• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAMARMO

Banned
UPDATE:

NoD5WXh.jpg

That small PS4 is going to be even more loud than the current PS4 lol and obviously that cell phone has a camera, why do people never take videos to prove they have the real thing and instead of taking pictures. bleh

As controversial as it may be, I do want the Neo to have Neo exclusive that can't be played on the regular PS4. I want games to take full advantage of the new system specs

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That rumored slim PS4 looks horrible to me for some odd reason. It will be funny if the announce and show off a slim but don't show Neo. LOL.

onQ123

Given the game needs to be ported to multiple formats the baseline is set by consoles, hampering what PC can do with extra whoomph

If PC games are being held back by the weak CPUs of the PS4 & Xbox One why would they waste money & cause heat problems & make the Neo bigger & more expensive trying to put a bigger better CPU in it just to play the same games?

So people want this bigger better CPU but no one know what they want it for?

AmyS

Just 2.5 weeks to go.

What if any, are the latest rumors about Neo since Friday?

I got home a couple hours ago from spending the weekend downtown for the Chicago Air & Water Show. Been out of the loop, no pun intended

DieH@rd

Banned
Just 2.5 weeks to go.

What if any, are the latest rumors about Neo since Friday?

I got home a couple hours ago from spending the weekend downtown for the Chicago Air & Water Show. Been out of the loop, no pun intended

- Many people are now discovering that weeks old Chinese forum leak that talked about 3 new Playstation production lines at Foxcon [for Slim, Neo and "PSP-like" device].

- PS4 Slim leaked few hours ago.

- Many people are now discovering that weeks old Chinese forum leak that talked about 3 new Playstation production lines at Foxcon [for Slim, Neo and "PSP-like" device].

Oh, that's a thing too? Then yeah, that'll be AMD's ARM win, which should be K12. Hopefully it's a phone too, so people actually buy it.

AmyS

Thanks. I forgot about the weeks old Chinese forum leak about 3 new PlayStation production lines.

September is going to be incredible, even if it's just about Neo.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As controversial as it may be, I do want the Neo to have Neo exclusive that can't be played on the regular PS4. I want games to take full advantage of the new system specs

Gonna have to wait for PS5 my friend.

The gap between PS4 and NEO technology wise is not large enough to be worth splitting the userbases to take advantage of said hardware exclusively

Gonna have to wait for PS5 my friend.

The gap between PS4 and NEO technology wise is not large enough to be worth splitting the userbases to take advantage of said hardware exclusively

Even if it was large enough you simply don't leave a relatively new 40 million plus user base behind. It would be financial suicide.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks. I forgot about the weeks old Chinese forum leak about 3 new PlayStation production lines.

September is going to be incredible, even if it's just about Neo.

Just be prepared for Neo to come out in early 2017. That's always a possibility.

What do people think the Neo will actually be called?
It won't be called Neo, that's for sure.

PS4 had a codename Orbis
Vita was NGP
PSVR was Morpheus

Neo will most likely be called PS4K.

Dredd97

Just be prepared for Neo to come out in early 2017. That's always a possibility.

PS4 had a codename Orbis
Vita was NGP
PSVR was Morpheus

I'm expecting PS4 Prime :)

PS4 had a codename Orbis
Vita was NGP
PSVR was Morpheus

The number of pictures of the PS4 Slim released from different angles makes me believe it is real and others have speculated it's coming this holiday season. Sony started generic "Playstation 4" advertising in China two months ago for family casual games (Grandma was playing).

If NEO is called PS4K, what will the PS4 slim be called? We started with rumors of PS4K and PS4.5K, are these not better descriptors for the Slim and NEO? We have never had a situation like this where Game consoles of the same family have different specs. So far the differences are or may be:

2013 PS4 1.8 TF Launch model WiFi G,N (may or may not support UHD)
2015 PS4 1.8 TF Upgraded Southbridge WiFi G,N (may or may not support UHD)
2016 PS4 Slim 1.8+ New WiFI AC? UHD Capable?
2016 PS4 NEO 4.2 TF New WiFi AC? UHD Capable?

This will not create problems with games (Linkedin cite of a AMD employee testing backward compatibility for three different chipsets which we now should believe are the XB1 Slim, PS4 Slim and PS4 NEO) but what about Media like HD and UHD blu-ray disks. How will consumers know before buying a PS4 if it supports UHD blu-ray? The "K" or something in the model name should indicate this unless they are all UHD capable but then what about the NEO with twice the GPU power, it should have a unique name too.

The pictures of the PS4 Slim do not have a UHD Blu-ray logo. Does this mean only the NEO going forward is UHD capable and the 2016 Slim is just a cheaper version of the Launch PS4 without the new WiFi or UHD capability? Should the new WiFi radio be indicated in a model number that is consumer friendly?

The website efficientgaming.EU, an official website that publishes Microsoft, Sony and Government papers indicating the energy efficiency of the Game Consoles, call the XB1 and PS4 UHD Capable but one paper from Microsoft and Penello of Microsoft confirm the 2013 XB1 is only HD capable. There is confusion even with "Professionals" on what to call the game consoles.

The Sony CTO interview in 2012 on coming game console technology covered technology from 2013 to 2019 without, in hindsight, indicating different Models. I think we can now take from that interview that all he mentioned is coming for the PS4 over it's life in an Apple like manner.

"the main SoC for the incoming console is likely to be a 3D stack incorporating thru-silicon-via technology and could be the first $1bn hardware design project." (2019 Navi)

"Sony will be looking at a number of years and revs of the machine's insides." (We can now understand this line - Apple model release.)

“You always want ‘perfect’ technologies but there are none. So, you look at what is available and try to get as close as possible to that goal. Even then, some of the things that we want are still five years away.” “For the haptics and the very advanced graphics, we are talking about those five years at least,” Tsuruta-san says.

He describes the architecture in broad terms: "You are talking about powerful CPU and GPU with extra DSP and programmable logic." (Xtensa DSP has programmable logic before tapeout.)

This, and Sony's target of no more than 50ms latency even for 8k x 4k resolution at 300fps, clearly points to the need for a highly integrated TSV-based package - and so far TSV has stuttered in manufacturing for anything other than the stacking of like-on-like, typically memories. (Gives us 2019 PS4 Navi specs for Media)

For online and other features, we are also thinking of a simpler approach to a Linux-type environment than on the PlayStation 3," he says. (Similar to Gnome Mobile Initiative)

it will up support (and, importantly, security) for online features. (Trustzone TEE and TMP 2.0)

Author's article speculation: Will the next generation PlayStation simply be a gaming console. Perhaps at launch, that will be its main selling point. But with Sony's commitment to a radically evolving machine - in part, surely a response to how the Kinect 'refreshed' the Xbox 360 five years after its launch - the roadmap describes a more fully-fledged virtual reality machine,
How did we miss this? Sony's commitment to a radically evolving machine -

Glasshole

Banned
The number of pictures of the PS4 Slim released from different angles makes me believe it is real and others have speculated it's coming this holiday season. Sony started generic "Playstation 4" advertising in China two months ago for family casual games (Grandma was playing).

If NEO is called PS4K, what will the PS4 slim be called? We started with rumors of PS4K and PS4.5K, are these not better descriptors for the Slim and NEO? We have never had a situation like this where Game consoles of the same family have different specs. So far the differences are or may be:

2013 PS4 1.8 TF Launch model WiFi G,N (may or may not support UHD)
2015 PS4 1.8 TF Upgraded Southbridge WiFi G,N (may or may not support UHD)
2016 PS4 Slim 1.8+ New WiFI AC? UHD Capable?
2016 PS4 NEO 4.2 TF New WiFi AC? UHD Capable?

This will not create problems with games (Linkedin cite of a AMD employee testing backward compatibility for three different chipsets which we now should believe are the XB1 Slim, PS4 Slim and PS4 NEO) but what about Media like HD and UHD blu-ray disks. How will consumers know before buying a PS4 if it supports UHD blu-ray? The "K" or something in the model name should indicate this unless they are all UHD capable but then what about the NEO with twice the GPU power, it should have a unique name too.

The pictures of the PS4 Slim do not have a UHD Blu-ray logo. Does this mean only the NEO going forward is UHD capable and the 2016 Slim is just a cheaper version of the Launch PS4 without the new WiFi or UHD capability? Should the new WiFi radio be indicated in a model number that is consumer friendly?

The website efficientgaming.EU, an official website that publishes Microsoft, Sony and Government papers indicating the energy efficiency of the Game Consoles, call the XB1 and PS4 UHD Capable but one paper from Microsoft and Penello of Microsoft confirm the 2013 XB1 is only HD capable. There is confusion even with "Professionals" on what to call the game consoles.

The Sony CTO interview in 2012 on coming game console technology covered technology from 2013 to 2019 without, in hindsight, indicating different Models. I think we can now take from that interview that all he mentioned is coming for the PS4 over it's life in an Apple like manner.

How did we miss this? Sony's commitment to a radically evolving machine -

Huge wall of text for... things that have been known for quite some time now?

Also, to answer your questions in a simple manner: All slim consoles were named like their OG versions. So the PS4 Slim will be called PS4. The Neo, however, will have a more distinctive name, something along the lines of "PS4 Plus", and most probably not PS4K, since that name is a marketing disaster waiting to happen.

Also, "Should the new WiFi radio be indicated in a model number that is consumer friendly?"... what? Wait a second... what? A model number that indicates a new wifi radio?

Maybe I'm missing the point here and I'm being rude, but where exactly is your point after all that text?

EDIT: Nevermind. Checked your thread history. Didn't know you were known on GAF for incomprehensible ramblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom