• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has 21 Million PlayStation Plus Subscribers

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
People really want to play multiplayer. Because they're sure as hell not subscribing for the "free" games.

I've been a subscriber for years and would say that it's 99% due to the games. I rarely play multiplayer and wouldn't pay as much as I do purely for multiplayer. As a matter of fact, if that's all you got from psplus, I'd go pc in a heartbeat.

It's not really a surprise when they forced us to. If you want MP, you have to have Plus. I didn't subscribe to Plus at all during the PS3 gen and I find having to pay for MP distasteful.

BHK3

Banned
Too bad the service still sucks, what a shocker. Free money for sony I guess, god knows where it's all going.

madmackem

Too bad the service still sucks, what a shocker. Free money for sony I guess, god knows where it's all going.
It's like an urban myth now that psn sucks, I've had way more issues with Xbox live in the past 12 months than I've had with psn, live shits the bed party wise etc
Regularly.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's like an urban myth now that psn sucks, I've had way more issues with Xbox live in the past 12 months than I've had with psn, live shits the bed party wise etc
Regularly.

The party problems are the Xbox One. Not Live. Party chat works fine on 360.

Windforce

What sucks, exactly? Other than infamous infrastructure limitations such as inability to change PSN username, what is going wrong for you?

PSN has been stable as fuck for me, I never ever drop out of it and I play online every single day on PS4 and PS Vita (sometimes PS3). The sales are good, the cloud saving works, remote play works, share play works, streaming/broadcasting games works, party chat is ok, really, everything that depends on the network is just fine for me and friends (haven't heard complaints in a while).

golem

Regularly.

I feel the same way. Although Im not on PSN as much as before Live service has definitely been disappointing lately

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Regularly.

What sucks, exactly? Other than infamous infrastructure limitations such as inability to change PSN username, what is going wrong for you?

PSN has been stable as fuck for me, I never ever drop out of it and I play online every single day on PS4 and PS Vita (sometimes PS3). The sales are good, the cloud works, remote play works, share play works, streaming/broadcasting games works, really, everything works just fine.

http://downdetector.com/status/playstation-network

You two should visit this page every once in a while.

Last time, during E3, I couldn't sign in to PSN for 6 goddamn days. And that shit has happened for exactly 5 times this year alone for me, for various periods of time.

Had literally zero issues in 2016.

2015, we had a few outages it it looks like Sony have improved the network to cope with demand.

PSN works just fine. It's a solid service. Although I'd like to see Sony make a concerted effort in demonstrating how our subscriptions really benefit gamers. If we are giving Sony nearly a billion dollars a year, I'd like them to tell us why we should be excited to be apart of the PSN and how their services will be improving.

Crayon

I'll stick up for PSN. The only things that suck about psn are that you can't change your name and it costs 50 bucks too much.

Sony will continue to invest in Original Content for PlayStation in order to reach a broad user base.

CmFstSAWAAA8Snj.jpg

-Zhuge again , I really need to know how to recreate images on tweets
Oh noooo!

StereoVsn

I don't play all that much multiplayer but considering that I have had PS3, Vita and PS4 for a while, I have gotten more then my money's worth with Plus between Plus games and Sales discounts. That does not even include MP.

To all the AAA/Retail game bitching, Tropico 5 and NBA2K16 are pretty damn great and that's just the recent examples. Some of the indies that have been posted were amazing as well.

So overall, Plus is a great service... which made Xbox Live a better service. Also, I believe F2P games are exempted from Plus MP, aren't they? And Netflix/etc... are also outside Plus I think. Good going Sony, it's good to see them come back from the brink (too bad about Vita though).

Wheatly

$50 * 21 million = $1.1 BILLION

All that cash and they still give us indie games every month.

I love how they were able to give us AAA games barely a year after launch with only 2 million subscribers last year.

Depending on how many Sony devices you still own, they give up to 72 games per year for those 21 million subs.

*But let's just focus on the $1.1 billion in sales (assuming they all sold at $50 each) *DERP

Crayon

I don't play all that much multiplayer but considering that I have had PS3, Vita and PS4 for a while, I have gotten more then my money's worth with Plus between Plus games and Sales discounts. That does not even include MP.

To all the AAA/Retail game bitching, Tropico 5 and NBA2K16 are pretty damn great and that's just the recent examples. Some of the indies that have been posted were amazing as well.

So overall, Plus is a great service... which made Xbox Live a better service. Also, I believe F2P games are exempted from Plus MP, aren't they? And Netflix/etc... are also outside Plus I think. Good going Sony, it's good to see them come back from the brink (too bad about Vita though).

Yeah I played warframe with no sub. edit: and planetside and that tank game.

a shame they aren't using the money to make psn less crappy then.

Probably toward a better library, or something. VR? Who knows.

Last time, during E3, I couldn't sign in to PSN for 6 goddamn days. And that shit has happened for exactly 5 times this year alone for me, for various periods of time.
This is weird, because I just checked for both PSN and XBL, and while the spikes on PSN's graph may look worse, its actually peaking at 53 reported problems. For XBL, its peaking at 93(!), almost doubling PSN reported issues, and averaging mid-40s outside of that. In context, PSN doesn't seem so bad.

Alo0oy

Banned
I haven't had any issues with PSN over the past year or so, and I play pretty regularly (~8-10 hours a week maybe, significantly more if there's a new release I'm interested in like Dark Souls 3).

Party Chat is trash though, every time we try using Party Chat, we have to dissolve it multiple times until it starts working properly, it's beyond annoying at this point.

kennyamr

Good to know that Sony is finally doing okay again after those very rough years they had.

Also, it's awesome that video games are the area that contributed greatly to their recovery.

Sony used to focus mainly on tech while also having some business with games, now it seems that Sony is a video games company like Nintendo who also does tech.

jjonez18

Love how the partnership with Hideo Kojima is seen as a driving force for PlayStation's future. Up there with vue and PSVR.

Floody

People really want to play multiplayer. Because they're sure as hell not subscribing for the "free" games.

Barely ever play MP, but have had PS+ for about 4-5 years, and don't have any plans to let it go anytime soon. Sure the monthly games haven't been even close to the quality they used to be, but my Sub still gives me access to a lot of those really great games they gave away.

$50 * 21 million = $1.1 BILLION

All that cash and they still give us indie games every month.

I love how they were able to give us AAA games barely a year after launch with only 2 million subscribers last year.

That's what happens when people comply to online paywall. PS+ on PS3 justified its existence with its amazing rental system.
PS+ on PS4 justifies its existence with online play.

odhiex

You know what are those 20m+ subscribers means, Sony?

They REALY wanted
KNACK! KNACK! KNACK!
on PS+

HAHAHA... congrats Sony

You'd think if there was a problem where people couldn't sign in for six days, there would be more widespread complaints.

And down detector is kind of a joke for PSN.

OuterLimits

The service is much more better than the PS3 days. I'm talking about network stability, Store, and download speed not the Instant collection.

My download speeds are very inconsistent on PSN compared to others. Sometimes it is decent, other times it is horrendous.

The store is better than PS3, thank goodness.

I'm hoping one day we can change our username.

bunkitz

That's... kind of low, isn't it? I mean, even if it's just for the PS4 users. Cause then, that would be barely over half.

What I want to know, though, is what games are we getting for July. Sure hope it's something I'd like, even if it's just one title.

That's... kind of low, isn't it? I mean, even if it's just for the PS4 users. Cause then, that would be barely over half.

What I want to know, though, is what games are we getting for July. Sure hope it's something I'd like, even if it's just one title.

Nah. You overestimate how many people are willing to pay for Plus/Gold.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As much as we might hate it, thats alot of money they left on the table during the PS3 years.

Wait... Sony won over MAU too???

It would be fumy if they did and still dont talk about it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You'd think if there was a problem where people couldn't sign in for six days, there would be more widespread complaints.

And down detector is kind of a joke for PSN.

Are you suggesting that I lied?

I guess all that people complaining in the comment section must have been one big, coordinated lying jokers for you too, yeah, since many also commented about how they couldn't sign-in or having problems in PSN for prolonged period of days.

it's gotta be your area/connection? because I haven't had an issue, like, ever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh I don't know, everything always worked perfectly except for only, and only, PSN.

So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is it...just me who stays subscribed to PS Plus for all the great deals and discounts during sales?

I bought two years of PS+ at the end of the year and I kinda sorta regret redeeming it when I did since I haven't really played any of the PS+ games aside from one for most of the last six months and since I don't have a PS4 I don't need it for online MP either.

Top Bottom