• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
just updated it going by the foxconn info.

29316701415_c849ef869d_o.png
I do not know how to feel about this.

The disc drive and USB slots are odd too. I would put them the other way around.

DavidDesu

So if it's pretty huge and has a good cooling solution does that mean the CPU can be clocked higher? I believe it's a set chip that's clocked down for power and heat considerations, but could Sony have designed the console to allow them to unlock more of that power in the CPU? Seems pretty hefty and potentially pretty big with little reason for it from what we know..

Elios83

The leaked weight and size sound definetly overkill for the leaked specs. That's a bit weird.
The leaked price translate to something around PS4 launch price.
At this point I'm going blackout on Neo, we're close enough to the event that unless it is leaked like the Slim, people will start making things up in different places.

BrunoM

just updated it going by the foxconn info.

29316701415_c849ef869d_o.png
It may be in lines with your mockup they won't want it to stray away from the ps4 look the slim being the newest so there's no much confusion on it just being a small upgrade not a ps5..

And good job looks good
woah, wait... 4500g? If that is accurate this thing is almost double the weight of OG PS4. What the hell is in this thing? My only guess is the PSU needed to be more beefy if they're upgrading the GPU thus larger and heavier.
That was my first guess the biggest part of the weight that the neo will put on is due to the psu and some goes for the cooling ..

But any ways in about 8 days we will see what's going on lol

I may just go media black out for the neo lol wanna be suprise about something on the 7th nit just a very shiny new controller lol ;)

Agree. It looks terrible.

No offense to the mockup creator. I think you did a great job with the mock itself. I just hope it looks nothing like that, lol.

Edit: If they're going for that 2-tiered look, I hope it's more similar to the PS2 like this mock...
No offense taken. I literally just took 3 different Slim pictures and stacked the top layers of each atop themselves and removed the duplicate logos / ports. This is why the heatsink fan bulge and vents aren't aligned in side view.

If I have time later I can tweak the image slightly with the changes mentioned. I was considering removing the disc slot and instead making the middle left "layer" have a disc drive portion. Perhaps power and eject coukd be part of the middle layer as well, a'la PS2. USB ports would then be in the bottom inner layer, as per the drawing. The blue LED logo was always just my own little spin on it :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't see why NEO would be notably bigger than the PS4 with an APU more efficient than PS4's was at launch, especially at 16nm

THE:MILKMAN

The leaked weight and size sound definetly overkill for the leaked specs. That's a bit weird.
The leaked price translate to something around PS4 launch price.
At this point I'm going blackout on Neo, we're close enough to the event that unless it is leaked like the Slim, people will start making things up in different places.

To give an idea how big the difference is (1.7KG) is that the fat PS3 was 5KG and the PS3 slim 3.2KG (1.8KG difference) and that was a substantial size and parts difference.

The only things that would need beefing up (weight wise) for Neo would be PSU, HSF and a bit more plastic. Doesn't add up to anywhere near 1.7KG, though...?

Must be some secrets in there.

I do not know how to feel about this.

The disc drive and USB slots are odd too. I would put them the other way around.

It's not something I would really go for either, and I expect it is not what it really looks like going by how Sony designs consoles. I doubt it accurate but I tried to make some sense from the Foxconn info we were provided and do a mock from those including the sketches.

Can't wait for 7th, gonna be a slow week, hope they actually show it hahaha.
tumblr_m9n748eJkd1qg10xjo1_500.gif

Dovahking

woah, wait... 4500g? If that is accurate this thing is almost double the weight of OG PS4. What the hell is in this thing? My only guess is the PSU needed to be more beefy if they're upgrading the GPU thus larger and heavier.

I think it's the only thing that makes sense.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Meanwhile Apple be like our next big event is on the 7th. Luckily it seems to be at 1 PM EST so in theory there shouldn't be overlap.

Gotta fight for that media coverage doe.

FWIW Adam Boyes shut down that rumour, explicitly saying that the whole thing had been set in stone for months.

That's a shame.

Even more of a shame when you realise they never once thought ending with Days Gone (after already revealing it earlier in the evening) was a bad idea.

Foxconn artist latest update on our mockup.

215240hhsfnf2nj8hk8dnh.jpg

1. button on the first layer, not second.
2. light bar(?) together with button
3. 2 USB, at layer 2
4. disc drive at layer 1
5. power plug (that hole) bigger than OG PS4
6. White logo
7. Weight 4500g

Veteran worker said....around RMB3000.

So does this confirm just two front USB ports? If that does turn out to be the case, that's very irritating:

I can partly understand Sony's decision to omit rear USBs from the original design, as the design predates PSVR.

I can understand omitting them from the slim redesign, as a cost-saving measure.

Why omit them from the Neo? It's a premium console, so cost isn't going to make a huge difference. They must have known the PSVR connectivity requirements when finalising the Neo design. Is everyone going to have trailing USB cables going from the front of one unit to the back of another? Judging by the weight they are going for premium materials, but its looks are still going to be compromised by the trailing cable. Stupid decision if this is the case.

Venom Fox

Banned
That's a shame.

Even more of a shame when you realise they never once thought ending with Days Gone (after already revealing it earlier in the evening) was a bad idea.
Obviously they're going to say that though. If they admitted it, it may have looked bad on them. Even so if they'd agreed with R* to delay the reveal then they wouldn't just come out and say it lol.

Simo

That's a shame.

The rumor got refueled recently though because the guys over on Kinda Funny speculated Red Dead being the stinger for the Neo reveal next week and Colin mentioned that while he had shrugged off the E3 rumor as being just a rumor, he then heard the same story from people and friends that he "absolutely fucking trusts" and wondered if that then meant something for the Playstation Meeting..

Also yeah Sony aren't going to officially announce one of Rockstar's games by going "Yeah we had planned to reveal it but it got cut".

Jonboy

Any reason why people are so infatuated with the idea of more USB ports?

I think people aren't as concerned with how many, as they are concerned with where the ports are located. The majority of people from what I've read prefer the USB ports in the back.

That's where I prefer them because it keeps the front of the console looking clean on my desk.

See that's the thing with these new fangled "USB" ports. Cables don't have to be permanently connected!!! How fucking great is that right! Right! It's fucking amazing.

Wow, bit hostile!

I wasn't planning on plugging and unplugging the PSVR processing unit every time I intend to play something in VR. Is that unreasonable?

Torkith

I've been so out of the loop on Neo, guess we'll find out everything soon... But, has there been any talk/rumours of any form of backwards compatibilitty? (1/2/3?)

Elven_Star

MS will have a surprise stream at the same time as Sony wherein they will proclaim "Our shit is doper".

Well, it better be, considering the fact that it's coming out much later. Somebody in this thread mentioned something about new APUs not being ready even for Scorpio's launch. If that's the case, their shit can't be that much doper....or can it?

See that's the thing with these new fangled "USB" ports. Cables don't have to be permanently connected!!! How fucking great is that right! Right! It's fucking amazing.

How so?

If using 14nm (probably not) the console would be smaller, produce less heat and use less power. I suppose it depends on what GPU they use but if it is 16nm or below it should be the same size console then OG PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom