• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 can already do 2K games some of the PSVR games are rendered over 2K then downsampled. 2K is just 1080P with a few more horizontal lines

Actually true 2K with 16/9 ratio would be: 2048x1152

1440p is: 2560x1440

What we call 4K is actually 2160p (3840x2160)

True 4K would be: 4096x2304

Mediking

Well.... for the people who are really getting PSVR AND PS4 NEO on day one..... uhhhh... good luck. There's just no way I'm getting both on day one. PSVR needs a price cut in order me to get really interested and PS4 NEO needs to offer 1TB before i even think about buying it. HOWEVER... if PS4 NEO offers 1TB and is less than $400.00... I'll consider it.

icespide

Banned
Well.... for the people who are really getting PSVR AND PS4 NEO on day one..... uhhhh... good luck. There's just no way I'm getting both on day one. PSVR needs a price cut in order me to get really interested and PS4 NEO needs to offer 1TB before i even think about buying it. HOWEVER... if PS4 NEO offers 1TB and is less than $400.00... I'll consider it.
I don't really understand the concern over hard drive space with how easy it is to upgrade yourself. I'd rather they stick with 500gb to keep it as cheap as possible

THE:MILKMAN

You guys being serious? You can't possibly be drawing these kinds of conclusions from what you're seeing here.This is the only reasonsble reaction that image can garner.

Hey! A blank piece of paper could have been posted and we would spend the next two pages discussing it! Give us a break...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Any rumors/info on if Neo will support HDR? Haven't seen this mentioned or talked about so I figured that I would ask.

Armadilo

Banned
If you guys think about it, the neo will be the biggest one. You can actually stack the og ps4, slim and neo to form a Ps4 pyramid

Mediking

I don't really understand the concern over hard drive space with how easy it is to upgrade yourself. I'd rather they stick with 500gb to keep it as cheap as possible

Upgrading is actually annoying to me. Haahah. The first time I did it with my PS4... I actually screwed up. 500GB gets you nowhere. Now 1TB..... at like.... $350.....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Any rumors/info on if Neo will support HDR? Haven't seen this mentioned or talked about so I figured that I would ask.

This is sony's official card for the Playstation meeting.

playstation-meeting-september-2016-invite_1920.0.jpg

The rainbow colored line on the bottom illustrates HDR color depth, its basically 99.9% confirmed that NEO will support 4K Blu Rays, HDR rendering for games and other media ect.

THE:MILKMAN

Almost certainly I would think. Even this Google translate version of the 4gamer interview with Masayasu Ito from October 2015 makes that clear IMO. Even talks game patches..

in terms of "PS4.1" specific machine has been enhanced performance, might be to be able to play in 4K native if corresponding to the HDMI 2.0. in addition, if in response to the HDMI 2.0a, that the patch that is provided, re-buy the remake like .HD Remastered that might be able to play the hand of the game in the HDR corresponding at full price not even, in is provided at a low cost "PS4.x corresponding patch", it may be way, such as can be upgraded to the evolution version of the better image representation will be provided.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999024/20151021121/

onQ123

Actually true 2K with 16/9 ratio would be: 2048x1152

1440p is: 2560x1440

What we call 4K is actually 2160p (3840x2160)

True 4K would be: 4096x2304

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

DCI 2K (native resolution) 2048 × 1080 1.90:1 (256:135, ~17:9) 2,211,840

DCI 2K (flat cropped) 1998 × 1080 1.85:1 2,157,840

DCI 2K (CinemaScope cropped) 2048 × 858 2.39:1 1,755,136

Comparison to 1080p

Occasionally, 1080p (Full HD or FHD) has been included into the 2K resolution definition. Although 1920x1080 could be considered as having a horizontal resolution of approximately 2,000 pixels, most media, including web content and books on video production, cinema references and definitions, define 1080p and 2K resolutions as separate definitions and not the same.
Although 1080p has the same vertical resolution as DCI 2K resolutions (1080 pixels), it has a smaller horizontal resolution below the range of 2K resolution formats.
According to official reference material, DCI and industry standards do not officially recognize 1080p as a 2K resolution in literature concerning 2K and 4K resolution.

Shin-Ra

People expecting Neo to run current gen games at 4k at decent frame rates are delusional. I even doubt it will be able to run it at 1440p decently
Unravel and Inside are two of the most attractive "current gen" games with very near flawless 1080p60 performance on Xbone.

Ridge Racer 7's a launch PS3 game at 1080p mostly 60fps that's aged much better than 720p30ish games from the remainder of that generation.

It'll be a minority of games from developers that relish the challenge of working within a tight performance window, but there'll be beautiful, native 3840x2160 games on Neo.

Doesnt HDR require a separate mode on your TV that dramatically increases latency?

Looking at the 2016 Vizio P Series, you're going from 19ms input lag with SDR to 62ms input lag with HDR. Both instances have Game Low Latency on and Active LED turned off. I'm sure though that most people want HDR for things other than games.

Dinjooh

Didnt DF say we would get more info regarding the slim during the week, or did they back down on that in fear of getting in legal trouble?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I dub this the Playstation Nioh cause that's all I'll be playing most likely on the new system once it's out. Time is going by so damn slow for this announcement.

Flandy

Would the Neo support 1440p output? I have a 1440p monitor and I'm a bit scared that Neo will just go from 1080p straight to 4K in the resolution options

Also could someone link the slide where 1800p is mentioned. The one about 1440p not being good for upscaling would be nice too

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Speaking of HDR, is there any possible way that Neo could have some customizations to it's output to cut down on added input lag when it's activated? I have no idea if that's doable or not

Theonik

Speaking of HDR, is there any possible way that Neo could have some customizations to it's output to cut down on added input lag when it's activated? I have no idea if that's doable or not
The lag in HDR mode and any other deficiencies is entirely down to the TV and not every TV is as bad. When HDR game sources start becoming the norm TV manufacturers will start trying to tackle the issue.

DKHF

Didnt DF say we would get more info regarding the slim during the week, or did they back down on that in fear of getting in legal trouble?
I think they said that before taking it down out of fear of legal trouble, so I doubt they post anything more based on the stolen/early consoles (or at least not that initial one they filmed turning on obviously).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The lag in HDR mode and any other deficiencies is entirely down to the TV and not every TV is as bad. When HDR game sources start becoming the norm TV manufacturers will start trying to tackle the issue.

That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure

Cc23830

Im upgrading my tv in anticipation for the Neo and i have no idea what to get :( ( my current plasma keeps turning itself off so its not a luxury, its needed ) any ideas. Any info appriciated

BruceCLea

Banned
Apparently the best HDR TV for input lag is the Samsung KS8000. Its lag is really low for a tv at around 21 ms. Apparently testers have turned HDR mode on as well as game mode and they got the same low reading. That's my future set because that's ridiculous.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Im upgrading my tv in anticipation for the Neo and i have no idea what to get :( ( my current plasma keeps turning itself off so its not a luxury, its needed ) any ideas. Any info appriciated

Samsung KS9000 - 4k - HDR - and great for gaming.

$200-250 if you act now.

Thing is, both my controllers that I have are kinda broken.

One is really weird, if I push up on the stick, it also activates L2. L2 doesn't do anything.
Second one has a problem in some games with running/walking. For instance, in Bloodborne it's only possible to walk.

One is really weird, if I push up on the stick, it also activates L2. L2 doesn't do anything.
Second one has a problem in some games with running/walking. For instance, in Bloodborne it's only possible to walk.

The system is much more important than the controllers.

Elven_Star

Can't you go Frankenstein on them to create one kinda working controller? I sold mine with one controller for ~$240.

Kibbles

PS4 can already do 2K games some of the PSVR games are rendered over 2K then downsampled. 2K is just 1080P with a few more horizontal lines

0351b358.jpg

Not doing any Avatar bets because I don't care about avatar bets but I will warn you that PS4 isn't just a PC architecture where you look at the CPU & GPU it's also a continuation of the PS1 , PS2 & PS3 architecture where you look at the CPU , Vector units & GPU. devs can use compute like they used SPEs & VPU so looking at the flop number isn't going to tell you the full story.

I always referred to 1440p as 2k... woops

vin-buc

It's the actual analog. You can buy them for about $4 a piece but you have to have soldering and de-soldering skills (the de-soldering is the real challenge) I got an analog but unfortunately fried my board from the excessive iron heat.

EDIT: as much as I love the way the DS4 feels when it's brand new (like best controller ever imo) - after a few months from MP fps's - it's just junk. Sony really needs to do something about the DS4.

DOWN

Banned
If Deep Down is supposedly still around I wonder if we will see it at the PS meeting or TGS.
That's a weird one in that we've heard it's been a mess for them on PS4 yet for it to ever come out, it needs to have not only a Neo version which they can likely manage, but also a standard PS4 build and that's the hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom