• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Holiday Sale Live

Night.Ninja

Banned
It’s worth it for the production value alone. Do you know anything about the gameplay? I think it’s very well made. I enjoyed it and I still listen to the OST.
I know you walk around a lot and it seems to be some supernatural vibes

Finished the game on PC. Really liked it.
People are not joking when they call it a walking simulator. Or critics complain that it is "tedious" at times.
You really have to be in the mode to play this kind of game.
If you are into tea-bagging and headshot Call of Duty stuff, this game might not be for you.

Be ready for:
-Feelings of melancholy one minute, spine tingling sensation the next minute
-Feeling helpless at first (you are a courier)
-Long stretches of walking around a dystopian America countryside
-Long cutscenes of storytelling
-Awkward boss fights
-Scenes of beauty almost every few minutes
-Thought provoking ideas from Kojima(I swear he dreams about these things after getting high)
-Great voice acting/motion capture
-An OST that might stay with you for some times if not your playlist

This game is very hard for me to recommend because I feel it is a 50/50 chance people will love it or hate it.

But for 50% off making it $20usd, maybe it won't be so hard taking a chance on it?
Thanks for the mini review, that's how I feel for the price I can't really go wrong.

A bit of a random question but how would you compare it to Metal gear solid 4?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I know you walk around a lot and it seems to be some supernatural vibes

Thanks for the mini review, that's how I feel for the price I can't really go wrong.

MGS4 doesn’t make you go for long distances to deliver packages that might get damaged along the way. They are two different games. You have a large part of the map to cover in DS before triggering a cutscene. I’d say they are like night and day. MGS4 is a lot more compact. Phantom Pain is a better comparison except they are two totally different games. Phantom Pain has large maps with outposts spread out That’s comparible to Death Stranding. Phantom Pain has enemies that hang out at bases. You’ll see camp sites and you’ll get to drive vehicles throughout the terrain. One nice bit about DS is that everything looks/feels like a hikers paradise. Put on a good song and just go hiking. In the Phantom Pain I liked to sprint to my location or ride my horse listening to the OST.

Last edited:

Zeeed

The only thing comparable are the long cutscenes.

Death Stranding is nothing I have ever played before.

It's ambitious and a gamble to put a game like this out as the first game from your new company.
He could have taken the easy route and do something safe for his first game to guarantee a good reception.
But I guess that is not Kojima.

Last edited:
Top Bottom