• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation had an excellent Gamescom (without even showing up properly)

Kerotan

Was nice waking up to the gaming news today. Now we just need a state of play showing off the remaster of gta v.

yurinka

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?
The most important for me is to get a constant stream of great games across the whole year independently if they are exclusive or not, and to be confident that in the next few months, maybe in the next half a year, I'll have a good list of new great games to play. Sony achives that very well getting a great mixture of multis and exclusives across the whole year.

I prefer to get specific release dates or demos or other updates like to show proper gameplay of cool big and small, exclusive or not, games that are coming relatively soon than a CG trailer of supposedly hyping game to be released several years in the future.

If they only have a few minor updates or minor ones, I prefer them to show them in shared events as they did in GamesCom or Summer Game Fest. If they have more and some of them are really exciting then I prefer them to have their own event.

But when they have their own event I prefer there only gameplay of unseen before games or games we sonly saw once or twice, with maybe in a few times a dev explaining the game while gameplay is shown. I don't want fillers like multiplatform uninteresting indies that nobody care about, trailers of games we saw many times before, or to see guys talking uninteresting canned PR stuff not related to games (like those 'we support diversity, we're a great company' videos we saw yesterday or the catapult stuff) during a long period of time.

Regarding its length, I only want them to cut the fat and keep only the interesting stuff. If it results on a 20 minute video, that's ok. If it results on a 2 hours video, that's ok too (and even better). Even if the event focuses on a single great big game as they did Ratchet, Horizon or Deathloop, that's very cool too.

I made this thread listing the upcoming Sony exclusives and their known release dates, and I see that now 9 of them have a release date, 5 more are supposed to be released in 2021 (but I think at least two of them will be pushed back to next year), then they have a couple for January or 'early 2022', 4 more as '2022' and over half a dozen known exclusives with TBA release date that some of them are likely to be released in 2022.

I think Sony will keep these months a low profile regarding their own announcements and events until November or early December, when they will make a big State or Play or their 'PlayStation Experience' to be more specific about the remaining exclusives for the end of the year and provide more details about their know 2022 games (specially GoW gameplay debut and GT7 release date) plus make some a handlful of 2022 announcements (maybe TLOU2DC featuring its PS5 version, the TLOU1R and the TLOU2 MP standalone game plus Spider-Man 2). They may use this event to make a full reveal of PSVR2 showcasing its full specs and announce a release window, and maybe to announce some PS Now or PS Plus related improvements. They may also announce one or maybe even two super exciting or nostalgic 2023 exclusive (maybe Wipeout coming back on time for PSVR2?), but I think they would focus on 2022.

Last edited:

Ellery

Oh the the fabled hopes & dreams conference tentative date is in October now?? I can't keep up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No idea. It is what I've been expecting for quite some time now. No idea what other people expects or what the current rumors are.

yurinka

If MS fully delayed Halo until next year or Nintendo delayed Dread they'd get tarred and feathered, and they have other big releases coming this year like SMTV and Forza Horizon.
Horizon had a 'late 2021' release date, so they only delayed it 2 or 3 months and the game looks promising. Halo was supposed to be released at the console launch, but was delayed a full year because people didn't like how it did look. It will be released a year later with some important content missing because will be released next year.

And Horizon s delayed in the context of the console that already got many exclusives recently and has a fair amount of announced upcoming exclusives of different types for the rest of the year and 2022, plus many exciting multiplatform games coming this holidays. And insisde a bigger picture of Sony exclusives dominating the GOTY awards candidate lists every year since a decade or so, so people don't care if during a few months there won't be a 1st party release there.

So there's no reason for dramas because it's a short delay for a game that looks great and people will have a lot of exciting existing and new games to play in the coming months.

Last edited:
I agree that Gamescom was better this year. But I think PlayStation had a better show than Xbox. Xbox had a one-hour show + ~10 minutes for Halo Infinite announcements, but they didn't reveal anything significant: Halo CGI trailer, no Halo campaign footage, Crossfire trailer with still no release date, Scorn didn't show up, no new big game announcement.

Also just saw this on Geoff's twitter.

cc: the ever-joyful and laughing @Bernd Lauert 😂

Not that i think MS was a great show (even though I wasn't expecting it to be) its funny how MS can be rated a D for showing actually gameplay of games coming out this year.... And Sony announcing a delay of a game... And yet Sony won.

Neither show was nothing to shout about but it what world can MS showing be a D and then Sonys be AAA.

And some people stupidly claim on this forum... "This thread doesn't seem organic, are you a paid Sony account".... /s

My reasons are in the OP :) PlayStation wasn't officially present at Gamescom, but PlayStation fans still ended up getting plenty of exciting and positive news.
No mate 😅 you've literally created a thread out of nothing, they showed nothing they had no show. In fact all they did was delay Forbidden West, so they actually had a terrible Gamescom, maybe I'll create a thread 🤔🤣

iHaunter

I agree that Gamescom was better this year. But I think PlayStation had a better show than Xbox. Xbox had a one-hour show + ~10 minutes for Halo Infinite announcements, but they didn't reveal anything significant: Halo CGI trailer, no Halo campaign footage, Crossfire trailer with still no release date, Scorn didn't show up, no new big game announcement.

Also just saw this on Geoff's twitter.

cc: the ever-joyful and laughing @Bernd Lauert 😂

I promise I did not make 29,000 accounts.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
  • Sifu release date (Feb 2, 2022)
  • Horizon Forbidden West release date (Feb 18, 2022)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn 60 FPS patch announcement
  • Jett: The Far Shore release date (October 5, 2022) with more gameplay footage
  • Death Stranding: Director's Cut gameplay deep dive (freakin' jet packs!)
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
Bruce Willis Wtf GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
lowered-expectations.jpg

If this is what passes for excellent nowadays then we live on different planets. or a different reality. Delays are good? Release dates announcements without any trailers or new footage is good? directors cuts of2 year old games are good? Why is CoD even in there. It's not even an exclusive.

60 fps Horizon is the only good news for PS fans. I am just shaking my head at just how little it takes to impress us Sony fans after they skipped E3. Skipped July. Skipped August. And now skipped Gamescom. We havent had a conference from Sony in a year. Any new game reveals since June of last year. And this is what is considered excellent?

I remember posting polls for Nintendo and Microsoft's E3 pressers in June, and around half of those votes were A or B. Those were some of the worst conferences Ive seen, little to no gameplay, CG trailers, uninteresting indie lineups, and I was shocked to see fans embrace them like Sony's E3 2015 or 2016 conferences. Now those were excellent conferences. But I guess if you starve your fanbase long enough, even scraps start to look great.

Bergoglio

Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?
We are not blind like you.

Derktron

Banned
Tell me your a PlayStation fanboy without tell me your a PlayStation fanboy…..seriously? Sony needs to stop acting all hush hush and speak. At least Nintendo who is sometimes very secretive at least does some actual communication.

saintjules

If you look at that list you made honestly, I don't understand how you can be happy about it. What's their big holiday game going to be this year?

It wasn't just Sony though, Gamescom was terrible this year.

I guess the holiday thing won't matter much because if it's a big game it will be $70. And we know people are waiting for sale prices because $70 is a lot for many. They'll wait until 2022.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Given how tiny the show was their they okay. Big fish in a little pond. Delaying Horizon Forbidden West was rumored but it's not like it's welcome news. The 60fps patch softened the blow but it still is a shame it was delayed.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But to be fair Microsoft's showing was even worse if that's possible, they pretty much confirmed they are scared to show Halo's campaign, which has to mean it's not looking good. Hell i'd even argue MS needs another showing previous to Game Awards, even if it's a small one, to show a solid Gameplay video of Halo, and stuff like Avowed too
I think it's shocking that MS didnt show the Halo campaign at E3 and now at Gamescom. Didnt they literally delay the game for a year because the campaign looked like shit? Have they fixed Craig? Have they fixed the graphics? What improvements have they made that warranted a year long delay?

How do you not have anything to show on the campaign after a year long delay?

AmuroChan

Nobody was expecting anything from Sony at Gamescom.

What is disappointing though, is that all these "insiders" were telling us all summer that Sony is going to have a blowout E3-level showcase in August. We're 5 days from September and all those insiders have suddenly gone silent.

mckmas8808

Banned
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Dude.........I want a real conference. I want Jim to take his thumb out of his butt and actually DO SOMETHING!!!!!

Javthusiast

Banned
If we are not getting a sony event in september than we can pack it up for 2021 outside of maybe a random small SoP here and there.

And I hate it. I need that one big yearly sony show. Show me more FF16, Forspoken, GoW, Gran Turismo. Surprise us with Dragons Dogma 2, Factions tease etc.

sainraja

Question
: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?
I doubt Sony will do an event in September because all eyes & news coverage will be on Apple.

MrS

Banned
Jett, aside from D2R, looks like the only good game coming to the console until 2022. That's a problem. Especially with Forza looking amazing and Halo coming.

Last edited:

yurinka

Jett, aside from D2R, looks like the only good coming to the console until 2022. That's a problem. Especially with Forza looking amazing and Halo coming.
They have many more cool exclusives coming to the console during this year and beyong, plus many great multi games to be released this holidays and the ones already released on PS5 (and PS4) until now. Not a problem at all.

Last edited:
This can't be serious, right?

Nah, people WANT a conference. A proper one, with new games, trailers of new games and so on. While it's nice to have SOME anouncements, this doesn't change the fact that it's high time to hype players - and I'm saying that as an already hyped person ;)

What difference does a conference make?

Nobody really gives a shit about the platform for making the announcements. They care about the announcements themselves. I'd prefer they give up awkward conferences with greasy execs, washed-up celebs and devs trotted out to speak who are ostensibly awkward as hell and don't wanna be there.

Just do a game reel video showing the game announcements and trailers. That's far more interesting to me.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I don't know. I am not anymore hyped to get a ps5 this holiday season than I was before gamescom.

Honestly feel the same about xbox (already have series x). No halo footage was a let down.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I personally found announcing a delay at a game conference was just odd.. and the fact they used a 60FPS patch for Horizon that they should have had ready a long time ago to temper the news was sort of hilarious to me. They probably initially planned to time the patch they easily could have done months ago to get people playing Horizon 1 just in time for Horizon 2.. but didn't quite happen lol

I'm not angry in any way as whatevs videogames aren't worth getting angry over, but it all was sort of hilarious.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I thinks it's clear fans are eager to something of God of War, GT7 and Forspoken, and that needs to be the priority for Sony.

However I'm prepared to wait if the alternative is CGI videos for games coming out in 2024.

Top Bottom