• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sviri

Won't matter if there's no patch or whatever.

Praying for a Bloodborne update. No CA, 1080p, 60fps... godlike.

I really don't mind the CA, like at all... but I see a lot of people here that cannot stand it. But yes please 1080 60, and if not that then I hope they work some other magic.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Hopefully Sony enforces a neo update for all their first party games. Really hope tonget one for dark souls 3 as well.

Can't wait to play the order 1886 without those black bars on the screen. Just kidding I'll never play that game again.

Hopefully Sony enforces a neo update for all their first party games. Really hope tonget one for dark souls 3 as well.

I understand why people would want this to happen, but from Sony's standpoint would they really want their studios diverting resources to patch older games instead of pushing to complete the new ones? There are some obvious games that they'd want to be updates, but then there are others where i'm not sure it'd be worth it.

Ohhhhh, I just remembered. I hope we get a patch for Infamous: Second Son. I don't think it would be too tough.

Just allow the game to use Neo's power (instead of PS4 base mode like is rumored for most titles) so we can finally play it at 60FPS in the unlocked FPS mode the game already has.

t1473274800z1.png

200_s.gif

pottuvoi

Banned
"Detection" too. (i.e. determining what the actors can see and hear) What make FP16 better for pathfinding? Does GCN2 not support FP16 math?
It supports packing two fp16 values into fp32 register, but it doesn't support calculating using fp16 precision. (Math is always using fp32.)

sviri

It doesn't bother me really but I think it'd be better without.

Oh I see, maybe it's just me but I can't even imagine what it would look like without CA. Maybe if I had a comparison image it would be easier to visualize. I wonder if it's possible to de-CA a bloodborne image.

farisr

Ohhhhh, I just remembered. I hope we get a patch for Infamous: Second Son. I don't think it would be too tough.

Just allow the game to use Neo's power (instead of PS4 base mode like is rumored for most titles) so we can finally play it at 60FPS in the unlocked FPS mode the game already has.
Yeah, I mean if the base mode is going to be purposely restricting past ps4 games from accessing the extra power, I think Sony could at least go back to their older games and implement a barebones neo mode patch without much effort that allows the game code to have access to the extra power that could smooth out any performance issues they have.

There are plenty of people in the market that haven't bought a ps4 yet, and will consider the entire ps4 library before they do jump in. Having some of the older games run better on Neo will only make the system more appealing.

That being said, I hope Sony figured out a way to allow the regular ps4 games to have access to some extra power in base mode so we do see improvements in unpatched games.

How come no insider has leaked or talked about the Neo ? Not even teasing, the hype...?

The insiders that were initially talking about it have said that things have been completely quiet about it for months now. Sony seems to have plugged up all holes when it comes to info about the console.

wapplew

How come no insider has leaked or talked about the Neo ? Not even teasing, the hype...?

Because nothing worth to leak. Nothing change since the initial leaks.
Sony themselves not promoting the event. Standby for boring 1 hours of info we've already known.
NX leaks get more clicks anyway.

Yeah I think Sony somehow managed to lock this shit down for this one. Look at how quiet they themselves have been about the event.

I hope we get some sort of crazy reveal. Whether its a spec bump, a major new game announcement, or the Neo's rumored "secret feature". We are all expecting a 4.2 TF machine that can do some 4kish gaming. Hopefully there will be a surprise.

If it wasn't releasing this year, they would not be announcing it before the end of the year, nor would they have requirements by september and october specifically
People keep saying this, and ignoring the fact that around the same time that document was being written, Osiris was being told by Sony they were targeting Q1, and a couple of weeks after E3, he was told again by Sony they were still looking at Q1. Edit: And the PDF says final kits release is TBD, and we know devs still don't have them.

It supports packing two fp16 values into fp32 register, but it doesn't support calculating using fp16 precision. (Math is always using fp32.)
Oh, so it allows more efficient use of register space, leading to less thrashing and such? Thanks. <3

Oh, wait, are we talking about GCN2, GCN4, or both?

i've had a
cold
change of heart. maybe i'll buy the Ps4K.

sinister-otter-445x576.jpg

But seriously, I am not fully convinved myself, either. I want to see the games and how exactly they benefit from Neo mode before I decide. That's why it's important for me that hey show some games. Because, last time I checked, games like UC4 or the new GoW looked awesome on the old PS4.

People keep saying this, and ignoring the fact that around the same time that document was being written, Osiris was being told by Sony they were targeting Q1, and a couple of weeks after E3, he was told again by Sony they were still looking at Q1. Edit: And the PDF says final kits release is TBD, and we know devs still don't have them.

If that FoxConn worker is correct then the Neo has been in mass production since at least last month. For comparison, the PS4 entered mass production in September of 2013. It's hard to imagine that they're that far along and yet they aren't going to start selling the console until next year.

I'm basically the guy Sony straight up talked about when they were explaining Neo.

The quality of what Neo is capable of will directly impact where I get the majority of my 3rd party games for the rest of this generation. I have a pretty strong PC that can play games much better than the PS4, but I prefer console gaming. I could live with the difference up until Battlefield 1 Beta. It was just soooo much better on PC. If Sony can close that gap, even decently I'll still stick mostly the Playstation ecosystem.

So personally a lot is riding on this reveal for me.

takriel

I'm basically the guy Sony straight up talked about when they were explaining Neo.

The quality of what Neo is capable of will directly impact where I get the majority of my 3rd party games for the rest of this generation. I have a pretty strong PC that can play games much better than the PS4, but I prefer console gaming. I could live with the difference up until Battlefield 1 Beta. It was just soooo much better on PC. If Sony can close that gap, even decently I'll still stick mostly the Playstation ecosystem.

Steam Link. You're welcome :)

artsi

I also play a lot of Playstation-only games (JRPG's, exclusives, etc) but I also have a beefy gaming PC so I know how to appreciate graphics and performance. If Neo can give any more of those, I'm in.

FFXV alone is a reason to get Neo for me. Then I know there are games like Yakuza 6 coming soon which should get Neo support, and will benefit from it.

If that FoxConn worker is correct then the Neo has been in mass production since at least last month. For comparison, the PS4 entered mass production in September of 2013. It's hard to imagine that they're that far along and yet they aren't going to start selling the console until next year.

Besides, they don't need as much Neo consoles ready for launch as they did back in 2013 with OG PS4. It's a premium, hence niche product after all and won't even sell close as much units as OG PS4 back then.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

BF1 is running at 45 at worst for the most demanding modes, and 900p.

So with the jaguar upclock and the boost the GPU gives, that should really clean up all the rough spots of the PS4 and XB1 versions.

NEO is very lucky to not be considered its own unit, so it can use 100% of its power to improve already existing games developed with lower specs in mind. The differences between the two will show far more than if NEO had to stand on its own, cause devs would be pushing it just as hard as they are pushing PS4 and XB1 right now

Steam Link. You're welcome :)

Built micro-ATX rig and hooked it up to my TV via HDMI. I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard+touchpad and an xbox one wireless controller and it's been like a dream. 60 FPS everything on the big screen.

That said, I'll build mini-ITX next time, probably.

In any case, some PC games still do require some tinkering (looking at you, Samurai Warriors 4II... Had to do black magic to get my XO controller to work on it) so I'd absolutely take a strong console that could do 60 FPS in everything or, at the very, very least, any game with realtime action such as shooters, character action etc. Xenoblade X for instance plays just fine at 30, and I would assume FFXV would be fine at a locked 30 as well.

iratA

I've been saying it for a while now, but I still firmly believe PS4 Neo is not coming this year. I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong, and yes I'm aware of all of the leaks etc. But IMO there is just not enough space between this and PSVR. Launching these two high-end and high cost Playstation Products at nearly the same time seems like the biggest stretch ever.

Does no one remember the $599 controversy? People are going to think that they need the Neo for PSVR, if nothing else because they will be launching them so close together. These are completely different (yet compatible) eco-systems and making that distinction is very, very important. Not for GAF members but for Joe Public.

Not long to go now, but I suspect I won't be the one eating crow after September 7th. Neo will launch first quarter 2017! (Late Feb early March would be my guess)

Inuhanyou

I've been saying it for a while now, but I still firmly believe PS4 Neo is not coming this year. I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong, and yes I'm aware of all of the leaks etc. But IMO there is just not enough space between this and PSVR. Launching these two high-end and high cost Playstation Products at nearly the same time seems like the biggest stretch ever.

Does no one remember the $599 controversy? People are going to think that they need the Neo for PSVR, if nothing else because they will be launching them so close together. These are completely different (yet compatible) eco-systems and making that distinction is very, very important. Not for GAF members but for Joe Public.

Not long to go now, but I suspect I won't be the one eating crow after September 7th. Neo will launch first quarter 2017! (Late Feb early March would be my guess)

VR and NEO are not built for the same audience.

Inuhanyou

No? I would of called it the Enthusiast/Hardcore audience. How would you separate them?

People who want a stronger PS4, and people who want VR.

Regardless of when they come out, both of these things are going to be expensive as fuck. So its pointless to say that VR, which be sold in limited quantities anyway, would affect PSNEO, because most people are only going to buy one or the other regardless of when they are released, they aren't going to buy both at the same time.

iratA

People who want a stronger PS4, and people who want VR.

Regardless of when they come out, both of these things are going to be expensive as fuck. So its pointless to say that VR, which be sold in limited quantities anyway, would affect PSNEO, because most people are only going to buy one or the other regardless of when they are released, they aren't going to buy both at the same time.

To suggest there is NO overlap what-so-ever is disingenuous. Its not like Apple releasing the 5 and 5S where people will buy one or the other! They are by all accounts exceedingly compatible products.

Even If I Will be stuck with my 1080p tv until it breaks (wife hates the tv..)how do I know If the tv is capable of downscaling say 4K to 1080p? Guess a Neo would be a good choice for me If the tv can handle the downscale. An LG 55" from 2013 (cant remember the model name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom