• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is the worlds best-selling home console brand - Guinness World Record

brap

Banned
Sonybros we winnin
a9f.gif

TBiddy

As an authentic Irish-man with an authentic JR Ewing avatar, it is my pleasure to post that PlayStation is the worlds best-selling home console brand at over 450 million units.

Twitter post;

Also...

Happy 25 years of PlayStation!

Funny how the timing coincides with the anniversary. I'd be willing to bet that Sony and GWR made a deal to hold back the announcement for a long time, just to be able to announce it today.

I’ve got Xbox sitting at near 200 mil. Sure it’s a ways back from Sony, but with thier time in the market and some of their own self inflicted wounds, it’s not really that terrible.

I wa just cracking a joke as usual, but none the less yea, not too shabby at all where most focus and selling point is here in the states 💪😃

Bryank75

Banned
As a (former hardcore) fan of both I'm glad things happened the way they did to be honest. The PlayStation always felt like the "true successor" to the Super NES to me.
It took me until the Wii to fall out of love with Nintendo but I can definitely see what you mean by PlayStation continuing on from the SNES...

The controller even looks like a more developed SNES controller!

Z..

I wa just cracking a joke as usual, but none the less yea, not too shabby at all where most focus and selling point is here in the states 💪😃
The focus on the US market is why they keep underperfoming compared to Sony and Nintendo. Even the 360, the company's biggest success as far as gaming is concerned ended up selling the least out of the three main 7th gen consoles. That should tell them something, but instead they keep focusing on the same core crowd even more, it's just bizarre at this point... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FranXico

The focus on the US market is why they keep underperfoming compared to Sony and Nintendo. Even the 360, the company's biggest success as far as gaming is concerned ended up selling the least out of the three main 7th gen consoles. That should tell them something, but instead they keep focusing on the same core crowd even more, it's just bizarre at this point... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
'MURICA!

Psykodad

Banned
Only Americans are gullible enough to believe all of MS' PR and FUD.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Thats the power of exclusives(and consoles) for you. Well done and well deserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Zato

Banned
I’ve got Xbox sitting at near 200 mil. Sure it’s a ways back from Sony, but with thier time in the market and some of their own self inflicted wounds, it’s not really that terrible.

200 million? You are way off.

Original Xbox sold around 25-27 million

X360 around 85-92

Xbox One.is lucky if it is at 50 million.

That number is closer to 150 to be fair.

Funny that Sony's biggest flop in home console is the same as Xbox's greatest hits.

They aren't even close.

200 million? You are way off.

Original Xbox sold around 25-27 million

X360 around 85-92

Xbox One.is lucky if it is at 50 million.

That number is closer to 150 to be fair.

Funny that Sony's biggest flop in home console is the same as Xbox's greatest hits.

They aren't even close.
You're also understating it.

170M is about what they're at, which after 3 generstions is pretty damned good.

Compare that to Nintendo, where the NES, SNES and N64 totalled about 145M, and they're actually doing brilliantly.

Actually comparing the same generations directly, even with the Wii and two 8th gen systems, Nintendo only had about 180M sales.

Xbox might, quite deservedly, get a lot of shit, but they really are at least as legitimately a gaming powerhouse as Nintendo is in the console space.

Zato

Banned

Compare that to Nintendo, where the NES, SNES and N64 totalled about 145M, and they're actually doing brilliantly.

How is it 170m ?

Oh Xbox sold fuck all (27 let's be kind)

360 sold 85 million last reported in 2014

Xbox One has been bad and Switch is close to surpassing it, 41 to 45 million from best estimates.

It's closer to 150 buddy, or one Sony PS2 lifetime sales.

Zato

Banned
Actually comparing the same generations directly, even with the Wii and two 8th gen systems, Nintendo only had about 180M sales.

Xbox might, quite deservedly, get a lot of shit, but they really are at least as legitimately a gaming powerhouse as Nintendo is in the console space.

Their first party is nowhere near Nintendo, in terms of a legetimately great creator of games they have no pedigree.

Sonybros we winnin
a9f.gif

I was really expecting that Mask Face Image where the guy is crying underneath, but with a Mario Cap on.

Challenge granted Brap!

In regards to the thread, it was pretty late to get that recognition really. It should have got it in 2005.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I mean, post SNES Nintendo's major hardware success has been largely handhelds not consoles. The Wii was there only major hit compared to Playstation until the Switch, and even it's a hybrid that now has a handheld only version.

I thought the N64 was a hit too.

thelastword

Banned
I think it's time consoles started targeting 500k- 1 million per console...……..The console industry needs to grow and expand, and it will be interesting what strategies they are going to come up with to do so...…...So far we've been hearing talk about such expansions and more encompassing demographics for the next gen systems, basically targeting markets they have not pursued as vigorously...…….One thing is for sure, 100 million is not enough for the foreseeable future, we need to grow massively and we need to do it soon....

Gamernyc78

Banned
Ebreus confirmed. "See you Tuesday" Ahhh great news we all expected /s

Joking of course. I'm curious to see what Ebreus was talking about or whether he was just a lame.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Xbox - 24 million
360 - 84 million
One - 46 million

That's 154 million. For comparison, Xbox's original competitor was the PS2 which sold over 155 million. Xbox STILL hasn't caught up to that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom