• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chobel

My predictions:

- PS4 Slim launches on September 8th. 500GB $299, 1TB game bundle $349
- Current PS4 model gets $100 price cut.

- Neo launches on either Sept. 29th, Oct. 13th, or Nov. 10th. 1TB $449, 2TB $499. No game bundles.

While the bold is possible, there's no way they're gonna announce it in the conference. It would create too much confusion and may backfire on them.

Welfare

Games would be more like 4K-ish though ("4Kinda" as someone said). Wouldn't they want something name wise they could repeat with PS5?
or even PS Vita

Sony don't have a problem using different for a different device
just like with going from PS Portable to PS Vita
so using "4K" now changes nothing for what the PS5.5 will be called. What name would perfectly describe a PlayStation device that plays media at 4K besides PS4K?

While the bold is possible, there's no way they're gonna announce it in the conference. It would create too much confusion and may backfire on them.
Yeah, they could announce it after the conference, but could also state that current CoD bundles are "while supplies last" at $249.

farisr

I frankly don't think the OG is going to be cheaper than the slim. And yeah, they definitely won't go into the "the original model will be priced this." They'll just announce whatever the price is for the slim, and that'll be the price for the OG PS4 as well at retailers until they go through the stock.

This isn't an xbox one scenario where the XB1S was undoubtedly better and had more features making the original one less attractive to consumers.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sony don't have a problem using different for a different device
just like with going from PS Portable to PS Vita
so using "4K" now changes nothing for what the PS5.5 will be called. What name would perfectly describe a PlayStation device that plays media at 4K besides PS4K?
PlayStation 4 Plus.
It's a PS4 plus more than just a resolution bump.
Higher frame rates, better IQ at 1080p, HDR, etc...

Futurematic

PSX 4.

The X isn't used by Apple or Samsung or Microsoft, has historical precedent (PSX DVR), nostalgia via the original PS1 branding as PSX, and unlike "4K" is a brand they can carry forward to PS5.

Earlier in the thread someone was all about the PS4X which isn't bad and does make sense, but PSX being the premium brand of PS works better than "X" tacked on. Plus with multiple other companies using a modifying letter after numeral to indicate a half step upgrade, perhaps Sony will mix it up (this is the kind of idea that many marketing folk love, copy of proven thing but tweak).

MchugN

"Playstation 4K" cheapens the PS4 brand and uses the "4K" brand which Sony doesn't own. It's not going to happen.

I agree with this, it sounds kind of cool now but in retrospect it would sound cheap. Like if they labeled the PS3 slim as "PS3D" because it could play some media in 3D.

I know that's not the best analogy because the PS3 slim couldn't play back 3D right away when it released but you get what I'm saying.

AmyS

I'd love to see GTA V running at 60fps in this. Would definitely upgrade.

The CPU in Neo is probably still too weak to manage that, even at 1080p. However, a more stable 30fps with much higher graphical settings, greater draw distance, more grass & foliage higher pedestrian and traffic density, better lighting, etc should be doable, and look great upscaled to 4K.

Chobel

Yeah, they could announce it after the conference, but could also state that current CoD bundles are "while supplies last" at $249.

Sony would want the focus to be on PS4 slim and nothing else, having the OG $50 cheaper go against that. Has any console maker announced a stock clearing price in press conference? Because I don't remember it happening before.

Also, Sony is in no hurry to clear stock for PS4 slim (or maybe they don't need to?), retailers already got the initial shipment (Rumors say PS4 slim release is one week after announcement)

Cake Boss

Banned
PS4K
PS4 Neo
PS4 Next
PS4 Two
PS4 X
PS4 Plus
PS4 Gold
PS4 Pro
PS4 II
PS4 Edge
PS4 X2
PS4 Blue
PS4 Duo
PS4 Force
PS4 Reso
PS4 Life

I dunno, I got drunk and tried to act as a shitty marketing agency that comes up with these stupid name, cuz I got bored.

Hawk269

Slim is going to be the same price as the current PS4...$349.99. Sony is going to make huge profits with this price point since the Slim is a lot cheaper to manufacture. PS4 is selling very well, they have no need to go lower until a competitor starts to eat into them, which at this point has not happened.

Slim is going to be the same price as the current PS4...$349.99. Sony is going to make huge profits with this price point since the Slim is a lot cheaper to manufacture. PS4 is selling very well, they have no need to go lower until a competitor starts to eat into them, which at this point has not happened.

The slim would flop before it even got out of the gates at that price point.

It will be $249 or $299 or something in between.

Not necessarily true.

Perhaps in the rest of the world the PS4 is still selling at the same rate, but in NA, sales have dropped off likely due to price-point saturation.

Plus, I doubt Sony is going to let MS undercut them by $50 again in the holidays after MS kicked their ass in 2014.

Dynomutt

Its here... Elite Controller leaked!?!?!

51549814_Alt01

http://www.target.com/p/playstation-4-elite-wireless-controller/-/A-51549814

J/k 3rd party accessories at it again! Gotta give em'credit though lol!

Welfare

Sony would want the focus to be on PS4 slim and nothing else, having the OG $50 cheaper go against that. Has any console maker announced a stock clearing price in press conference? Because I don't remember it happening before.

Also, Sony is in no hurry to clear stock for PS4 slim (or maybe they don't need to?), retailers already got the initial shipment (Rumors say PS4 slim release is one week after announcement)

I think Sony did it with the PS2 but besides that, you're right. If the old model does get a further price cut it would be post conference.

This and the iPhone conference on the same day 😍😍😍
going to a friend's house with my brother and we're making ribs and drinking PSLs while watching both conferences

c0de

If it's sata 3 then I don't care what hd is in there, will just replace with ssd. You guys do realize that sata 3 drive will actually let us reap benefits of ssd speed.

Bloodbourne load times in the 5 sec range

SATA 2 is fast enough because ssds aren't faster because of bandwidth.

Zen is binary compatible with Jaguar, just faster which like the Jaguar up clock changes the timings anyways, and also as you noted the games do actually receive a Neo patch hence a new binary (which could even allow a change in ISA).

Some people oversold you the drastic reset to zero scenarios with CPU changes... Apple changed CPU arch four times in the iPhone line (armv6 to armv7 to armv7s to arm64) as well as going from single to multi core and they changed macOS from PPC to x86 to x86-64 or x64... magic of universal/fat binaries and some emulation (necessary with the PPC MacOS9 to to x86 MacOS X transition).
Thank you! This is what I've been trying to explain to people. Sony have even fewer configurations to support than do Apple. Assuming Sony have things handled at their end, hardware changes should be pretty painless for developers, and practically invisible for users (apart from the performance increases, obviously).

I'm pretty sure the debate over how much horsepower was enough began with the original leak following GDC. Scorpio may have added fuel to the fire, but it didn't start it.
Truth. Whatever happened to power for its own sake? I'll take the best tech Sony can fit in the box, thanks.

Jaguar and Zen share an instruction set. One binary would run in both.
Exactly. Ironically, the change everyone has taken in stride — moving from GCN2 to GCN4 — is a far bigger stumbling block than the inevitable move from Jaguar to Zen. In fact, Carmack was just on Twitter, wondering what life would be like if GPUs were stable like x86.

Actually, Sony's recent clock spoofing patent specifically mentions target CPUs having L3 caches (like Zen) emulating architectures which don't (like Jaguar) and how to handle the resulting latency differences to maintain similar instruction throughput.

As of March 31st, 40m PS4's were shipped.

As of May 22nd, 40m PS4's were sold through.

As of June 30th, 43.5m PS4's were shipped.

There was some clear channel stuffing as the most the PS4 would have realistically sold in the 6 weeks between May 22nd and June 30th would been 1 million.

The PS4 sold 4.1m in the first 20 weeks of 2016, or 205,000 a week. Assuming the PS4 sold the same amount up until last week (15 weeks), that's ~43.1m PS4's sold through, which is a generous high bar. That is 400k less than the amount shipped back in June but Sony would've been shipping even more during July and mid August. They probably shipped at least an additional 500k to reach 44m so even then there is, at best, 900k PS4's out in the wild.
You're forgetting about distribution lag. The consoles they shipped Jan 1st - Mar 31st were actually sold approximately Feb 22nd - May 22nd. The consoles they shipped Apr 1st - June 30th aren't covering sales for May 22nd - Jun 30th as you assume, but rather May 22nd - July 22nd. That then lines up fairly nicely with your "weekly pace" estimate, especially if you accelerate sales a bit at the end for stock clearing. Sony aren't overstocking; they're just stocking. This is just how long it takes the stock to actually hit the shelves.

Regarding current shipment levels though, I'm guessing higher than your estimate of 44M, because they've already shipped out the slims. There are probably an ass-ton of those sitting in DCs as we speak. Otherwise, I think a worldwide supply chain level of 900k would be incredibly low at any point for PS4 – much less days before a slim launch — when you consider there's a three week supply on container ships at any given time, plus enough stock to actually fill the DCs and store shelves in a billion different countries. They had 700k in channel coming out of the launch quarter, and that was with a channel that was considerably more narrow than the current channel, and further shortened by airlifting units to help meet launch demand. I wouldn't be surprised if typical channel levels – i.e. not right before the slim launch — were 1.5M or more, because at any given time, a half-quarter's worth are still on the ships and trucks. Then boost that by another 1-2M for the impending slim launch, prolly.

Physics? Yes

A.I.? Pathfinding only (Polaris supports FP16, which is ideal for that)

Branchy A.I. code still needs CPU processing power (MIPS, not flops), so IPC matters in that case.
"Detection" too. (i.e. determining what the actors can see and hear) What make FP16 better for pathfinding? Does GCN2 not support FP16 math?

That's what a NEO mode means, just pertaining to having something other than a base mode. It doesn't mean they have to take advantage of NEO's specs beyond that. The only requirement is that the game is 1080p and runs the same or better than PS4.
Neo mode games are also required to output Faux-K at minimum when connected to a UHD display. They're encouraged to provide alternate enhancements when connected to HD displays, but it's not required.

If this is real I will tattoo an Ps emblem in my butt.
Gah!! You'd better hope it isn't! D:

MrMatt555

Let's not forget this important tidbit as per Kotaku's initial story:

The circle of people who knew about this upgraded PS4 was small until recently. I first heard about the device from one trusted source, then two. Kotaku’s Jason Schreier and Stephen Totilo were also able to independently verify the existence of these hardware plans with their own developer sources, although some of the details have been vague; one source told us that the device felt “exploratory” and that it may not even be released this year.

Yeah I'm not 100% convinced it'll be out this year and I think folks should dial their expectations back a bit in that regard.

I'd love for it and a possible FFXV update, but at the same time I'm also about to drop $500 on PSVR, so there's that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Let's not forget this important tidbit as per Kotaku's initial story:

If it wasn't releasing this year, they would not be announcing it before the end of the year, nor would they have requirements by september and october specifically

I just wanted to say I like my new method of not writing down dates or trying to remember them since they would come faster and it would be hard not to notice the news afterwards. This is working for me since this event is in two days.
65255887.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom