• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Media Showcase 2017 - 30th October (Paris Games Week)

Whaaaaaat? I have to confess, I didn't think Sony would do another show at PGW, so this is a shock. I thought they'd be stockpiling everything into PSX at this rate.

Give me Puppeteer 2 please.

Here's how to make amends for E3 this year...

- No pointless stage gimmicks or decorations. Especially no people hanging upside down from ropes.
- Make sure there's variety. Throw in indies and AA titles among the AAA stuff. Show games that aren't open-world, third-person action/adventure games set in spacious, foliage-heavy environments.
- Ensure the conference itself is longer than an hour.

With Shenmue, you had other crazy fans. This time, lol.

Puppeteer has a small cult following! Plus it'd be considerably cheaper to make than a Shenmue game.

Gurish

So they are skipping Gamescom this year as well? bummer, Paris is so far.

Can anyone remind me of what were the highlights of their last year's Paris show? just so I would know what is the expected caliber of the announcements.

Edit:
In 2015 they announced Detroit, GT Sport, Robinson: The Journey, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Matterfall, Driveclub Bikes, first Uncharted 4 multplayer gameplay, first Dreams gameplay, and a few other things.

They didn't hold a press conference in 2016.

Sorry never mind.

So it seems like we can expect major AAAs announcements going by this list, goody!

Ydelnae

Glad to see Europe is also getting a conference this year. I still think PSX should be held in here but right now I'm just happy I don't have to stay up all night to watch the show.

So they are skipping Gamescom this year as well? bummer, Paris is so far.

Can anyone remind me of what were the highlights of their last year's Paris show? just so I would know what is the expected caliber of the announcements.

There was zero highlights last year. Zero. Literally can't name a single one.

El Topo

There was no European conference last year. Someone in this very thread already linked to a summary of their 2015 conference, see below. Europe might be their strongest market and their last conference there was two years ago, but you shouldn't get your hopes up.
Here's Polygon's summary of 2015's announcements just so people don't start imagining BBII (which was definitely, definitely going to turn up at E3) is going to turn up here.

Gurish

Here's Polygon's summary of 2015's announcements just so people don't start imagining BBII (which was definitely, definitely going to turn up at E3) is going to turn up here.

Why not? Detroit and GT:Sport are a pretty big announcements, BB2 can also be there, it's on the same level as those two imo (commercially speaking).

Things like TLOU2 or a new extended GOW4 gameplay footage probably won't be, but "low tier" AAA games can show up.

tusken77

Nice. It means another strong PSX conference if they feel they've got enough to also put on a Paris show a month before.

Auctopus

Why not? Detroit and GT:Sport are a pretty big announcements, BB2 can also be there, it's on the same level as those two imo (commercially speaking).

I'm just trying to prevent "WHAT?! No Bloodborne 2?!" comments taking up the conference thread.

Detroit is being developed by a French developer and Bloodborne is on nowhere near the same commercial level as GT:Sport in Europe. Whenever it turns up and in whatever form (sequel or not), I think it's a pretty safe bet that Bloodborne II will be debuted at PSX or E3.

bombshell

Price drop time a week ahead of Xbox One X launch!

It's nice that they're doing a European conference again, so that we still have 3 Sony main conferences to look forward to for the rest of the year (PSX and TGS). It bodes well for what they still have to announce games wise that they saw the need for a western conference outside the PSX conference in December.

FelipeMGM

Black Duke

Neo Member
About time for WiLD and Dreams to re-appear.
Perfect spot for a PS4 Pro price cut.
I do not expect many AAA announcements (maybe some relase date, nothing more).

pswii60

That's close to the PS Experience, very pleasantly surprised they are still having a European show this year.

I'm sure this is where we'll see Dreams.

MattAces

Price drop time a week ahead of Xbox One X launch!

It's nice that they're doing a European conference again, so that we still have 3 Sony main conferences to look forward to for the rest of the year (PSX and TGS). It bodes well for what they still have to announce games wise that they saw the need for a western conference outside the PSX conference in December.

Perfect time to introduce PlayStation 4 Pro-er too.
$499

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have to assume the Dreams Beta is finally getting released during this or they are in the deepest shit.

pswii60

Why have this event when you had next to nothing to announce at E3. Save it for PSX.

Have you thought the reason they didn't announce too much at E3 is precisely because of this, TGS, and PSX. It's clear they want to spread announcements throughout the year and regions, rather that just dumping everything at E3 (and having so much get lost in the noise).
The guy who leaked the SotC remake said we'd see Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper

maybe we'll see those here

I think he's full of shit The SotC remake had already been rumoured before he posted that, a lucky guess. Especially as he also mentioned TLOU2 which wasn't shown either.

I'd love to see a new Sly and J&D but it's simply not happening unfortunately. Hopefully Crash's success will encourage Sony to make more family-friendly games though. And hopefully the next Ratchet will be unveiled soon.

Strings

New FromSoft game pls!

I really want it too, but it'll 100% be a PSX title. The crowd there would go fucking nuts.

That said, there's a tiny chance it gets revealed here if it's really as fucking weird as Miyazaki says it is. Like, a cutesy VR game or something.

Same thing goes for Sucker Punch - they're too big for something like this imo. Which leaves... I dunno. Maybe Supermassive has a new marquee title outside of VR? I have no clue what new, bigger stuff they'll bring to this.

Hasney

Jim Ryan salty that he's had no good PR for more than a year now.

He always wants to be the big focus

2669380-0785104361-25324.gif

The God

thanks!

Some of those stuff didnt happen at E3, but we know two things about this dude, he knows his stuff, but he gets timing wrong

He didnt especify what kind of projects Jax and Sly are, so it could still be just PS2-PS4.

Crazy thing is, Loco Roco did ''appear''. Loco Roco 2 Remastered was announced at E3, but out of the conference.
Jak & Daxter ports were announced before E3 though, and I can't think of why they'd be at E3. Maybe it's a new game?
Have you thought the reason they didn't announce too much at E3 is precisely because of this, TGS, and PSX. It's clear they want to spread announcements throughout the year and regions, rather that just dumping everything at E3 (and having so much get lost in the noise).

I think he's full of shit The SotC remake had already been rumoured before he posted that, a lucky guess. Especially as he also mentioned TLOU2 which wasn't shown either.

I'd love to see a new Sly and J&D but it's simply not happening unfortunately. Hopefully Crash's success will encourage Sony to make more family-friendly games though. And hopefully the next Ratchet will be unveiled soon.

afaik he was the source of the SotC rumor

FelipeMGM

the rumor came from him, he is the one who told a gaffer privately about it.

He knows his stuff, he talked about Days Gone (at the time code named Dead Dont Ride) in 2014!

o_o

I was rolling my eyes everytime someone was asking about an european conference again. Poeple are really demanding sometimes, there is not so much conference-worthy announcements you can make every year. Having a big show in June (E3) and December (PSX) is the most balanced solution, and that's not couting TGS.

So I don't know what to expect from that Paris conference, but I guess this will be something very different from the AAA focused E3. Bring whatever you have, and yeah, it's WiLD time <3

Instead of having 3 big shows, they should've ignored PGW and instead focused on E3 and PSX. Both of those events were so good last year because they had a lot of stuff to show.

We don't know anything about PSX yet, but their showing at this year's E3 was quite underwhelming and with this announcement, I can see why.

Are they announcing new hardware??

If I remember correctly, the last time Sony asked us to 'save the date' was when they officially announced the PS4 Pro in New York.

Nestunt

PSX is too late for Christmas shopping and Sony is anticipating a strong Microsoft showing in Europe. It's logical to be responsive to the Marketing push of the One X.

RSchmitz

Because Europe is an important territory and not everything needs/should be announced during US based events.

Eh, I'm not in the US but I also think E3, TGS and PSX should be the focus. Otherwise they spread themselves too thin. PSX is held in a EU friendly time too.
Since I never attend these events I don't care where they are held, only the content itself matters.

El Topo

PSX is too late for Christmas shopping and Sony is anticipating a strong Microsoft showing in Europe. It's logical to be responsive to the Marketing push of the One X.

....what? I don't follow gaming all that much anymore, did I miss something?

Nestunt

....what? I don't follow gaming all that much anymore, did I miss something?

Didn't Microsoft state, after E3, that they still had some games to show at the European shows?

They have a strong (high) price in EU for Xbox One X, that much is sure.

You're right that price is one of the toughest propositions a marketeer has to deal with. But, sometimes, a strong message can superimpose that. I don't believe MS have the caché in the console market to pull that off, but I've seen weirder value propositions being subverted and consumers turned.

Rymuth

Didn't Microsoft stated, after E3, that they still had some games to show at the European shows?

If a strong association with FIFA and lower price couldn't help Xbox from suffering a 10:1 gap between it and PlayStation 4 in some EU countries as well almost zero presence in software charts, I'm not sure how you believe a more expensive box would suddenly undo all of that.

Top Bottom