• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What US - and by extension, Canadian - prices are we expecting for the PS4 Slim and Neo respectively?

I'm hoping for maximums of $329 and $479 CAD, though not expecting it...

I'm guessing the Neo is like the slim but with sharp edges instead of round and fatter

No gloss finish either. That shit just scratches.

What US - and by extension, Canadian - prices are we expecting for the PS4 Slim and Neo respectively?

I'm hoping for maximums of $329 and $479 CAD, though not expecting it...

Not happening. Even $399 US equates to around $520 CAD and I expect $449 or $499 for the US.

Venuspower

It's not a stable 60, unfortunately.

These drops,you are talking about are really unimportant, if you ask me.
There are 2 or 3 situations where in the game were I get drops to 55 or maybe even 50 FPS (usually when a bloater throw his "spore-balls" and lots of other types of infected are comming at you while fighting). But that is just for seconds. At the rest of the time I do not see any major drops. And I played the Remastered version >30 times (no I do not use things like reality creation, intelligent frame creation or whatever the TV manufacturers call it) .

There are a lot of other games who needs the extra power of PS4 Neo more than The Last of Us. GTA V and Uncharted 4 already got mentioned. But I would like to see Ratchet and Clank in 60 FPS too.

thelastword

Banned
I really don't see Neo being less than $449 USD - Likely $499 USD.
$499.00 is perfect, it's a premium product afterall. I don't know why people expect that a premium PS4 will be priced the same as the original PS4 at launch.

I couldn't care less about power consumption. Overclock it to the max and stuff a huge fan in. Hell give me an OG Xbox One size box and I won't care.

Haha my thoughts exactly. I want Sony to show us it premium and show us it a beast compared to the OG.

Absolutely, make the box big enough, cool it down appropriately.... I'm paying for power not for looks and mobility.

Woodchipper

399 USD for the NEO?

Legitimate question: Is this wishful thinking, or an actual estimate? Most ballparks I've seen put it closer to $500-600 than $400.
Do you remember the PS3 announcement? They won't go there again, so there's no way it'll be more than $499.

I don't see why it can't be $399.
$499.00 is perfect, it's a premium product afterall. I don't know why people expect that a premium PS4 will be priced the same as the original PS4 at launch.
Because the original PS4 was premium at launch, wasn't it? What's so hard to understand?

deadstar72

Neo Member
I really don't see Neo being less than $449 USD - Likely $499 USD.
I dunno, I kinda think $449 would be the upper limit, $399 more likely. I could be wrong but I think they'd want to straddle the line of it being premium compared to the slim but still within the price range that the mainstream would consider paying the extra for

I dunno, I kinda think $449 would be the upper limit, $399 more likely. I could be wrong but I think they'd want to straddle the line of it being premium compared to the slim but still within the price range that the mainstream would consider paying the extra for

I agree - I think they'll go between $249 and $299 max for the slim and position the NEO at the price of the original PS4 - $399.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A picture may leak, but I doubt any will have the actual product in their home.

Me too. If we are this close why ruin the surprise?
The juicy stuff is what benefits it will provide to games. That won't leak even if we see the box. We'll have to wait until devs give their presentations on the 7th.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I agree - I think they'll go between $249 and $299 max for the slim and position the NEO at the price of the original PS4 - $399.

I wouldn't think this would be the case because the original PS4 was intended to be marketed to everyone and accessible for everyone @ $400. Sony is now segmenting their market - the slim is intended to fill the role of the original PS4 and be something that everyone can get, meanwhile the Neo is designed as the high-end experience... which will probably come with a high-end price tag. It's not for everyone and they don't expect it to be the bulk of their sales.

PS4 = Profitable from day one, affordable for most people = $399.99
PS3 = high-end machine for it's day = $599.99

The problem with the PS3 was that even though it was a high-end experience, many people just wanted to play games and weren't comfortable with the high price tag. There was a cheaper $499.99 model with a smaller hard drive (20gb) and no chrome accents but that was still considered kinda pricey at the time.

onQ123

What makes you say that, Sonys method to upscale with Neo?

Yes, because uncompressed pixels are actually a thing. /sarcasm

What makes you say that, Sonys method to upscale with Neo?

It's not upscaling they are compressing vertex workloads so they can fit into FP16 instead of FP32 then fitting 2 FP16 operations into FP32 then decompressing it when they get to the pixel shader

I suspect it will be an October release (or late Sept), why?

1. It's being announced Sept 7th. Apple does early Sept announcements, with late September/ early October launches.

2. Leaks of Neo already being assembled.

3. Sony will want to get the Neo out before the holiday rush and launch of big games.

4. The leaked dev details said that after October, every game will require a Neo mode.

It's all falling into place.

Now...with the bigger box, I want that 5+ TFLOP power.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I suspect it will be an October release (or late Sept), why?

1. It's being announced Sept 7th. Apple does early Sept announcements, with late September/ early October launches.

2. Leaks of Neo already being assembled.

3. Sony will want to get the Neo out before the holiday rush and launch of big games.

4. The leaked dev details said that after October, every game will require a Neo mode.

It's all falling into place.

Now...with the bigger box, I want that 5+ TFLOP power.
I'm hoping for October as well. I would be extremely happy if I could have the console before BF1 releases.

QaaQer

Back to this half-precision stuff:

Neo will perform almost as if it was 8.4TF when you use FP16 & fit 2 16-bit instructions into FP32.

but because the FP16 is actually compressed from what would have probably been a 32-bit instruction it will actually be performing what seems like close to 8.4TF of FP32.

I'm aware that y'all think I'm crazy but watch this 4.2TF console do 4K when devs use FP16.

I enjoy your posts and don't think your crazy.<----not sarcasm

farisr

The sooner the neo comes out the better. Despite having plenty of other stuff to play on other systems, my ps4 copy of deus ex just sitting there on the shelf is making me kind of regret selling the ps4 so soon. It's the game I want to play the most right now.

farisr

Have there been any neo-related leaks since the slim leak? Thanks in advance, trying to catch up.
Nothing of substance. This is pretty much the only new thing related to the Neo that's come up recently.
Posted? Drawing of Neo by the artist who drew Slim
221221rt5m13mt1zt75azt.jpg

Which led to:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom