• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

hdsrGbz.gif

Bravo

sense

Unbelievable...my friend has a slim already and is trying to sell me one too. Sony failed hard at trying the imminent Apple style release.

All this info is leaking and we still have a week and a half to go. :(
I bet Sony saw the PS4 slim leaking like crazy and the execs were like "Self destruct all the Neo's! We can risk the public seeing them before release. It will take 2 months to manufacture more but we'll just push back the release date."
haha
I don't understand what the big deal is and dont think Sony is losing any sleep over these leaks. If anything they should be expecting leaks in this day and age especially when it is being manufactured and a lot more people/retailers get their hands on these things ready to be sold. I assume neo is the one they would like to safe guard as much as possible anyways but who knows we might start seeing leaks next week for that

Metfanant

What does that have to do with my post?

do i really need to do this??

you said...

1440P is WQHD Wide Quad High Definition

1440P is to 720P what 2160P is to 1080P & what 1800P is to 900P.

So when the new consoles come out & we are unsure of what to be happy or mad about the easy thing to do is look at 1440p as 720p , 1800p as 900p & 2160p as 1080p so we can resolution whine like old times.

This doesnt work at all for the PS4 and Neo....the PS4 design, on the GPU front is perfectly setup for native 1920x1080 rendering...so if a game is released at 720p, or 900p, there is a legitimate cause for some resolution whining as you say...

HOWEVER...the Neo is flat out NOT packing the hardware for a native 2160p image...its just not...so "whining" about a Neo game not hitting 4k...is actually nothing like whining about a PS4 game not hitting 1080p...

the vast majority of AAA PS4 games are native 1080p...very few AAA Neo games will be native 2160p...a Neo AAA game hitting native 4k, would be much more akin to the PS4 achieving over 1080p on a AAA title, which just doesn't happen...

onQ123

do i really need to do this??

you said...

This doesnt work at all for the PS4 and Neo....the PS4 design, on the GPU front is perfectly setup for native 1920x1080 rendering...so if a game is released at 720p, or 900p, there is a legitimate cause for some resolution whining as you say...

HOWEVER...the Neo is flat out NOT packing the hardware for a native 2160p image...its just not...so "whining" about a Neo game not hitting 4k...is actually nothing like whining about a PS4 game not hitting 1080p...

the vast majority of AAA PS4 games are native 1080p...very few AAA Neo games will be native 2160p...a Neo AAA game hitting native 4k, would be much more akin to the PS4 achieving over 1080p on a AAA title, which just doesn't happen...

Again what does your post have to do with mine? the resolutions are in comparison to your TV resolution if you have a 4K TV the 1800P Neo/Scorpio games will be like the 900P games that are on PS4 & Xbox One now when they are hooked up to a 1080P set.

Venom Fox

Banned
Again what does your post have to do with mine? the resolutions are in comparison to your TV resolution if you have a 4K TV the 1800P Neo/Scorpio games will be like the 900P games that are on PS4 & Xbox One now when they are hooked up to a 1080P set.
How so? Please explain the tech behind the Neo hardware upscaler and reconstruction tech and the 4K TV's inbuilt upscaler. I'd honestly like to know.

THE:MILKMAN

Please Sony for the love of god leak something!

I can only handle so many posts about res and scaling.......

Just post a pic of Neo and I won't tell anyone.

Metfanant

i knew you were thick...but now im actually beginning to feel bad for you...

onQ123

Back to this half-precision stuff:

Neo will perform almost as if it was 8.4TF when you use FP16 & fit 2 16-bit instructions into FP32.

but because the FP16 is actually compressed from what would have probably been a 32-bit instruction it will actually be performing what seems like close to 8.4TF of FP32.

I'm aware that y'all think I'm crazy but watch this 4.2TF console do 4K when devs use FP16.

Flyinmunky

Chance of Last Of Us Re-master getting a Neo patch?

Would love a reason for another grounded play through.

I'm sure Naughty Dog can do 4k@60fps with it :p

Dinjooh

Am I gonna have to turn this car around, you two?

Heh

Well, I suppose it's a simple matter of time invested / profit generated. Now TloU is a big varied game and it's probably not selling much still so I'd say chances are slim. But hey, they might just be able to flip a switch.

onQ123

How so? Please explain the tech behind the Neo hardware upscaler and reconstruction tech and the 4K TV's inbuilt upscaler. I'd honestly like to know.

What does this have to do with my post?

I'm saying that 1440P to 4K is like 720P to 1080P this has nothing to do with Neo.

Venom Fox

Banned
Back to this half-precision stuff:

Neo will perform almost as if it was 8.4TF when you use FP16 & fit 2 16-bit instructions into FP32.

but because the FP16 is actually compressed from what would have probably been a 32-bit instruction it will actually be performing what seems like close to 8.4TF of FP32.

I'm aware that y'all think I'm crazy but watch this 4.2TF console do 4K when devs use FP16.
Is there any documentation behind this? This sounds interesting.

onQ123

Is there any documentation behind this? This sounds interesting.

SCHEME FOR COMPRESSING VERTEX SHADER OUTPUT PARAMETERS

1. A computer graphics processing method comprising: compressing vertex parameter values with a vertex shader; writing the compressed vertex parameter values to a cache; accessing the compressed vertex parameter values written to the cache with a pixel shader; and decompressing the compressed vertex parameter values with the pixel shader.

2. The method of claim 1, further comprising interpolating the decompressed vertex parameter values with the pixel shader.

3. The method of claim 1, wherein said accessing the compressed vertex parameter values includes copying the compressed vertex parameter values from the cache to a local memory unit of a GPU, and accessing the compressed vertex parameter values from the local memory unit with the pixel shader.

4. The method of claim 1, wherein the vertex parameter values include parameter values of all three vertices of a triangle primitive.

5. The method of claim 1, wherein said compressing the vertex parameter values includes storing two floating point numbers together as one value having twice as many bits as each of the two floating point numbers.

6. The method of claim 5, wherein said compressing the vertex parameter values includes storing two 16-bit floating point numbers together as one 32-bit value.

7. The method of claim 2, further comprising performing pixel shader computations on the interpolated parameter values.

8. The method of claim 1, further comprising, before said compressing, modifying the parameter values with the vertex shader.

Venuspower

Saw some people telling, that The Last of Us Remastered will get a 4K Upgrade.
But I highly doubt that. TLOU Remastered already got stable 60 FPS. And I do not know why ND should upgrade it any further in terms of resolution. They should focus more on Uncharted 4 DLC, and Uncharted 4 Neo Upgrade and The Last of Us 2 instead of a graphic upgrade for a 2 year old game (3 years if you count the PS3 release).

Do not get me wrong. I love the The Last of Us. But it is perfect how it is.

Theonik

So, I'm right: 2K means 2048 horizontal pixels (1024x2), and the standard TV aspect ratio is 16/9 (1,77778)=

2048x1152
Not quite. It's rather silly to use the term 2K for home displays as it's simply not used. There is also no single standard for that is 2K with DCI being the most common. Max resolution for that is 2048x1080 which is an aspect ratio of 1.896:1. The standard also allows cropping to wider aspect ratios with a fixed width of 2048 and varying height to hit the desired aspect ratio. You cannot do 16:9 in 2K. To display 16:9 in a 2K projector you need to crop the width which would leave a resolution of 1920x1080.

4K has similar origins as 4K in TVs in that both are 2x in every direction they were trying to replace 2K for cinema for 4096x2160 and 3840x2160, naming conventions are designed to take advantage of cinema hype this time around though on TVs but if using the same convention as we did with 2K in TVs as 2160p both are the same with TVs being a more narrow aspect ratio.

e: A big oversight with BD was getting rid of anamorphic modes from DVD, while those were meant to exploit properties of CRT TVs it means that most BD movies being made in wider aspect ratios than 16:9 fall short of 1080p on BD and even wider TVs have to scale up despite having the width that would display an anamorphic 1080p correctly.

Not quite. It's rather silly to use the term 2K for home displays as it's simply not used. There is also no single standard for that is 2K with DCI being the most common. Max resolution for that is 2048x1080 which is an aspect ratio of 1.896:1. The standard also allows cropping to wider aspect ratios with a fixed width of 2048 and varying height to hit the desired aspect ratio. You cannot do 16:9 in 2K. To display 16:9 in a 2K projector you need to crop the width which would leave a resolution of 1920x1080.

4K has similar origins as 4K in TVs in that both are 2x in every direction they were trying to replace 2K for cinema for 4096x2160 and 3840x2160, naming conventions are designed to take advantage of cinema hype this time around though on TVs but if using the same convention as we did with 2K in TVs as 2160p both are the same with TVs being a more narrow aspect ratio.

e: A big oversight with BD was getting rid of anamorphic modes from DVD, while those were meant to exploit properties of CRT TVs it means that most BD movies being made in wider aspect ratios than 16:9 fall short of 1080p on BD and even wider TVs have to scale up despite having the width that would display an anamorphic 1080p correctly.

That's exactly my point! We shouldn't use 2K or 4K as words for gaming.

Stick to the vertical resolution: 1080p and 2160p

Or if we want to use marketing names: Full HD and Ultra HD

That's exactly my point! We shouldn't use 2K or 4K as words for gaming.

Stick to the vertical resolution: 1080p and 2160p

Or if we want to use marketing names: Full HD and Ultra HD

But 4K is the marketing term .
I see that used way more often than Ultra HD .
Plus 4K just shorter to write lol .

onQ123

So, I'm right: 2K means 2048 horizontal pixels (1024x2), and the standard TV aspect ratio is 16/9 (1.77778) =

2048x1152

We are not talking about movies here. Those have different aspect ratios: 1.85:1 or 2.39:1

Someone said that they should go for 2K with Neo & I pointed out that PS4 can already do 2K because some of the PSVR games are rendered above 2K & showed them that 2K isn't much different from 1080P.

I'm not sure what you think you're right about because everything I said still stands PS4 render over 2048x1152 for some PSVR games then downsample.

I just cannot imagine this thing not releasing October or November. They don't need to make so many they need multiple months to produce. They need three weeks from manufacture to store shelves. The meeting is planned so there are no units yet shipped, all that means is there are no neos in the wild at that time. They could still have them ready to sell with VR.

Neo-Block.gif

Someone more talented than me will need to be the one to put a GAF logo on the agent's head.

Ha! Neo is untouchable. I think Sony have locked things down now until the 7th. Probably gone completely silent even with the press and may not even start hyping the event until the 5th or 6th.

Mikey Jr.

If Sony is surprised by the slim leak, then what the fuck did they think was suppose to happen?

They had complete retail boxes made a month before their announcement. Of course that was going to leak.

Averon

If the Neo is in full production like the Slim is, it will leak no matter how tight Sony tries to plug leaks. There's just too many people involved in the production chain for Sony to cover all their bases.

Kyoufu

If the Neo is in full production like the Slim is, it will leak no matter tight Sony tries to plug leaks. There's just too many people involved in the production chain for Sony to cover all their bases.

I personally don't care for box leaks for Neo. The only thing that matters with Neo is what benefits it provides, what features it will bring to the table, what enhancements games can have with the extra power. Official specs are going to be great too. Foxconn/Gumtree leaks won't offer us any of that.

If Sony is surprised by the slim leak, then what the fuck did they think was suppose to happen?

They had complete retail boxes made a month before their announcement. Of course that was going to leak.

I think it is even longer than that given I believe they have to travel weeks on container ships from China to reach the distribution centre in Europe? where they where leaked from.

RPGamer92

Banned
So what games will we see at this event? If I were to guess, I'd say:
Uncharted 4 (Neo upgrade)
Bloodborne (Neo upgrade)
Horizon
The Last Guardian
The Witcher 3 (Neo upgrade)
GTA V (Neo upgrade)
Deep Down
Dark Souls 3 (Neo upgrade)
Final Fantasy XV
Resident Evil 7

fastmower

Saw some people telling, that The Last of Us Remastered will get a 4K Upgrade.
But I highly doubt that. TLOU Remastered already got stable 60 FPS. And I do not know why ND should upgrade it any further in terms of resolution. They should focus more on Uncharted 4 DLC, and Uncharted 4 Neo Upgrade and The Last of Us 2 instead of a graphic upgrade for a 2 year old game (3 years if you count the PS3 release).

Do not get me wrong. I love the The Last of Us. But it is perfect how it is.
It's not a stable 60, unfortunately.

I guess all games with an unlocked frame rate will benefit from the Neo, right? The Xbox One S has better performance in some games.

Same would also apply to games with dynamic resolutions like Doom?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I guess all games with an unlocked frame rate will benefit from the Neo, right? The Xbox One S has better performance in some games.

if they are patched. Sony patented a specific type of software patent focused on emulating original PS4 hardware for non patched games. I guess they are more scared of breaking games via incompatibility than anyone thought, but i guess it makes sense since games have to be 100% compatible with NEO and Slim and the OG PS4.

farisr

It's up in the air at this point because the leaked documents (that were made before april 1,2016) state that the neo seems to purposely block off the extra power that may have otherwise been available to unpatched games as it goes down to "base ps4 specs" in that mode.

Even if it stays like that though, we may see improvements anyways due to improvements made in the GCN architecture.

But yeah, this aspect can be changed even after the system is on the market via a system update, and I truly hope that they change their minds about it or have done some testing to find out it's not breaking compatibility (if that's what the concern is).

If the Neo is in full production like the Slim is, it will leak no matter how tight Sony tries to plug leaks. There's just too many people involved in the production chain for Sony to cover all their bases.

A picture may leak, but I doubt any will have the actual product in their home.

In a way I hope the Neo doesn't get leaked. I want to be surprised and amazed.

Me too. If we are this close why ruin the surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom