• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthet1c

All I need is it make regular PS4 games look better and to not sound like a jet engine.

Give me that Sony and I will gladly pay up to $500.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
All I need is it make regular PS4 games look better and to not sound like a jet engine.

Give me that Sony and I will gladly pay up to $500.

First part isn't likely happening as they'll run in base mode if leaked docs stand true. Second part, well, who knows.

Gator86

I'm hyped.

Kind of hoping for the following to come along with the confirmation of the circulating specs of the Neo:

- At least one USB port on the back that functions exactly like the two on the front, would love to discreetly keep my controller charging dock hidden from the face of the console
- Much quieter cooling solution
- 2TB STANDARD hard drive, not just apparently limited launch run like the Xbox One S
- A controller refresh (fully compatible with existing PS4s, but perhaps debuting simultaneously with Neo) -- not like a complete overhaul or anything, as I quite like the core ergonomics, but maybe something more along the lines of better battery and some slight adjustments -- for instance, rubberized gripping in the back and sturdier, "grippier" thumb sticks, just some iterative user comfort and practical design changes
- white color, I know this is a contested and subjective view and I don't mind offering both black AND white SKUs, but I love my 2014 Destiny PS4 (pure white) and in general like my electronics in white, so I'm really hoping Neo is launching with a white option, and pure matte design -- glossy is terrible, though I know new iteration PS4s are all matte
- speaking of new PS4 iteration, please have actual buttons for all the console controls -- capacitive touch is overrated, like gloss finish -- hoping they don't revert on either with the Neo
- day 1 updates for a few popular titles to take advantage of Neo spec computing power boost, specifically would like to see what kind of potential improvements that Naughty Dog was able to make with Uncharted 4

Agreed with all of this but the white console. Everything in my entertainment center is black and a white console would clash like crazy and stand out too much when I just want everything not my TV screen to blend in and disappear.

Moreche

When you look at the PSVR breakout box, the design is similar to PS4, surely that means Neo is similar in design also or the box will be included in the Neo if the Neo design will be different.
I'm really hoping for a new design. Also any game released in the last four months should have a Neo upgrade, I hope.
I have my money for Neo and PSVR waiting Sony so please don't disappoint.

wapplew

When you look at the PSVR breakout box, the design is similar to PS4, surely that means Neo is similar in design also or the box will be included in the Neo if the Neo design will be different.
I'm really hoping for a new design.

I read somewhere someone who claim working at Foxconn said the design is similar, a little smaller, PS logo move to the center back in June.
He update recently say another model start production, about 3cm thicker than PS4.
Take it with a grain of salt thou.

Venom Fox

Banned
I'm really hoping for a new design. Also any game released in the last four months should have a Neo upgrade, I hope.
Yeah I'm expecting a slightly bigger but still angular design. They've already said any game released after September needs to have a mandatory Neo mode.

sense

I still have my crazy theory that valve and Sony will announce some sort of partnership. Unified friends list for coop games, steam link support integrated in neo. Ps now on PC is supposedly happening as well. maybe neo will have vita tv integrated as well.

Venom Fox

Banned
Anyone think this upgrade could match graphics of gtx980 or atleast gtx970?
Who knows? Hopefully it gets close but we will have to wait and see.

I doubt it will tbh. I think someone said in Osirisblacks thread that, it should sit somewhere between 970 and 980. The amount of rumours floating around means nobody 100% knows how powerful it'll be.

wapplew

I doubt it will tbh. I think someone said in Osirisblacks thread that, it should sit somewhere between 970 and 980. The amount of rumours floating around means nobody 100% knows how powerful it'll be.

I hope it can get close to 5TF, because most game can run ultra setting at 1080p 60fps with a 5TF card, which means in 1080, Neo and Scorpio will look and perform similar.
4.2TF is fine thou, maybe drop to high setting.

icespide

Banned
Guys, remember that this is a "premium" product. Don't set up yourself for disappointment. Except > $ 400.
Andrew house used the word premium once in an interview. people get too hung up on it. it will only be "premium" in that it's more expensive than the PS4. $399 max

Tarnpanzer

Anyone think this upgrade could match graphics of gtx980 or atleast gtx970?

Neo ist rumored to have 4.2TF of gpu-power. 970 is ~3.9TF, 980 is ~5TF.

Guys, remember that this is a "premium" product. Don't set up yourself for disappointment. Except > $ 400.

A 2.1GHz Jaguar and a 4.2TF GPU should not cost more that 400$. If Sony cranks up the power, they can demand more cash, no problem. But I doubt Sony will do that.

UpwindPoet24

Neo Member
No, it looks different. Different design.

geordiemp

I read somewhere someone who claim working at Foxconn said the design is similar, a little smaller, PS logo move to the center back in June.
He update recently say another model start production, about 3cm thicker than PS4.

3cm thicker may allow for much bigger hard drive than the measly 9.5 mm space at the moment.

It would make sense for the Neo to allow much larger HDD.

My 2 TB filled 2 months ago, I have to delete and re-install games now which is not a premium feature...

Midas

A 2.1GHz Jaguar and a 4.2TF GPU should not cost more that 400$. If Sony cranks up the power, they can demand more cash, no problem. But I doubt Sony will do that.

What things should or ought to be is a different thing than reality. We'll see. I think it'll be at least $449. I'm gladly proven wrong come September 7th, but something resembling a gut feeling tells me that it will be more than $399. A higher price point for the release also make it easier to lower the price, giving it that artificial value when the price drops in time for Scorpio.

sense

Andrew house used the word premium once in an interview. people get too hung up on it. it will only be "premium" in that it's more expensive than the PS4. $399 max
I think at launch they will do a lot of bundles for 449 or 499 with a bunch of neo enhanced games packed in alongside a new game but I agree they might announce 399 as the standalone to make headlines and release limited quantities for it or release it at a later period.

Dovahking

What things should or ought to be is a different thing than reality. We'll see. I think it'll be at least $449. I'm gladly proven wrong come September 7th, but something resembling a gut feeling tells me that it will be more than $399. A higher price point for the release also make it easier to lower the price, giving it that artificial value when the price drops in time for Scorpio.

Yep. I think $449/499 at launch is a safe bet.

Lady Gaia

All of the leaked specs suggest power draw comparable to or even higher than the launch PS4. A slightly larger case wouldn't be surprising, and I don't think quieter is necessarily in the cards. As for premium pricing? It's designed to sell alongside PS4 so it won't be aggressively priced this holiday. I'd believe anything from $400-$500 with a price drop in time for Scorpio's launch next year.

wapplew

3cm thicker may allow for much bigger hard drive than the measly 9.5 mm space at the moment.

It would make sense for the Neo to allow much larger HDD.

My 2 TB filled 2 months ago, I have to delete and re-install games now which is not a premium feature...

3cm is a lot thicker, almost Xbox one territory, it won't be sexy.

Kickz

Nice, will it improve looks of older games kind of like on PC

All of the leaked specs suggest power draw comparable to or even higher than the launch PS4. A slightly larger case wouldn't be surprising, and I don't think quieter is necessarily in the cards. As for premium pricing? It's designed to sell alongside PS4 so it won't be aggressively priced this holiday. I'd believe anything from $400-$500 with a price drop in time for Scorpio's launch next year.

Sony should be ashamed of themselves if the Neo is as loud as the PS4. Mine sounds like a hairdryer when playing Uncharted 4, thats not hyperbole, its awful and it needs to be fixed.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gonna be console-less after this week. plan on selling the ps4.

I hope sony has quick turnaround for the announcement and doesnt wait until December/January for neo.

Just judging by Andrew House's comments to date, I don't think they see rolling generations happening like this. They still seem to believe in the model of a fixed software generation, within which we might have a couple of hardware iterations.

That being the case, Neo won't be a PS4 that turns into a PS5, dropping the first PS4 out of the equation. It'll always just be a PS4. The next compatibility step will be the first PS5 model, whenever that comes, which will leave both the original PS4 and Neo behind.

All that said, I think Sony (and Microsoft) are still figuring out what might happen in the future, so maybe that could change. But right now it doesn't sound like it's on the cards, that the software cycle will hop along to straddle a window of hardware models at a given time. If they see Neo like that - as a PS4 iteration rather than a potential PS5 entry model - then I think it and the first PS4 will always play the same software.

Perhaps. I think it's likely that we'll see games that only run on Neo and whatever the next model is, though.

ethomaz

Banned
Yup...I think Sony ups the Ram to 10GB
4.5TF GPU and CPU stays Roughly the same.

I think MS are going bigger because they have less to lose. X1 is essentially expendable if everyone upgrades to Scropio. Sony can't afford that with 50 million owners of PS4.

For the rest of the gen, the leaked specs will be just fine, and Sony can go big again in 2020 with PS5. MS on the other hand, well I dunno if they will have trouble selling another Xbox soon after, market might respond well to both.
10GB is not possible.

I have seen this before and asked if that is even possible. I believe the options would be 12GB and switch to a 384 bit bus or go 16 1GB chips on the current 256 bit bus?
This or 12GB @ 384bits or 16GB @ 256bits.

The actual possible RAM number are:

256bits: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
384bits: 3GB, 6GB, 12GB, 24GB

Unless they released a new 12Gb GDDR5 module.... let's me check.

Edit - Nope... the max capacity is 8Gb... so these are the actual possible RAM size that Sony can use.

I am willing to take the higher clocked jaguar and the 4.2 t-flops at 399. If they put in a 2tb drive, I would pay 499.

I don't see the NEO coming with less than 1Tb therefore I can't justify a 1Tb upgrade for $100. You can get a 2Tb 9.5mm for <$100 as a consumer so I'd hope sony can get them for much less in bulk.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I don't see the NEO coming with less than 1Tb therefore I can't justify a 1Tb upgrade for $100. You can get a 2Tb 9.5mm for <$100 as a consumer so I'd hope sony can get them for much less in bulk.

I thought the leaked docs or some statement were along the lines as same HDD as PS4. No?

THE:MILKMAN

10GB is not possible.

This or 12GB @ 384bits or 16GB @ 256bits.

The actual possible RAM number are:

256bits: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
384bits: 3GB, 6GB, 12GB, 24GB

Unless they released a new 12Gb GDDR5 module.... let's me check.

Edit - Nope... the max capacity is 8Gb... so these are the actual possible RAM size that Sony can use.

Cheers. This is how I understood the RAM situation. For me the only feasible one out all of them is 16GB and I can't really see that Neo would need that much but if devs really are struggling Sony just might push the boat out.

I still think it more likely they would just try to free more RAM from the OS, though.

Theonik

Cheers. This is how I understood the RAM situation. For me the only feasible one out all of them is 16GB and I can't really see that Neo would need that much but if devs really are struggling Sony just might push the boat out.

I still think it more likely they would just try to free more RAM from the OS, though.
The rumoured specs had an extra 500MB freed from the OS. Sony could add more RAM though if they wished, though there is plenty reserved for the OS so they can get it by just sacrificing future features if they don't want to shell for more RAM chips.

Compatible and ecosystem become too big to fail, too big to change. That's console manufacture want but I don't think it's good for me.
"What I really don't like about PlayStation is that it's almost too good."

You can leave the ecosystem any time you like, you know. No need to look to forced incompatibility to provide you with a periodic excuse. ;p

I hope you can stop being so overbearing about Zen and NEO including it when it doesn't happen Server >_>
<3
Screenshot%202016-08-21%2011.15.49.png

I would say its pretty likely that PS5 is going to be prioritized with BC.
Again, compatibility with what?? ><

Just been re-reading posts from the various Neo threads over the last few months and there are some potentially really interesting tidbits.

Minor CPU/GPU clock bumps/more RAM are a real possibility but the one that sticks out for me is a 'significant feature' that hasn't been leaked yet. I wonder what this could be?

Extra dedicated chips to off-load from CPU/GPU making it more powerful than the headline specs?
PSVR breakout box built-in?
Sony
"stealing" Nintendo's NX concept and beating them to the punch
? (this would kill GAF and the internet)

Anyone else got any ideas on what this feature could be?
Maybe the chip that uprenders everything to 4k for free?

Vita Phone built on K12

Slim and Neo? 3cm thicker is a 60% increase in volume; must be pretty warm in there…

Gator86

Putting zero stock in this, but I'd take a considerable size increase in exchange for reliability and quiet. I actually love the XBone hardware. It's fucking silent at all times.

Yeah I can definitely see Sony pricing it in the $400 to $500 range depending on specs.

Drop the price one year later before Scorpio launches lol

paolo11

Nice. Power seems like a 980m if that is the case or more powerful. Guaranteed it will play games on 1080p 60FPS but not on ultra settings.

With mix settings, it is possible it can run Witcher 3 1080p 60FPS. I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom