• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile powers a fan-made tech demo of remote play Left 4 Dead on Vita

sajj316

Not as an emulator, but depending on how broad your definition is, possible 'something which runs a secondary executable.'. But maybe - hopefully - he means a secondary exec on the Vita itself.

Technically, the Vita is establishing a connection to your PC so I don't see how this is running a secondary executable. Whether it's MS Word or Left 4 Dead .. the Vita is used as device to present what's on the PC.

Im not sure what downsides there would be to allowing this. Vita owners could play there vita and pc games on the vita..... I dont think many vita games will also be available on PC as well so the competition isn't there to cause an issue.

scitek

So wait, I've never really thought about it before, but what would it take to stream games from my own PC to a device like Gaikai and OnLive do? Imagine having your entire Steam library available on a far less capable laptop, or even Vita.

So wait, I've never really thought about it before, but what would it take to stream games from my own PC to a device like Gaikai and OnLive do? Imagine having your entire Steam library available on a far less capable laptop, or even Vita.

What would it take? Software modification, really. There are existing softwares that allow PC remote play, If I am correct. That's pretty much what Gaikai and OnLive does.

The only roadblock I see for this is if people somehow can pirate games and put them on pc emulators to then run on the vita. However, vita games have not been pirated to my knowledge at least, but maybe theory concern is pirating ps3 and pc games. Not that that would stop anyone from doing it anyways, since they would just play those pirated games on the pc..........sooo yea just do it.

The only roadblock I see for this is if people somehow can pirate games and put them on pc emulators to then run on the vita. However, vita games have not been pirated to my knowledge at least, but maybe theory concern is pirating ps3 and pc games. Not that that would stop anyone from doing it anyways, since they would just play those pirated games on the pc..........sooo yea just do it.

Not a roadblock in my opinion since it doesn't enable piracy on Vita itself. PC piracy is known for decades. Those that are pirating will continue to pirate. Those that don't will not.

I would love this to happen as it'll shrink my Steam and PS+ backlog.

Not a roadblock in my opinion since it doesn't enable piracy on Vita itself. PC piracy is known for decades. Those that are pirating will continue to pirate. Those that don't will not.

I would love this to happen as it'll shrink my Steam and PS+ backlog.

Yea I came to this discovery during my post lol. As o said at the end pirates will continue to pirate and play on the pc so that shouldn't be a reason to not do this. This would be a big deal and would move units if one could control their pc 1:1 anywhere in the home or even remotely through wi do away from home.

sajj316

It's creative little applications like these that will keep hackers at bay (at least a little while longer). As long as PlayStation Mobile isn't too restrictive, it will give developers a sandbox (albeit controlled) to play in.

I still think that there´s no legal backing to justify blocking something like this, it´s just streaming video from my computer to a mobile device, no hacking involved, no emulation, just the regular pc controls mapped to the vita.

But it doesnt matter, they can block it without any explanation anyway

patsu

Just sell it as a virtual desktop for PC (and Mac, please !). Should not have any legal issue. The experience won't be as good as a local game on Vita, but it's a good catch all solution.

There are a few more neat ideas in this domain. Let's hope he has the tenacity to work out all the kinks for this version first. Looking forward to see the app in PS Mobile Store.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Not as an emulator, but depending on how broad your definition is, possible 'something which runs a secondary executable.'
That depends entirely what this thing actually does. If it's just a remote-desktop protocol client, there's no "secondary executables" involved on PC. Besides, the latter would make distribution over PSN a bit - difficult - to say the least, even if Sony wanted it.

But the question should be phrased different - will Sony allow any apps that do communication with other devices or not? That's the Real question here (and one that may be the real sticky point, sadly).

Boss Man

Sony might not have a problem with streamers (though network partners like Netflix might complain to stop one), but sadly they would have a problem with playing another systems games on their system.
Hence this would be fine for PS3, probably not for PC. No way will this legally hit the store.
Luckily though the homebrew runner app is still free, so i hope this guy releases this ASAP.
I want me some couch-bound Minecraft & Skyrim!

edit: then again, this kind of functionality would sell a lot of Vita's, which could certainly use the help right now.
Hey, someone in Sony, push this through and it'll also stop a lot of those "ethical-hacking" arguments, as people could run all the emulators they want and stream them to Vita legally.
Are you sure? I mean, legally speaking, the Vita isn't actually running the games.

BTW, I think this was even being done back on the PSP. I'm not sure if it was as functional, but I remember seeing someone pull off a remote play of FFXI on PC to the PSP. IIRC, the lag was minimal and it was just the control scheme that made it difficult to play.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PlayStation Vita - It Only Remotely Plays Anything.

On a side note, someone should come up with an app to stream the other way around. From Vita to PC (for video recording / screenshot taking purposes).

patsu

PlayStation Vita - It Only Remotely Plays Anything.

It is the master controller for everything !
I hope some RC and robotics enthusiasts make some mad sh*t for Vita also. It should be interesting for PSEye and AR projects too.

On a side note, someone should come up with an app to stream the other way around. From Vita to PC (for video recording / screenshot taking purposes).

There are many technologies they can reuse (RemotePlay, VNC, ...). Besides, it's totally relevant to Sony's home entertainment network.

Zenaku

Um, isn't this just PSPdisp created with PS Mobile? If so, it's been done.

PSPdisp let's you control your PC via a PSP on CFW. I've used it several times to stream videos to my PSP in another room, and have even played PCSX2 via it. I've no doubt L4D would work without problems too.

patsu

I looked at the videos danhese007 posted more closely. It looks like these demoes do not use the analog sticks. Perhaps the beta didn't support the stick yet ?

The L4D video in the OP shows gyro and dual sticks use.

androvsky

I looked at the videos danhese007 posted more closely. It looks like these demoes do not use the analog sticks. Perhaps the beta didn't support the stick yet ?

The L4D video in the OP shows gyro and dual sticks use.

If it's running on the Vita, it supports the analog sticks; there's only been the one beta version that I'm aware of. I think even the older betas supported the analog pads on the Xperia Play, not completely sure about that. Depending on what his interface to the motors looks like, just using buttons and the d-pad are probably a lot easier.

I assume you mean grabbing video from native Vita games and apps? Pretty much impossible, the Mobile SDK is locked down pretty tight and there's not any facility to get into native app's memory space. Raw pointers are even disabled. It only allows managed languages (currently just C#) running on Sony's VM, don't expect a lot of crazy hacks.

androvsky

WHAT?!?!?!

EDIT: If this is real, I'm fucking glad I own a Vita!

I don't doubt it's real, the only question is if you'll be able to buy the app from the PS Mobile store. If not, you'd have to pay $99 a year and install the app through the SDK. On the plus side, at least that way you'd be able to run emulators too.

patsu

They need to release PS Mobile already.srsly

I'm wondering what Sony is waiting for too.

Downloaded the beta but haven't got time to check it out yet.

Also wondering if their PS3 "PS Mobile" compatibility came through. At some point, a well-defined path to port/run PS Mobile on iOS devices will be much welcomed too.

patsu

http://twitter.com/#!/search/#psmdev?q=#psmdev

We'll release new version SDK 0.99 very soon. #psmdev

When it's released, v0.99 will still be under beta. v1.0 will launch later this year.

From the official thread, wololo also commented on the Vita virtual desktop program:
http://wololo.net/2012/07/09/left-4-dead-on-the-vita-is-cool-but-not-what-you-think/

The game is not running on the vita, it is running on the dev’s PC, and the result is streamed to the console, while the console’s buttons are mapped to some specific keys on the PC. If you’ve ever used VNC, that’s basically the idea.

the interesting point here is that to get PSP Disp to run on your PSP, you need a CFW. That is not the case here, as everything is coded using the official playstation suite.

As far as this remote desktop application ever making it to the official playstation store… only time will tell. In the meantime, the author said he would be releasing it “soon”, which probably implies he will be releasing the source code for those of you who have the pss sdk and want to compile it.

Afrikan

ok it has released..

here is a link to the file and instructions on installation.

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12455&p=154073

I'm still getting a black screen on my vita...it shows the FPS, but the screen is black. I think this has more to do with my Microsoft Vista 64bit settings or something. I believe black screens happen when you try remote desktop here and there. But I don't know the solution for it.

(my Vita and Mobile Suite are all updated)

edit- k, fixed it.

ok it has released..

I'm still getting a black screen on my vita...it shows the FPS, but the screen is black. I think this has more to do with my Microsoft Vista 64bit settings or something. I believe black screens happen when you try remote desktop here and there. But I don't know the solution for it.

holy fuckin shit.

Afrikan

ok got it to work..

I just forgot to run the server again, and input the correct IP address.... OMG I'm typing this on my laptop, but its showing the same shit on my VITA SCREEN!! time to play some games :D

Respawn

Banned
This simply has to be approved by Sony. Seriously that's impressive stuff right there.

SHIT!! Just saw post above. WOOOOO!!!

Grokbu

Thanks for the update!

I've been waiting for this to release ever since this thread was created. This is going to be so good!

Afrikan

Silly question but I have no idea how to do step 3.

3. load and install "VitaRemoteClient" using the PSM Studio.

Little help with this please?

its the same way to install the game demos that come with the PSM Studio.

you click open file (with in the PSM Studio)

find the Remote Desktop Folder

click on the VitaRemoteClient.sln file, and open it

then make sure that you Vita is turned on...open the Suite app.

now go back to your PC and in the PSM Studio and the left side, right click VitaRemoteClient and choose "run with" and choose the Vita option.

wait a bit, and it should install the file to your Vita........I'm sure someone else could explain it easier, but its almost 7am here and I'm about fall face first on my keyboard.

patsu

ok it has released..

edit- k, fixed it.

Yes ! I set up Parallels and a Win7 VM on my new Mac yesterday just for this. Will find time to test. Need VS 2010 at least ?

The second the file was downloaded with Chrome, I got a threat detection from AVG. atieclxx.exe ... not sure what it is, bujust giving a heads up

patsu

The second the file was downloaded with Chrome, I got a threat detection from AVG. atieclxx.exe ... not sure what it is, bujust giving a heads up

It's ATI's control panel I think. Some malware shares the same name, but this should be harmless.

KillerAJD

Hah, this is pretty damn awesome! Who needs an official version of Spelunky on Vita when I can play (WARNING: NOT REALLY THAT PLAYABLE!) through this?!

Looks decent enough as far as quality goes (even with the slider way down). But it's still a bit choppy. When it runs smooth it's really responsive though, so I guess that's at least a great start.

Top Bottom