• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation confirmed to not attend E3 2020

molasar

Banned
Sony is so ahead of its time. They should also let their employees telecommuting if it is effective.

Anyways, E3 itself is archaic nowadays. You do not need it at all because gaming media likes pearls thrown in front of them. No matter what they will cover it. You just need to pace it right the way no over competitor intervenes. Just provide something (e.g. exclusive first party new IP) that will get gamers hot and bothered at each internet live broadcast , and they are yours.

Do not bother with non-exclusive stuff besides confirmation that it is coming to your platform as well.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I honestly don't care. All i care for is to see new games and to a much lesser extend to hear official details about the new hardware and its features . Everything else is just noise.

If Sony,MS and Nintendo they all decide to never attend E3 again and instead do their own shows that's fine by me.

Tht shit reminds me of Forza, halo and Gears news every E3 from Microsoft. Thy showed recore and sea of thieves like three years in a year 😭😭😭I use to be like "are you serious" talk about hypocrisy. Then when Sony would show tons of shit ppl would then say "oh but thts years off" 😂😂
Hopefully the 2 year break will allow them to show off stuff people will actually be playing within the year......and more diverse titles
No more of these...give me a socom/twisted metal....no more third person action adventure titles

mzuKUsd.jpg

mortal

Gold Member
Hopefully the 2 year break will allow them to show off stuff people will actually be playing within the year......and more diverse titles
No more of these...give me a socom/twisted metal....no more third person action adventure titles

mzuKUsd.jpg
What a stupid, disingenuous image.
The Last Guardian is the same as Uncharted
The Order 1886 is the same as Death Stranding
No Bloodborne...
No GT Sport
No Dreams

Last edited:

Oddspeak

It's not the end of the world. Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show will still be before PS5's launch. And if they want, they can still bring back PlayStation Experience afterward to talk about post-launch stuff. Other press conference opportunities don't just suddenly disappear with E3.

That being said, I hope they don't ditch conferences entirely. I like that format. When they're good, they're really memorable. If they want to ditch the conference format, then they need to overhaul State of Play, because they're delivered so flaccidly.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

mzuKUsd.jpg
How in the fuck The Last Guardian similar to those games? The logic any game with trees play the same!? Then why not include Sekiro there too because that game has trees as well.

People can be this blind....can they!?

molly14

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about E3 (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at CES where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at E3, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the E3 public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and return to E3 for the PS5 reveal or you can kiss your business goodbye.
https://images.app.goo.gl/8sJFdfK5zq3qoaA9A

I’m sorry to be a pain but I’m gonna need something to back up that “PS3 had much better late life support” statement.

Also yeah if we’re talking first party games 2019 is one of the more underwhelming years for the PS4, but Days Gone and Death Stranding are huge AAA new IPs that were well received by the fans. Sony’s been going hard creating new ips with big budgets, while everybody else is making mostly sequels, and if they’re making a new ip nowadays its mobile phone compatible multiplayer garbage. Not to mention 2020 looks like some serious flames for PS4 first party wise, shits on PS3’s 2013 big time

I suppose it's down to personal preference, but 2013 for the PS3 had Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Puppeteer, Ascension and the original The Last of Us. That's much better than 2019 for the PS4 and I personally prefer that to 2020 as well.

How in the fuck The Last Guardian similar to those games? The logic any game with trees play the same!? Then why not include Sekiro there too because that game has trees as well.

People can be this blind....can they!?
I didn't make the image but Your missing the point...third person action adventure games
Has pretty much been the ps4 this gen now as fantastic as they are I would love some more variety......I would of easily parted ways with the god of war/uncharted sequels for a proper grant turismo or a game like socom

Predator hunting grounds will hopefully fill that itch but you can't honestly tell me the ps4 doesn't have a diversity problem when it comes to their 1st party games (sekiro is third party btw)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda expect a big PS5 blow-out midsummer now. They'll probably trickle PS5 information between now and then, but I'd expect them to focus heavily on this year's big PS4 releases.

Basically if they do a US-based PS5 showcase event late July, early August, they'll have all the attention to themselves and can follow-up with public showings at GamesCom and TGS to cover the rest of the continental territories. As per usual whether they announce pricing is dependant upon whether MS decide to announce at E3. Which truthfully, I'm not certain they will.

Running this playbook puts MS in a difficult spot because running unopposed at E3 is a double-edged sword. Yes. They'll have the stage to themselves, but with PS5 a hanging question it will undercut the impact. It also means that they won't have much time to mount a riposte to whatever Sony is announcing because by then the actual launch window will be real close.

GermanZepp

Average Joes know nothing about e3, the gaming/tech journalist are the ones to echoes the news into the mainstream. Maybe Sony wants to speak directly to consumers in regional events across the globe and thru the web.

Danjin44

I didn't make the image but Your missing the point...third person action adventure games
Has pretty much been the ps4 this gen now as fantastic as they are I would love some more variety......I would of easily parted ways with the god of war/uncharted sequels for a proper grant turismo or a game like socom

Predator hunting grounds will hopefully fill that itch but you can't honestly tell me the ps4 doesn't have a diversity problem when it comes to their 1st party games (sekiro is third party btw)
You do know 90% of Japanese games are in third person but it doesn't mean they all play the same. Just because both Last of Us and God of War in third person it doesn't mean they play the same. Does God hand play like Uncharted or Last of Us or God of War? Thats such a shallow way looking at games.

joe_zazen

You do know 90% of Japanese games are in third person but it doesn't mean they all play the same. Just because both Last of Us and God of War in third person it doesn't mean they play the same. Does God hand play like Uncharted or Last of Us or God of War? Thats such a shallow way looking at games.

if you look at all of their heavily advertised first party aaa non-sport titles post ps3, you get 3rd person serious rpg lite action games, written by Americans for americans. The feel and aesthetic are very samey

and it isnt a surprise. How many ratchet or sly or pupeteer or kart racer or smash clone games would they need to equal the sales of one uncharted or GoW or last of us? Sony console owners (and most critics) love a certain kind of game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

if you look at all of their heavily advertised first party aaa non-sport titles post ps3, you get 3rd person serious rpg lite action games, written by Americans for americans. The feel and aesthetic are very samey

and it isnt a surprise. How many ratchet or sly or pupeteer or kart racer or smash clone games would they need to equal the sales of one uncharted or GoW or last of us? Sony console owners (and most critics) love a certain kind of game.
Well yeah, 90% western games have hyper realistic visuals, its not just Sony, this is the case with most AAA western games. This why I wan to see Sony bring back their first party Japanese games.

Dlacy13g

This thinking was debunked last year when Sony said fuck E3.

Was it though? PS4 already was well established as the leader for the generation...skipping last E3 would have little impact as the momentum was already there for PS4 to last the entire generation.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Here we go. Sony always starts acting douchey when they dominate. Just show up and sell your shit it’s not hard.
It is not about Sony really they will be fine and sell a 100 million consoles if they go or not. It is as you say Sony being douchey. The smaller developers depend on the spotlight of E3 to bring attention to their games. Without Sony there is no attention on E3 and those companies suffer. To kill the biggest industry event that helps the little guy is a shithead move to save a few bucks to increase yearly bonus. It's a shame there is always a few suprising small games that get lots of attention and do well because of that positive buzz from many media outlets who will now just skip it because it is a waste without Sony.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Was it though? PS4 already was well established as the leader for the generation...skipping last E3 would have little impact as the momentum was already there for PS4 to last the entire generation.

Sony mindshare and market share is solidified. Missing E3 affects them in no way especially when thy have their own presentations.

The Alien

Banned
Kinda disappointed. I always enjoyed E3 especially when all parties were there.

I know things are changing, etc., but still cant help but think that especially this year they should be there. If I am launching a console, I'd have my own event AND an E3 precesnse.

Zannegan

It might make good business sense, but it's a pretty boring decision.

I mean, their last E3 show was awful, but I put that down to having no new software to show.

Oh well, guess I'll enjoy what's left of E3 while it lasts. May it last a good long while.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I told myself this year was the year I try to attend E3, and this news changes nothing for me. Next gen games and consoles will be announced and shown, and I want to be on the show floor playing them.

Like I said last year, E3 is always my favorite time of the year and if Sony decides they don’t want to show up, that’s their loss. This E3 could be something special just because it’s on the cusp of a next gen launch. They are always the most exciting ones.

Klayzer

I told myself this year was the year I try to attend E3, and this news changes nothing for me. Next gen games and consoles will be announced and shown, and I want to be on the show floor playing them.

Like I said last year, E3 is always my favorite time of the year and if Sony decides they don’t want to show up, that’s their loss. This E3 could be something special just because it’s on the cusp of a next gen launch. They are always the most exciting ones.
I'm with you, others might disagree, but I think it's a mistake not to debut the PS5 at E3.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I had no reason to buy a ps4 because I hated the ps3 soo much, but after seeing Sony's event I. Feburary in 2013 and again at E3, I just had to pick it up. I dont see why they dont do both again.

Kagey K

Banned
I had no reason to buy a ps4 because I hated the ps3 soo much, but after seeing Sony's event I. Feburary in 2013 and again at E3, I just had to pick it up. I dont see why they dont do both again.
I liked how last gen they both got most of the spec talk out of the way before E3 so that E3 could be more about the games we’d see on them.

I had hoped for a repeat of that this gen.

newtonfb

Wow...the sony fanboys defending not attending is surprising actually. Hell at this point if Microsoft does announce a more powerful Xbox by by 3TFs theyll come up with something to defend it again. The facts are Microsoft is stepping up their game...(no pun intended). Back in 2013 when all the talk was "Sony is talking to the gamers", well now Microsoft is and people are still defending Sony. Any company who doesn't attend E3 is an FU, especially the size of Sony , its a celebration for the fans and to show off new things.

Heinrich

Banned
, its a celebration for the fans and to show off new things.

I agree, but what if Sony doesn’t have to show anything, like last year? Lol
I think Sony is in deep trouble behind the scenes. It doesn’t make any sense to not be there unless you don’t have anything to show.

newtonfb

I think Sony is in deep trouble behind the scenes. It doesn’t make any sense to not be there unless you don’t have anything to show.

Theyll have a little show in a month or so to show off the PS5, like they did with the PS4. Journalist and bloggers will be there. It will be 1/8 of the price to put on since they dont have alot of cash to spend....since their really only profitable divisions is Playstation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You still man up and show up.

It's like a car show.

Every car show I've been to every maker shows the latest versions..... ok, maybe lambourghini won't show up, but all the popular brands people buy. Even if it's the same Honda Civic but with a new year stamped to the sign, it's still there.

It's not like car makers only bring cars for the exact year they remodel it (every 5 year years).

Last edited:

GenericUser

Why should sony share the attention with other companies at E3, when it's clear they can hold their own conferences whenever they want and get all the attention and mindshare they could desire? Events like the E3 don't make sense for the biggest fishes in the tank. You'll never see rockstar at E3 for example.

Now Microsoft is the uncool company that does not yet understand that big events like E3 are a thing of the past when it comes to showing off your newest console.

Heinrich

Banned
Why should sony share the attention with other companies at E3, when it's clear they can hold their own conferences whenever they want and get all the attention and mindshare they could desire? Events like the E3 don't make sense for the biggest fishes in the tank. You'll never see rockstar at E3 for example.

Now Microsoft is the uncool company that does not yet understand that big events like E3 are a thing of the past when it comes to showing off your newest console.

i think we should nominate this guy for the mental gymnastics award this year. Great spin. I can’t even tell if this is a joke post or if he is bringt serious.

Danjin44

I honestly don't care. All i care for is to see new games and to a much lesser extend to hear official details about the new hardware and its features . Everything else is just noise.

If Sony,MS and Nintendo they all decide to never attend E3 again and instead do their own shows that's fine by me.
This, the exciting part is not the show itself but the announcements, so I don't care where they have to do it, I just want news on my favourite games.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bleh, so we get a snooze inducing State of Play instead. What a drag, it's like Sony doesn't even give a shit anymore.
Not surprising I guess, arrogant Sony is back.

Why spend money doing E3 when you can have After Effects announce your shit?

Heinrich

Banned
Bleh, so we get a snooze inducing State of Play instead. What a drag, it's like Sony doesn't even give a shit anymore.
Not surprising I guess, arrogant Sony is back.

yup. Really reminds me of Nokia somehow. They have been dominating back then and have been arrogant af and look where they are now!
Same with Sony, arrogant af and also very old fashioned with their console, not like Microsoft with gamepass etc very forward thinking

nikolino840

Looks like all eyes on MS again.

Whereas traditionally Sony and MS would share the love for promoting indies and third party games, looks like MS will carry the load again.

"We do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue"

At E3, you promote whatever you want for about 1.5 - 2 hours. At a company sponsored event, you promote whatever you want for 1.5 - 2 hours.

Am I missing something here? So what's the difference aside from Sony wanting to save money by hosting an event in their own building like Sony Hall?
Primadonna

Top Bottom