• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Ireland confirms Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is PS4 Exclusive

farisr

While this is not by any means a proper confirmation, at least this is coming from an official twitter account, and if this starts spreading around and there's some sort of false information, it'll get taken down. As I said before, I flip flop on the idea whether it'll be exclusive or not. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but in the past, marketing deals with activision have never led to the websites for their games only having a specific platforms logo only. And Sony approaching Activision for this and saying this is done in a partnership would lead me to believe this is an exclusive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Funnily enough, Sony still owns the rights to Crash Team racing, even though Acti owns everything else, or so i've heard

Yeah, CTR (presumably) wasn't part of the co-publishing deal with Universal, so it's the one and only Crash game that Acti doesn't own.

ctrrearcover9ysdr.jpg

Guess it's good for those who care about exclusivity I suppose. Wouldn't be surprised however if this turns out to be false in the end.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't care if this is exclusive or not; what concerns me is the worry that ownership weirdness might prevent CTR from getting a tasty remake.

ianpm31

This remake probably wouldn't of happened if it wasn't for Sony pushing Activision to do something about it. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some kind of funding deal between the two

lupinko

Iirc, while Sony doesn't own Crash as in the IP, they own the actual PSone games and their code.

But I could be wrong about that too. Anyone else know more?

JaseC

I thought it was always exclusive. :/

There are a handful of reasons why some suspect it's just a temporary exclusive:

- Acti owns the Crash IP
- Acti owns the original games, with CTR -- the one game that Acti doesn't own -- being absent
- Vicarious Visions, the developer, is owned by Acti
- Acti alone is the publisher
- Neither Acti nor Sony have denied the possibility of the trilogy going elsewhere at a later date

Iirc, while Sony doesn't own Crash as in the IP, they own the actual PSone games and their code.

But I could be wrong about that too. Anyone else know more?

The source code, yes; the games, no.

Party 1: Activision Publishing, Inc. successor in interest to Universal Interactive, Inc.

B33

Banned
Googled it and seems you are right.

Huh. The more you know.

Universal Interactive became Vivendi Games and then Vivendi Games was bought by Activision, which is why Activision owns the Crash Bandicoot IP.

They also own Spyro the Dragon.

SgtCobra

Edit: nevermind, just saw it was PS Ireland, doubt they would know everything about this deal. this discussion will never end until someone at Sony or Activision confirms it.

Blobbers

Sony is so weird and random with labeling exclusivity this gen I just assume every game is PS4 + PC unless stated otherwise.

Did people think Sony wasn't gonna lock this down?
Well they literally never said it was a full exclusive at any point seemingly until now so yes, people doubted.

I'm still on the fence, until it gets shown by Sony proper with a "PS4 console exclusive" or "Only On PlayStation" banner I think it's still up in the air.

For example many assumed Nier Automata was a PS console exclusive and it is, but only by nature of SE/Platinum not thinking it is worth bringing to Xbox. Crash could come to other platforms after a period of PS exclusivity.

B33

Banned
I thought naughty dog owned crash bandicoot until they sold it to universal

Universal Interactive funded Crash Bandicoot and as a result of its contractual agreement, owned the IP. Naughty Dog never owned the IP.

There are a handful of reasons why some suspect it's just a temporary exclusive:

- Acti owns the Crash IP
- Acti owns the original games, with CTR -- the one game that Acti doesn't own -- being absent
- Vicarious Visions, the developer, is owned by Acti
- Acti alone is the publisher
- Neither Acti nor Sony have denied the possibility of the trilogy going elsewhere at a later date

The source code, yes; the games, no.

Is Sony contributing to the game's funding?

Battlechili

Banned
Crash 1-3 is okay and all but when's Spyro Orange HD coming out?
I don't think it is Exclusive. Sony would shout it from the rooftops if it was Exclusive.
Sony calls things that aren't exclusive exclusive. In a stream not too terribly long ago they called Nier Automata an exclusive. I don't think the word has any meaning anymore.

Varg

Banned
Fully expect it to come to pc in six months . It's an exclusive as tomb raider was exclusive with Xbox .

JaseC

Is Sony contributing to the game's funding?

Acti and only Acti is listed as the copyright claimant at the end of the announcement trailer, plus it's successful enough that it'd have no reason to accept a co-funding deal and in doing so relinquish at least some ownership of the product, so I'd think not. Remedy sunk all of its Max Payne money into the development of Alan Wake before partnering with Microsoft to finish the game and as a result it (the game, not the IP) is jointly owned by both of them, for instance.

I'm still on the fence, until it gets shown by Sony proper with a "PS4 console exclusive" or "Only On PlayStation" banner I think it's still up in the air.

Even those banners aren't always properly applied.

Odds are you'll be waiting indefinitely for it to come to other systems. Of course, I could be wrong, but if I really wanted to play these games I sure wouldn't be waiting around for who knows how many years for a Switch or PC port or whatever.

Not saying anyone should buy a PS4 for these games (not really worth it), but if you already own a PS4 and you want to play them you might as well just get them on PS4.

Even those banners aren't always properly applied.

Odds are you'll be waiting indefinitely for it to come to other systems. Of course, I could be wrong, but if I reall wanted to play these games I sure wouldn't be waiting around for who knows how many years for a Switch or PC report or whatever.

Not saying anyone should buy a PS4 for these games (not really worth it), but if you already own a PS4 and you want to play them you might as well just get them on PS4.
Oh I know, but I think the fact that this is the first time they have referred to it as an exclusive and that acti have been shy about confirming it either way makes me think it won't be exclusive forever.

I could easily see it being a year, though.

Top Bottom