• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

Oh yeah, they will probably will talk about PSVR.

It will probably be:
-Talk about overall PS4 sales/price cut

-Introduce NEO and few games/strategy going forward

-Show final things about PSVR and their strategy going forward with it

-We have more to share with you in the coming months

-End

They still have TGS, Paris games week and PSX to show off more games so I doubt they will go to deep with that at this meeting.

It sounds like you don't expect it to be released until early 2017.

The prevailing thought is, because Sony is revealing Neo in September they need to launch it this year, or risk hurting PS4 sales. I tend to agree with that.

The prevailing thought is, because Sony is revealing Neo in September they need to launch it this year, or risk hurting PS4 sales. I tend to agree with that.
Sorry, what I meant by that statement was more about future games and accessories they will introduce during future events, not the console itself. I believe that the console will release in October or November of this year.

Lady Gaia

I'd expect far more resolution experimentation through that 'reconstruction stuff', and AA improvements long before graphical asset tweaks, which would require a different level of investment to create from scratch.

There are lots of other graphical improvements that don't require recreating assets from scratch. Wide color gamut and HDR, deeper draw distance, shadows cast by more light sources, better lighting in general, more sophisticated ambient occlusion — none of these require reworking models or textures, just changes to the rendering pipeline. In most cases teams aim for more than they can achieve and have to back off, so a lot of these have at least been prototyped.

AmyS

Sorry, what I meant by that statement was more about future games and accessories they will introduce during future events, not the console itself. I believe that the console will release in October or November of this year.

Okay thanks for clarifying. I also think Sony will use other events to let people try Neo + PSVR hands-on.

Armadilo

Banned
Kinda actually feels as if it hasn't been announced , nothing from Playstation, just some websites. They have not started hyping this

Lucifon

There's no chance they announce a console in September which isn't out this year. It would be an idiotic move for moving stock over xmas. They're far more likely to push it out in time for xmas to get those sales.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Console has to release this fall if Sony are to meet their lofty goal of selling 20 million consoles this Fiscal year.

I expectit to release in late September or early October. I'll get over it if I'm wrong though. It certainly is interesting though how there have been zero leaks of the item in production, or anything in a while. Either they're doing a good job on keeping more things hush, or there isn't anything out there to be hush about.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda actually feels as if it hasn't been announced , nothing from Playstation, just some websites. They have not started hyping this
Hopefully Sony will put up a dedicated website sometime next week.

Theonik

I do wonder how reveals are going to happen going forward for Sony once the Neo is revealed. Are they going to show both versions or just put an asterisk at the start of a video (or end) to show that it's the Neo version?
It will always be Neo but they'll specify. I see no reason why you'd ever show PS4 footage. It will look worse, and you always want to show the best a certain version of the game can look.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
This is not happening. Sony is not trying to force their current customer base into upgrading. They make tons more money off of licensing fees and services then they do on hardware.

If Sony wasn't trying to force their current user base into upgrading, Neo wouldn't exist. Sony wants their entire user base to upgrade to Neo. Are they going to say that? Of course not but make no mistake about it, that's what they want and prefer.

As for Red Dead 3, my prediction probably won't happen but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Yes, Spider-Man has been in full development since at least October 2014 (right after Sunset Overdrive was finished) based off LinkedIn.

After Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac worked on Ratchet and Clank and is now working on Spider-Man. I have a hard time believing that they started full development over 18 months before E3 and all we get is a short cinematic trailer?

wapplew

There's no chance they announce a console in September which isn't out this year. It would be an idiotic move for moving stock over xmas. They're far more likely to push it out in time for xmas to get those sales.

Didn't seem like a problem for MS.

I feel Sony has been super low key in promoting their events lately, even stuff like E3 conference the last few years where they had the best shows they have ever done. I think they know the audience interested in Neo will tune in anyway and the real marketing push starts after.

Lady Gaia

If Sony wasn't trying to force their current user base into upgrading, Neo wouldn't exist.

There's a huge difference between trying to force everyone to move and offering an alternative to people who might consider another platform (whether it's PC, Xbox One S, Scorpio, or NX.) There is significant value in always having something "fresh" on the market to keep people interested in your ecosystem.

Sony has been good about supporting systems well into their lifespan, with some truly great titles coming at the end of prior generations (God of War on PS2 and The Last of Us on PS3.) They make money off software licenses, much more so than hardware sales, so anything that reaches an audience where they see licensing fees is fine by them.

After Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac worked on Ratchet and Clank and is now working on Spider-Man. I have a hard time believing that they started full development over 18 months before E3 and all we get is a short cinematic trailer?

Ratchet and Clank was a smaller team with limited scope, more of a movie tie-in than a studio-wide effort like Spider Man. The amount of information we get usually says more about how long it will be until the title is released, not how long it has been in production. A teaser like this says "expect more at E3 next year", and "not shipping before holiday 2017 at the earliest."

Toparaman

Banned
If they design a premium PS4 that cannot run UC4 in 60fps, they might as well cancel it.

I mean, I'm with you, I'd love a premium PS4 that plays everything at 60, even if it costs $599. I hate that I have to go PC route just to get 60fps.

Unfortunately, I think 75% of PS4 userbase doesn't give a rat's ass about framerate unless it gets into slideshow territory.

If Sony wasn't trying to force their current user base into upgrading, Neo wouldn't exist. Sony wants their entire user base to upgrade to Neo. Are they going to say that? Of course not but make no mistake about it, that's what they want and prefer.
There is absolutely nothing "forceful" about this. It exists as a premium console for more hardcore PS consumers that always want the latest hardware or newest thing, that's it.

Any consumer electronics business would love all their buyers to upgrade to their newest gadget but they know that's not realistic. Everybody knows that. It's there to serve people who WANT to have a higher end experience if it's available. I don't feel forced to upgrade to a Neo one bit.

Every game's development is different. Even if you think they began 18 months ago, it's not strange at all that 1.)They didn't feel comfortable showing gameplay to millions of eyes at the game's current state (perfectly understandable) or 2.)It wasn't needed at the time.

LordofPwn

PS4 price drop, maybe even a redesign.
Neo details: official name, price, release date, and specs.
Games: 2 new titles, and some existing titles with "neo" mode.

Commitment to not segment players.

Other Playstation initiatives.

PSVR launch lineup.

Strategically I say they have 2 options:
1.) release Neo as is per leaked specs at current PS4 price
2.) upgrade specs to be closer to Scorpio, release in spring.

I think they have a wild card Deep in their pockets to overall impress people. I also think people will be talking more about their show than Apples by the next morning. I could be Dead wrong though.

I just want them to announce HBO Now for my PS4. That's where the bar is set for me.

Metfanant

I mean, I'm with you, I'd love a premium PS4 that plays everything at 60, even if it costs $599. I hate that I have to go PC route just to get 60fps.
they could release a 10tf console on September 7th and you're still going to have 30fps games...framerate is a developer choice...period...

I feel Sony has been super low key in promoting their events lately, even stuff like E3 conference the last few years where they had the best shows they have ever done. I think they know the audience interested in Neo will tune in anyway and the real marketing push starts after.

Trying to read into Sony pre-event hype is a flawed practice. They practically do not promote or hype up their non-PSX events at all, and PSX has the caveat where they're selling tickets, so it's a more product-driven pitch. Their PSX hype shouldn't be seen as "we have the biggest megatons here because we're selling it harder than E3" but rather "we have a cool event, buy this ticket to join us!"

they could release a 10tf console on September 7th and you're still going to have 30fps games...framerate is a developer choice...period...

Amen.

If I had any art skills I'd make a graphic of a big jug labelled "console power", then beside it a bunch of glasses each labeled, "FPS", "Resolution "," Effects " etc....

Up to the developers where they want to put the juice.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There are lots of other graphical improvements that don't require recreating assets from scratch. Wide color gamut and HDR, deeper draw distance, shadows cast by more light sources, better lighting in general, more sophisticated ambient occlusion — none of these require reworking models or textures, just changes to the rendering pipeline. In most cases teams aim for more than they can achieve and have to back off, so a lot of these have at least been prototyped.

Your absolutely right. Very smart response. I wish i could give reputation points on this site

DKHF

They were already working on Ratchet for a while before Sunset Overdrive came out (Ratchet was announced at E3 2014 months before Sunset came out). The director Bryan Intihar also didn't work on Ratchet and has been working on this since Sunset Overdrive. The Insomniac community manager has said they don't really have a specific team for a specific game usually, the studio is spread out working on multiple projects. But that most of Insomniac is working on this game. And as Lady Gaia said, the amount they showed says more about the game not releasing for over a year rather than how long the project has been in production.

DKHF

Hope we'll see kh3 and ffviir
I definitely don't think we'll see KH but I think FFVIIR has a small chance of appearing because it's so heavily tied to PS4, it's been a long time since we've seen it and FFXV has been pushed back to almost December so doesn't necessarily need the full spotlight in early September anymore.

And before someone mentions the Nomura quote about not showing more before 2.8 and WoFF, when he was asked about them doing something for FFVII's anniversary (not necessarily them showing more of the game in general) he said he personally wanted to wait to release more info about that until after 2.8 and WoFF are done. So I think it's possible.

Inuhanyou

With what we know, is this thing going to be worth an upgrade if I don't care about 4k?

Yeah. Its gonna give you far more stable performance and visual quality from your games. 4K is just the selling point, 4K media, 4Kish games ect. I expect it to be 399 and a steal.

Didn't seem like a problem for MS.

MS did it for sure but it seemed like a laughably bad reveal to me. Like a video directly trying to address the concerns of "GAF/Internet", but one that doesn't actually do anything to address their larger problems.

Maybe it's cause I'm not part of the Xbox ecosystem anymore so I wasn't impressed? But I literally laughed while watching the reveal. A superfluous PR piece a year out before release that gives a bunch of vague snippets.

But the realest pixels I guess, or something...

Microsoft trying to take shine away from Neo with their vague E3 announcement. Talking about a true 4K experience but not all games will be required to run in 4K Lol

Do you care about improved graphics/performance? If no, then maybe not? If yes, then maybe?

It really depends on the pricing and the scale of improvement from vanilla PS4.

Yeah. Its gonna give you far more stable performance and visual quality from your games. 4K is just the selling point, 4K media, 4Kish games ect. I expect it to be 399 and a steal.

Oh, definitely would want improved effects and especially frame rate(would take that over anything). What I wouldn't like is if you just get a minor graphics boost and the majority of horsepower is pushing 4k

Inuhanyou

Oh, definitely would want improved effects and especially frame rate(would take that over anything). What I wouldn't like is if you just get a minor graphics boost and the majority of horsepower is pushing 4k

Well, whether or not graphics considerably get boosted depends on the game i think. Most devs are not going to work to make two different sets of assets for both versions. I'd mostly expect a significant refinement of the core PS4 experience than an actual generational esque leap in experience.

I wish they never committed to that shitty ass cpu in the first place. It'll probably be the main reason if we don't get certain games at 60fps. You guys think that moving from the Jaguar for Neo would have had an effect on the systems' ability to play the same games?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they never committed to that shitty ass cpu in the first place. It'll probably be the main reason if we don't get certain games at 60fps. You guys think that moving from the Jaguar for Neo would have had an effect on the systems' ability to play the same games?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I've generally heard that CPU changes make a bigger difference with compatibility than GPU ones. But that could be complete nonsense.

What would you expect them to change the CPU to?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I've generally heard that CPU changes make a bigger difference with compatibility than GPU ones. But that could be complete gibberish.

What would you expect them to change to?

Intel i7 6790k so I can run youtube and a game at the same time on my new Ultra HD 4K TV.

wapplew

AMD don't have any better solution at the price at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom