• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience 2016: Panel Lineup, 100+ Playable Games

What are the chances on some news involving Death Stranding?

CIMG4502.jpg

Ted

Are the panels going to be streamed/archived?

Only really interested in this:

2:00pm: Accessibility: Making Games for All Gamers
Accessibility features help empower all gamers—not just those with disabilities—and we want to set an industry standard of inclusion. We’re bringing together some of the top minds from the accessibility community, PlayStation and Naughty Dog to discuss best practices for game developers and to share powerful stories about the broader impact of accessibility features in games.

Accessibility options in games are a joke right now and I hope the inclusion of a panel here at the PSX might mean more people in the industry and gamers themselves take it a little more seriously or at least are a little more empathetic.

I do get a little chuckle that even here they sort of have to sell it to attendees as "don't worry guys, we're not just doing this for the cripples, this will benefit you all!" but hey if it gets folks to listen, I ain't complaining.

Unfortunately I suspect it will be the panel with the lowest attendance by far but more power to Sony for at least trying.

Just as an example to anyone who doesn't have any experience with accessibility in gaming, here is a list of the most basic features that would enhance accessibility from gameaccessibilityguidelines.com:

Motor
(Control / mobility)

- Allow controls to be remapped / reconfigured
- Ensure that all areas of the user interface can be accessed using the same input method as the gameplay
- Include an option to adjust the sensitivity of controls
- Ensure controls are as simple as possible, or provide a simpler alternative
- Ensure interactive elements / virtual controls are large and well spaced, particularly on small or touch screens

Cognitive
(Thought / memory / processing information)

- Allow the game to be started without the need to navigate through multiple levels of menus
- Use an easily readable default font size
- Use simple clear language
- Use simple clear text formatting
- Include interactive tutorials
- Allow players to progress through text prompts at their own pace
- Avoid flickering images and repetitive patterns

Vision
- Ensure no essential information is conveyed by a colour alone
- If the game uses field of view (3D engine only), set an appropriate default for expected viewing environment
- Use an easily readable default font size
- Use simple clear text formatting
- Provide high contrast between text and background
- Ensure interactive elements / virtual controls are large and well spaced, particularly on small or touch screens

Hearing
- Provide separate volume controls or mutes for effects, speech and background / music
- Ensure no essential information is conveyed by audio alone, reinforce with text / visuals
- If any subtitles / captions are provided, use an easily readable default font size, simple clear text formatting and provide high contrast between text and background

Speech
- Ensure that speech input is not required, and included only as a supplementary / alternative input method

Now keeping in mind this is the very lowest level of theoretical support, I can't think of a huge number of modern, mainstream, well funded, console games that pay much more than lip-service to many of these concepts.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Has this become an Ace Combat 7 thread?

This has become an Ace Combat 7 thread.

Fuck yes.

Are the panels going to be streamed/archived?

Only really interested in this:

Accessibility options in games is a joke right now and I hope the inclusion of a panel here at the PSX might mean more people in the industry and gamers themselves take it a little more seriously or at least are a little more empathetic.

I do get a little chuckle that even here they sort of have to sell it to attendees as "don't worry guys, we're not just doing this for the cripples, this will benefit you all!" but hey if it gets folks to listen, I ain't complaining.

Unfortunately I suspect it will be the panel with the lowest attendance by far but more power to Sony for at least trying.

Just as an example to anyone who doesn't have any experience with accessibility in gaming, here is a list of the most basic features that would enhance accessibility from gameaccessibilityguidelines.com:

Now keeping in mind this is the very lowest level of theoretical support, I can't think of a huge number of modern, mainstream, well funded, console games that pay much more than lip-service to many of these concepts.
Yes, Sony puts up YouTube videos when it is all said and done.

I also agree with your accessibility talk. I thought about how it was presented here as well. The idea is good but you can still tell there is a lot of work to be done in general.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Calling it now: Ace Combat 7 will be called Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.

Also, PS2 trilogy on PSN plz.

Everyone seems to be pissed about this, but I'm hyped for whatever the hell Kojima has to show.
Well, for me, I would just want something more substantial shown. If it is more of the same, what is the point? Yes, Sony, you have a partnership with Kojima but it has been touted enough. :p

Ted

Yes, Sony puts up YouTube videos when it is all said and done.

Sweet, thanks for the response Drifting Spirit.

I also agree with your accessibility talk. I thought about how it was presented here as well. The idea is good but you can still tell there is a lot of work to be done in general.

For sure. Let's remain hopeful and see what the panel brings to the table though. If nowt else it's really cool* to see such a subject get a primetime slot at such a mainstream gaming event.

Well, for me, I would just want something more substantial shown. If it is more of the same, what is the point? Yes, Sony, you have a partnership with Kojima but it has been touted enough. :p
If all hes going to so is get on stage and show concept art of him and co workers holding hands and talking about strings like tgs than plz stay home or at least of the stage lol

kdoll08

Fuck. I really wanted to play the new Hot Shots Golf as it was the game I was looking forward to the most. I know I'm lame. Last year it was playable here and it was just playable a few weeks ago at the Paris show. I'm sure I'll still have a great time and can't wait for the GAF meetup but this bums me out.

Fuck. I really wanted to play the new Hot Shots Golf as it was the game I was looking forward to the most. I know I'm lame. Last year it was playable here and it was just playable a few weeks ago at the Paris show. I'm sure I'll still have a great time and can't wait for the GAF meetup but this bums me out.
Right there with ya man. But hey man waits coming to a close soon. Hopefully I can kick ya butt in some golf this summer

Fisty

Man Kiwami isn't worth the wait, just buy the PS2 game for $20 and let's stay mostly up to speed with the series going forward.

Listen pal if there's a way to play the PS2 version with JP dub and eng subs in glorious 1080p60 with that massively overhauled gameplay, I'd do it

Honestly I don't care which one they do first, as long as they do them both soon

Sweet, thanks for the response Drifting Spirit.

For sure. Let's remain hopeful and see what the panel brings to the table though. If nowt else it's really cool* to see such a subject get a primetime slot at such a mainstream gaming event.

If all hes going to so is get on stage and show concept art of him and co workers holding hands and talking about strings like tgs than plz stay home or at least of the stage lol
Right lol.

It's literally the only thing I'm looking forward to from this conference.
I mean, just go watch what he did at TGS. It won't be much different.

Neifirst

I noticed that a lot of the VR titles are ones that have already been released. Are there plans for additional content? I don't recall reading about it if that's the case.

Loudninja

Online-only though?
+ IndianaJaffe on November 4th, 2016 at 10:27 am said:

So glad you enjoyed early access- nice! :)

No price point discussion yet- but soon! Apologies on that.

No single player planned at the moment. There is training and a new shooting gallery but it’s nowhere near what I think you are looking for in terms of 1P. We’d love to do that one day if the game has enough fans but for launch, we’re all guns blazing on making a super competitive, hardcore MP shooter.

Thanks for posting, sir! :)

Jaffe

Top Bottom