, but i still wonder why the bump :)

EDIT: I guess that someone searched for something to post in the Yoshida thread, but then accidentally posted in the wrong thread :p =)

Ranger X

Is this guy for real? He really takes people as technology ignorant it seems. This comment is laughable and quite insulting!

PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride. And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have.

seriously. LOL

Mario007

Is this guy for real? He really takes people as technology ignorant it seems. This comment is laughable and quite insulting!

seriously. LOL

What he means by it is that the things that they can offer aren't at consumer-friendly level yet.

Holy shit did tretton really just try to call out nintendo for jumping into 2006 when they made a direct clone of the wii that wasnt near as successful. tretton is delusional at many points in this interview. him and reggie should be shot to the moon

have to agree here, Tretton and Reggie are helping Mattick out an awful lot when it comes to being the best in NA.

David Ewalt: The three console makers had very different keynotes at this year’s E3. Nintendo showed off their next console, Microsoft was all about the Kinect peripheral, and Sony focused on the Vita handheld, due for release later this year. What do you make of such different strategies?

Wait the e3 conference focused on vita? :/

Top Bottom