• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one likes my console of choice design...
Birdman-Breakfast-Club.png
hshahahaha was pretty fugly man...

When have consoles ever seen a major spec upgrade from the previously leaked specs. Like never?

The PS4 RAM amount upgrade doesn't really count as that was largely trivial from a technical perspective.

It would be nice if it happens but I cant see it.

delSai

One or two at most imo. I am expecting we will just see more/new footage of games already announced with before and after comparisons. Stuff like that.

That would be good enough for me. Not interested in the Hardware, but since this doesn't take place all too late for us Euros, i guess i'll check it out.

Hexa

When have consoles ever seen a major spec upgrade from the previously leaked specs. Like never?

The PS4 RAM amount upgrade doesn't really count as that was largely trivial from a technical perspective.

They weren't leaked, but the PS3 went from not having a GPU in the original dev kits to having one, which is a pretty major upgrade. It resulted in a year long delay though.

More recently Xbox One got a CPU clock boost in final over original leaks.

I'm sure Rockstar could be persuaded with an envelope stuffed with local currency. :)

Around E3, there was a rumour that the planned Red Dead demo was dropped from the Sony conference because of the Florida night club attack, that had just happened. If is rumour is true, then I could believe R* will show the game of at the event on the 7th.

The potential of a new Red Dead has me more excited than the reveal of the Neo to be honest.

vpance

10lbs 3cm taller. All you need to know.

These were the games revealed 3 years ago.

Knack (Japan Studio)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (Guerilla Studios)
Driveclub (Evolution Studios)
Infamous: Second Son (Sucker Punch)
The Witness (Jonathan Blow)
Deep Down (working title from Capcom)
A new Final Fantasy title from Square Enix
Diablo III (Blizzard Entertainment)
Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
Destiny (Bungie)

Sony knows business these days. They would be really foolish to not have any new game announcements.

BreakAtmo

Around E3, there was a rumour that the planned Red Dead demo was dropped from the Sony conference because of the Florida night club attack, that had just happened. If is rumour is true, then I could believe R* will show the game of at the event on the 7th.

The potential of a new Red Dead has me more excited than the reveal of the Neo to be honest.

FWIW Adam Boyes shut down that rumour, explicitly saying that the whole thing had been set in stone for months.

They weren't leaked, but the PS3 went from not having a GPU in the original dev kits to having one, which is a pretty major upgrade. It resulted in a year long delay though.

More recently Xbox One got a CPU clock boost in final over original leaks.

Yeah but the PS3 was just a dumb design all around, and they realised the system would be useless without a dedicated GPU. I think initially they planned to use 2 Cells (lol).

The XB1's clock boost was miniscule, and barely changed the teraflop number.

With Neo people are hoping for a new CPU, which would require an APU redesign. You can't just do that in 5 minutes. Unless they already had a 'plan b' in testing.

Or a major teraflop increase via a huge clock increase. That's technically doable with the Neo's 480 equivalent, but the power and heat profile would be wildly different. Making that work in a console sized box, and with power regulations etc might be a bit much.

Final option for more teraflops is an increase in CU count, which again requires an entirely new APU.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
10lbs 3cm taller. All you need to know.

If accurate yeah. Though, I think I recently read some old info somewhere which was worded oddly about Neo and PSVR. It really wasn't clear about what the relation was specifically in regard to Neo.

I'm sure Rockstar could be persuaded with an envelope stuffed with local currency. :)

GTA V made a $1bn in 3 days.
I think more than a brown envelope with cash would be needed to convince them to reveal their own highly anticipated game ;)

I think that bogus E3 R* rumour has sent people for a loop

kennyamr

These were the games revealed 3 years ago.

Knack (Japan Studio)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (Guerilla Studios)
Driveclub (Evolution Studios)
Infamous: Second Son (Sucker Punch)
The Witness (Jonathan Blow)
Deep Down (working title from Capcom)
A new Final Fantasy title from Square Enix
Diablo III (Blizzard Entertainment)
Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
Destiny (Bungie)

Sony knows business these days. They would be really foolish to not have any new game announcements.
This time around they have PSX coming soon after so they won't show anything new, I believe.

Their time is already limited between PSVR, the Slim, and Neo + other details.

What they can do is showing already released games or soon to be released ones like FFXV. That should probably be enough for people to understand how much better Neo is.

This time around they have PSX coming soon after so they won't show anything new, I believe.
Their time is already limited between PSVR, the Slim, and Neo + other details.
What they can do is show already released games or soon to be released ones like FFXV. That should probably be enough for people to understand how much better Neo is.

PSX will be fine. I'd expect to see more of what's announced here and some smaller titles at that event. This event is a showcase for Neo. You don't hold back for something that'll be in December.

The slim will not require much time at all. It is a revision. PSVR will get some time. But not much. Likely a sizzle reel and some discussion of upcoming titles. This event is about Neo

Acknowledged, yes. Announced, no.

To be honest, I think the only reason they haven't "announced" it yet is because they want to have that "Apple style available now" announcement.

"Acknowledging" the Neo was them basically announcing the thing while still being able to say that they technically didn't, so they'll be launching it right after the real announcement.

Neo was announced by Sony before E3.

I guess technically, they just confirmed it exists and then said they weren't talking about it. Doesn't change the fact that it would be crazy to think PS VR is exclusive to it when we don't even know when it's coming out or what it looks like and PS VR comes out in a month and a half.

I guess technically, they just confirmed it exists and then said they weren't talking about it. Doesn't change the fact that it would be crazy to think PS VR is exclusive to it when we don't even know when it's coming out or what it looks like and PS VR comes out in a month and a half.

VR isn't exclusive to it. The games will just look a lot nicer on Neo.

Rockstars new game would be a nice showing. It's not really their style though and they are too cool these days to feel the need to hang on to the coattails of a platform holder. They just silently upload a new trailer to Youtube and the world goes mad lol.

Having said that, the PS4 is dominant so they may do.

FelipeMGM

Source? Have they given any indication this won't just be a hardware meeting?

Just think about it, have they ever made an event this gen without new software talk attached to hardware stuff?

Even their PSVR GDC price talk had a game reveal (Battlefront X Wing VR Mission)

Midas

Sony really needs to be clear with everything during this presentation, I mean we got GAF users asking if PS VR will work without Neo...

orochi91

I wouldn't mind if they sacrificed PSX this year and opted to go all out during the NEO conference instead.

Could be another E3 caliber event.

I'm not counting on Scorpio to have Zen, especially if Neo doesn't either. But on the other hand I'm not sure how they're gonna feed their GPU, as I'm already having doubts on the Neo's CPU being able to do that for its own GPU.

Does this mean you expect Sony's engineers to bottleneck their hardware?

Come on.

DavidDesu

Hopefully they'll also be clear on how much of a benefit it is/isn't to PS VR.

Yeah it's a tricky tightrope they'll have to walk to big up the new console but not belittle the current PS4 either. It makes me wonder if they'll even really talk about the improvements to graphics as much as we all expect, with side by side comparisons etc. If comparisons look really great doesn't it not also devalue the current PS4 in the same breath? I'm really curious to see how they tackle all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom