• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge wall of text for... things that have been known for quite some time now?

Also, to answer your questions in a simple manner: All slim consoles were named like their OG versions. So the PS4 Slim will be called PS4. The Neo, however, will have a more distinctive name, something along the lines of "PS4 Plus", and most probably not PS4K, since that name is a marketing disaster waiting to happen.

Also, "Should the new WiFi radio be indicated in a model number that is consumer friendly?"... what? Wait a second... what? A model number that indicates a new wifi radio?

Maybe I'm missing the point here and I'm being rude, but where exactly is your point after all that text?

EDIT: Nevermind. Checked your thread history. Didn't know you were known on GAF for incomprehensible ramblings.
"Also, to answer your questions in a simple manner: All slim consoles were named like their OG versions. So the PS4 Slim will be called PS4." It's possible the OG PS4 does not support UHD Blu-ray but the PS4 Slim does, do we STILL use the same name?

We have never had a situation like this where Game consoles of the same family have different specs. It's going to get worse (more features) which is the point of my mentioning the 2012 Sony CTO interview. Sony filed with the FCC for a new WiFi radio that is speculated for the 2016 PS4s.

Sony's commitment to a radically evolving machine

Huge wall of text for... things that have been known for quite some time now? = *insert wall of incomprehensible text*
You guys should get your stories straight.

HarryKS

I've never seen anyone as calm as Jeff Rigby on any message board I've ever been. Never seen anyone ,so consistently put so much research and effort into content he should be monetizing ( apply those same efforts in the workplace ) and still be derided for it. And he barely complains. Maybe he does not take it personally. Has the patience of a saint. The complaints hurled at him feel mostly like water on a duck's ass; ain't bothering him, at all.

I might not understand the technobabble but damn it son, that's quite something.

Lady Gaia

Neither does he, which is a big part of the problem.

He understands more than many, which is why he has a following. His tendency to leap to conclusions based on sketchy information is the beginning of the problem. The absolute insistence that his conclusions are the one and only truth is where he rubs people the wrong way. Okay, that and the continued wall of text posts in any thread that's even tangentially related.

Theonik

He understands more than many, which is why he has a following. His tendency to leap to conclusions based on sketchy information is the beginning of the problem. The absolute insistence that his conclusions are the one and only truth is where he rubs people the wrong way. Okay, that and the continued wall of text posts in any thread that's even tangentially related.
lol

AmyS

Sony releasing a lot of hardware

Yep.

* PSVR - that will include the processing / output / breakout box that does the re-projection, etc.

* PS4 Slim (just confirmed today / last night)

* PS4K / PS4.5 / Neo - The high-end PS4.

* Another "PSP-like" handheld is also rumored, but not yet confirmed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yep.

* PSVR - that will include the processing / output / breakout box that does the re-projection, etc.

There was also a Amazon France listing of a "DualShock Wireless USB Adapter for PS4". Probably for a wireless connection with PC when using RemotePlay [and PSNow].

THE:MILKMAN

Yep.

I can't help thinking the PSP-like handheld (if real) is something to compete with the NX and is the big thing to be announced on the 7th possibly even above the Neo because everyone knows about that now.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ooh didn't think about the PS4 Prime name. that's pretty good.

PS4+ is nice too (and probably more likely)

Yep.

some are saying the last one could be NX though. I can't see Sony releasing another handheld unless it's somehow profitable. Dunno how they do that.

THE:MILKMAN

Would you expect the local news to know the difference?

To be honest I wouldn't expect local news anywhere to be running console news!

chicagocubsfan said:
They were talking about the meeting, they specifically mentioned the upgraded Neo and the "increased pressure from Microsoft's Xbox line".

WGN Chicago.

Kinda surprised they had their story straight.

Kinda surprising. Must be a slow news day.

Loudninja

Yep.

Yep its a major part of their business.

NOOI

Banned
If only Sony was more careful, we would not have known about EITHER the NEO or the Slim. And then we would have no idea what they were going to talk about.

Sadly we spoiled ourselves, so now the only thing we would be waiting for is the pricing announcement.

Wollan

But worldtimebuddy... gotcha.

Anyways. I will be in Bali (honeymoon) so 3am for me. I can never win these conference timings.

NOOI

Banned
But worldtimebuddy...

Anyways. I will be in Bali (honeymoon) so 3am for me. I can never win these conference timings.

All you really need to know is the price. So just have your twitter open in your smartphone and linked to the Playstation official account. They would let you know without having to watch the thing.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If only Sony was more careful, we would not have known about EITHER the NEO or the Slim. And then we would have no idea what they were going to talk about.

Sadly we spoiled ourselves, so now the only thing we would be waiting for is the pricing announcement.

We don't know design. We don't know release date. We don't know max resolution or other specs for sure. We don't know if there are bundles. We don't know if it has a UHD player. We haven't spoiled much if anything.

Also the leaks are coming from Foxconn who leak things all the time. Not Sony and in the case of the slim, goods out in the wild somehow.

NOOI

Banned
We don't know design. We don't know release date. We don't know max resolution or other specs for sure. We don't know if there are bundles. We don't know if it has a UHD player. We haven't spoiled much if anything.

Also the leaks are coming from Foxconn who leak things all the time. Not Sony and in the case of the slim, goods out in the wild somehow.

I suspect that Slim hardware got out because Sony was preparing for early release. And the thing with China making hardware is that there is always a risk of the infamous "3rd shift", of having the factory making a batch of products unofficially and selling it in China behind the the backs of the original rights owners.

Personally my theory is that Slim is all set up and ready to be sold right after announcement early next month. And the only reason Slim got revealed is that one of the delivery trucks got stolen.

Patrick Soderlund just had this to say on the subject of iterative consoles.

With Microsoft's upcoming Project Scorpio and Sony's not-quite-announced PlayStation Neo, gaming hardware will abandon traditional generational design. Instead, the ecosystem for current consoles will grow with content being forward compatible. In the case of Project Scorpio, we know that accessories will be forward compatible, also. Soderlund was open about how this shift will impact EA's business. The company is ready and eager for iterative design.

"I believe that it's an interesting approach," he told me. "We haven't seen this whole idea of upgrading since the Mega CD in 1991 or something. At the time, that might not have worked, but this is different. I can only comment to what's been announced by Microsoft, the whole idea of keeping the ecosystem intact and scaleable is right. If you get in later in the cycle, you can get a Scorpio or you can upgrade to it. It's an interesting, smart approach, and we'll see how well it works. It's something that we as a company are 100 percent behind. I got super excited when I saw what they are working on, and without giving you any information, the same is true of Sony. In general, this is a good thing."
(emphasis mine)

So it seems logic will likely prevail.

NOOI

Banned
Patrick Soderlund just had ] to say on the subject of iterative consoles.

(emphasis mine)

PS3 tried to use CELL, and Sony got burned for that. Since I expect the gaming consoles for the foreseeable future to involve zero exotic components, it certainly makes sense to just make consoles pre-built PCs, in that backward compatibility would be a default feature.
The planned console cycles would likely be:
1. New console
2. Release console 1.5 and the slim version, mid way through the lifecycle.
3. Release Console 2, make sure all games for Console 2 is still reasonably playable on 1.5, and barely playable on 1.
4. Release Console 2.5 and the slim version of 2, slowly stop Console 1 and 1.5 production depending on how low the sales drop off.
etc.

NOOI

Banned
Nope. Not even the whole console is 5TF. Get ready for disappointment.

I don't understand why some people are trying to turn Neo into PS5. Microsoft clearly wanted the next gen to come early because they wanted a clean slate, but Sony has no reason to. Sony has won this gen via PS4 and they have no reason to end it prematurely.

Sony would release PS5 when they think they are ready to do so. Microsoft would not be able to force Sony into it no matter how powerful Scorpio ended up being, because Sony is the current market leader. Third parties would develop games for the largest install base like they always do.

If powerful hardware was really that all-enticing, then all the console games should have been available on PC by now.

sense

Patrick Soderlund just had this to say on the subject of iterative consoles.

(emphasis mine)

what logic?

if there is a ps5 and it is backwards compatible that comment still holds true. all your game will carryover but devs don't have to get stuck making a version on ps4 if they don't want to for newer games. cross gen games will be made for the first two years and they will carry over but coming out with a ps5 would make it clear to the consumers that there has been a substantial jump and people need to upgrade and also give sony/devs the excuse to drop support for ps4 when it starts making sense or if they want people to upgrade to the new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom