• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
I'm talking about the platform itself. Both are moving in the Steam/iOS/Andoird direction, which is long past due.

I know what you were talking about. I'm saying Microsoft hasn't exactly spelled that out yet. It's heavily implied and probably a safe bet but it's just being inferred at this point. All we know right now is that games will work on Xbox One and Scorpio

Nah. They will sell the PSVR hardware with the breakout box. It just means we would have less of a mess to hook it up to a Neo.

I would love that.

I'm sure consumers would like it, but those are sunk costs for Sony. They're creating technology that some percentage of consumers are literally going to stick in the closet and never use. It wouldn't be cost effective for them.

QaaQer

Forward compatibility should be a huge talking point during the meeting. Microsoft made it clear with Scorpio that all of the work they put into the Xbox One will not go to waste. Sony need to make it clear that all of the work that they've put into the current PlayStation will be their foundation for the future. No more cutoffs.

Shuei said no, trad gens still a thing at Sony.

Trago

Nah, what I want them to talk about is that the Neo is just an extension of the PS4, and that from this point onwards there will be ongoing backwards compatibility in every console. So yeah the work doesn't go to waste in that sense. That's it.

I don't want PS5 games to have to be forward compatible with the neo or ps4.

That's essentially what I'm saying. The games, features, store, UI, etc. carry over to the new box. Starting from scratch would demonstrate that they are far behind the times.

Shuei said no, trad gens still a thing at Sony.

Source?

NOOI

Banned
You'd think Microsoft would put some news out on 7th September or the day after perhaps, as their whole strategy for the next 12 months is going to be essentially: "WAIT FOR OUR THING. PLEASE DON'T BUY SONY'S. PLEASE WAIT."

I guess it depends what they've got ready, but they'll try something I'm sure.

The issue is does MS even have anything to show? They probably finished the Scorpio blueprints by now, but I doubt they have finalised more than a few prototypes.

What Microsoft needs is either price announcement or full target hardware announcement. If they don't have either then they have nothing to say.

That actually looks alright. I especially like the blue logo.
Thanks! It's literally the top half of a PS4 Slim atop a PS4 Slim, but the blue LED thing was my touch from the original mockup (including the 3D version I was trying to make yesterday).

SgaR4JR.jpg

farisr

That's essentially what I'm saying. The games, features, store, UI, etc. carry over to the new box. Starting from scratch would demonstrate that they are far behind the times.
Not really. There's a big difference between forward compatibility and backwards compatibility. Forward compatibility = perpetual cross-gen games. No thanks.

wapplew

Thanks, but a bit too late for me to go and start signing up for stuff. Lunch time nears and have some stuff to finish up. PM'd you about drive / ports and which is "layer 1" and "layer 2" :)

That mock up design is hideous. Not you work but just the design.
I don't know about hideous (perhaps my flipped OG PS4 one, lol) but I just based it on the hearsay and comments in this thread about it being essentially a PS4 Slim with an additional layer so *shrugs* lol.

Personally I'd much rather they run with the PS2 influences and add in some PS3 phat in there...

Trago

Yes, but it doesn't have to be perpetual. Devs should be allowed to make exclusive games that take advantage of the hardware.

This is a very old and dated way of looking at things though. Not to mention there will definitely be a cutoff from developing for old hardware anyway at some point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Forward compatibility should be a huge talking point during the meeting. Microsoft made it clear with Scorpio that all of the work they put into the Xbox One will not go to waste. Sony need to make it clear that all of the work that they've put into the current PlayStation will be their foundation for the future. No more cutoffs.

House has already made it clear what their intent with NEO is. Its a 100% forward compatible iterative unit. That is not their full position going forward for hardware. You can bet there will be a traditional PS5, likely with much bigger focus on backwards compatibility though.

And good on them i say. You want something that is perpetually forwards compatible, there are other ecosystems you can join.

bunkitz

I get why they would want it to look very much like the Slim, but that's still pretty disappointing. The USB ports thing is weird too. Can't really complain much at the end of the day, though. It's not bad.

Trago

What should a 'PS5' even look like then? A completely new UI/store separate from the PS4? Then they will have pissed away all of the hard work they put into building up the PS4's platform. Iterating on hardware makes sure that their focus is still on the platform they've made for themselves right now. constantly improving.

House has already made it clear what their intent with NEO is. Its a 100% forward compatible iterative unit. That is not their full position going forward for hardware. You can bet there will be a traditional PS5, likely with much bigger focus on backwards compatibility though.

And good on them i say. You want something that is perpetually forwards compatible, there are other ecosystems you can join.

Wouldn't it be better to just have the PS5 the big hardware jump but on the same up to date platform as PS4?

The issue is does MS even have anything to show? They probably finished the Scorpio blueprints by now, but I doubt they have finalised more than a few prototypes.

What Microsoft needs is either price announcement or full target hardware announcement. If they don't have either then they have nothing to say.

Microsoft is due to announce some new additions to their "Surface" family this fall. If anything, I could see them having something Xbox related for those devices.

Inuhanyou

What should a 'PS5' even look like then? A completely new UI/store separate from the PS4? Then they will have pissed away all of the hard work they put into building up the PS4's platform. Iterating on hardware makes sure that their focus is still on the platform they've made for themselves right now. constantly improving.

That makes no sense. They can make a new UI for a new platform and also carry over what they have used in previous OS's along with the content.

farisr

This is a very old and dated way of looking at things though. Not to mention there will definitely be a cutoff from developing for old hardware anyway at some point.
You call it old and dated, I call it good and providing proper value for the product I purchased.

And yeah, the cutoff for the old system will be when a newer and even more powerful piece of hardware comes. Hence perpetual cross-gen.
The PS5 can have complete backwards compatibility with the PS4 without needed to go the iterative or forward compatible route.

wapplew

We've been over this topic over again and again.
Some like this approach some like the other, we don't know which they'll choose going forward.

Alright well, no one seems to know where I can find the comments from the Foxconn worker to see if they make any sense and I've got work to do before lunch, so.....

This is what you get :p

pC75C7V.jpg

Here are the direct quotes in Chinese relating to the original mockup that had the numbers on it.

1:按钮位于中间一层的下方而不是上方,关机键和读碟键按钮是横起来连在一起。
2:呼吸灯移动到了中间一层的下方位置,和按键合并。
3:USB接口只有两个,处于第二层和第三次中间。
4:读碟位于第一层和第二层的中间。
5:后置的电源插口和以往的PS4电源插口完全不一样(要大几倍)。
6:白色
7:重达4.5千克。

Ok, edit, I got this cleared up by a Chinese friend:

Blu-ray drive is in the space between bottom and middle layer. The USB are in the space between middle and top. The lightbar is where the middle comes together. They were a little confused looking at the picture and comparing to the words, it seemed like maybe the actual middle piece was a light bar, or that is may be in the middle of the actual middle.

cooldawn

The flop count is misleading. Even though Cell was a beast in crunching numbers and general power terms at the time (even today its no slouch), utilizing that complicated architecture in games was very difficult and was almost 100% never going to be fully utilized anywhere near what its theoretical max was.

Only certain parts of the CPU could actually utilize most of its full potential(the SPU's), and on top of that, third party devs and even first party devs had to also actively sacrifice CPU power to prop up the weak GPU in the PS3 to keep par with the 360's stronger GPU, because the Cell could also do a lot of GPU graphics rendering as well.

The 360's CPU, the Xenon, was much more standardized and nowhere near as ambitious as PS3's CELL design, but it was much easier to get results out of and use, and as a result most 360 third party games ran better on that machine(in addition to the RAM design and stronger GPU of course)

The Jaguar in PS4 and XB1 follows that principle as well. Its FAR easier to use than Cell ever was, and so, in combination with the general architectural efficiency of a CPU made in 2013, you actually get far better results CPU wise in gaming on Jaguar than you would during Cell's applications.

When people talk about CPU power in the 8th gen, nothing should be contrasted with CELL, as that was a weird situation on its own. Instead, the contrast should be with Xenon, as that is far more comparable. Its already been theoretically benchmarked by a dev on Trials Fusion over on Beyond3D, and apparently an 8 core jaguar clocked at 1.6GHZ is around 2.5 to 3x as fast as Xenon is in general gaming usage.

Considering both XB1 and PS4 use 7 cores at this point for gaming, they are getting pretty close to that level.
So, the really, really bad software this generation is down to what? Yet again, as a general observation, Sony first party push the boat out and third party struggle with console design, yet this generation was designed with a broad approach to architecture that developers could actually use.

Is this happening? Nope.

It's a shame Sony decided to design a more 'standardised' platform rather than push the technological curve. I doubt things would be any worse than they are now...and the results from Sony first party and in the long-term would be spectacular, as they always have been.

This current generation of consoles has been out-of-sync or, rather, PS4 Neo is probably more like where we should have been 3 years ago.

It's a sorry state of affairs.

duhmetree

Possible ignorant question... Is it possible that Sony puts their 4K HDR Processor x1 extreme into the NEO? To get quality 4K HDR upscaling no matter the content?

Trago

We've been over this topic over again and again.
Some like this approach some like the other, we don't know which they'll choose going forward.

I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Again, not really when you're saying they need to do forward compatibility and iterative. Those two things aren't required at all for that to happen.

in terns of UI and features, yes, it should be forward compatible. Games will be cross gen either way.

Inuhanyou

So, the really, really bad software this generation is down to what? Yet again, as a general observation, Sony first party push the boat out and third party struggle with console design, yet this generation was designed with a broad approach to architecture that developers could actually use.

Is this happening? Nope.

It's a shame Sony decided to design a more 'standardised' platform rather than push the technological curve. I doubt things would be any worse than they are now...and the results from Sony first party and in the long-term would be spectacular, as they always have been.

This current generation of consoles has been out-of-sync or, rather, PS4 Neo is probably more like where we should have been 3 years ago.

Which bad software are you referring to?

As for crying about PS4's specs, its 3 years too late. They went with what they went with and they sold a mettric shit ton cause of the good decisions made. That's a lot more important to keeping the industry solvent than acting like its the year 2000 in regards to making horribly complex and expensive components with stupid names to make them sound better than they actually are. Especially in such a competitive environment we have right now for people's time and energy.

inner-G

Banned
Here are the direct quotes in Chinese relating to the original mockup that had the numbers on it.

Google Translate:

1: button is located below the middle layer rather than above, its reading off key and key buttons is a cross-linked together.

2: breathing lights moved to the position below the middle layer, and the key merger.

3: USB interface to only two in the second and third intermediate layer.

4: its reading in the middle of the first layer and the second layer.

5: Rear power socket and a conventional power socket PS4 is completely different (to several times).

6: White

7: weighing 4.5 kg.

wapplew

I hope Sony is not using the awful Jaguar CPUs if it's $450.

Who cares what core they use, Jaguar, Steamroller, Excavador, Zen, just some name they put in to make it sound better than the last one.
Real performance is what matters. Let's see how they perform before we write it off.

kennyamr

sony will have 2 conferences in less than a week?

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/2016-playstation-press-conference-japan-dated-september-13

Neo sure is a big thing for sony

Sept 7 for the Slim, Neo, and PSVR (maybe showing old games running on Neo).

TGS for upcoming games and reveals, focused in the Japanese market.

nothing wrong with that, they could have made the Neo presentation during TGS but since the end of the PS3 era, Sony is clearly switching its main focus from Japan to America and Europe. They need the press here.

Google Translate:

1: button is located below the middle layer rather than above, its reading off key and key buttons is a cross-linked together.

2: breathing lights moved to the position below the middle layer, and the key merger.

3: USB interface to only two in the second and third intermediate layer.

4: its reading in the middle of the first layer and the second layer.

5: Rear power socket and a conventional power socket PS4 is completely different (to several times).

6: White

7: weighing 4.5 kg.
That's actually pretty accurate. My wife translated it almost the exact same way.
Looks like we'all get a slim-like light + power button?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know about hideous (perhaps my flipped OG PS4 one, lol) but I just based it on the hearsay and comments in this thread about it being essentially a PS4 Slim with an additional layer so *shrugs* lol.

Personally I'd much rather they run with the PS2 influences and add in some PS3 phat in there...
PS3 phat influence would be cool. Rectangular base and curved top layer.

Ok, edit, I got this cleared up by a Chinese friend:

Blu-ray drive is in the space between bottom and middle layer. The USB are in the space between middle and top. The lightbar is where the middle comes together. They were a little confused looking at the picture and comparing to the words, it seemed like maybe the actual middle piece was a light bar, or that is may be in the middle of the actual middle.
Thanks! However, this still doesn't make sense based on the sketch and my mockup. Hm....

That's actually pretty accurate. My wife translated it almost the exact same way.
Looks like we'all get a slim-like light + power button?
Can you ask here where, definitively, the USB ports are and disc drive go? As far as it sounds, ports are in middle top inner layer, and the disc drive is the lower inner layer?

Is this happening? Nope.

PS3 was a disaster that cost Sony billions.
We're never gonna see anything like that again. PS4 on the other hand is a massive success for them, so they clearly made the right move.

And technical powerhouse or not, games like UC4, The Order and Driveclub are gorgeous.

Buy a PC if you something state of the art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom