• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th [Will Be Livestreamed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I like how everyone thinks it's PS4. I really like the optimism but I feel pretty comfortable in saying this has nothing to do with PS4. Facts are:

- Kaz said they would let MS show their hand first. MS is definitely not announcing prior to February 20th
- Sony has 3 big 1st party games still coming for PS3 (TLOU, GOWA, Beyond) with GOW less than a month after Feb 20th and TLOU less than 3 months after it. A PS4 announcement would undoubtedly negatively effect the sales of those games.

IMHO I think the most likely scenarios are:

1) PS Gaikai - rental service for PS services. Play legacy PS games on a browser, tablet. Play PS1/2/3 on vita with a lower res for the PS3 games. Play PS4 games on PS3 with lower res, etc
2) PS Vita 2000/XL/Tablet/Phone/Mini/Whatever along with a price drop. Took 3 years for the first PSP redesign, but the 3000 and the GO were just 1 year apart. Times have also changed, 3DS XL came some 15 months after the 3DS and the vita sales are pathetic but they said they want the vita to be around for the long haul. This is the best time to try to revive it and relaunch it as if they try to announce a redesign/price drop AND the PS4 at E3, the Vita news will get swallowed by PS4 hype
3) Games. Not as likely because they won't show PS4 games and all big PS3 games that are coming out have already been announced and are pretty much set in stone. It would be mainly major vita games to try to revive the platform like Nintendo tried to do with the WiiU on the last Nintendo Direct. Maybe show big 3rd party games, if R* was indeed working on it like they were rumored to be, get their game out there, or something like that.
4) PS4 announcement. I conceive it's possible, but Sony would have to be pretty fucking dumb to announce it on the 20th

Absolutely not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I like how everyone thinks it's PS4. I really like the optimism but I feel pretty comfortable in saying this has nothing to do with PS4. Facts are:

- Kaz said they would let MS show their hand first. MS is definitely not announcing prior to February 20th
- Sony has 3 big 1st party games still coming for PS3 (TLOU, GOWA, Beyond) with GOW less than a month after Feb 20th and TLOU less than 3 months after it. A PS4 announcement would undoubtedly negatively effect the sales of those games.

1) PS Gaikai - rental service for PS services. Play legacy PS games on a browser, tablet. Play PS1/2/3 on vita with a lower res for the PS3 games. Play PS4 games on PS3 with lower res, etc
2) PS Vita 2000/XL/Tablet/Phone/Mini/Whatever along with a price drop. Took 3 years for the first PSP redesign, but the 3000 and the GO were just 1 year apart. Times have also changed, 3DS XL came some 15 months after the 3DS and the vita sales are pathetic but they said they want the vita to be around for the long haul. This is the best time to try to revive it and relaunch it as if they try to announce a redesign/price drop AND the PS4 at E3, the Vita news will get swallowed by PS4 hype
3) Games. Not as likely because they won't show PS4 games and all big PS3 games that are coming out have already been announced and are pretty much set in stone. It would be mainly major vita games to try to revive the platform like Nintendo tried to do with the WiiU on the last Nintendo Direct. Maybe show big 3rd party games, if R* was indeed working on it like they were rumored to be, get their game out there, or something like that.
4) PS4 announcement. I conceive it's possible, but Sony would have to be pretty fucking dumb to announce it on the 20th
PlayStation Meeting.

Look back at previous ones and what happened.

They're for new platforms.

This thread is moving to damn fast. I just want to repost this in case anyone missed it. Anyone willing to take any bets? I would almost be will to bet my account if this is a ps4 announcement and it doesn't go like this.

I would definitely be willing to change my avatar to whatever of anyone choosing, and Vise versa. We have to lay down the ground rules though.

I don't think they'll do hardly any of that. You guys will likely be pretty disapointed about the actual details and amount of info revealed.

Heres my PREDICTION:

-PS4 anouncement with concept images. in right bottom hand corner it will say "subject to change"

-Speech about there overall direction for the console and what they think it means for the industry.

-very very basic details of the device.

"See you at E3!" on the last slide. THE END

This will close out the very end of the meeting. It will be preceeded by trailers and info for GoW: A, Beyond: Two Souls(whihc may get a release date), and The Last of Us. Sales updates for PS3 and Vita, AND pricedrops for both. OH almost forgot, a couple sizzle reals throw in showing Vita and PS3 software for good measure.

BAM

You forgot "for $599 US DOLLARS!"

Beardz

s95UbbB.gif

libregkd

I like how everyone thinks it's PS4. I really like the optimism but I feel pretty comfortable in saying this has nothing to do with PS4.
You have to remember, the last two times they used the words "Playstation Meeting" they unveiled the Vita and unveiled launch plans for the PS3.

Baki

No. Just no.

PlayStation meeting is for hardware reveals. They'd use a different name for some other type of reveal.

Yawnier

Banned

It is the PS4, without a doubt honestly.

From what I understand here, the last "Playstation Meeting" was in January 2011, where Sony unveiled new hardware (the Vita, or known as the NGP at the time).

For that reason alone, I am thinking it is a hardware reveal = PS4, it really is not that far fetched either; I mean Sony did announce the PS3 at E3 2005 when there were still plenty of great PS2 games in the pipeline due to release (SoTC, God of War 2, etc.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
People make so much of the kaz 'not going first' comment when the context of that comment was not clear and he may have been as easily referring to Nintendo and why Sony didnt't go before them, as MS specifically. I expressed skepticism at the time that the comment meant all that people thought it did.

Mr.Fresh

Ummm when PS4 is announced everyone is just gonna run to the store and sell there PS3s right? No. PS4 will not impact GOW, Beyond, or The Last of Us.

Hunter S.

I hope the bring back the batarang controller. I still haven't got over the fact that they ditched it. It looked so comfy, and to this day I still imagine myself holding it making engine noises while playing GT5. What could have been, such a shame.
Get out of here you lying heretic!!!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
People that think that this is about some vita redesign or new vita model are living in a dream world no fucking way that's happening ANY time soon.

I don't understand why people think it would be anything other than the next playstation. The idea they can't release any PS3 software after it's announced is just dense.

People that think that this is about some vita redesign or new vita model are living in a dream world no fucking way that's happening ANY time soon.
Only because they're still selling their pre launch production run :(

nickp

Neo Member
You guys are amazing. I'm hyped for the announcement, but this thread is a treasure trove of hilarious GIF reactions.

BELIEVE

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley

Just got my invite. PlayStation Meeting, February 20 NYC. #IThinkIKnowWhat'sComing
Retweeted by Michael Pachter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom