• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOR5

Got home a few minutes ago. Here you go:

ryQugYZ.jpg

Perfection

Sony really needs to be clear with everything during this presentation, I mean we got GAF users asking if PS VR will work without Neo...

Consumers shouldn't have the right to be dumb. It's not confusing at all. And if you're going to make a $400 purchase, you know what you're doing, or you acting very dumb.

I agree that Sony needs to be clear on the fact that your PS4 is still worth it and will play all the games to come until PS5.

Pennywise

I wouldn't mind if they sacrificed PSX this year and instead opt to go all out during the NEO conference.

Could be another E3 caliber event.
They got more than enough for PSX. Apart from all the unannounced stuff, there still are plenty of projects that need proper gameplay show offs. Lets not forget that they essentially skipped gamescom/pgw.

And PSX is a consumer concept first and foremost. It's not entirely about announcements. It's about people playing games, interaction with devs, workshops and so on. The focus is on the crowd at PSX.

Servbot24

Banned
Consumers shouldn't have the right to be dumb. It's not confusing at all. And if you're going to make a $400 purchase, you know what you're doing, or you acting very dumb.

I agree that Sony needs to be clear on the fact that your PS4 is still worth it and will play all the games to come until PS5.

Consumers can do whatever they want. They can go about their day and not give a shit about Neo, VR or PlayStation. They're not bound to buy things. It's Sony's job to reach out and appeal to them.

FelipeMGM

I wouldn't mind if they sacrificed PSX this year and opted to go all out during the NEO conference instead.

Could be another E3 caliber event.

Nah, even if they drop some serious bombs on NEO event, PSX is safe.

First and foremost is a fan event, show floor and the panels are a big focus for them on those

And as for the PSX keynote, they can throw a bunch of Japanese games and minor stuff in there, like they actually did for the past two years, and they will please the fans. Some Crash Trilogy footage and everyone will loose their shit lol

And Im pretty sure they will keep tradition and start with Uncharted 4 footage again, this time with the DLC

Game announcement don't grow on trees, especially first-party announcements. Generally when Sony makes a big show out of something outside their Big Three (E3, TGS, Gamescom/PGW), one of them suffers.

2013 Playstation Meeting where they announced the PS4. There were a lot of exclusive announcements there as listed in the previous page.

But what was announced at 2013 E3? Only one new first-party game, Order 1886. In another timeline, whatever was announced at PS Meeting would had been kept for E3 instead.

If Sony skips their European conference, then I can see more announcements out of the Neo event. However, by that same token, Sony's European events often announces more niche games. Whatever was meant to be announced at Sony's Europe events, some of them work ( like GT/Detroit), but stuff like Wild or Until Dawn aren't necessarily showcase games.

Personally, I expect no more than 1-2 third-party announcements, and a lot of updates from E3 running at higher framerate/better fidelity. Nothing new first-party wise except say, UC4 DLC.

Jonboy

I honestly wouldn't go into this expecting as many announcements as we got at the PS4 meeting. It's just not the same situation at all.

I'm expecting a few already announced games to showcase the hardware (GoW, Horizon, etc.) along with updates to games like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne.

Maybe one new game announcement, but I'm not expecting anymore than that. Just setting yourself up for disappointment. They have to save stuff for PSX.

Well....I just sold and shipped out my OG PS4 for just under $300. I figure, at worst, I'll just buy a brand-spanking-new PS4 slim for $300 next week (here's hoping it retails for $250!).

Hopefully, The Neo will be available on the same day as the slim...because that's really what I wanted to put the $$ towards.

I guess I'll have to play solitaire for the next 9 days....

OléGunner;215327893 said:
GTA V made a $1bn in 3 days.
I think more than a brown envelope with cash would be needed to convince them to reveal their own highly anticipated game ;)

I think that bogus E3 R* rumour has sent people for a loop

The funny thing is, there is no need for Sony for any kind of exclusive deal with Rockstar. They could show how RDR 3 looks on a PS4 Neo and for now their competition isn't able to hold a candle to that. That said, I doubt RDR 3 will launch before Scorpio.

Well....I just sold and shipped out my OG PS4 for just under $300. I figure, at worst, I'll just buy a brand-spanking-new PS4 slim for $300 next week (here's hoping it retails for $250!).

Hopefully, The Neo will be available on the same day as the slim...because that's really what I wanted to put the $$ towards.

I guess I'll have to play solitaire fir the next 9 days....
Damn, nice job.

Does this mean you expect Sony's engineers to bottleneck their hardware?

Come on.

Yes, yes I do. The current PS4 is already severely bottlenecked. Many games that run at 30 on PS4 (or otherwise with noticeable frame drops) can run at locked 60 on PC with a similar GPU just by using a modern i5.

Edit: Just for reference, there's several examples. Warriors games (DW8XL and SW4II) and Dark Souls 3 are the first examples that come to mind but there's more.

orochi91

And PSX is a consumer concept first and foremost. It's not entirely about announcements. It's about people playing games, interaction with devs, workshops and so on. The focus is on the crowd at PSX.

First and foremost is a fan event, show floor and the panels are a big focus for them on those
Touché.

I mistakenly categorized PSX as an E3/TGS caliber conference. In hindsight, the previous PSX shows were definitely lazer-focused on fans.

Touché.

I mistakenly categorized PSX as an E3/TGS caliber conference. In hindsight, the previous PSX shows were definitely lazer-focused on fans.

Not to say there aren't big reveals at PSX. Stuff like SFV and Ni no Kuni are definitely E3-caliber reveals.

But first-party probably won't announce anything big there, and for one/two big stuff, the rest are smaller announcements.

So is PSVR confirmed to work on OG PS4's, or did they make that a 4k thing now?

Here's a alternate question:

Why is this even a question? Have you seen anything at all that would suggest a change of plan? I certainly haven't. Why would you think PSVR wouldn't work on the OG PS4?

FelipeMGM

Here's a alternate question:

Why is this even a question? Have you seen anything at all that would suggest a change of plan? I certainly haven't. Why would you think PSVR wouldn't work on the OG PS4?

Yeah, that kinda bothers me too.

PSVR was announced in March 2014 (as Morpheus) on what hardware people think this has been running on show floors for the past two years?

sense

I honestly wouldn't go into this expecting as many announcements as we got at the PS4 meeting. It's just not the same situation at all.

I'm expecting a few already announced games to showcase the hardware (GoW, Horizon, etc.) along with updates to games like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne.

Maybe one new game announcement, but I'm not expecting anymore than that. Just setting yourself up for disappointment. They have to save stuff for PSX.
Psx is not a big event and Sony have said they are treating it as more of a fan event where we usually see more indie stuff and maybe some Japanese games announcements. The last two psx has already shown it is not an event that gets huge announcements. If this event is replacing gamescom and pgw then they will definitely have new announcements. Maybe 2 or 3 game announcements. PGW has not been confirmed to have a conference and Jim Ryan said they might do an event in september instead of PGW and gamescom and that is what is happening.

Yeah it's a tricky tightrope they'll have to walk to big up the new console but not belittle the current PS4 either. It makes me wonder if they'll even really talk about the improvements to graphics as much as we all expect, with side by side comparisons etc. If comparisons look really great doesn't it not also devalue the current PS4 in the same breath? I'm really curious to see how they tackle all this.

I agree it's a really tough balancing act. Even just doing regular comparison screen wipes may not be all that great coming across in compressed videos.

I'll be killed for this probably but most DigitalFoundry comparison videos between PC and console mostly don't make me want to rush out and buy a monster PC because they have better textures or whatever (and the difference between OG PS4 and Neo will be smaller in theory)

Will be interesting how they proposition Neo to the hardcore.

The funny thing is, there is no need for Sony for any kind of exclusive deal with Rockstar. They could show how RDR 3 looks on a PS4 Neo and for now their competition isn't able to hold a candle to that. That said, I doubt RDR 3 will launch before Scorpio.

Yeah I'm with you but what I mostly meant was no realistic cash amount will allow Sony to dictate to R* when to reveal RDR3.
Sony would just be happy to have marketing agreement even if the game comes out in 2020.

Yeah, that kinda bothers me too.

PSVR was announced in March 2014 (as Morpheus) on what hardware people think this has been running on show floors for the past two years?

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things. We're all tapped in at different levels.

But if you're tapped in enough to know PSVR and the "PS4k" exists, suggesting that PSVR has at some point become exclusive to PS4k sets off some willful-ignorance/FUD-spreading alarm bells for me.

Blackmarsh63

Neo Member
this makes me think they will focus on already released games to show off Neo differences. any new game announcements won't focus on differences

Sony are in a difficult position here. The need to show that there is a difference between the two models at the same time not annoying OG PS4 owners.

FelipeMGM

this makes me think they will focus on already released games to show off Neo differences. any new game announcements won't focus on differences

Im not sure, and I dont think we will even see any footage from E3 showcased games like GoW, Detroit or Days Gone. Focusing too much on the differences might piss a lot of people

EDIT: I read that totally on the other way at first lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes, yes I do. The current PS4 is already severely bottlenecked. Many games that run at 30 on PS4 (or otherwise with noticeable frame drops) can run at locked 60 on PC with a similar GPU just by using a modern i5.

Edit: Just for reference, there's several examples. Warriors games (DW8XL and SW4II) and Dark Souls 3 are the first examples that come to mind but there's more.

That doesn't make any sense. Warriors games and SW are 60fps on PS4.

Secondly the games that are 30 on console usually lead on console to maximize the rendering and graphics. PC can jump ahead to 60 specifically because like all PC hardware, there are stronger components.

There are games lead to run 60 on console like Call of Duty, BF, Wolfenstein and many others as well.

Until dawn, UC4 and possibly Bloodborne are likely candidates to show off the hardware.

Actually until dawn would be perfect to showcase the Neo.

Is it weird that this $599 haunts me and that's how much I really think the Neo will cost? 😂😂

Like for real, I think Sony is feeling on top of the world and will make this mistake right out the gate... I feel it but I want to be wrong so bad lol

wapplew

Foxconn artist latest update on our mockup.

215240hhsfnf2nj8hk8dnh.jpg

1. button on the first layer, not second.
2. light bar(?) together with button
3. 2 USB, at layer 2
4. disc drive at layer 1
5. power plug (that hole) bigger than OG PS4
6. White logo
7. Weight 4500g

Veteran worker said....around RMB3000.

- button on the first layer, not second.
- light bar(?) together with button
- 2 USB, at layer 2
- disc drive at layer 1
- power plug (that hole) bigger than OG PS4
- weight 4500g
- white

Time to update those mockups.

- 2 USB, at layer 2
- disc drive at layer 1
- weight 4500g
- white

eehhxcellent

Tratorn

- 2 USB, at layer 2
- disc drive at layer 1
- weight 4500g
- white

Is the weight now the definitive weight or is it still an "assumption"? Iirc the first time he said it "felt" like 10 pounds (~4,6kg), but he didn't know the exact weight.

And hopefully there won't be only white models at launch... I want a black one.

Jonboy

- 2 USB, at layer 2
- disc drive at layer 1
- weight 4500g
- white

If that weight is accurate, then this thing is huge (4500 grams = 9.9lbs). The original Xbox was 8.5 lbs. Original Xbone was 7.05 lbs.

Those are the largest consoles we've ever had, right?

How could it be that heavy though? Lol I thought it was a mini-beast not cutting edge tech for this year? Is the power supply inside again I guess...

Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom