• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has 21 Million PlayStation Plus Subscribers

Hoo-doo

Banned
If it wasn't for Rocket League online I'd stop my subscription. I used to love Plus during the PS3 era, but now it isn't even a shadow of its former self.

Our ideas of amazing are very different.

Amazing was when every month they were giving away: Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, Shadow of The Colossus, Ico, The Jak and Daxter trilogy, Demon's Souls, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed 3, Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Dragon's Dogma, Far Cry 3, Mafia 2, Spec Ops The Line, Xcom, Motorstorm, Need for Speed most wanted and Tomb Raider.

That was awesome. I've had my PS4 since day one and the only comparible game is Rocket League, and Resogun to a much lesser extent. This gen more than any other has just reinforced to me that you should never stay loyal to a brand: when Sony are on top they aren't as nice to the consumer, when Sony are behind they are extremely generous to the consumer. Rinse and repeat for Microsoft .

Or maybe, just maybe, the PS4 doesn't yet have this immense library of AAA games going back for years. The PS3 did, and it was able to deliver a more steady flow of good games.

Sony wasn't dropping brand new AAA titles on PS+ either with the PS3. It was always older games.

If it wasn't for Rocket League online I'd stop my subscription. I used to love Plus during the PS3 era, but now it isn't even a shadow of its former self.

Our ideas of amazing are very different.

Amazing was when every month they were giving away: Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, Shadow of The Colossus, Ico, The Jak and Daxter trilogy, Demon's Souls, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed 3, Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Dragon's Dogma, Far Cry 3, Mafia 2, Spec Ops The Line, Xcom, Motorstorm, Need for Speed most wanted and Tomb Raider.

That was awesome. I've had my PS4 since day one and the only comparible game is Rocket League, and Resogun to a much lesser extent. This gen more than any other has just reinforced to me that you should never stay loyal to a brand: when Sony are on top they aren't as nice to the consumer, when Sony are behind they are extremely generous to the consumer. Rinse and repeat for Microsoft .

Yes, they clearly are. Half your list is a snooze fest for me.

Ah well.

Bioshocker

Good for Sony. This generation really is different from the last one. Now Sony are making money both on every console sold and on everyone playing online on PlayStation. Just like they should. I just wonder why they didn't follow Xbox Live's example sooner.

Kazooie

Banned
Or maybe, just maybe, the PS4 doesn't yet have this immense library of AAA games going back for years. The PS3 did, and it was able to deliver a more steady flow of good games.

Sony wasn't dropping brand new AAA titles on PS+ either with the PS3. It was always older games.
The AAA games are available though aren't they? The PS4 has nearly been out for 3 years now so the library is there.

Also when Tomb Raider was on PS3 it had only been out for a matter of months.

Games with Gold has objectively been better this gen, and that is why I'm buying a One S in August to go with my PS4. Rayman Legends, Child of Light, Assassin's Creed IV, Tomb Raider, The Walking Dead Season 1, Thief, Lords of the Fallen, The Wolf Among Us, Sunset Overdrive and The Crew. Really solid offerings.

My gut feeling is that now it is mandatory to have Plus for online, and now that the PS4 is the market leader Sony are no longer bothered by the quality of games. Even the PS3 offerings have been shocking since the PS4.

The AAA games are available though aren't they? The PS4 has nearly been out for 3 years now so the library is there.

Games with Gold has objectively been better this gen, and that is why I'm buying a One S in August to go with my PS4. Rayman Legends, Child of Light, Assassin's Creed IV, Tomb Raider, The Walking Dead Season 1, Thief, Lords of the Fallen, The Wolf Among Us, Sunset Overdrive and The Crew. Really solid offerings.

My gut feeling is that now it is mandatory to have Plus for online, and now that the PS4 is the market leader Sony are no longer bothered by the quality of games. Even the PS3 offerings have been shocking since the PS4.

:LOL

Not that I have much of a choice, being a n online gamer. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't. The PS+ golden years are behind us it seems, Sony doesn't seem to be funneling much of that profit into securing big, exciting PS+ games.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wonder what it'd be if you didn't need it for online play. i know i wouldn't be subscribing if i could play online for free.

I get more than enough out of my subscription with just the money saved on sales. Couldn't care less about the online paywall since I was used to paying for one since 2003.

Oersted

Yup, that's the main reason I keep ps+. The deals are insane, sometime even cheaper than Steam sale.

The only problem I have with PSN is that they still randomly block ip, which is pain in the ass since my ISP only provide dynamic ip. I have to reset my router every couple days because of this.

Sometimes it is cheaper than non-subscription based sales. That sounds interesting.

ViciousDS

Banned
All that money, and PSN is still shit from time to time.

Yes.....I know its like Xbox doesn't have just as many issues throughout the year

Oh wait both services have fucking issues throughout the year.

Glad to see its given Sony a consistent stream of income.....I can't say I've been disappointing when they do have some fucking insane digital sales/deals at times. I constantly hold myself back not to spend a ton lol

Seems the PS+ money to me has been invested in better network infrastructure over PS4's life cycle.
It's a far cry from the PS3 joke days with maintenance and downtime etc.
Can't remember when I last couldn't play online.

PS+ games have been decent so far too, I enjoy at least half the games I get.
There will always be stinkers in there for one person or another.

DavidDesu

PS4 continuing to sell faster than the PS2 did. With the Neo extending the life of the PS4 as a whole and allowing the base console to probably get a decent price cut I can see the PS4 exceeding PS2 at this rate. It's incredible.

Lister

Banned
PSN had 65 MAUs at PS4s launch, and it decreased by 5 million since then.

Shows how useless MAU as a statistic is.

Steam has like 120 million MAUs, but PSN alone makes more money in a single quarter than the entirety of Valve's estimated value.

League of Legends has 27 million MAUs, and only the GTAs, CoDs, and Clash of Clans of the world make more money.

So yeah, MAU is useless.

Valve currently has 170 million active users. But do we know what metric Sony is using for "Active users". If it's not comparable, then we can't compare.

Also, can you show evidence to support your claim that PSN's quarterly earning's is more than Valve's? Not doubting it, since Valve doesn't charge a fee for playing online, but curious - specially since it's not really a comparable thing because when it comes to profit, Sony spends a LOT of money on the PlayStation brand while Valve barely spends anything.

For referece: Steamspy estimates Steam brought in over $4 billion in 2015. NOT including DLC and free to play transactions - which I wouldn't be suprised if that brought in anouther 1/2 a billion or more/

The chances of PS4 hitting PS2 numbers are extremely slim.

Extremely.
If Neo is a success I think it's possible. Most analyst put it over 100 million already. One casual hit away and cheap price tag away from a second life.

Lot of things do have to go "perfect" storm though, so I agree it's unlikely.

Kill3r7

PS+ and XBL both have a relatively small costs for online play especially when you consider that you also get access to games on a monthly basis. I have never paid more than $30 a year for either service and won't have to for the foreseeable future.

Dinjooh

onYms0A.png

is he smelling that dude's hair?

Asd202

I'm a subscriber mainly for online play, PS+ games are an icing on the cake. I don't have any problems with the outages or PSN not working or anything. It's a little too expensive but a solid service IMO.

BokehKing

Banned
That's it? So you're saying there is another 20 million people not connected online?

That is the more mind blowing number to me (they are at like 40 million sold right?)

How do you not play online?
Idk, I guess that explains why I was in the minority when I was ok with Xbox's original always online plan.

Glad to see its given Sony a consistent stream of income.....I can't say I've been disappointing when they do have some fucking insane digital sales/deals at times. I constantly hold myself back not to spend a ton lol
Exactly. My sub has pretty much paid for itself with the past few sales they've had.

JakR

I would not argue that PS3 PS Plus was great and with PS4 it was a solid step down.

But I see reasons in place for that, one library on PS4 needs to grow and second AAA games are not as frequent or in numbers like last gen. Third games go the way of "games as a service", publishers will try to make money from titles in digital and retail for much longer time. Fourth PS4 is super succesful and so is the PS Plus attach rate, so if you condition your customers to expect high profile games regularly you cut your own profits down, because half of your installbase would be able to download it.

And that is now the advantage for MS lower installbase and underdog image make better games dar more often possible and more a like PS3 PS Plus times.

Dinjooh

That's it? So you're saying there is another 20 million people not connected online?

That is the more mind blowing number to me (they are at like 40 million sold right?)

Idk, I guess that explains why I was in the minority when I was ok with Xbox's original always online plan.

I don't play online ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use my PS4 for single player games mainly. And the few online games I do play are on PC.

Caayn

*Raises hand*

My PS4 is connected to PSN but I don't use my PS4 to play online.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I don't really have a need for PS Plus. I'm a single player story driven guy, and mostly all Sony IP are Single player heavily story driven experience. Playing online got lame after 2009 for me.

-d0hv

Seel

Neo Member
PSN had 65 MAUs at PS4s launch, and it decreased by 5 million since then.

Shows how useless MAU as a statistic is.

Steam has like 120 million MAUs, but PSN alone makes more money in a single quarter than the entirety of Valve's estimated value.

League of Legends has 27 million MAUs, and only the GTAs, CoDs, and Clash of Clans of the world make more money.

So yeah, MAU is useless.

LoL has almost 100 million MAUs. it made more money than any of the mentioned games last year .

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
$50 * 21 million = $1.1 BILLION

All that cash and they still give us indie games every month.

I love how they were able to give us AAA games barely a year after launch with only 2 million subscribers last year.

I don't think its about Sony "giving" us AAA games but the publishers of said AAA games not wanting to give away their huge games for "free" and yes I know they make money on the PS+ downloads but I can't see Ubisoft or Activistion or EA just risking throwing out potential sales by letting people get their big AAA games for "free" when they can just charge them expensive DL prices through online stores.

Tripon

I wonder if MP numbers are affected since hiding MP behind the paywall effectively locks out half the user base.

Then again, maybe the people who don't have PS+ aren't people who play online multiplayer anyway.

Vade

That's a monthly bill of like $4 tho...

I know right I am racking up a massive 0$ per month on PC. The service has slightly more features than the bare-bones of the PS3 days.

They took people by the balls because they know the vocal-minority will piss and moan but in the end they will get the 80% majority. When you get 20-21 million paying 4-5 dollars a month while footing a tenth if that of actual cost. Things look pretty good.

Top Bottom