• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom Fox

Banned
People expecting Neo to run current gen games at 4k at decent frame rates are delusional. I even doubt it will be able to run it at 1440p decently
Sony is at least confident in hitting 1440p and 1800p to downsample or upscale. We will have to wait and see though :)

Edit: Double post, sorry guys.

I think 1440p is very reasonable downscaled to 1080p on Neo. Even 3 TF would be enough for that on a console. That's only like 35% more than what PS4 already has running 1080p.

4.2 TF or whatever Neo has is way more than enough for 1440p on modern games in a console. 1440p isn't even double the pixels of 1080.

Venom Fox

Banned
I am talking about native 1440. No way
I was going to respond but potatohead beat me to it...
I think 1440p is very reasonable downscaled to 1080p on Neo. Even 3 TF would be enough for that on a console. That's only like 35% more than what PS4 already has running 1080p.

4.2 TF or whatever Neo has is way more than enough for 1440p on modern games in a console.
Exactly. Even more so if it has had a spec bump.

I see a scenario that only first party games truly take advantage of it. I can already see Third party devs being super lazy and just do a few checks " full 1080p and 30 fps with no dips."

Exclusives are what I care about the most so that's perfectly OK with me. No more shitty running multiplatform games is good enough as we still see too many of those.

thuway

I am talking about native 1440. No way
It should do 1440p given the 2.3x raw GPU bump. Cpu bottlenecks are another story but the Neo has potential to do a 1440p game with high settings.

1440p is also Damn close to 4k in terms of image quality too, so I think it'll be the place where devs end up.

In short - 1440p is the truth and it represents a very good compromise where even the most discerning gamers will be hard pressed to ask for a better resolution as opposed to better effects. The jaggies are almost all gone and and the image really pops. If you A/B it with 4k you'll be hard pressed to want to waste resources towards it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Yeah indeed
Sarcastic?

What games do you guys expect to see the biggest jumps in graphical fidelity in their Neo counterparts?

I think big 3rd party games like BF1, CoD, RDR3 etc will get a big bump on Neo.
With 1st party games like Horizon, GOW, etc getting a big bump as well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I get games in PC if they're 30fps on console. If they're 60 on console I get it on console. Exception is destiny.

You must have one hell of a PC to play everything exclusively at 60FPS. Or do you make compromises with the graphics setting?

Sarcastic?

What games do you guys expect to see the biggest jumps in graphical fidelity in their Neo counterparts?

I think big 3rd party games like BF1, CoD, RDR3 etc will get a big bump on Neo.
With 1st party games like Horizon, GOW, etc getting a big bump as well.

No more Battlefield at 900p is worth the upgrade immediately.

eifer

You must have one hell of a PC to play everything exclusively at 60FPS. Or do you make compromises with the graphics setting?
I have a PC with a gtx 970. Occasionally something needs to be turned down, but I can easily get a solid 60 fps on every game. No sweat.

It should do 1440p given the 2.3x raw GPU bump. Cpu bottlenecks are another story but the Neo has potential to do a 1440p game with high settings.

1440p is also Damn close to 4k in terms of image quality too, so I think it'll be the place where devs end up.

In short - 1440p is the truth and it represents a very good compromise where even the most discerning gamers will be hard pressed to ask for a better resolution as opposed to better effects. The jaggies are almost all gone and and the image really pops. If you A/B it with 4k you'll be hard pressed to want to waste resources towards it.
I thought the leaked PDF said there was very little difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 4K display, implying 1440p was a bit of a waste.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I thought the leaked PDF said there was very little difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 4K display.

That is subjective, there is a notable difference, just not to the level of higher resolutions obviously. Sony just wants people to use their reconstruction technique to go higher and show even more on high end TV's.

By default on a 1080p screen like i have, 1440p is gonna be overkill cause of the downsampling

I hope you are right if Neo is able to run current gen games at 1440 and decent frame rates it will be awesome like you said I fear the cpu bottleneck will be na issue to run games at 60 fps

That is subjective, there is a notable difference, just not to the level of higher resolutions obviously. Sony just wants people to use their reconstruction technique to go higher and show even more on high end TV's.

By default on a 1080p screen like i have, 1440p is gonna be overkill cause of the downsampling

Downsampling is worth on 1080p.

It's like amazing AA that has 100% screen coverage. It doesn't match the downscale perfectly pixel for pixel or whatever, but it will look smooth AF. Stuff older than like 2012 or 2013 I run at 1440p on my computer, looks much better than native 1080p with AA.

Even 4K downsampling to 1080p is noticeably better than 1440p downsampling.

thuway

I thought the leaked PDF said there was very little difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 4K display, implying 1440p was a bit of a waste.
I can only tell you what I've seen with my eyes playing pc games. 1440p cleans up the image dramatically to a point where a tiny bit of post progressing will take care of everything but the hardest jaggies.

At 4K the image is even cleaner but the wow factor isn't anywhere near as strong as 1080p to 1440p. Just my opinion with GTA V on PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can only tell you what I've seen with my eyes playing pc games. 1440p cleans up the image dramatically to a point where a tiny bit of post progressing will take care of everything but the hardest jaggies.

At 4K the image is even cleaner but the wow factor isn't anywhere near as strong as 1080p to 1440p. Just my opinion with GTA V on PC.

Sony is actively discouraging 1440p upscaled for 4k displays on Neo. I assume their target native resolution for the checkerboard rendering method is in that region and Sony really wants devs to utilize that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are TV's capable of downsampling ? 1440p would fix a lot of aliasing issues.

For instance, if I connect my PC to my TV, I cannot downsample.

Of course they are. 7th gen games ran at internal resolutions far below the native HD screens at the time, but were scaled up.

Downsampling is basically the same thing but in reverse where rendering a higher internal resolution for the game makes the game clearer by default on lower res HD TV's.

The method on PC is far more refined because the downsampling is happening via GPU and the reconstruction is much higher, especially when displayed on a monitor, but you'll still get the same basic effect on console regardless as long as the internal resolution is higher than your HD screen.

If you have a 720p TV screen, and are running PS4 games already for example, you'll get the benefit of a much game much cleaner than 720p regardless of the TV only being capable of 720p.

The process as its called on PC being handled via GPU is specifically called downsampling, and in normal terms, it would be called downscaling, but its basically the same concept.

thuway

Sony is actively discouraging 1440p upscaled for 4k displays on Neo. I assume their target native resolution for the checkerboard rendering method is in that region and Sony really wants devs to utilize that.
Hmm. I just haven't seen it. I imagine it'll be easy to make convincing 4k with checkerboard rendering since the sample quality will be pretty high. Killzone used 720p samples I think? which causes all sorts of wierdness

Of course they are. 7th gen games ran at internal resolutions far below the native HD screens at the time, but were scaled up.

Downsampling is basically the same thing but in reverse where rendering a higher internal resolution for the game makes the game clearer by default on lower res HD TV's.

The method on PC is far more refined because the downsampling is happening via GPU and the reconstruction is much higher, especially when displayed on a monitor, but you'll still get the same basic effect on console regardless as long as the internal resolution is higher than your HD screen.

If you have a 720p TV screen, and are running PS4 games already for example, you'll get the benefit of a much game much cleaner than 720p regardless of the TV only being capable of 720p.

The process as its called on PC being handled via GPU is specifically called downsampling, and in normal terms, it would be called downscaling, but its basically the same concept.

Look, I know what downscaling and upscaling is, it's just weird that my TV doesn't have the options to downsample, but my monitor does.

vpance

Posted? Drawing of Neo by the artist who drew Slim

221221rt5m13mt1zt75azt.jpg

onQ123

I keep hearing 4K, 4K as the next resolution upgrade but shouldn't be there a middle resolution around 2K? Why everyone jumping to 4K?
Excuse my ignorance

PS4 can already do 2K games some of the PSVR games are rendered over 2K then downsampled. 2K is just 1080P with a few more horizontal lines

0351b358.jpg

Yep. I'm kinda hoping EGTTR will be updated. I don't expect native 4K TLOU:R or MGSV simply because those games were made with 60fps in mind. Especially MGSV.

Well known devs have already said there's no point trying to target native 4K even on Scorpio so I honestly think they'll just target 1800p, downsample to 1080p and upgrade lighting, textures, geometry etc.

I highly doubt it though. Even native 4K with high settings (There's no point trying to go as low as medium as OG PS4 is nearly there as it is) is a pain in the arse at 30FPS.

Honestly I'm still up for that Avatar bet if your up for it. That's how certain I am.

I'll even ask a gaffer to create a special avatar for us :)

Not doing any Avatar bets because I don't care about avatar bets but I will warn you that PS4 isn't just a PC architecture where you look at the CPU & GPU it's also a continuation of the PS1 , PS2 & PS3 architecture where you look at the CPU , Vector units & GPU. devs can use compute like they used SPEs & VPU so looking at the flop number isn't going to tell you the full story.

Gonna be just like the slim but with a full sized top, that's what it looks like to me. Dunno why anyone thinks it's gonna look like the original, there's no split down the middle.

ironcreed

Banned
I think it will be great just to see drop dead gorgeous games running at 1080p and 60 fps. That is all I really need when it comes right down to it. Push the graphic fidelity and make it run like butter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hmm. I just haven't seen it. I imagine it'll be easy to make convincing 4k with checkerboard rendering since the sample quality will be pretty high. Killzone used 720p samples I think? which causes all sorts of wierdness

Killzone's method was bizarre. I didn't like that at all because it couldn't hold up in motion.

Rainbow Six Siege uses a combination of checkerboard rendering, temporal reconstruction, and MSAA reconstruction, and temporal AA based on a 960x540 initial frame buffer and it looks quite convincing for a 1080p image. Ubi has even said in their tech presentation that their methods were pretty hastily thrown together and further research would be more scientific with more of a focus on checkerboard. If Sony is pushing it heavily for their new console, I'd imagine they have a pretty high quality method. If they can put out a quality image using reconstruction and have room for some other visual improvements over the standard PS4 it'll be hugely impressive.

Example of R6S on PS4:
24504519551_e81efb9f6d_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom