• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile powers a fan-made tech demo of remote play Left 4 Dead on Vita

patsu

The community can refine this shit, and there will certainly be more talented coders having a go right now. I would hope that Sony sees that this can sell Vitas, and the most important thing for any console is install base.
Installing now.

Smart Glass :p

The PS Mobile stack is a full blown gaming platform. It should _not_ be restricted to a remote screen model.

If they do it correctly, the PS Mobile stack should subsume RemotePlay, AirPlay and Smart Glass type protocols. We should be able to pull up a PS Mobile device and deal with different remote desktop protocols.

In similar vein, PS Mobile should be able to host a Gaikai client too. A mixed server + client game could be very interesting (e.g., Running a local game with a server MMO world together).

Afrikan

That IP should pop up on screen as soon as you start the server executable and let windows accept it.

Yes this is important if you don't know too much about this stuff.... when u run the server client, the correct IP address that you will have to input into your Vita, will pop up on the lower right side of your desktop.

patsu

Yes this is important if you don't know too much about this stuff.... when u run the server client, the correct IP address that you will have to input into your Vita, will pop up on the lower right side of your desktop.

African, does the package say anything about the underlying protocol ? I left my Windows VM portable drive at home. So I can't do any experiment at the moment. 8^(

Ardenyal

Tried upping the priority on the server program in an attempt to get a little bit better FPS... No luck as i'm still getting only 20 FPS @ 640x480.

7570451228_02d7d2a79f_b_d.jpg

480x270 gives 30 FPS but I couldn't find any game that would run at a res so low.

thuway

How poor is performance on this thing? The vids make it seem like it takes significant resources to run :(. My lowly 460m is worried.

Also is there any way to run at Native Vita res?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Good lord, it takes FOREVER for the Vita to charge enough to boot from a dead battery. It's been plugged in for 20 minutes and still won't boot yet. Worse than the damn iPhone.

Ran rp

What fps and resolution?

640 x 480 in game.

400 x 200 in the app.

About 15-20 fps.

Disabling Aero doubles the FPS for me. Very little lag with the higher FPS.

How did you get it to work? For some reason when I disable aero everything in the window freezes except for that small section in the top left corner.

Note: I set it to a higher capture area so I could take a snapshot of the whole window.

Ardenyal

PSY・S;39873499 said:
How did you get it to work? For some reason when I disable aero everything in the window freezes except for that small section in the top left corner.

Did you disable it while playing or is it like that every time you fire up the game?

Ran rp

Did you disable it while playing or is it like that every time you fire up the game?

Every time I start up a game. It looks like it's just Portal 2 though. I'm playing Skyrim without any issues right now.

Skyrim.

640 x 480 in game.

480 x 270 in app.

800 x 600 capture area.

95% Image quality.

15-20 fps. I'm also running programs in the background.

iZ4d3BbPurtGB.jpg

inI0xRVSkU40w.jpg

i51sAI7xJwxpy.jpg

Dacvak

I can't figure out how to install the Client on my Vita. Anyone have any advice?

Ardenyal

I can't figure out how to install the Client on my Vita. Anyone have any advice?

Plug Vita into PC USB. Wait until drivers are installed.
Fire up PSM Studio. Open the remoteclient sln file.
From the tool bar "Run>Run With>Vita somethingsomething"
(Start the remoteserver and input the IP to the client on Vita)

The app should be now running on Vita, you can unplug the Vita and run the remoteclient whenever as its saved on the Vita.

Dacvak

The app should be now running on Vita, you can unplug the Vita and run the remoteclient whenever as its saved on the Vita.

That's what I tried. I got an error, though:

aMueG.png

e6JbN.png

I'm not sure. Everything seems updated... I just updated the vita, I downloaded the latest Assistant on the Vita, and I have the most recent PSM Studio... What could be going wrong? PSM Studio does recognize the Vita as [ON] and connected.

patsu

Vita remote desktop guide:
http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/wk4f9/vita_remote_desktop_guide_45_fps/

My framerate is only 20 - 25 FPS! How are you getting 45-50+?!
When I saw digitalarts001's first video, I made my own Remote Desktop. One of the quirky features I noticed in my own was that if I set the Windows 7 theme to Windows 7 Basic, I noticed a HUGE performance increase, probably due to the format that the image is being captured in, and it also works in digitalarts001's remote desktop. This improved my framerate from 25-30 to 45-50. Click here to read how to do this. ...

Dacvak

Dacvak

I'm having an issue where the Remote Desktop view on the Vita is not in the top-left corner of the screen, but shifted down and to the right. So when I try something fullscreen, it only shows the lower-right portion of the screen. It's strange.

Anyway, I tried a few things, like Dolphin. It works, but no matter what, there's noticeable lag and it doesn't look great. This is fancy and novel, but I'd never actually play a game like this.

If it improves, though, I'm there.

brainpann

Gave this a go tonight and must say that I am very impressed so far. I tried out a few things, mostly emulators, playing some FF12, Killer Instinct, and Street Fighter 3. It will be nice to see how much better the next iterations are.

Dacvak

Ok, so once I started getting 50fps, it became more playable. I played a bit of New Super Mario Bros Wii on it, it was kinda fun.

But of course I'd rather just play it on my laptop, lol.

I'll be following this thread. I can't wait to see how this project looks in the future. I finally got my hands on a Vita today at Target and really loved the look and feel of the device.

When I go to "run with" Vita isn't an option. Help!

patsu

Wait, so how are people getting this? Is Playstation Mobile already out? Should I be able to get it on my Xperia Play?

They just released PS Mobile v0.99 yesterday (or the day before). It's still in beta.

Somewhere in this thread, you should be able to find:
* PS Mobile v0.99 download link
* Virtual desktop program download link. The program is an early prototype. Gives a glimpse of PS Mobile's potential/capability.

They just released PS Mobile v0.99 yesterday (or the day before). It's still in beta.

Somewhere in this thread, you should be able to find:
* PS Mobile v0.99 download link
* Virtual desktop program download link. The program is an early prototype. Gives a glimpse of PS Mobile's potential/capability.

Thank you!

brainpann

I'll be following this thread. I can't wait to see how this project looks in the future. I finally got my hands on a Vita today at Target and really loved the look and feel of the device.

That is why I actually ended up buying a Vita. I was in Target, tried out out Wipeout, thought to myself that it was a lot more comfortable than I had imagined and that the new Wipeout sucked.

Later that night I went out drinking and when I came home, bought a Vita and Wipeout online. Really glad I did and Wipeout 2048 is one of my favorites in the series.

So I got the program to work with my Vita, but now after I type my IP (The one that pops up bottom right) I'm sitting at a black screen with "FPS: 60" at the top left.

Bollocks

How are they only able to get ~20fps with such low resolution?
It's nothing different than streaming HD movies over the network and that just works fine wtf are they doing

Decided to give this a try quick but not for long because I'm exhausted. I finally got it on my Vita after 10 minutes but after I enter my IP it goes to a black screen. Whoops! I'll fiddle around with it tomorrow, I suppose.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It needs:
1)no restrictions on the position and the dimensions of the capture area
2)resolution on vita up to 544p
3)customizable input
4)sounds

And obviously optimization(if we want points 1 & 2 it's extremely necessary)

I tried disabling aero on vista but i have no fps boost :(

Anyone noticed you can move the window on your vita with two finger dragging? Because I'm getting the impression most haven't ;)

Incidentally, doesn't MvC PS3 already support using the Vita as a controller, using the touch screen for some combo shortcuts? I thought someone suggested Sony should do this, but it's already out there.

plasmasd

Good lord, it takes FOREVER for the Vita to charge enough to boot from a dead battery. It's been plugged in for 20 minutes and still won't boot yet. Worse than the damn iPhone.

You sure you plugged it in right? Normally this should be less than a minute. After 20 minutes, mine is usually close to 50% recharged. The Vita is probably the fastest charging device I own, after my old iPod Toch 3 8gb (which has a tiny battery that drains in no time)

plasmasd

Vita does take forever if the battery is completely dead. Its like 10-15minutes before it will power on - if completely dead. Otherwise it is the fastest charging handheld device I have.

Diebuster

I got it working, and immediately tested it with Katawa Shoujo:

At this stage it's already playable so I can't wait to see how it looks once development on the app is further along. I'm looking forward to turning my Vita into a visual novel machine. :D

Thoraxes

I got it working, and immediately tested it with Katawa Shoujo:

At this stage it's already playable so I can't wait to see how it looks once development on the app is further along. I'm looking forward to turning my Vita into a visual novel machine. :D

YES.

Has anyone gotten the Vita driver to work on Windows 8? It failed to install while I was installing the suite, and it's failed to install every time since then.

Okay, since nobody ever responded, all you have to do is reboot Windows 8 with advanced startup options (Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Restart > Troubleshooting > Advanced > Startup Settings), then when it reboots with the startup settings, hit 7 for "disable driver signature enforcement". It will boot into Windows 8, and you can re-run the setup and the Vita driver will install fine.

This is the same method to fix any driver-related issues on Windows 8; Microsoft automatically bans non-signed driver installs now.

Perkel

Banned
After spending time with it i created some instruction for newbies. (Tested it on Vista x84 SP2)

Some mod should put it on front page and reedit it (my english isn't so good)

1. Download & Install i that order:

-.Net 3.5

-PlayStation®Mobile SDK 0.99

-PlayStation®Mobile Development Assistant
Directly from Vita browser with enabled Java in options it should take you to PSN Store and from there you can download app. After instalation UPDATE IT!

-PS Vita Remote Desktop packer .rar

2. After instalation of Vita SDK on your PC run PsmStudio from your desktop. Next connect Vita to PC via USB. It should instal drivers (for Vista proper ones are with COM3 ending). Sometimes it can be wrongly detected so try few times.

3. Run PSM Dev from your Vita

4, If everything installed ok onto your PC (drivers for Vita) then Run PsmStudio and open PS Vita Remote Desktop in it:

-Click Open
-Go to folder where you unpacked it.
-Go to VitaRemoteClient folder and open VitaRemoteClient.sln
-Right click on bolded VitaRemoteClient and look for Run With >
-If drivers for Vita instalation was succes then there should be PS Vita (xxxxxxxx) on, off if assistant on Vita is not working or it is disconected.
- Don't click it. WAIT

5. Go to folder PS VITA REMOTE DESKTOP and now go to VitaRemoteServer folder and run VitaRemoteServer.exe
There should be bubble with your PC IP. Note it !

6. Check if PSM Dev on Vita is running and Vita is connected via USB to your PC.

7. Go to PSM Studio on your PC and Run with > PS Vita (xxxxxxx) on

8. It should instal VitaRemoteServer app in your PSM Dev app and auto start it.

9. Box will show when you need to type your PC IP from point 5.

10. Click Connect after typing you IP and Voila !

Attention ! Note that program is unstable and in early development stage so that mean it could not work on your PC because of various reasons. Sometimes no mather what you do it won't work.

Perkel

Banned
Hmm is everyone have this problem with double mouse ?

I tried Skyrim but right analog doesn't work. Itwork but there is another mouse on top of my game. Looks like mouse codon't swith to skyrim

Top Bottom