• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classic Off To Sluggish Sales Start In Japan

EssKayZee

From Comicbook.com:

A new report from Media Create indicates that the system only managed to sell 120,000 units during its first week of release. While that’s not a “bomb” by any means, it comes up way short behind the 369,000 SNES Classic units that sold within its first four days of release, based on [the] numbers from Famitsu.

Details on link.

leo-j

They need to add PSone games to PSnow......

And better ps4 games, them 50 plus games they just added are not known and mostly indie with bad to okay reviews.

The value of getting a psone with games that aged really badly isn’t good imo.

Impotaku

The fact that not once did it ever sell out on amazon japan even when preorders went live should tell you how shit this thing is. Even the marketplace sellers haven't been able to hike the price of that turd up.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Sorry Sony, people don’t have the same nostalgia for your products as they do Nintendo games. Lesson learned!

Amazon had a deal yesterday to buy one at $75 and also receive a $25 Amazon gift card. At effectively $50, I bit and bought one. Free same day delivery so after I got it, I opened it up to see the case and then put it away waiting for a retroarch port. I figured they might patch the exploit soon and that you really couldn't go wrong for $50. It does seem negative word of mouth/reviews has this DOA, even in Japan.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sadly this will just reinforce to Sony that people don’t want to play the classic games... When in reality the truth is that people just don’t want to play a really shitty cheap system.

Hopefully they knuckle down and provide the older games on the PS5. No matter what side of the fanboy war you sit, you have to agree that MS pushing backwards compatibility like this is a brilliant thing that everybody wins with.

Impotaku

What killed it was the abysmal game lineup & the fact there are zero filters to help it look decent via hdmi even scanlines would have helped. It's a huge disappointment as i loved the PS1 especially as i imported back in the day so i got to play all the weird and wonderful quirky Japanese games which i loved it for which is why i still have my tiny original & disks. Sony saw what Nintendo had done & then decided to put in the bare minimum effort and hope to rake in that nostalgia cash while totally failing to see why Nintendos attempts were successful.

Elfstar

That actually look like a pretty decent sales figure to me overall, it just sold less than the Nintendo ones.

I think some people are a bit reaching on this one just to fuel console wars.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
I think it’s a lesson learned for Sony that they’d be better off trying to create their own new products and innovate from within rather than copy their competitors offerings. Like it’s embarrassing and it deserves to sell poorly.

Good idea - tragi comically bad execution.

All they need was to deliver PS1 emulation machine that comes with bunch of games but also connects to PSN to access out libraries of PS1 classics.

RAIDEN1

I'll be surprised if this even matches what the Saturn sales were outside of Japan... : D

Last edited:

PSFan

Well, it's far easier to hack then the Nintendo ones. Just stick a flash drive with the games you want in the USB slot and start playing. Maybe it will sell better when word of this gets around.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't think it was a big hit anyway, but it certainly doesn't help that the TV isn't really the center of the Japanese household, nor has it been for a decade.

BibiMaghoo

Sorry Sony, people don’t have the same nostalgia for your products as they do Nintendo games. Lesson learned!

I feel like the important games it includes never stopped being available to people that wanted to play them on relatively modern systems, or they have been remade for them. Library selection is an issue here for sure.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well, it's far easier to hack then the Nintendo ones. Just stick a flash drive with the games you want in the USB slot and start playing. Maybe it will sell better when word of this gets around.
What? You can just stick isos on a flash drive and start playing? Are you sure you don’t have to download some hack program as well?

I haven’t been paying attention to the state of the PS hacking lately as I thought I’d give it some time, but this is crazy if true and I know what I will be doing today.

Sounds too good to be true...

What? You can just stick isos on a flash drive and start playing? Are you sure you don’t have to download some hack program as well?

I haven’t been paying attention to the state of the PS hacking lately as I thought I’d give it some time, but this is crazy if true and I know what I will be doing today.

Sounds too good to be true...

You have to use bleemsync for now.

I'm waiting for a retroarch port. It's inevitable and will likely run better and open it up to other systems. There's actually reports of it already being ported.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You have to use bleemsync for now.

I'm waiting for a retroarch port. It's inevitable and will likely run better and open it up to other systems. There's actually reports of it already being ported.
Ah, that’s pretty cool but is a tad more involved than what that poster was implying. I thought so.

I’ve deep-dived into emulation for decades and it is never as easy as that poster made out.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The fact that not once did it ever sell out on amazon japan even when preorders went live should tell you how shit this thing is. Even the marketplace sellers haven't been able to hike the price of that turd up.
The Japanese version also has better games than than what we get.

dolabla

Hopefully it drops to dirt cheap really soon. That's the only way I'll buy one. Such a shame they completely screwed this thing up.

Hopefully it drops to dirt cheap really soon. That's the only way I'll buy one. Such a shame they completely screwed this thing up.

It's back to $75 on Amazon right now. Sadly the deal they had yesterday where they threw in a $25 gift card is no more.

dolabla

It's back to $75 on Amazon right now. Sadly the deal they had yesterday where they threw in a $25 gift card is no more.

Yeah, I just saw that. Still way too high for what I'll pay. Hoping it gets the PS Vita TV treatment and drops to $20. That's what I'll pay :)

Don't worry. Once this gets hacked and is easy as shit to do so, the PS classic will sell just like the original Playstation with the mod chips and cd burns. They're just replicating the original success.

I have more nostalgia for PS1 then anything else.

It’s not that people don’t have nostalgia (I know plenty of people that’s first console was PS1 and therefore have tons of nostalgia for it), it’s that the product they put out is mediocre and not worth the money. It could have been great but there wasn’t enough effort put in. Like where the fuck is Gran Turismo 1/2?!?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I have more nostalgia for PS1 then anything else.

It’s not that people don’t have nostalgia (I know plenty of people that’s first console was PS1 and therefore have tons of nostalgia for it), it’s that the product they put out is mediocre and not worth the money. It could have been great but there wasn’t enough effort put in. Like where the fuck is Gran Turismo 1/2?!?
Well sure, the game selection can be questioned in any collection of “classics”. There’s no way the games themselves, or the choice of games, was the deciding factor in the sales failure of the PS1 classic. In fact, I’d venture to guess most people don’t pay nearly that much attention to what they’re buying — I believe the average consumer either thinks “Oh cool, I loved that console!” Or it just doesn’t register with them.

The question of the quality of the emulation is also a non-issue, the average purchaser has no fucking idea what good emulation even means.

underberg

That actually look like a pretty decent sales figure to me overall, it just sold less than the Nintendo ones.

I think some people are a bit reaching on this one just to fuel console wars.

It's not. It sold way below the Nintendo ones and those were even sold-out.

But you can see it didn't sell well looking at huge amount of stocks in both physical and online stores. Retailers are waiting to see if there's demand under holidays but someone is already discounting the thing (which is not a good signal just before Christmas).

I don't think it was a big hit anyway, but it certainly doesn't help that the TV isn't really the center of the Japanese household, nor has it been for a decade.

NES and SNES Mini sold both way above 1 million in Japan.

I feel like the important games it includes never stopped being available to people that wanted to play them on relatively modern systems, or they have been remade for them. Library selection is an issue here for sure.

This is true for NES and SNES Mini too. Many of those games were ported to more recent hardware or made available on Virtual Console.

Game adoption was more spread out on PS1. On SNES basically everyone had a Mario game, Mario Kart, Zelda and Donkey Kong Country. On PS1 sales were more dispersed.

Also, all SNES Mini games are still widely enjoyable nowadays. The same can't be said for PS1. I've recently played GT and it is not funny. I enjoyed for a few minutes because of nostalgia but it is really not something I would play for hours. Outside story-driven games like jRPGs and MGS, PS1 games haven't aged that well. SNES games are still a blast to play.

Kagey K

Banned
That’s about 120k more then they deserved to sell. The lack of care or love that went into this product is staggering.

I can’t believe they would release it in the state it’s in as an official product.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PS1 games don’t age nearly as well as NES or SNES games.
Now THIS just isn't true. Not even close. There are loads of amazing games on PS1 that have aged beautifully and look better than anything on Super NES. There are hundreds of 2D games on the system, at the very least.

The Classic failed because it's poorly made. A bad, poorly configured emulator that runs incorrectly with ugly scaling and a bunch of PAL games.

Outside story-driven games like jRPGs and MGS, PS1 games haven't aged that well. SNES games are still a blast to play.
I just can't agree.

PS1 has a wide selection of games that hold up beautifully today. 60fps, gorgeous pixel art or solid 3D and excellent level/game design. Stuff like Gradius Gaiden, Symphony of the Night, Alundra, Rayman, Tomba, Klonoa, Powerslave, Mega Man X4, Mega Man 8, Einhander, R-Type Delta, DoDonPachi, Soukyuugurentai, Castlevania Chronicles, is Internal Section, Mr. Driller G and loads more. Every single one of these games is 60fps (OK, Powerslave is unstable) and still beautiful.

What has aged are some of the 'big' titles from that era. Stuff like Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal and Tomb Raider don't hold up nearly as well but there's a LOT more to the PS1 than those games.

Last edited:

underberg

I just can't agree.

PS1 has a wide selection of games that hold up beautifully today. 60fps, gorgeous pixel art or solid 3D and excellent level/game design. Stuff like Gradius Gaiden, Symphony of the Night, Alundra, Rayman, Tomba, Klonoa, Powerslave, Mega Man X4, Mega Man 8, Einhander, R-Type Delta, DoDonPachi, Soukyuugurentai, Castlevania Chronicles, is Internal Section, Mr. Driller G and loads more. Every single one of these games is 60fps (OK, Powerslave is unstable) and still beautiful.

What has aged are some of the 'big' titles from that era. Stuff like Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal and Tomb Raider don't hold up nearly as well but there's a LOT more to the PS1 than those games.

Outside of Rayman (which is included in PS1 Classic), all of those games weren't really that popular back then (they weren't among the most popular/best-selling games on the platform). That is the problem.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Engage PS1 emulation on the PS4 and stop dicking everyone over, what are we at now triple dipping with no performance gains?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Outside of Rayman (which is included in PS1 Classic), all of those games weren't really that popular back then (they weren't among the most popular/best-selling games on the platform). That is the problem.

I think that it is incorrect, but yes they left out many amazing pivotal games because... PSOne just had way too many.

My problem is more with the quality of emulation and the overall price : alle proposition. There is a place for PSOne titles, it is called PSN Store!

PS1 games and PS2 game’s on PS4 and PS5, next step!!!!

norinrad

Not surprising, enough with the nonsense already. Either redo good games from the past from the ground up like they did with Shadow of the Colossus or just stop with the misery.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not really about that. I'm saying these games are gorgeous classics that hold up today.

People were blinded by 3D at the time so the more popular stuff has aged poorly.

I'm not talking about the PS Classic - I'm responding to the notion that PS1 games don't hold up. Many of them hold up extremely well and there are a lot of very good games.

Helios

PS1 games don’t age nearly as well as NES or SNES games.
I'll actually be interested to see this theory when N64 will be released. I imagine that there will be enough Nintendo games that the system will still sell but most N64 games didn't age well in my opinion.

Mr Hyde

They should´ve put PS One Classics as a category on PS4 instead of wasting time and resources with this cheap knock off.

El_Belmondo

Truth to be told, the only mini-consoles that deserves failing more than this are the Sega At-Games releases.

Sony half-assed this in a really stupid manner, showing no respect for their Legacy whatsoever. Bad selection of games, wrong controller decisión, barebones emulation with no rendering or filtering options, poor performance. It’s ridiculous.

I'll actually be interested to see this theory when N64 will be released. I imagine that there will be enough Nintendo games that the system will still sell but most N64 games didn't age well in my opinion.

To be honest, PlayStation games have aged worse due to wobbly polygons and textures. Add to that the fact that, while the framerate of the N64 was low, Nintendo mostly designed their games around a targeted, realistic framerate. That's why Mario 64 is still a blast to play despite being a 20 fps game.

I just hope they don't make the same mistake Sony did adding PAL games. I'll gladly play in english if i can avoid playing at 17 fps

underberg

I'm not talking about the PS Classic - I'm responding to the notion that PS1 games don't hold up. Many of them hold up extremely well and there are a lot of very good games.

My point is that the most popular PS1 games back then are less enjoyable nowadays (Gran Turismo, Tekken, Tomb Raider) unlike the most popular SNES games.

Top Bottom