• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classics are starting to appear on the PSN backend

ReBurn

Gold Member
That’s what killed ps2 digital games on ps4. If I remember correctly they said it took too much effort
I thought charging us again for games we already own and nobody buying them because of it is what killed ps2 digital games on ps4. Definitely took a play from the Nintendo playbook for that one.

gotta cop that I bought the original ps2 GTA trilogy on ps4 though because I just wanted them

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I played an obscene amount of Tekken 2 in my teens. I memorized all the moves of all the characters. Yoshimitsu were my all time favorite. Ahh, the memories.
I just picked up a complete copy of Tekken 2 at the thrift store for $1.99 two days ago. I haven't played it yet, as I mainly play with my cousin when he comes over, but I'm excited to throw it on my crt with my ps2.

Last edited:
sIUqSXFhTJWlDhFEpCQV93rH.png
This one is for those who still wonder if real time in game graphics ever caught on to "CGI" offline rendering from the 90s... obviously no!!!

Also, I can't wait to see what they look like, if and only if, not streamed!

Agent X

That’s what killed ps2 digital games on ps4. If I remember correctly they said it took too much effort

I thought charging us again for games we already own and nobody buying them because of it is what killed ps2 digital games on ps4.

Both of these were factors that tanked Sony's earlier push for PS2 games on PS4.

Trophies are absolutely not the reason they stopped putting ps2 games on ps4.

It absolutely was the reason why many publishers never bothered to bring over their PS2 games to begin with. Companies like Electronic Arts and Ubisoft totally gave Sony the cold shoulder, while simultaneously approving multiple Xbox and Xbox 360 games for Xbox One. That's because Sony's trophy requirements were an added burden that they didn't want to deal with. Too much work for too little payoff.

ReBurn ReBurn is correct from the perspective of the consumers. You couldn't carry over the "PS2 games for PS3", which was already a slap in the face for loyal customers...and then on top of that, the same games on PS4 were usually priced considerably higher than their counterparts on PS3. This irked a lot of people, who avoided buying PS2 games on PS4 purely out of principle.

93xfan

Banned
please add bloody roar with online play

And Bushido Blade 1 & 2
I loved Bushido blade!!
I thought charging us again for games we already own and nobody buying them because of it is what killed ps2 digital games on ps4. Definitely took a play from the Nintendo playbook for that one.

gotta cop that I bought the original ps2 GTA trilogy on ps4 though because I just wanted them
I’d argue it was far worse than Nintendo.

They’re charged full price for games we owned just a generation prior. Greedy as can be

Kokoloko85

Looking forward to see the graphical improvements Jim Ryan hinted at in his recent interview with Famitsu.
Some PSP games are gems (see Ridge Racers) and I would love to see them playable on a big screen not looking awful.
Since we're just a little over a month from the asian launch I think we'll get many new infos in the coming weeks.

Where did he mention graphical improvements?

93xfan

Banned
yeah, nintendo pretty much just re-released all their games from last gen at full price again.
Sure, but at least most of those have real upgrades.

I’m referring to their handling of VC from the Wii to WiiU. Definitely not defending their recent practices

Gamerguy84

Where did he mention graphical improvements?

I looked on Famitsu and it was in Japanese. Found this Dualshockers translation and it doesn't say a whole lot, just that there will be some improvements like frame rate.

I'm very interested if anyone can add anything further on the matter. I'm personally not expecting much. They definitely didn't rewrite anything for this. FR increase would be pretty cool though.

PlayStation revealed on March 29 its new PS Plus subscription program, which was nicknamed Spartacus through rumors, and now that the cat is out of the bag, Jim Ryan gave several interviews, where he most notably talked about frame rate and additional features for PS1, PS2, and PSP games running on PS4 and PS5.

However, each game will support different additional features and improvements.

Jim Ryan: “We’ll detail all that in the future, but I’ve heard from those who actually played and tried it out that the games look very nice on PS4 and PS5. But the additional features supported will be different for each game.”

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/it-seems-...premium-tier-classic-games-have-leaked-on-psn

Granted, there are only three such titles to be found at present, all from publisher Bandai Namco - Tekken 2 and Mr. Driller for PlayStation 1, and Ridge Racer for PSP - but it does suggests the floodgates are slowly starting to open as publishers move to get their classic titles in order ready for the new PlayStation Plus launch.

Data for the all-time PS1 classic Worms Armageddon, as well as its follow-up Worms World Party, have also now both been spotted (thanks, Gematsu).

Unsubscribe if old.....

PS+ Premium doesn't seem that compelling compared to Xbox Game Pass which is getting Day 1 triple A games, and all Activision Blizzard games next year.

Leyasu

Banned
Aaaw yeah!
Tekken 2 was one of the first demos i booted up on the demo1 disc on the PS1!

The intro song is still awesome!

I got my PS1 with that game and few others. Loved it. Blew me away.

Can't say that I would be excited to play it now though.

Last edited:
Without proper CRT filters this games are going to look damn ugly on modern screens. Hard to get excited about them knowing that Sony will likely botch it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom