• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Ireland confirms Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is PS4 Exclusive

Jawmuncher

My whole angle on these sorts of arguments are simple.

If it's a full-on exclusive, just say so. If it's timed or something else, don't beat around the bush. People who want the game are going to buy it on their platform regardless. Microsoft as of late has done a good job with their timed exclusives. Both Dead Rising 4 and Tomb Raider from the get go were said to be timed. I still bought both on Xbox.

I could care less if Crash is exclusive or not. But if it is, why do we have to find out from random twitter posts and PR accounts? Sony lately has been going out of their way to make things confusing. If things were clear cut, we wouldn't have to deal with port begging or other such things.

Someone asking for something like Horizon Zero Dawn on Xbox or Switch is dumb. Someone asking for something like Nier Automata that is more shrouded in mystery makes a bit more sense.

As i've said before this is just the way I see it. At the end of it all I don't care if it is or not. I have access to all the systems and being able to play anything. So no sort of exclusivity impacts me. But I will always be in favor of a game being on as many platforms as possible so more people can play over any sort of exclusivity. I don't need to parade why my box or anything else is better than someone else's.

Yukinari

Are the original Crash games on PS1 not a Toejam&Earl situation or am i mistaken?

Sega has the rights to sell TJ&E 1 and 2 but they dont actually own the characters anymore.

O: Oop. I always just assumed that it was a PS4 exclusive.

Did Sony not work out a deal with Activisin ffor the Crash remake due to the incessant number of playstation fans who were clamouring year in and year out for Sony to bring the franchise back from the dead?

Makes a cool story to tell though activision had already gone through a couple of non starter attempts to revive crash anyway so doesn't necessarily mean that story is true

I still don't see how this would be a bad thing. For me as a consumer, there's absolutely no reason to want more than one platform. I don't need an incentive to buy more than one, as i would be perfectly fine with just owning one if that one could play all the game si wanted.

Honestly, I don't think half the games Sony and Nintendo put out now would exist if they weren't making them as incentives to get people on their ecosystems.

And I know you'll say "more platforms = more money," but it isn't always that simple, otherwise all those Japanese games on PS4 would also be on Xbox.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also
34796-ctr-crash-team-racing-playstation-back-cover.jpg

It says copyrighted by Universal.

That's in reference to the characters. The game itself is owned by Sony as per the opening sentence.

JaseC

Wait are people seriously expecting it on other non Sony systems???

It's not as baseless as it may seem:

There are a handful of reasons why some suspect it's just a temporary exclusive:

- Acti owns the Crash IP
- Acti owns the original games, with CTR -- the one game that Acti doesn't own -- being absent
- Vicarious Visions, the developer, is owned by Acti
- Acti alone is the publisher
- Neither Acti nor Sony have denied the possibility of the trilogy going elsewhere at a later date

Are the original Crash games on PS1 not a Toejam&Earl situation or am i mistaken?

Sega has the rights to sell TJ&E 1 and 2 but they dont actually own the characters anymore.

Might not mean anything but on PSN Sony is publishing the originals.

Edit: At least in Europe.

My guess is that it is timed BUT they want to see how well it does first. If the game sells a lot they might not see a reason to port it to other systems, of course to Activision that is just money on the table, so I guess we'll just have to see.
The crazy thing is that we don't any other examples that we can compare to, this whole ordeal seems particularly unique.

MUnited83

For you.
This will get a PC/XB1/Switch release before Christmas I bet.
Well then, if they still to this day publish the originals, why wouldn't the remaster be exclusive then. Makes sense.

Not at all. The original rights have no relation whatsoever with the rights of the remaster. They are completely different things.

JaseC

Sony has publishing rights and owns CTR, however Acti owns the IP and the rest of the games.

fernoca

I don't mind, since I own all current gen systems.

I'd say that as others has pointed out, this may be a timed exclusive. Sony would've made a bigger deal about the game, the exclusivity and even the June release.

Yet, most of this game has just been thrown under the carpet. We had some short interviews, random screenshots here and there and the release date was even a non event that, as even pointed out that day...the Twitter post from Activision regarding the announcement of the release date was even ignored by many before.

For such a big and requested return, both Sony and Activision has threated it as a non-event. Hopefully, things will improve in the upcoming months.

Ozium

I was mostly thinking of this actually. All the teases and build-up on Sony's part, one conference after another.

this means nothing. they could have struck up a marketing deal like shenmue 3 or no man's sky or a limited exclusivity period in exchange for marketing, with the idea that most crash fans are on the playstation ecosystem

until i see "ONLY ON PS4" on the box....

JaseC

I don't know why Vicarious Visions, Activision or Sony haven't came upfront to clear the confusion.

Probably because the evidence supporting the argument that it's a timed exclusive is really just circumstantial. There's no pressing need to clarify when there's nothing in the way of a smoking gun.

orochi91

I don't know why Vicarious Visions, Activision or Sony haven't came upfront to clear the confusion.

Maybe someone needs to ask them directly?

Both PS and VV have said it's PS4 exclusive through social media, but I suppose folks need something more concrete.

We need to hear it from Shawn Layden or something.

JordanN

Banned
this means nothing. they could have struck up a marketing deal like shenmue 3 or no man's sky or a limited exclusivity period in exchange for marketing, with the idea that most crash fans are on the playstation ecosystem

until i see "ONLY ON PS4" on the box....

Then how do you explain this?

wlKDH4c.jpg

No universal logo in a Sony game

That probable doesn't mean much either, considering FFX-HD had the "Only on PlayStation" label, but still showed up on Steam.

Right, but it seems FFX HD may had a deal going on considering the timing of the release (game sitting finished on SteamDB 9 months before release, releasing happening 1 year day for day after PS4 release).

JaseC

Has VV said something? I don't recall.

It said that the trilogy "is set to be released exclusively on the PS4", which, like the comment in the OP, is just reiterating what Acti itself has already said and doesn't point in any particular direction as to the extent to which it's exclusive.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh, it's one of these threads now!

How did anyone think it wasn't exclusive?
Why would anyone think that a game that is owned by a multiplatform company, published by a multiplatform company that makes multiplatform games would be multiplatform? Truly a crazy thing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nice!

That's a huge exclusive for Sony to have! I hope it stays exclusive.

Is it, though? I refuse to believe that many people care about this
terrible
franchise. And those that do care are no doubt overwhelmingly PS4 owners. Being a PS4 exclusive would be more of Activision knowing where the limited audience is rather than Sony scoring a get.

RPGam3r

I'll just buy it on PS4 where it seems appropriate anyway. I kinda miss exclusives so if it stays PS4 it will scratch some old nostalgia for me.

orochi91

Has VV said something? I don't recall.
This post from earlier.

Seriously, reporters/journalists need to straight up ask Shawn Layden or someone already.

Right, but it seems FFX HD may had a deal going on considering the timing of the release (game sitting finished on SteamDB 9 months before release, releasing happening 1 year day for day after PS4 release).

If Sony is gunning for maximum confusion with regards to these exclusivity labels/deals, then they're certainly excelling in that endeavour, lol

I don't even know anymore yo~~~

Take with a grain of salt? But I thought it was confirmed? That said, it's coming from a PS PR in Ireland who might just be going off the fact that it's only been announced for PS4. I actually have little hope it'll leave PS4, since Sony had a hand in the original titles, but it's not like I'd be able to play it at launch anyways, so no harm in keeping it off my "reasons to buy a PS4" list for a year or two.

This post from earlier.

Seriously, reporters/journalists need to straight up ask Shawn Layden or someone already.

If Sony is gunning for maximum confusion with regards to these exclusivity labels/deals, then they're certainly excelling in that endeavour, lol

I don't even know anymore yo~~~

Eh, that's such a sketch source for me to put any faith in.

Less reliable than this twitter one tbh.

JaseC

Even assuming the exclusivity is temporary, Sony isn't going to clarify as much. To do so would be to act against its own interests.

SNURB

That's in reference to the characters. The game itself is owned by Sony as per the opening sentence.

Would that include ownership of the gameplay itself too? Because Crash Nitro Kart is exactly like CTR and that game was entirely Universal's.

Well then again, it's like every other kart racer out there in terms of gameplay.

I'm now interested in reading how people fell in love with Crash Bandicoot, the bejorted marsupial, without doing so as teenagers playing PSX. I literally just discovered a bunch of Crash games that came out on the Xbox and Wii. They all look pretty bad. Are there Crash fans who missed out on his not actually that impressive glory days on PSX? Who found him via Mind over Mutant and thought, this character, this character I'm interested in seeing again? Tell me your stories.

Never a dull moment in a Crash thread without this.

jmga

Didn't a Sony Twitter PR also said Ni no Kuni 2 was exclusive?

I'm still betting it will be multiplatform.

JaseC

Would that include ownership of the gameplay itself too? Because Crash Nitro Kart is exactly like CTR and that game was entirely Universal's.

Nah. Gameplay systems can't be trademarked or copyrighted, just patented, though gameplay-related patents are relatively rare since they invite opposition (e.g. Sega's patent for the camera transition in its arcade racing games was actually retroactively cancelled due to strong pushback, primarily from Nintendo).

Servbot24

Banned
It never even occurred to me that this would be on any other platform. Seems bizarre for someone to get their hopes up otherwise.

Luminaire

Why would anyone think that a game that is owned by a multiplatform company, published by a multiplatform company that makes multiplatform games would be multiplatform? Truly a crazy thing.

Why would anyone think that a game trilogy that was only released on a Sony console, was announced as a re-master trilogy for a new Sony console, would only release on that Sony console? Crazy!

SNURB

Nah. Gameplay systems can't be trademarked or copyrighted, just patented, though gameplay-related patents are relatively rare since they invite opposition (e.g. Sega's patent for the camera transition in its arcade racing games was actually retroactively cancelled due to strong pushback, primarily from Nintendo).

Huh, if that's the case then I really don't see them having trouble remaking CTR then? I mean we got this far with Sony collaborating with Activision on remaking these so a remake of CTR isn't exactly off the table.

Top Bottom