• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation had an excellent Gamescom (without even showing up properly)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
  • Sifu release date (Feb 2, 2022)
  • Horizon Forbidden West release date (Feb 18, 2022)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn 60 FPS patch announcement
  • Jett: The Far Shore release date (October 5, 2022) with more gameplay footage
  • Death Stranding: Director's Cut gameplay deep dive (freakin' jet packs!)
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?

Last edited:
Pee Wee Herman 80S GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would be happier if they did a good Show... why is the Alternative a bad show. Lol
That'd would be ideal, but a bit unrealistic at this stage. I think we'd either get a bad show or a show with the majority of content that isn't coming for the next two years.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This can't be serious, right?

Nah, people WANT a conference. A proper one, with new games, trailers of new games and so on. While it's nice to have SOME anouncements, this doesn't change the fact that it's high time to hype players - and I'm saying that as an already hyped person ;)
But what if those games aren't coming anytime soon? Would you prefer having a show with the majority of big AAA content releasing after 18-24 months? The other option would be to pad it up with lower-quality content and smaller games that are releasing soon, but my guess is that people won't like that either.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If you look at that list you made honestly, I don't understand how you can be happy about it. What's their big holiday game going to be this year?

It wasn't just Sony though, Gamescom was terrible this year.
Horizon Forbidden West and Ghostwire Tokyo were going to be their big Q4 2021 games. Both got delayed though. HFW is still releasing in February so it's not as bad.

TheAssist

It wasn't just Sony though, Gamescom was terrible this year.
I disagree. It was worse last year. This year there is plenty of really cool indy stuff that I really want to play. All the AAA I could live without, it was just old franchise after old franchise and nothing new or exciting. But the indy scene really stole the show for me.

Sony didnt have a good showing though. There was hardly anything there and MS cleary had more to offer for fans. Whether you like their games is on another note, but their presence and the amount and quality on show was superior. I mean yeah Sony wasnt attending, so that might not sound very hard, by I actually enjoyed their show.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I disagree. It was worse last year. This year there is plenty of really cool indy stuff that I really want to play. All the AAA I could live without, it was just old franchise after old franchise and nothing new or exciting. But the indy scene really stole the show for me.

Sony didnt have a good showing though. There was hardly anything there and MS cleary had more to offer for fans. Whether you like their games is on another note, but their presence and the amount and quality on show was superior. I mean yeah Sony wasnt attending, so that might not sound very hard, by I actually enjoyed their show.
I agree that Gamescom was better this year. But I think PlayStation had a better show than Xbox. Xbox had a one-hour show + ~10 minutes for Halo Infinite announcements, but they didn't reveal anything significant: Halo CGI trailer, no Halo campaign footage, Crossfire trailer with still no release date, Scorn didn't show up, no new big game announcement.

Also just saw this on Geoff's twitter.

cc: the ever-joyful and laughing Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert 😂

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That'd would be ideal, but a bit unrealistic at this stage. I think we'd either get a bad show or a show with the majority of content that isn't coming for the next two years.
Tbh I wouldn't be mad if Sony came out and showed games that are 2-3 years away as long as they have some releases in between like they usually do

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
This can't be serious, right?

Nah, people WANT a conference. A proper one, with new games, trailers of new games and so on. While it's nice to have SOME anouncements, this doesn't change the fact that it's high time to hype players - and I'm saying that as an already hyped person ;)
Seriously. People can’t honestly justify Sony going almost one full year without a major showcase/announcements.

I agree that Gamescom was better this year. But I think PlayStation had a better show than Xbox. Xbox had a one-hour show + ~10 minutes for Halo Infinite announcements, but they didn't reveal anything significant: Halo CGI trailer, no Halo campaign footage, Crossfire trailer with still no release date, Scorn didn't show up, no new big game announcement.

Also just saw this on Geoff's twitter.

cc: the ever-joyful and laughing Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert 😂

This is just .... Pathetic.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Horizon is delayed and you call that positive news... Just because they set a release day?
A delay is understandable (and wasn't surprising at this stage). They couldn't finish mo-cap because Netherland went into lockdown. However, it's only a two-month delay. It could be much worse.

All the other stuff was absolutely positive: 60 FPS patch, release dates for Jett, Sifu, etc.

ZehDon

OP putting in 10 of the 26 posts in their own thread to announce Sony had a good Gamescom... which is ironically more work than Sony itself put in.

Why would Sony bother turning up when they can just delay cross-gen games, re-release others, show a third party trailer for a non-timed exclusive, and still have an "excellent" show?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Horrible showing and nothing but remakes this year. They are taking a huge dump on everyone who got a PS5 at launch like me. I got a SXS now, at least MS is finally delivering THIS YEAR.
I don't know man. Sony has released ~10 exclusive games in the last 12-15 months. I am happily playing these games. Also, Kena, Jett, Solar Ash, Deathloop are releasing in the next two months, while Iki Island expansion just dropped. That's way more games than any other platform.

Syff

Neo Member
This, for whatever it was that they have shown, was horrible.
For months and months Sony has been too quiet.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Mate, Sony haven’t had an official show for a year….a year……

everything you mentioned outside of forbidden west is multi platform, right? And we know forbidden west is coming to pc within 2 years….

Microsoft had a poor show, I can completely agree with that…but they had an awesome E3. Sony just ain’t even trying this year.

Sony will bring it, but it’s clearly going to take about two years from the consoles launch for shit to start landing….and there’s a chance MS will be coming swinging with the heavy hitters By then.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Mate, Sony haven’t had an official show for a year….a year……

everything you mentioned outside of forbidden west is multi platform, right? And we know forbidden west is coming to pc within 2 years….

Microsoft had a poor show, I can completely agree with that…but they had an awesome E3. Sony just ain’t even trying this year.

Sony will bring it, but it’s clearly going to take about two years from the consoles launch for shit to start landing….and there’s a chance MS will be coming swinging with the heavy hitters By then.
No, everything I listed in PlayStation console exclusive -- except for COD, but the Alpha this weekend is PS exclusive.

To your other point, I think it's unfair to forget that PlayStation already has released plenty of content -- way more than all its competitors combined. They released ~10 games in the last 12-15 months. Iki Island expansion just dropped. More games are coming in the next two months.

Yes, they didn't have a show, but the content kept coming regardless. I hope it keeps coming, and MS also starts releasing bangers after bangers, so we all have plenty of good games to play.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, everything I listed in PlayStation console exclusive -- except for COD, but the Alpha this weekend is PS exclusive.

so now we can use console exclusive after it being frowned upon for the last 4 to 5 years on Xbox? If it is on pc it ain’t exclusive. That’s what’s always been said hasn’t it? Everyone has awesome gaming pcs and just plays games on that.

I mean I don’t want to go back and forth on that because It honestly doesn’t bother me, but they aren’t really exclusives.

sony is going to be fine this year and they will get through the peak on third parties But let’s not say they are killing it and should be praised for not even showing up for a year.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
so now we can use console exclusive after it being frowned upon for the last 4 to 5 years on Xbox? If it is on pc it ain’t exclusive. That’s what’s always been said hasn’t it? Everyone has awesome gaming pcs and just plays games on that.

I mean I don’t want to go back and forth on that because It honestly doesn’t bother me, but they aren’t really exclusives.

sony is going to be fine this year and they will get through the peak on third parties But let’s not say they are killing it and should be praised for not even showing up for a year.
You took the conversation in a completely different and irrelevant argument.

If you want to go there -- console exclusives are not exclusives -- then it is pretty much over. Sony doesn't need to do anything else as it wins automatically. By your definition, their competition won't have a single exclusive to compete with. Sony wins the conversation with ~10 exclusives they launched since last Summer, in addition to Iki Island Expansion and Death Stranding Director's Cut.

And facts dictate that they are indeed killing it regardless: delivering the most number of games, breaking records with console sales, record profits and revenue, etc. There is nothing -- factual, not opinion-based -- that they aren't doing better than their competitors.

I was really hoping that they were going to announce another limited edition controller or maybe even show some new CGI trailers.
Still, at least PlayStation had the top three games in the Best PlayStation Game of 2021 award, if nothing else, that has to be impressive. They achieved the win without actually showing any of those games. Geoff just knew, he's just got that thing, it's almost like a third sense for him or something.

It's quite disappointing Sony never had a show similar to last September or last June. Guess the games aren't ready for a showing yet, take your time Sony and deliver the goods only when they are ready

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That would mean that the Xbox platform has no exclusives since all of their games release on PC day one.
Absolutely, man. That’s the truth and what we’ve heard for the last x amount of years. It’s also honestly not something that ever bothers me. Peeps should just play where they want.

I have a kickass pc but I also love to sit down in front of my tv like the sad meat sack I am and smash some good ol console gaming!
love the Shiz.

ps5 is gonna have a stonking year but having to find some way to spin their big (cross platform) release not coming out until feb 2022 is a bit of a push..
hopefully more people try returnal….everyone please try returnal. It’s a true ps5 exclusive and it’s awesome

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You took the conversation in a completely different and irrelevant argument.

If you want to go there -- console exclusives are not exclusives -- then it is pretty much over. Sony doesn't need to do anything else as it wins automatically. By your definition, their competition won't have a single exclusive to compete with. Sony wins the conversation with ~10 exclusives they launched since last Summer, in addition to Iki Island Expansion and Death Stranding Director's Cut.

And facts dictate that they are indeed killing it regardless: delivering the most number of games, breaking records with console sales, record profits and revenue, etc. There is nothing -- factual, not opinion-based -- that they aren't doing better than their competitors.

hey bro, honestly not wanting to argue. I couldn’t care about winning. ill Step up and apologise for even responding in the first place. Didn’t mean to cause some negative Nancy stuff.
I just wanted to try and highlight that we shouldn’t try to spin some praise to Sony for not even turning up for a year.

everyone knows I lean more to the Xbox side but I genuinely think the ps5 fucking rocks but there’s times to ask for more. I deffo think xboxes gamescom stream/show was ballsack and they deserve to be shitted on for it. Let’s demand more from all of them.

sony havent had a show for a year….a year man. It sucks.

Top Bottom