• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, according to the leak the PS4 has 18 AMD GCN CUs on GPU and the Neo has 36. Clock speed goes from 800 to 911. What if they literally added another GPU(think crossfire) and bumped the clocks. That could account for the weight. Nah, that'd be crazy right?

Even another chip and a second fan, I can't see adding that much to the weight. And crossfire would be much more inefficient than simply increasing the size of the main SoC (although yields on the chip would go down).

More aluminum and plastic perhaps? Bigger case for better airflow? Do we have dimensions yet or no?

A massive heat sink and heftier internal PSU might be likely suspects too. The OG PS3 is 11 lbs? Sounds about right then...

vpance

Imagine if this thing is as loud as PS3 fat was. This will make all those "jet engine" PS4s sound like a gentle breeze.

wapplew

Has this guy told you this?

I'll be really surprised if there is no subtitle or simple letter/symbol (PS4+, PS4S for e.g.)

It's from the same post he wrote, I just left those out, didn't think it's important.
Maybe Sony want to assure Neo is just a PS4 revision by calling it PS4.

pottuvoi

Banned
Like, according to the leak the PS4 has 18 AMD GCN CUs on GPU and the Neo has 36. Clock speed goes from 800 to 911. What if, for Neo, they literally added another GPU(think crossfire) and bumped the clocks. That could account for the weight. Nah, that'd be crazy right?
They still want the machine to be easy to program, multi-chip solution wouldn't fit the ideology.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
A little more than a week now. I see the $449 price being thrown around, I'm not a fan.
Keep that shit under/around $400 unless there's a Zen CPU in there.

Midas

It's really weird that Sony haven't said anything about the PlayStation Meeting in social media / their blog yet. Maybe on Wednesday when it's a week left?

BrunoM

I had a play with a mockup (crazily similar to one previous posted)... then I saw the update, oh well.
29316701415_f2ecb8c735_o.png
It just may not be very far from the final look

Elven_Star

Not really. If it's $450+, I'd rather go for a PC at a slightly higher price. Could used the change :) I love Playstation though, and I'll definitely buy another one at some point, but I simply can't afford a PC and a PS4 at the same time. I'll probably buy a slim sometime next year.

vpance

My 20gb PS3 was really silent, got worse with age and during summer heat, but even at its worst it wasn't as bad as my launch PS4.

My 60gb fat got worse with age as well, as most people's did. Don't know how I put up with it back then.

I guess it's a bit luck of the draw with launch PS4s. Mine only gets slightly louder during pause screens.

onQ123

Not really. If it's $450+, I'd rather go for a PC at a slightly higher price. Could used the change :) I love Playstation though, and I'll definitely buy another one at some point, but I can't simply afford a PC and a PS4 at the same time. I'll probably buy a slim sometime next year.

PS4 was $400 with a 500GB HDD & Neo is supposed to be $450 with a 1TB HD I'm not sure why Neo would make you buy a PC if PS4 didn't

f@luS

More than a member.
Thanks god i already paid for my gpd win

Coz september 7 Will ne iPhone 7 + neo + 4K tv

Xmas is early

woah, wait... 4500g? If that is accurate this thing is almost double the weight of OG PS4. What the hell is in this thing? My only guess is the PSU needed to be more beefy if they're upgrading the GPU thus larger and heavier.

THE:MILKMAN

It's from the same post he wrote, I just left those out, didn't think it's important.
Maybe Sony want to assure Neo is just a PS4 revision by calling it PS4.

I see. I just think calling both slim and Neo simply PS4 will cause problems for online retail. How will they differentiate in listings?

Theonik

I doubt that right now (not completely ruling it out, though). There have been hints here at GAF that there is something under the hood we don't know about but it isn't clear if that relates to the main specs, APU/RAM or is something else.

I do wonder what could add so much weight though, if true. Going from 2.8KG to 4.5KG is a lot. Made of premium aluminium!?
A metallic case could add to weight yes. But 5TF is fairly easy to do on the Polaris chip the Neo is using by increasing the power state and thus the clock. The full 6TF of the chip is probably not though.
A 3.5" HDD might also add to the weight.

You know what most interesting? As reckless as the Foxconn artist with Neo and slim drawing, he don't dare to leak any more info of that portable thing.
I have 2 ideas. First he said that was second hand information so chances are it's at a different building and he hasn't seen it and the people that work there won't say more.
Because Nintendo Ninjas are holding their families hostage.

onQ123

woah, wait... 4500g? If that is accurate this thing is almost double the weight of OG PS4. What the hell is in this thing? My only guess is the PSU needed to be more beefy if they're upgrading the GPU thus larger and heavier.

But the move to 14nm should take care of the upgraded GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom